Be a Supporter!

just an observation.

  • 1,196 Views
  • 33 Replies
New Topic Respond to this Topic
Korriken
Korriken
  • Member since: Jun. 17, 2006
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Member
Level 05
Gamer
just an observation. 2009-10-27 22:03:22 Reply

Fox news is the highest rated news network.

They are also conservative leaning.

The republican party is trying to get away from being conservative.

They're losing their asses off.

The republicans and the other station should look at fox news and see what they are doing right, because, obviously, if you're the best, you are doing something right.

There is a large conservative base out there, much larger than most would imagine. a base who is fed up with watching the government types wipe their asses with thousand dollar bills then demand more and more from the citizens. If the conservatives in the republican party would oust the liberals and moderates, they could easily sweep the democrats aside in 2010 and 2012.

How long do you think it will take for the republican party to finally realize that a "moderate" party will sink like the titanic? you have moderates on both sides, democrat side has some moderates and a pile of liberals. the republicans are trying to have a full on moderate party.

the conservative anger is beginning to boil over. Now many of the conservatives are no longer backing the republicans, but instead, backing independent and 3rd party conservative candidates.

With the loss of the conservative base, the GOP is going down. This may ensure that the democrats win many elections they would otherwise lose, but it is a necessary thing to show the republican party that the power of conservatism is still strong in America, even strong enough to bring down the GOP.


I'm not crazy, everyone else is.

JeremieCompNerd
JeremieCompNerd
  • Member since: Mar. 11, 2008
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Member
Level 04
Blank Slate
Response to just an observation. 2009-10-27 23:05:41 Reply

Personally, I watch fixed news just as a lark. It's fun to watch them act the fool and not know what they're talking about, then some guest comes on and tries to tell them off and they shut him down as if nobody in the audience knows they're covering up stuff that's not helpful to them.


Fireworks Collab!!!!!! I need a programmer, PM me for details!!!!!
*Explodes violently*
*Listens to splatter*

Boredy-Mcbored
Boredy-Mcbored
  • Member since: Nov. 2, 2008
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Member
Level 05
Programmer
Response to just an observation. 2009-10-27 23:19:02 Reply

I look at it for the lulz


I loves teh intranet
Checks my Youtubes! Current Let's play- Earthbound

BBS Signature
kraor024
kraor024
  • Member since: Jun. 20, 2002
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Member
Level 14
Blank Slate
Response to just an observation. 2009-10-28 01:07:12 Reply

I watch Fox news for the same reason, I used to watch Jerry Springer.

daves234
daves234
  • Member since: Feb. 5, 2008
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Member
Level 10
Blank Slate
Response to just an observation. 2009-10-28 01:16:01 Reply

News is nothing but a product damn it It's the same shit except with there own fucking style


I want gmod D: but i have to get css and half life 2 first

BBS Signature
awkward-silence
awkward-silence
  • Member since: Mar. 16, 2003
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Member
Level 11
Blank Slate
Response to just an observation. 2009-10-28 04:25:49 Reply

Fox News gets ratings because it is not a real news outlet. Their product isn't information its infotainment. If MSNBC and CNN followed this model of not being a legitimate news orginization to become a peddler of infotainment their ratings would increase as well.

And ratings don't imply quality. In a perfect world they would, but we both know we don't live in one of those. In their time Howard Stern and Jerry Springer were the top rated shows. Gilmore Girls, America's Next Top Model and Gossip Girl all rate higher than the Simpsons (the longest running series in History).

Its clear in the way they conduct interviews, Fox news tries to get argue and loose their cool. I knew a girl who worked for Fox News in Chicago and she would talk about how somebody would be watching the interviews and telling the hosts (via earpiece) to get the guest angrier. That is bringing springer into the newsroom.

Korriken
Korriken
  • Member since: Jun. 17, 2006
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Member
Level 05
Gamer
Response to just an observation. 2009-10-28 05:46:59 Reply

another observation. this post was supposed to be more about the republicans straying from conservatism, not so much another thread on fox news... but not 1 person mentioned the republicans lack of conservatism and went straight for the fox news part. kinds disheartening really.


