Be a Supporter!

Oppose Downloadable Games!

  • 956 Views
  • 39 Replies
New Topic Respond to this Topic
squidly
squidly
  • Member since: Feb. 16, 2007
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Supporter
Level 25
Game Developer
Oppose Downloadable Games! Nov. 3rd, 2009 @ 06:40 AM Reply

DLC and Downloadable games have taken a step too far. Nintendo has released a statement saying that the next DS will not even use cartriges, just downloads! That's fucking ridiculous! Game boxes and their boxart and manuals have been a staple of gaming since gaming was invented! And yes, that INCLUDES board games since the early 1900's! Having no boxes and having it all completely downlaodable will be the end to that tradition, we cannot let stupid money hungry fucks ruin our past time.

I'm ok with Downloadable Games if it's a company that can't afford production costs, but for a big company like Nintendo or Microsoft, there's NO EXCUSE!

This started with DLC, and look where we're going!

Make a vow to not ever buy a downloadable game that's available elsewhere!


Good.

Jerich0
Jerich0
  • Member since: Nov. 24, 2007
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Member
Level 11
Blank Slate
Response to Oppose Downloadable Games! Nov. 3rd, 2009 @ 07:07 AM Reply

Did someone say pirate?

Oppose Downloadable Games!


BBS Signature
Sizzlebuzz
Sizzlebuzz
  • Member since: Sep. 11, 2009
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Member
Level 28
Blank Slate
Response to Oppose Downloadable Games! Nov. 3rd, 2009 @ 07:07 AM Reply

I don't agree with anything being download only. I don't see how they will make this work well.

KeithHybrid
KeithHybrid
  • Member since: May. 2, 2004
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Member
Level 03
Blank Slate
Response to Oppose Downloadable Games! Nov. 3rd, 2009 @ 07:17 AM Reply

squidly

Didn't even bother to read past that.


When all else fails, blame the casuals!

BBS Signature
RandomFreak
RandomFreak
  • Member since: Feb. 2, 2001
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Member
Level 43
Blank Slate
Response to Oppose Downloadable Games! Nov. 3rd, 2009 @ 09:59 AM Reply

Would love to actually see a rational argument against DLC, because this isn't it.

Sekhem
Sekhem
  • Member since: Feb. 20, 2006
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Supporter
Level 31
Musician
Response to Oppose Downloadable Games! Nov. 3rd, 2009 @ 10:02 AM Reply

the two things i hate most about dlc and downloadable games are the convenience and cheaper prices

seriously who the fuck do they think they are


letterboxd|||| last.fm |||| recommend me hip-hop - G O D // B L E S S // A F R I C A

BBS Signature
Shadowii2
Shadowii2
  • Member since: Sep. 30, 2006
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Member
Level 29
Game Developer
Response to Oppose Downloadable Games! Nov. 3rd, 2009 @ 10:07 AM Reply

The collector's value for games will drop down and you cannot sell the games you don't play anymore.

Those are the biggest points that tick me off with the downloadable stuff. I like collecting those boxes, instruction booklets and stuff like that. But as long the prices are decent enough, I wouldn't worry about it too much.

JUST DROP DOWN THOSE DAMN BIG PRICES FOR GAMES IN DEMANDS ON XBOX 360. Seriously.
Sekhem
Sekhem
  • Member since: Feb. 20, 2006
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Supporter
Level 31
Musician
Response to Oppose Downloadable Games! Nov. 3rd, 2009 @ 10:28 AM Reply

i will forever miss amassing a giant collection of games that take up valuable space and make me look like a giant nerd


letterboxd|||| last.fm |||| recommend me hip-hop - G O D // B L E S S // A F R I C A

BBS Signature
HellboundNinja
HellboundNinja
  • Member since: Dec. 19, 2000
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Member
Level 34
Blank Slate
Response to Oppose Downloadable Games! Nov. 3rd, 2009 @ 12:37 PM Reply

