CompleteDouche
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 09
Musician
Response to Why did the Dreamcast Die? Nov. 2nd, 2009 @ 03:24 PM Reply

At 11/2/09 01:28 PM, SassyCatMan wrote: Cause 360s are the new "Chuck Noris."

Troll Keep on Trollin'
Plus, In "Enter the Dragon" Bruce Lee Kills Chuck Norris.

No matter what your weaknesses are, make sure your own abilities supersede them.

knuxrouge
knuxrouge
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 24
Blank Slate
Response to Why did the Dreamcast Die? Nov. 2nd, 2009 @ 03:49 PM Reply

At 11/1/09 08:47 PM, KeithHybrid wrote:
At 11/1/09 08:44 PM, CompleteDouche wrote:
At 11/1/09 08:42 PM, KeithHybrid wrote: Jet Set Radio
I hate replying in a same thread over 3 times, but I fucking loved Jet set radio, especially Future...
I never got to play Future, but I dug the original.

Future is good, but not as good as the original.

Anyway, as Keith said, Sega was in a deep financial crisis, because their consoles did not do well, the SNES' domination of the Genesis brought upon the Sega CD and the 32x add on, the CD sold badly--but it sold, however the 32x was a complete failure, Sega was planning the Neptune (a stand-alone 32x), but scrapped it and went to the Saturn, which although was the most powerful console between the Playstation and N64, it was overshadowed still and did not sell well outside of Japan. Sega had then released the Dreamcast 3 years after the Saturn, it was the first console that had online capabilities and even a browser that came free with any Dreamcast, a vast library of great games and 128 bit graphics. It was hot until 2001 where the Playstation 2 came out, and once again, Sega was overshadowed by hype of another console. Having badly spent their money on chances that they'd bounce back up, Sega was on the verge of bankruptcy.

It's truly sad, they were all good consoles with great games made for them, they were just doomed to obscurity, because of bad marketing and hype.

what happened to this place?
Latest Blog: Chaos Sonic Ch 3 Update.

BBS Signature
Jercurpac
Jercurpac
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 32
Melancholy
Response to Why did the Dreamcast Die? Nov. 2nd, 2009 @ 04:14 PM Reply

At 11/2/09 03:49 PM, knuxrouge wrote: It's truly sad, they were all good consoles with great games made for them, they were just doomed to obscurity, because of bad marketing and hype.

Actually I thought the marketing was actually pretty decent. The "It's Thinking" advertisement is probably one of the most memorable commercials for any console and despite not actually telling you anything about the console it made me really want one. It was just poorly timed. When it came out I'd only had my N64 for a few years and my PS1 for even less time. I couldn't talk my parents into a new console. I think that's part of the reason Sega couldn't make enough headway with their lead. They'd gotten the hardcore Sega fans and the people who jump at new technology, but the PS1 was still coming out with good games and the mass market just wasn't ready for the leap. When they were Sony was just the more reliable name to go with.

Happy with what you have to be happy with
you have to be happy with what you have
to be happy with you have to be happy with what you have

BBS Signature
PwnMaster1337
PwnMaster1337
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 02
Blank Slate
Response to Why did the Dreamcast Die? Nov. 2nd, 2009 @ 04:39 PM Reply

probably because it was obsolete tech. it was a great system tho

Why did the Dreamcast Die?

knuxrouge
knuxrouge
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 24
Blank Slate
Response to Why did the Dreamcast Die? Nov. 2nd, 2009 @ 05:34 PM Reply

At 11/2/09 04:14 PM, Jercurpac wrote:
At 11/2/09 03:49 PM, knuxrouge wrote: It's truly sad, they were all good consoles with great games made for them, they were just doomed to obscurity, because of bad marketing and hype.
Actually I thought the marketing was actually pretty decent. The "It's Thinking" advertisement is probably one of the most memorable commercials for any console and despite not actually telling you anything about the console it made me really want one. It was just poorly timed. When it came out I'd only had my N64 for a few years and my PS1 for even less time. I couldn't talk my parents into a new console. I think that's part of the reason Sega couldn't make enough headway with their lead. They'd gotten the hardcore Sega fans and the people who jump at new technology, but the PS1 was still coming out with good games and the mass market just wasn't ready for the leap. When they were Sony was just the more reliable name to go with.