I'm not crazy, everyone else is.

amaterasu
amaterasu
  • Member since: Mar. 7, 2004
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Member
Level 08
Blank Slate
Response to just an observation. 2009-10-28 09:01:27 Reply

At 10/28/09 04:25 AM, awkward-silence wrote: Fox News gets ratings because it is not a real news outlet. Their product isn't information its infotainment. If MSNBC and CNN followed this model of not being a legitimate news orginization to become a peddler of infotainment their ratings would increase as well.

MSNBC and legitimate news organization do not belong in the same sentence.


beep

BBS Signature
JeremieCompNerd
JeremieCompNerd
  • Member since: Mar. 11, 2008
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Member
Level 04
Blank Slate
Response to just an observation. 2009-10-28 09:36:33 Reply

At 10/28/09 05:46 AM, Korriken wrote: another observation. this post was supposed to be more about the republicans straying from conservatism, not so much another thread on fox news... but not 1 person mentioned the republicans lack of conservatism and went straight for the fox news part. kinds disheartening really.

Then I'll be the first to go for the obvious... Yes, they are stepping away from conservatism, and yes, thank whatever gods the people of NG pray to that the whole mess is finally getting some sense to it. There's just something wrong with a government that DOESN'T want to help the people under it.


Fireworks Collab!!!!!! I need a programmer, PM me for details!!!!!
*Explodes violently*
*Listens to splatter*

LazyDrunk
LazyDrunk
  • Member since: Nov. 3, 2004
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Member
Level 24
Blank Slate
Response to just an observation. 2009-10-28 10:03:19 Reply

At 10/28/09 09:36 AM, JeremieCompNerd wrote: Yes, they [republicans] are stepping away from conservatism, and yes, thank whatever gods the people of NG pray to that the whole mess is finally getting some sense to it.

Could you be more specific? You seem to be saying that Republicans who sympathize with liberal ideals such as socialized healthcare and government protectionism are the ones bringing sense to the chaos of an otherwise polarized political argument.

If this is true, what makes it so appealing, it being the escape from the conservative base?

There's just something wrong with a government that DOESN'T want to help the people under it.

The only way government can help a person is by hurting another or the whole. Government work is not volunteer work, in case you were in the dark on the matter.

Printing more money for the sake of printing money devalues the dollar in the present and future tenses. Blowing it on bailing out companies "too big to fail" is not what government is about, regardless of the people it helps. The foresight of the liberal ideal some republicans (including former president BUsh II) is unappealing to me. What makes this type of thinking appealing to you, that you're thanking NG's respective gods for the appeasing republicans who've abandoned the ideals that made the party worth supporting?

Do you believe in "government competition"?


We gladly feast upon those who would subdue us.

BBS Signature
RandomFreak
RandomFreak
  • Member since: Feb. 2, 2001
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Member
Level 43
Blank Slate
Response to just an observation. 2009-10-28 11:36:28 Reply

Personally I take great heart in the fact that the GOP seems to be leaning somewhat more moderate. When a government becomes nothing more than two extremes battling it out that's what leads to civil wars and dictatorships. Meeting in the middle is what the democratic process is supposed to be about. Most of us lose sight of that and have turned it into a competition between two sides rather than a conversation.

gumOnShoe
gumOnShoe
  • Member since: May. 29, 2004
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Member
Level 15
Blank Slate
Response to just an observation. 2009-10-28 12:23:48 Reply

At 10/28/09 05:46 AM, Korriken wrote: another observation. this post was supposed to be more about the republicans straying from conservatism, not so much another thread on fox news... but not 1 person mentioned the republicans lack of conservatism and went straight for the fox news part. kinds disheartening really.

Yes, but you pinned your argument on Fox being a legitimate news source or even the best one out there, so its really your fault.

Anyway, I don't think people watch Fox News because it is "Conservative" and ratings don't reflect that either. But, you should also be aware that if this is the only outlet for "conservative" news in america whereas the other stations satisfy everyone else, you'll have an issue where everyone who isn't conservative splits their views between more stations, which to me means a more balanced population. When Fox news ratings dwarf the combined sum of the ratings of every other station, you'll have more of an argument.

On top of that, you have to decide whether watching 24 hour "news" stations is a legitimate pursuit of an intelligent person's time and factor in what portion of the population actually bothers to watch 24 hour news stations.

The point is that fox news ratings DO NOT REFLECT the way a majority of Americans will vote. Also, its funny that you are claiming your "fair and balanced" news station is conservative.