Playstation is all ready ahead of Nintendo with their latest ver of the PSP. No disks for them. Download only. For a portable I think its about time cause I don't like having to change or carry more shit then I need to. DLC does get out of hand form time to time(im looking at you Halo) but for the most part im not at all mad with how they are handling it. You gotta member most of the people making our games now are gamers young and old.
I see nothing wrong with Nintendo trying to compete with the new PSP. As long as they have a way to download games you all ready own the hard copy of for free I dont see a real issue. And fuck manuals. Most of em are useless and poorly made.
One advantage of down loading games for a portable system is no longer waiting in line at a store...which I personally hate when im trying to buy a game. Just DL it before school/work/sleep and you'll have it when you return/wake up.
Another problem I have with Video games in general is I can never find the games I want. But through the glory of the internet I can have the game I want when I want and not have to worry about traffic, waiting in lines,being asked if I would like to reserve something else, or take the chance of them being out of stock or not carrying the game due to graphic content.
I'm not saying get rid of game stores...as much as I hate the major ones...but I do like having an alternative option.


BBS Signature
ArmouredGRIFFON
ArmouredGRIFFON
  • Member since: Jan. 12, 2006
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Member
Level 06
Reader
Response to Oppose Downloadable Games! Nov. 3rd, 2009 @ 01:13 PM Reply

At 11/3/09 09:59 AM, RandomFreak wrote: Would love to actually see a rational argument against DLC, because this isn't it.

Box art looks nice making me more compelled to buy the game. Loosing out on limited edition stuff.etc


Your friendly neighbourhood devils advocate.

BBS Signature
ZJ
ZJ
  • Member since: Jul. 5, 2006
  • Online!
Forum Stats
Moderator
Level 45
Gamer
Response to Oppose Downloadable Games! Nov. 3rd, 2009 @ 01:21 PM Reply

HOLY CRAP!!! PROGRESS AND CHANGE!!!! RUN FOR THE HILLS!!1


Sig by Some Guy - AMA
Formerly PuddinN64 - Portal, BBS, Icon, and Chat Mod
"Your friends love you anyway" - Check out WhatTheDo & Guinea Something Good!

BBS Signature
Sierra
Sierra
  • Member since: Nov. 25, 2008
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Member
Level 10
Blank Slate
Response to Oppose Downloadable Games! Nov. 3rd, 2009 @ 01:24 PM Reply

I feel download will eventually take over. As it is, you can download a PDF of the manuals for 360 Games on Demand and stuff online. Download won't completely take over for another while though, in my opinion. For a start, download speeds is some countries are less than practical. Perhaps when download speeds increase, and more people are connected to the Internet, it could be a good idea.


I'm on Last.fm!
Also, I used to be YeOldeSierra. Now I'm just Sierra :3

Crink
Crink
  • Member since: Feb. 16, 2008
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Member
Level 24
Blank Slate
Response to Oppose Downloadable Games! Nov. 3rd, 2009 @ 02:43 PM Reply

At 11/3/09 07:17 AM, KeithHybrid wrote:
squidly
Didn't even bother to read past that.

woot forum hate

Anyways, manuals have become obsolete and have been for a long time since games told you the instructions in game. The DS DL service will probably be awesome like Steam and bind games to accounts so you'll never ever lose said game. The only thing that you'll be missing is kickass box art.

You seem like the type who would have complained about industrilisation.

Make a vow to not ever buy a downloadable game that's available elsewhere!

but i <3 steam


hey

BBS Signature
BenelliM4
BenelliM4
  • Member since: Oct. 26, 2008
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Member
Level 15
Blank Slate
Response to Oppose Downloadable Games! Nov. 3rd, 2009 @ 02:47 PM Reply

The only real argument I can think of against download-only devices is that if you buy a bad game, you can't return it.


Here's my Dtoid account. And my Urban Terror ID is BenelliM4-Medic. And I know Travis Touchdown isn't a Capcom character, but I put him in anyway.

BBS Signature
KeithHybrid
KeithHybrid
  • Member since: May. 2, 2004
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Member
Level 03
Blank Slate
Response to Oppose Downloadable Games! Nov. 3rd, 2009 @ 03:07 PM Reply

At 11/3/09 02:43 PM, Crink wrote:
At 11/3/09 07:17 AM, KeithHybrid wrote:
squidly
Didn't even bother to read past that.
woot forum hate

Indeed. :)

Back on topic: we are eventually going to reach a point where physical media is obsolete, since it's ten times easier to keep a game on a computer than it is to lug around a physical copy of that game.