All true, but the early launch can be attributed to bad marketing, the Dreamcast isn't the only example.
The Genesis was launched in 1988 (I think, 89 at the latest), that can technically be an early release, since it's target of cometition was still the NES, early launch gave Nintendo the advantage of know exactly how to beat the Genesis, since they had 2/3 years to observe the Genesis, when Sega was losing vs the SNES, the 32x and CD came out, which speak for themselves, and the Saturn was alive for mainly 2 years, although released on time, Sega was overshadowed by the 64 and PS1, having great launch titles like Twisted Metal, Resident Evil, Super Mario 64, Super Mario Kart and so forth. Plus, by that point, Sega was already in the red. If the Dreamcast was going to fail, there would be no redemption. Unfortunately, it failed--or rather--it didn't succeed.

what happened to this place?
Latest Blog: Chaos Sonic Ch 3 Update.

BBS Signature
ZJ
ZJ
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 45
Gamer
Response to Why did the Dreamcast Die? Nov. 3rd, 2009 @ 12:11 AM Reply

At 11/2/09 02:23 PM, Jackho wrote:
At 11/2/09 06:11 AM, puddinN64 wrote: Sony.
I Agree.

THAT'S NOT WHAT I SAID DAMMIT

Sig by Some Guy - AMA
Formerly PuddinN64 - Portal, BBS, Icon, and Chat Mod
"Your friends love you anyway" - Check out WhatTheDo & Guinea Something Good!

BBS Signature
RandomFreak
RandomFreak
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 43
Blank Slate
Response to Why did the Dreamcast Die? Nov. 3rd, 2009 @ 10:01 AM Reply

The games were far to easy to burn/copy/pirate. I had a friend in college with a Dreamcast and every single game he had was a burned copy and not the original. Sega didn't do enough to prevent piracy and that was the final nail in the coffin of an already floundering system.

HellboundNinja
HellboundNinja
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 34
Blank Slate
Response to Why did the Dreamcast Die? Nov. 3rd, 2009 @ 12:57 PM Reply

At 11/2/09 04:39 PM, PwnMaster1337 wrote: probably because it was obsolete tech. it was a great system tho

Worst Post Ever

BBS Signature
HorrorMaster
HorrorMaster
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 08
Blank Slate
Response to Why did the Dreamcast Die? Nov. 16th, 2009 @ 07:16 PM Reply

YOU ARE THE ONLY OTHER PERSON I KNOW THAT HAS PHANTASY STAR ONLINE AND JET SET RADIO.

Sil3ntkill
Sil3ntkill
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 11
Blank Slate
Response to Why did the Dreamcast Die? Nov. 16th, 2009 @ 10:50 PM Reply

At 11/1/09 08:21 PM, CompleteDouche wrote: Gamecube didn't have a DVD player, but it survived. How come it was behind the Gamecube in sales? (was the xbox out at this time)

Yes the xbox was out it was the underdog none gave a shit about it until the 360 =p

The-Great-One
The-Great-One
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 30
Writer
Response to Why did the Dreamcast Die? Nov. 16th, 2009 @ 11:17 PM Reply

The Dreamcast was merely underrated.

With the not so big success from the Saturn, SEGA CD, and 32X of course gamers would be turned off from a SEGA console. Nintendo dominated with the Super Nintendo and Nintendo 64 so it had it already had a great reputation... as did Sony with the Playstation 1. So gamers were turned on by both the Gamecube and the Playstation 2.

How the XBOX gained popularity I don't know, but I say that out of the three systems the Playstation 2 and the Gamecube were more known while the XBOX and Dreamcast were merely in the shadows with great library of games... the XBOX would prevail with the PS2 and Gamecube though. So the Dreamcast went bye bye.

It's still a great console with an impressive library of games though. If you can pick one up I highly suggest it.

| The Interviewer | Review Terms 3.0 | [This Space For Rent ] | Club Stoic |

BBS Signature
slackerzac
slackerzac
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 20
Blank Slate
Response to Why did the Dreamcast Die? Nov. 17th, 2009 @ 07:45 AM Reply

Poor marketing strategy on SEGAs part. Mainly had to do with bad release timing, lack of DVD player (yes the gamecube didnt have one but its nintendo), and a couple other factors. However, if it wasn for the dreamcast console online play might never would have happened because it was the first console to have that option, yes the PS2, Xbox, and eventually the Gamecube had it but the dreamcast came out several months before them so the thought for online for them could have been a last minute thing they put on.

BBS Signature
Jerich0
Jerich0
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 11
Blank Slate
Response to Why did the Dreamcast Die? Nov. 17th, 2009 @ 07:59 AM Reply

It didnt die it prospered in Japan.

BBS Signature
SPLINTERCELL58
SPLINTERCELL58
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 20
Blank Slate
Response to Why did the Dreamcast Die? Nov. 17th, 2009 @ 12:21 PM Reply

I heard it was because Sega were very poor because they kept releasing shit consoles, but then they took out the Dreamcast (which was amazing), but they didn't market it correctly, resulting in death.