Newgrounds Anthology? 20,000 Word Max. [Submit]

Music? Click Sig:

BBS Signature
Ericho
Ericho
  • Member since: Sep. 21, 2008
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Member
Level 44
Movie Buff
Response to just an observation. 2009-10-28 12:31:43 Reply

If it helps any bit, the most popular doesn't mean the best. I went over to the IMDb, and found out that "The O'Reilly Factor" has a rating factor of only 3.3, which is very bad. Keith Olbermann's show on the other hand has a rating of 7.7. Yeah, it is weird how it gets so many views when people keep saying how they don't like it.


You know the world's gone crazy when the best rapper's a white guy and the best golfer's a black guy - Chris Rock

aviewaskewed
aviewaskewed
  • Member since: Feb. 4, 2002
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Moderator
Level 44
Blank Slate
Response to just an observation. 2009-10-28 15:25:10 Reply

At 10/28/09 05:46 AM, Korriken wrote: another observation. this post was supposed to be more about the republicans straying from conservatism, not so much another thread on fox news... but not 1 person mentioned the republicans lack of conservatism and went straight for the fox news part. kinds disheartening really.

Maybe there just aren't as many conservatives on this board as you had thought.


You don't have to pass an IQ test to be in the senate. --Mark Pryor, Senator
The Endless Crew: Comics and general wackiness. Join us or die.
PM me about forum abuse.

BBS Signature
RydiaLockheart
RydiaLockheart
  • Member since: Nov. 21, 2002
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Supporter
Level 31
Gamer
Response to just an observation. 2009-10-28 16:41:06 Reply

At 10/27/09 10:03 PM, Korriken wrote: How long do you think it will take for the republican party to finally realize that a "moderate" party will sink like the titanic? you have moderates on both sides, democrat side has some moderates and a pile of liberals. the republicans are trying to have a full on moderate party.

I disagree. When I think "conservative," I think Bobby Jindal, Barry Goldwater, or Dwight Eisenhower, not Mike Huckabee or Sarah Palin. You need to have moderates to keep the Palins and the Huckabees of the party from dragging it into crazyland. If it's in crazyland, it alienates people and there's no real opposition party. Who'll be around to bandage the bleeding hearts if conservatives are too busy purging moderates from their ranks?

LazyDrunk
LazyDrunk
  • Member since: Nov. 3, 2004
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Member
Level 24
Blank Slate
Response to just an observation. 2009-10-28 17:39:08 Reply

In defense of a good purging, the republicans in the house are doing A+ work today.

The way I look at it is, the less involvement that is required on government's behalf, the better. Fox helps represent that particular slant, and I think their ratings reflect that. As far as Olberman/O'Reilly go, they play watchdogs to their target audience, barking at this or that, more often than not correct in their observations.

I think Republicans will band together more, not so much out of shared ideology but shared political philosophy; united is stronger than divided. Compromising the party should come before compromising ideals.


We gladly feast upon those who would subdue us.

BBS Signature
ImaSmartass2
ImaSmartass2
  • Member since: Jul. 7, 2007
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Member
Level 16
Blank Slate
Response to just an observation. 2009-10-28 18:19:46 Reply

At 10/28/09 04:52 PM, RightWingGamer wrote:
At 10/28/09 04:41 PM, RydiaLockheart wrote: You need to have moderates to keep the Palins and the Huckabees of the party from dragging it into crazyland.
then who keeps the democrats from going to "crazyland"? they don't know the meaning of the word "moderate". in fact several liberals are acutally AGAINST bi-partisanship, thus meaning they only want their half to be represented. before you shoot your mouth of about moderation, do a little research first.

THE ABOVE STATEMENT DOES NOT EVOKE A DOUBLE STANDARD IN ANY WAY WHATSOEVER.
Some conservatives are crazy. What a great source I have.

Also Fox News has one very zealous audience, thus appeals ONLY to conservatives. NO other News station panders to conservative ideals than FOX news.

Memorize
Memorize
  • Member since: Jun. 12, 2004
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Member
Level 21
Animator
Response to just an observation. 2009-10-28 18:46:57 Reply

lol

I don't get half of the people on this thread.

They're happy the Republicans are straying away from Conservatism, even though it was the Conservatives who were most against Bush and Congress from bailing out Wallstreet.

You would think under this logic, the Republicans should be more like a mainstream conservative.