As to the box art and manual arguement: I don't care much for box art, and manuals suck nowadays anways, so fuck 'em.


When all else fails, blame the casuals!

BBS Signature
squidly
squidly
  • Member since: Feb. 16, 2007
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Supporter
Level 25
Game Developer
Response to Oppose Downloadable Games! Nov. 3rd, 2009 @ 03:21 PM Reply

At 11/3/09 01:21 PM, puddinN64 wrote: HOLY CRAP!!! PROGRESS AND CHANGE!!!! RUN FOR THE HILLS!!1

This isn't progress and change! This is ruining our culture! Was the destruction of the Ancient Greek civilization progress? Was the Church banning half of everything during the midevil ages related to science progress?

Think before you speak, and KeithHybrid, stop spamming my posts, and no, don't attack me with the whole "but your topics are spam, lol" because if it was spam, it wouldn't have brought up so many responses that are decent.


Good.

Thegluestickman
Thegluestickman
  • Member since: Mar. 16, 2007
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Member
Level 13
Game Developer
Response to Oppose Downloadable Games! Nov. 3rd, 2009 @ 04:02 PM Reply

I would accept this change, if I had a credit card.

Seriously a family and younger person oriented company should know that kids don't have credit cards. Also, I shouldn't have to buy points if I want a game. I should be able just to get the game.


To protect the world from devastation.
kidd25 is the best Newgrounder ever.

BBS Signature
huntarus
huntarus
  • Member since: Aug. 31, 2009
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Member
Level 10
Blank Slate
Response to Oppose Downloadable Games! Nov. 3rd, 2009 @ 04:14 PM Reply

While there have been some rumors about Nintendo recently (Blu-Ray Wii), I don't think Nintendo will go with a no-download format. Besides, it would hurt their sales, unless they offered a iTunes-like digital manager, and a cable to transfer DS games to the PC (encoded of course).

The only rational argument with offering DLC and downloadable games is piracy. The only way companies can prevent piracy is by making games require a disk to run, which would hurt sales. That is the only rational argument against DLC. Having no internet is not rational, because unless you are Amish or poor (no offense to those who are), you probably have internet.


Exit, pursued by a bear - Shakespearean stage direction - The Winter's Tale

KeithHybrid
KeithHybrid
  • Member since: May. 2, 2004
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Member
Level 03
Blank Slate
Response to Oppose Downloadable Games! Nov. 3rd, 2009 @ 04:17 PM Reply

At 11/3/09 03:21 PM, squidly wrote: This isn't progress and change! This is ruining our culture!

Bitch, please. Ruining our culture? That can't be any worse than the proliferation of QTEs...

Was the destruction of the Ancient Greek civilization progress? Was the Church banning half of everything during the midevil ages related to science progress?

Apples, oranges, and maybe a banana. None of those partain to gaming, you're just being a whiny reactionary little bitch.

Think before you speak

Okay. *thinks* You suck.

and KeithHybrid, stop spamming my posts

But your posts are-

and no, don't attack me with the whole "but your topics are spam, lol"

DAMMIT!

:because if it was spam, it wouldn't have brought up so many responses that are decent.

No, it wouldn't. You seem to have your posts confused for posts by people who actually have an iota of respect and credibility.

Oh, and before I forget, you also triggered my Age Card.

squidly: Age/Gender: 15, Male

When all else fails, blame the casuals!

BBS Signature
Aigis
Aigis
  • Member since: Jun. 18, 2009
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Member
Level 09
Artist
Response to Oppose Downloadable Games! Nov. 3rd, 2009 @ 04:25 PM Reply

This idea makes a lot of sense for portable consoles.

I've always had the trouble of having to carry around a bunch of cartridges with my DS if I wanted to play my games (until I got my DSTT), and that was a real pain to have to do.

If Nintendo are trying to end that, then I welcome the change.

Of course now that there's no cost for them to ship the game we should really be getting them for a cheaper price.


Aigis - Putting the 'ai' back in 'Aigis'.

