New Topic Respond to this Topic
JKAmovies
JKAmovies
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 22
Artist
Need Artist Help. . . 2009-10-30 18:24:32 Reply

I starting drawing this last night on paper and just today I started re-drawing it on Photoshop. . .

'But' I have a colour problem and I'm wanting to try something different and away from my original pieces. At the bottom of the page is what I have already (not much complete) but I need some critique or some other colour options for this piece.

P.S There's much more colours and shading needed so ignore that, just look at what I've done so far. . .

Thanks ~JKAmovies.

Need Artist Help. . .

NDC: 2011 ~ Twitter ~ Artwork ~ ©JKA

BBS Signature
Crev
Crev
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 54
Artist
Response to Need Artist Help. . . 2009-10-30 18:51:41 Reply

At 10/30/09 06:24 PM, JKAmovies wrote: I starting drawing this last night on paper and just today I started re-drawing it on Photoshop. . .

'But' I have a colour problem and I'm wanting to try something different and away from my original pieces. At the bottom of the page is what I have already (not much complete) but I need some critique or some other colour options for this piece.

P.S There's much more colours and shading needed so ignore that, just look at what I've done so far. . .

Thanks ~JKAmovies.

Doesn't hurt to check out different tutorials about colouring to see what others do

http://www.smashingapps.com/2009/01/08/1 7-mind-blowing-digital-painting-tutorial s-of-beautiful-girls.html

you can always check out the individuals at the artist hospital in my signature link to ask for advice or tips as to how to improve.

>>My Art profile<<contains flash,3D,traditional art, digital art, and other animated stuff

Artists Hospital: for helpful Advice and tutorials

BBS Signature
Lundsfryd
Lundsfryd
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 18
Artist
Response to Need Artist Help. . . 2009-10-30 19:05:05 Reply

At 10/30/09 06:24 PM, JKAmovies wrote: blah blag bæaglglg blah.

It looks very underlid(?).. Bright lightsource from down under him. That could look cool. But then you need a heavy shadow on "top" of him of course. And pehaps try to variate your lines a bit.

World Famous Kasper Lundsfryd Illustrations
nilfisk

BBS Signature
JKAmovies
JKAmovies
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 22
Artist
Response to Need Artist Help. . . 2009-10-30 19:24:06 Reply

At 10/30/09 07:05 PM, Lundsfryd wrote: It looks very underlid(?).. Bright lightsource from down under him. That could look cool. But then you need a heavy shadow on "top" of him of course. And pehaps try to variate your lines a bit.

Yeah I know. . . But I haven't finish passed his head yet nor arms. . . I'll see what I can do and I'll update when I finish off more. . .

Also thank you to Crev. . . I'll check it out.

BBS Signature
bigjonny13
bigjonny13
  • Online!
Forum Stats
Supporter
Level 53
Voice Actor
Response to Need Artist Help. . . 2009-10-30 19:29:09 Reply

I just noticed that his left hand is a right hand.

Lundsfryd
Lundsfryd
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 18
Artist
Response to Need Artist Help. . . 2009-10-30 19:35:31 Reply

At 10/30/09 07:29 PM, big-jonny-13 wrote: I just noticed that his left hand is a right hand.

Oh yeah.. His thumb is on the wrong hand..

nilfisk

BBS Signature
Lundsfryd
Lundsfryd
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 18
Artist
Response to Need Artist Help. . . 2009-10-30 19:37:28 Reply

At 10/30/09 07:35 PM, Lundsfryd wrote: ramble ramble mumbo jumbo..

damn.. It's j-day (the day where all the christmasbrews are released).. Im drunk..

Not the wrong hand.. just the wrong side of course..

nilfisk

BBS Signature
Henry-nougat
Henry-nougat
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 07
Blank Slate
Response to Need Artist Help. . . 2009-10-30 19:46:47 Reply

Well, if your using photoshop have highlights and shadows on seperate layers, and a tint layer (this layer will be the main colour of light) make all these layers transparent by lowering the opacity. Then basically all you need to do is add base colours and extra colours.

If you map out the shadows, highlights and shadow tint it should add dimension to the base colours and you wouldn't really need to go through all the dodge and burn style of shading. This is more of a cell-shading style of colouring through, so the colours will be bold and thick.

It just depends on what style your after, if you want softer shading you can always blur the shadow layers and highlight layers.

I've always used dodge and burn but doing all the highlights and shadows on the one layer doesn't help when you want to change layer styles etc. you really have to experiment with a lot of colouring styles to find what you most like.

I wouldn't say theres a 'best' way to colour just what makes you enjoy it and feel happy about your art.

My Art. Enjoy Life

BBS Signature
JKAmovies
JKAmovies
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 22
Artist
Response to Need Artist Help. . . 2009-10-30 20:59:28 Reply

At 10/30/09 07:29 PM, big-jonny-13 wrote: I just noticed that his left hand is a right hand.

Oh. . . Damn, my bad, I guess I should change that :s

At 10/30/09 07:46 PM, Henry-nougat wrote: Well, if your using photoshop have highlights and shadows on seperate layers, and a tint layer etc. . .

Oh, that is very helpful Henry-Nougat, I am only using one layer to colour at the moment, and I should be experimenting a little more as well.

I don't particularly hate what I've done, I just dislike how it looks right now. . . I feel as I could do better but don't know how =/

I'll take what you've said into consideration. Thanks.

BBS Signature