Then again, the way I've always considered it is like this: There's hardly any difference from the average liberal and conservative citizen. Just as how there's hardly a difference from the average liberal and conservative politician.

What separates the citizens from the politicians is that the citizens are limited Government liberals and conservatives while the Politicians are big Government liberals and conservatives.

just an observation.

ImaSmartass2
ImaSmartass2
  • Member since: Jul. 7, 2007
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Member
Level 16
Blank Slate
Response to just an observation. 2009-10-28 19:05:40 Reply

At 10/28/09 06:58 PM, RightWingGamer wrote:
At 10/28/09 06:19 PM, ImaSmartass2 wrote:
At 10/28/09 04:52 PM, RightWingGamer wrote:
At 10/28/09 04:41 PM, RydiaLockheart wrote: You need to have moderates to keep the Palins and the Huckabees of the party from dragging it into crazyland.
then who keeps the democrats from going to "crazyland"? they don't know the meaning of the word "moderate". in fact several liberals are acutally AGAINST bi-partisanship, thus meaning they only want their half to be represented. before you shoot your mouth of about moderation, do a little research first.
THE ABOVE STATEMENT DOES NOT EVOKE A DOUBLE STANDARD IN ANY WAY WHATSOEVER.
no, it doesn't. if anything, you have a double standard because you are ignoring how radically far-left the democrats have become.

Some conservatives are crazy. What a great source I have.
no, you have a stupid video of one person going crazy.

AHEM.


Also Fox News has one very zealous audience, thus appeals ONLY to conservatives.
just like MSNBC, CNN, CBS, ABC, and pretty much EVERYTHING ELSE appeals ONLY to liberals.

You don't get what I'm saying; Conservatives only have ONE outlet. Liberals and moderates have several.


NO other News station panders to conservative ideals than FOX news.
exactly! that's because all the other stations are leftists that PRETEND to be fair.

No again. Only CNN and FOX News claim to be fair, as far as I know. ABC and CBS I'm not sure about. MSNBC claims to be "THE PLACE FOR POLITICS".

ImaSmartass2
ImaSmartass2
  • Member since: Jul. 7, 2007
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Member
Level 16
Blank Slate
Response to just an observation. 2009-10-28 19:19:33 Reply

At 10/28/09 07:12 PM, RightWingGamer wrote:
At 10/28/09 07:05 PM, ImaSmartass2 wrote:
At 10/28/09 06:58 PM, RightWingGamer wrote:
At 10/28/09 06:19 PM, ImaSmartass2 wrote: Also Fox News has one very zealous audience, thus appeals ONLY to conservatives.
just like MSNBC, CNN, CBS, ABC, and pretty much EVERYTHING ELSE appeals ONLY to liberals.
You don't get what I'm saying; Conservatives only have ONE outlet. Liberals and moderates have several.
And you're saying that the one outlet that conservatives have is the one that needs to be shut down?

Haven't said that. Some weird anarchist guy said that in another thread. Not I senor, FOX news can say what ever the fuck it wants to say because it is legally allowed to lie and do whatever the hell they want with their shows.

SEXY-FETUS
SEXY-FETUS
  • Member since: May. 2, 2005
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Member
Level 05
Blank Slate
Response to just an observation. 2009-10-28 22:55:18 Reply

The problem with the GOP is too much pandering to Christians. They believe that if they keep that base of voters they can do anything they want. Conservatives, to extremely simplify, dislike high taxes and government control on private citizens. When we see that they advocate high taxes and absurd government controls, but keep touting the whole "pro-jesus" line it's turning alot of people away.
They keep thinking they can bring in voters with a different moral crusade each election season; gay marriage, abortion, drugs etc.. and they go about it by vilifying there enemies. They run into two problems with this. Most people simply don't care and they're slowly alienating more people.
I could talk for hours on everything that is wrong with the gop, but it's mostly just expanding on the example above. They're officially a dead party, they won't attract any new voters with the christian pandering, and they're dead in the water if they stop. The only hope for a truly conservative party is if we can somehow all get behind one of the third party options.


Our growing dependence on laws only shows how uncivilized we are.

