Armissea
Armissea
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Supporter
Level 55
Gamer
Windows 7 Nov. 6th, 2009 @ 03:55 PM Reply

Have any of you gotten a new PC yet or at least tried it? Post your honest opinion on this OS and if its worth buying or not.

So far the only downside thats confirmed is the fact that XP users cannot upgrade only Vista users.

BBS Signature
Rohedin
Rohedin
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 18
Blank Slate
Response to Windows 7 Nov. 6th, 2009 @ 03:57 PM Reply

It's a good, stable release. I'd still say it's a pretty big memory hog, 500mb RAM used at least without any programs open. I've used it for 11 months now, using various preview builds and have yet to experience any real problems other than the built-in printer driver not working (I just had to download the proper one).

EgoistXIV
EgoistXIV
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 09
Blank Slate
Response to Windows 7 Nov. 6th, 2009 @ 03:58 PM Reply

Been using the RC ever since it came out and the beta before it. I can't really find anything negative about it.

The greatest pain is wrought by the sweetest revenge.

BBS Signature
Wolfos
Wolfos
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 25
Game Developer
Response to Windows 7 Nov. 6th, 2009 @ 03:58 PM Reply

I actually had more problems with it than with vista, I have it installed one day now and I couldnt manage to run crysis on it (ran fine on vista, so Im glad I kept my vista partition).

altough its really much like a mac now; its nearly as fast as a mac, half as beautiful (thats still pretty beautiful) and the overal feeling is not that static windows feeling anymore but more like a mac.

altough I can play more games on my mac than I have managed in windows 7, but Ill try some more.

Sh0T-D0wN
Sh0T-D0wN
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 46
Blank Slate
Response to Windows 7 Nov. 6th, 2009 @ 03:59 PM Reply

At 11/6/09 03:55 PM, Ultor wrote: Have any of you gotten a new PC yet or at least tried it? Post your honest opinion on this OS and if its worth buying or not.

I got it for free through my college a few weeks ago, and I upgraded my 1-month old desktop from Vista to 7.

... And it's amazing. The start up time is a fraction of what it was with Vista, and 7 itself is just a smoother OS. It hasn't froze on me or anything yet and It never lags. At least is hasn't yet anyway.

Yeah, I'd say it's worth it.

BBS Signature
Krbyfan1
Krbyfan1
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 29
Melancholy
Response to Windows 7 Nov. 6th, 2009 @ 04:21 PM Reply

I don't see a need for me to change to Windows 7. My laptop, once all the kinks were hammered out, works just fine with Vista.

I used to get Blue Screens randomly, but that was because of 2 Anti-Virus programs were installed. (Hurr) And one that was taken care of, everything's fine. Uprgading would just cost me time and money.

Krbyfan1(kur-bee-fan-one)- A creature that resides in the state of Colorado. Distinguished by his size, love of small mammals, video games, and the anime series "Tenchi Muyo!"

BBS Signature
Innermike
Innermike
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 14
Audiophile
Response to Windows 7 Nov. 6th, 2009 @ 04:22 PM Reply

Its better than vista, mac OSX is hell better but 7 is definitley better than vista

vista < XP < 7 < OSX < NG

Concerned Joe (not mine but still cool)

BBS Signature
Innermike
Innermike
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 14
Audiophile
Response to Windows 7 Nov. 6th, 2009 @ 04:24 PM Reply

At 11/6/09 04:21 PM, Krbyfan1 wrote: I don't see a need for me to change to Windows 7. My laptop, once all the kinks were hammered out, works just fine with Vista.

I used to get Blue Screens randomly, but that was because of 2 Anti-Virus programs were installed. (Hurr) And one that was taken care of, everything's fine. Uprgading would just cost me time and money.

I thought the same thing but it took me almost nothing to buy and install and i think it really is worth it, i kept my vista partition but after a month of never booting it i just deleted it

BBS Signature
Tonsil-Hockey
Tonsil-Hockey
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 11
Filmmaker
Response to Windows 7 Nov. 6th, 2009 @ 04:57 PM Reply

At 11/6/09 04:11 PM, Mendou wrote:
At 11/6/09 03:57 PM, Rohedin wrote: It's a good, stable release. I'd still say it's a pretty big memory hog, 500mb RAM used at least without any programs open.
Because people don't have more than 1GB of RAM installed into their computers.

Yeah like five years ago.