That's what I heard anyway.
BTW, OP and anyway else who has a Dreamcast HAS to buy Shenmue. You can't have a Dreamcast without Shenmue. Shenmue was the reason I brought another Dreamcast.
It's literally the best game ever created.

Ragnarokia
Ragnarokia
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Supporter
Level 22
Writer
Response to Why did the Dreamcast Die? Nov. 17th, 2009 @ 07:51 PM Reply

Sega had nothing left to fall back on and they threw everything into, what has to be said an amazing console. PS2 more popular etc and eventually people just forgot about the Dreamcast and Sony ended.

I love my PS2, but I still prefer my Dreamcast, it was always my favourite console, sadly cant play anymore due to some cables etc I might try and replace.

Skies of Arcadia, one of the best games ever and my personal favourite on the Dreamcast <3

When this post hits 88 mph, you're going to see some serious friendship.
Let's Player, Artist, Pony writer, Cuteness!

BBS Signature
kmau
kmau
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 06
Animator
Response to Why did the Dreamcast Die? Jun. 12th, 2010 @ 09:39 PM Reply

Poor marketing strategy. My brother had one and it had some very good games, but I never saw any advertisements anywhere.

BBS Signature
mrgreg846
mrgreg846
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 19
Blank Slate
Response to Why did the Dreamcast Die? Jun. 12th, 2010 @ 09:44 PM Reply

2 things. Piracy, and lack of variety in gameplay. Games could be easily downloaded via bittorrent, burned with DiscJuggler and played w/ out ANY mods.

Playstation lacked graphics but had a mammoth, diverse, library. Dreamcast had the graphics, but the library was mostly arcade titles littered with some other genres. So when PS2 came out, matching or exceeding the Dreamcast's graphics and with a better library, it was no contest. Especially at that point when the piracy was really running rampant. I miss Sega systems..

RDSchley
RDSchley
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 03
Blank Slate
Response to Why did the Dreamcast Die? Jun. 12th, 2010 @ 10:25 PM Reply

It had a small game library and the PS2 was already announced by the time it came out. People saw the Ps2 (Which was advertised with a DvD player) and decided to wait on it to come out. Not to mention that Sega didn't have a very good reputation after the 2 add-ons to it's already existing system that didn't sell well.

It is ok to make fun of America. But if you make fun of any other country in a vague or joking way you get banned.

Nicholas-Deary
Nicholas-Deary
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 39
Animator
Response to Why did the Dreamcast Die? Jun. 12th, 2010 @ 10:38 PM Reply

Yes, the Dreamcast didn't sell many units for some reason, but it will always be remembered by most as a pretty cool console and that is the important thing.

BBS Signature
iBagel
iBagel
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 08
Blank Slate
Response to Why did the Dreamcast Die? Jun. 13th, 2010 @ 03:36 PM Reply

For that era of gaming, everyone had a PS2. It crushed the competition in console sales.

PSN ID: el173sn1pax
"Always remember you're unique, just like everyone else!"

BBS Signature
PikaRobo
PikaRobo
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 38
Blank Slate
Response to Why did the Dreamcast Die? Jun. 13th, 2010 @ 06:57 PM Reply

Because it's old.

BBS Signature
Super-cola-drinker
Super-cola-drinker
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 06
Blank Slate
Response to Why did the Dreamcast Die? Jul. 6th, 2010 @ 04:11 AM Reply

Good video about Dreamcast

9.9.99-3.31.01

Livin-Legend
Livin-Legend
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 08
Blank Slate
Response to Why did the Dreamcast Die? Jul. 6th, 2010 @ 06:19 PM Reply

These are the main reasons:

- Sega had a bad history with consoles and was very unprofessional with their decisions like the 32x and Saturn being bad consoles and the Sega Neptune is an example of their unprofessional approach at rushing consoles (and no the Sega CD doesn't count cause although it sucked, it was revolutionary)
- PS2 was coming out soon and people wanted it more because of the greatness it's predecessor (the PSX) had
- PS2 was ran by Sony, a far superior and much more professional company over Sega
- PS2 featured a DVD player; this isn't a direct reason to the Dreamcast failing, but it helped consumers choose the PS2 over any other console and DVD players also

Overall the PS2 was the big part in it's short life, but Sega had a really bad and unprofessional history which a lot of consumers didn't want to deal with because they didn't want to spend extra money on add-ons (again the 32x and Sega CD). Dreamcast is still a great console to this day and it was revolutionary with its online gameplay. If PS2 didn't steal it's consumers, the Dreamcast may have sold enough systems to stay in the market and maybe even have lived to produce a successor to today's video game consoles.