BBS Signature
Meepster
Meepster
  • Member since: Jun. 11, 2007
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Member
Level 25
Blank Slate
Response to Oppose Downloadable Games! Nov. 3rd, 2009 @ 04:36 PM Reply

Who the hell cares, it's nintendo. They already screwed up all their series after the wii and DS. Their not the same company they were before.


brb ninjas surrounding house

BBS Signature
Jackho
Jackho
  • Member since: Dec. 20, 2008
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Member
Level 31
Gamer
Response to Oppose Downloadable Games! Nov. 3rd, 2009 @ 05:00 PM Reply

Your argument is invalid.


last.fm / letterboxd / backloggery / mal / follow me if you think you can handle it

BBS Signature
huntarus
huntarus
  • Member since: Aug. 31, 2009
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Member
Level 10
Blank Slate
Response to Oppose Downloadable Games! Nov. 3rd, 2009 @ 06:30 PM Reply

At 11/3/09 05:00 PM, Jackho wrote: Your argument is invalid.

agreed

Oppose Downloadable Games!


Exit, pursued by a bear - Shakespearean stage direction - The Winter's Tale

akmeteor
akmeteor
  • Member since: Jul. 19, 2005
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Member
Level 10
Gamer
Response to Oppose Downloadable Games! Nov. 3rd, 2009 @ 06:40 PM Reply

Oh, and before I forget, you also triggered my Age Card.

squidly: Age/Gender: 15, Male

Hmmm for some reason I think you're lying about your damn age. It should probably be more like this

KeithHybrid: Age/Gender: N/A Male

Yes I'm saying you are an underaged user.


Well.

Shit.

squidly
squidly
  • Member since: Feb. 16, 2007
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Supporter
Level 25
Game Developer
Response to Oppose Downloadable Games! Nov. 3rd, 2009 @ 06:53 PM Reply

At 11/3/09 04:17 PM, KeithHybrid wrote:
At 11/3/09 03:21 PM, squidly wrote: This isn't progress and change! This is ruining our culture!
Bitch, please. Ruining our culture? That can't be any worse than the proliferation of QTEs...

This is not PROGRESS! This is not good! There is most definably going to be more bad out of this then good! We're taking one step forward and two steps back!

Was the destruction of the Ancient Greek civilization progress? Was the Church banning half of everything during the midevil ages related to science progress?
Apples, oranges, and maybe a banana. None of those partain to gaming, you're just being a whiny reactionary little bitch.

Oh I'm sorry that you can't see that I was obviously trying to RELATE what that guy said about it being progress to other notable historic events that are similar that were being "progressive."

Think before you speak
Okay. *thinks* You suck.

It doesn't even need thinking to realize that you do too, and worse.

and KeithHybrid, stop spamming my posts
But your posts are-
and no, don't attack me with the whole "but your topics are spam, lol"
DAMMIT!

:D

because if it was spam, it wouldn't have brought up so many responses that are decent.
No, it wouldn't. You seem to have your posts confused for posts by people who actually have an iota of respect and credibility.

As in everybody except you?

Oh, and before I forget, you also triggered my Age Card.

squidly: Age/Gender: 15, Male

That's the only card you play, also, 15 now, do I really need this age bullshit?


Good.

KeithHybrid
KeithHybrid
  • Member since: May. 2, 2004
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Member
Level 03
Blank Slate
Response to Oppose Downloadable Games! Nov. 3rd, 2009 @ 07:11 PM Reply

At 11/3/09 06:53 PM, squidly wrote: This is not PROGRESS! This is not good! There is most definably going to be more bad out of this then good! We're taking one step forward and two steps back!

No, steps back would be if we went back to using cassette tapes to play games.

Oh I'm sorry that you can't see that I was obviously trying to RELATE what that guy said about it being progress to other notable historic events that are similar that were being "progressive."

There is nothing similar. We're talking about video games, not the fucking Crusades.

It doesn't even need thinking to realize that you do too, and worse.

You're such a fucking idiot: not one thread you have made, not a single one, has ever been good. If I were mod, I'd just have your goofy ass banned and be done with you altogether.

D

D:<

As in everybody except you?

I have respect. Whenever I make a thread, it has meaningful conversation. Whenever you make a thread, everyone disagrees with you and calls you a fucktard.