The majority of most new computers at a moderate price will have at least 3gigs of ram and will have a duo/quad core processor as well. When I was looking for my new one six months ago, I didn't come across any computers with less than 3gb of ram, just laptops. Windows 7 is waaaaay more stable than Vista, more fluid and I dunno, prettier and easier to use. I'm running it on a x4 64 processor with 8gigs of ram (at about £30/$60 for a 2gig stick its not that much really for an uprgade) and its sexily good.

But seriously 1gig of ram? The last computer I got 5 years ago had 2gigs already pre-installed, and it was a shitty cheap ass gateway...

BBS Signature
Crazyshark70
Crazyshark70
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 04
Blank Slate
Response to Windows 7 Nov. 6th, 2009 @ 05:08 PM Reply

At 11/6/09 03:58 PM, robin1232 wrote: I actually had more problems with it than with vista, I have it installed one day now and I couldnt manage to run crysis on it (ran fine on vista, so Im glad I kept my vista partition).

altough its really much like a mac now; its nearly as fast as a mac, half as beautiful (thats still pretty beautiful) and the overal feeling is not that static windows feeling anymore but more like a mac.

altough I can play more games on my mac than I have managed in windows 7, but Ill try some more.

Don't forget that you can't upgrade a mac laptop. And when you get rid of it say goodbye to $3,000 dollars! :D

BBS Signature
Innermike
Innermike
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 14
Audiophile
Response to Windows 7 Nov. 6th, 2009 @ 05:13 PM Reply

At 11/6/09 05:08 PM, Crazyshark70 wrote: Don't forget that you can't upgrade a mac laptop. And when you get rid of it say goodbye to $3,000 dollars! :D

Every penny is worth it , besides , they have such a long lifespan that by the time you need an upgrade the new macs will be hell better in design AND specs

BBS Signature
Ghost-Ryder
Ghost-Ryder
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 20
Blank Slate
Response to Windows 7 Nov. 6th, 2009 @ 05:42 PM Reply

I have Windows 7. I love it. Its mostly the same as vista except a lot faster. plus you can do a lot more things at once. Like delete more than one thing at once and stuff. Im still playing with it. but i really find no MAJOR difference other than the interface. Its mostly a performance upgrade.

RiuTenshin
RiuTenshin
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 14
Melancholy
Response to Windows 7 Nov. 6th, 2009 @ 06:01 PM Reply

At 11/6/09 05:13 PM, hdxmike wrote:
At 11/6/09 05:08 PM, Crazyshark70 wrote: Don't forget that you can't upgrade a mac laptop. And when you get rid of it say goodbye to $3,000 dollars! :D
Every penny is worth it , besides , they have such a long lifespan that by the time you need an upgrade the new macs will be hell better in design AND specs

Then shell out another 1 to 5,000 dollars for an upgrade you could have done on a PC for under $500.

i dont give a fuck a million dollars im a samurai

BBS Signature
liljim
liljim
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Staff
Level 28
Blank Slate
Response to Windows 7 Nov. 6th, 2009 @ 07:25 PM Reply

I bought a new laptop in August. It came with vista, but as with most computers after January I think, you get the option for a free upgrade to windows 7. I'm still waiting for my copy to arrive.

The new laptop I have is the exact same model that they demonstrated at a MS unveiling of windows 7. I'm not sure whether they had the solid state drive in that machine that I've put into mine, but the demo model did a full boot from cold in 11 seconds. So I'm expecting magic.

DaMiStudios
DaMiStudios
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 17
Blank Slate
Response to Windows 7 Nov. 6th, 2009 @ 07:27 PM Reply

don't have it but, Win7 is more of less what Vista was SUPPOSED to be, not a lame addon to XP.

Hoping to upgrade in next 6-8 months

JKMonkey
JKMonkey
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 29
Art Lover
Response to Windows 7 Nov. 6th, 2009 @ 07:50 PM Reply

It's pretty good, very stable and easy-to-use, kind of ugly but I guess thats debatable.

|"My dick was in the Guinness Boom of World Records... Then I left the library.|

BBS Signature
UVSoaked
UVSoaked
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 23
Artist
Response to Windows 7 Nov. 6th, 2009 @ 07:56 PM Reply

At 11/6/09 03:57 PM, Rohedin wrote: I've used it for 11 months now

Whoa, the time flew by! Over a year for me now. :p
Been working like a charm for me. I would hate to go back. :p

Fullsteel
Fullsteel
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 14
Blank Slate
Response to Windows 7 Nov. 6th, 2009 @ 08:37 PM Reply

At 11/6/09 04:22 PM, hdxmike wrote: Its better than vista, mac OSX is hell better but 7 is definitley better than vista

Vista < XP < OSX < 7 < NG

I fixed it for you.

lol signatures in a forum

Wolfos
Wolfos
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 25
Game Developer
Response to Windows 7 Nov. 7th, 2009 @ 06:57 AM Reply

At 11/6/09 03:58 PM, robin1232 wrote: I actually had more problems with it than with vista, I have it installed one day now and I couldnt manage to run crysis on it (ran fine on vista, so Im glad I kept my vista partition).

whoo! Im running crysis in 32 bit mode now (it seems only to work that way) and its running on very high instead of high now!

CapnRyan
CapnRyan
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 21
Animator
Response to Windows 7 Nov. 7th, 2009 @ 09:09 AM Reply

WRONG!, I upgraded to Windows 7 2 days ago from XP

BBS Signature
dogpup4
dogpup4
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 14
Gamer
Response to Windows 7 Nov. 7th, 2009 @ 10:22 AM Reply

I'm still with XP and at the moment, I'm definitely not changing.

DVD Collection and Game Collection
Steam: GallifreyanTimeDog
Really need to change this rubbish username.

BBS Signature
Wolfos
Wolfos
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 25
Game Developer
Response to Windows 7 Nov. 7th, 2009 @ 10:26 AM Reply

At 11/6/09 05:08 PM, Crazyshark70 wrote:.

Don't forget that you can't upgrade a mac laptop. And when you get rid of it say goodbye to $3,000 dollars! :D

yeah, and upgraded pc's are sooooo stable...

seriously, I bought my macbook for $1200, best purchase ever, but if vista was like windows 7 I wouldnt have bought it

Mikay
Mikay
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 04
Blank Slate
Response to Windows 7 Nov. 7th, 2009 @ 10:27 AM Reply

I really like it, and IMO its way faster than vista or xp. Although sometimes i miss my blue bars from XP.

thanks to Exige2009 for the first sig, and PabMo for the current one, Sorry Exige, this one is just more of what I am looking for.

Whats the matter girls?

BBS Signature
newnerdproductionsTM
newnerdproductionsTM
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 08
Blank Slate
Response to Windows 7 Nov. 7th, 2009 @ 10:39 AM Reply

Actually, doing a fresh install and then recofiguring with Windows 7 will stop a bunch of compatability problems. Just back up all of your vital information and format. Also, XP is good, but it is eight years old. Get over it.

davisev5225
davisev5225
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 11
Blank Slate
Response to Windows 7 Nov. 7th, 2009 @ 11:46 AM Reply

At 11/6/09 03:55 PM, Ultor wrote: So far the only downside thats confirmed is the fact that XP users cannot upgrade only Vista users.

1.) Download a Windows Vista ISO image and burn it to disk.
2.) Upgrade from XP to Vista. When asked, DO NOT enter a CD key, and select Vista Home Premium.
3.) Install all Windows Updates for Vista
4.) Upgrade from Vista to Win7.

Problem solved.

-Eulif Davis-

CanadianSnowman
CanadianSnowman
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 14
Blank Slate
Response to Windows 7 Nov. 7th, 2009 @ 12:02 PM Reply

There is really nothing negative about it.

AntiHero
AntiHero
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 15
Gamer
Response to Windows 7 Nov. 7th, 2009 @ 12:04 PM Reply

i havent had any real problems with it so far honestly

"On rainy days, I just sit there and make deals with the devil. The fun never ends..."

BBS Signature
Warforger
Warforger
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 06
Blank Slate
Response to Windows 7 Nov. 7th, 2009 @ 12:04 PM Reply

Meh, Vista on my laptop is working pretty good, I've never had a freeze yet not even a crash, so I don't see why I would switch.

"If you don't mind smelling like peanut butter for two or three days, peanut butter is darn good shaving cream.
" - Barry Goldwater.

BBS Signature
Armissea
Armissea
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Supporter
Level 55
Gamer
Response to Windows 7 Nov. 7th, 2009 @ 12:29 PM Reply

I mean I was thinking about it for weeks now what my next PC should be seeing as most of you guys have posted positive stuff I am not steering directly away from 7

But snow leopard might be a possibility too

BBS Signature
WillWoe
WillWoe
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 02
Blank Slate
Response to Windows 7 Nov. 7th, 2009 @ 12:52 PM Reply

No. . .

I run Linux.

Windows 7