That's the only card you play, also, 15 now, do I really need this age bullshit?

You're still a kid, you're still stupid, and you're still the posterboy for upping the required age of registration to 18.


When all else fails, blame the casuals!

BBS Signature
I-smel
I-smel
  • Member since: Mar. 2, 2006
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Member
Level 01
Game Developer
Response to Oppose Downloadable Games! Nov. 3rd, 2009 @ 07:23 PM Reply

My PC is download only.

akmeteor
akmeteor
  • Member since: Jul. 19, 2005
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Member
Level 10
Gamer
Response to Oppose Downloadable Games! Nov. 3rd, 2009 @ 07:27 PM Reply

At 11/3/09 07:11 PM, KeithHybrid wrote:
At 11/3/09 06:53 PM, squidly wrote: This is not PROGRESS! This is not good! There is most definably going to be more bad out of this then good! We're taking one step forward and two steps back!
No, steps back would be if we went back to using cassette tapes to play games.

Oh I'm sorry that you can't see that I was obviously trying to RELATE what that guy said about it being progress to other notable historic events that are similar that were being "progressive."
There is nothing similar. We're talking about video games, not the fucking Crusades.

It doesn't even need thinking to realize that you do too, and worse.
You're such a fucking idiot: not one thread you have made, not a single one, has ever been good. If I were mod, I'd just have your goofy ass banned and be done with you altogether.

D
D:<

As in everybody except you?
I have respect. Whenever I make a thread, it has meaningful conversation. Whenever you make a thread, everyone disagrees with you and calls you a fucktard.

That's the only card you play, also, 15 now, do I really need this age bullshit?
You're still a kid, you're still stupid, and you're still the posterboy for upping the required age of registration to 18.

Out of everything you said, you are nothing but a lying sack of shit that can't realize when he's wrong. You should shut the fuck up and stop playing the age card thing, because as much as you are using it you're probably lying. Also not seeing the comparisons he's making also makes you a complete idiot.

Final note is this. You have never made a thread EVER that lead to meaningful conversation.

Shut up take your toys and go home kid.


Well.

Shit.

KeithHybrid
KeithHybrid
  • Member since: May. 2, 2004
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Member
Level 03
Blank Slate
Response to Oppose Downloadable Games! Nov. 3rd, 2009 @ 07:32 PM Reply

At 11/3/09 07:27 PM, akmeteor wrote: Out of everything you said, you are nothing but a lying sack of shit that can't realize when he's wrong. You should shut the fuck up and stop playing the age card thing, because as much as you are using it you're probably lying. Also not seeing the comparisons he's making also makes you a complete idiot.

I play the age card because there is a correlation between being a fucking idiot and being a kid.

Final note is this. You have never made a thread EVER that lead to meaningful conversation.

ORLY?

Shut up take your toys and go home kid.

Such delicious irony!

akmeteor: Age/Gender: 16, Male

Now shut the fuck up and go back to cutting your wrists while listening to shit metal.


When all else fails, blame the casuals!

BBS Signature
akmeteor
akmeteor
  • Member since: Jul. 19, 2005
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Member
Level 10
Gamer
Response to Oppose Downloadable Games! Nov. 3rd, 2009 @ 07:35 PM Reply

At 11/3/09 07:32 PM, KeithHybrid wrote:
At 11/3/09 07:27 PM, akmeteor wrote: Out of everything you said, you are nothing but a lying sack of shit that can't realize when he's wrong. You should shut the fuck up and stop playing the age card thing, because as much as you are using it you're probably lying. Also not seeing the comparisons he's making also makes you a complete idiot.
I play the age card because there is a correlation between being a fucking idiot and being a kid.

Final note is this. You have never made a thread EVER that lead to meaningful conversation.
ORLY?

Shut up take your toys and go home kid.
Such delicious irony!

akmeteor: Age/Gender: 16, Male
Now shut the fuck up and go back to cutting your wrists while listening to shit metal.

See there you go again. As much as you are pulling this shit it's obvious your lying. You never use any reasoning than that and almost anyone on this site will agree with me. Shut up take your toys and go home. The way you act you shouldn't even be your age. You act like a fucking 12 year old.


Well.

Shit.