Korriken
Korriken
  • Member since: Jun. 17, 2006
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Member
Level 05
Gamer
Response to just an observation. 2009-10-28 23:44:16 Reply

At 10/28/09 09:36 AM, JeremieCompNerd wrote:
Then I'll be the first to go for the obvious... Yes, they are stepping away from conservatism, and yes, thank whatever gods the people of NG pray to that the whole mess is finally getting some sense to it. There's just something wrong with a government that DOESN'T want to help the people under it.

i think im about to die from laughter at this statement. you really think the liberals want to HELP? You are sorely lacking in political knowledge. The game of politics isn't played to help people out, its played to gain and keep power. There are several ways to play the game, but the end goal is always the same, to gain and keep power for your party. you can get power 2 ways, either restricting government and letting the economy grow, and allow people to pursue their dreams, whether they succeed or fail, or by growing government and taking control of the people and making them dependent on the government for everything, much in the same way you see in Venezuela and Cuba. The government controls everything and you have to go to them for everything.

some people believe the government should provide everyone with whatever they need, and others believe that everyone should earn their keep. Personally, I believe in earning my keep.

At 10/28/09 12:23 PM, gumOnShoe wrote:
Yes, but you pinned your argument on Fox being a legitimate news source or even the best one out there, so its really your fault.

you missed the point completely. I suppose I'll have to, yet again, state my point in blunt, clear, english because obviously im the only person who understands my own points.

There is a sizable conservative populace out there. the democrats already control the liberals and most "moderates." trying to shift yourself to the moderates and throw out the conservatives is about the same as shooting yourself in the foot with a 12 gauge loaded with buckshot and wonder why your foot suddenly hurts.


I'm not crazy, everyone else is.

aviewaskewed
aviewaskewed
  • Member since: Feb. 4, 2002
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Moderator
Level 44
Blank Slate
Response to just an observation. 2009-10-28 23:54:06 Reply

At 10/28/09 04:52 PM, RightWingGamer wrote: then who keeps the democrats from going to "crazyland"? they don't know the meaning of the word "moderate". in fact several liberals are acutally AGAINST bi-partisanship, thus meaning they only want their half to be represented. before you shoot your mouth of about moderation, do a little research first.

I fail to see what pointing out the obvious, that there's crazy people on both sides actually does to strengthen any points towards being a supporter of some of the "faces" of the Republican Party over the last few years. Every group of people in any walk of life is going to have their radicals.


You don't have to pass an IQ test to be in the senate. --Mark Pryor, Senator
The Endless Crew: Comics and general wackiness. Join us or die.
PM me about forum abuse.

BBS Signature
aviewaskewed
aviewaskewed
  • Member since: Feb. 4, 2002
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Moderator
Level 44
Blank Slate
Response to just an observation. 2009-10-29 00:02:42 Reply

At 10/28/09 11:44 PM, Korriken wrote: There is a sizable conservative populace out there. the democrats already control the liberals and most "moderates." trying to shift yourself to the moderates and throw out the conservatives is about the same as shooting yourself in the foot with a 12 gauge loaded with buckshot and wonder why your foot suddenly hurts.

But the thought process is the "moderates" are synonymous with unaffliated "swing voters" and the "swing voters" get you elected. Which lets fucking face it, at the end of the day what is the only real job or objective a politician of ANY political party or bent has? Get elected, get re-elected, stay in power as long as you're allowed. Same as any other American with a career or a job. Get job, hold job, get the most out of job, try to advance to higher or better job.

I think the problem the Republicans have been having is they pander too much to the more radical and neo-con elements and try to break everything down into ridiculous "us or them" statements, and factually incorrect accusations (such as Glenn Beck's statements that net neutrality is "a Marxist plot"). When you appeal to this kind of individual it makes someone who might represent your values of smaller government, go "I like the ideals...but I can't vote for a candidate that spouts that the other side are akin to Hitler" or whatever. I've said forever that if Conservatives are unhappy with the Republican party they should either make their voices heard and force them to put out less radical and polarizing candidates, or just ditch the party completely and form something new. Because the biggest sin I see everyone committing in this country, liberal or conservative, it seems to me is subverting their beliefs to the big two because they just can't see a third party as electable.


You don't have to pass an IQ test to be in the senate. --Mark Pryor, Senator
The Endless Crew: Comics and general wackiness. Join us or die.
PM me about forum abuse.

BBS Signature
Memorize
Memorize
  • Member since: Jun. 12, 2004
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Member
Level 21
Animator
Response to just an observation. 2009-10-29 01:45:01 Reply

Which reminds me...

73% of GOP Voters Say Congressional Republicans Have Lost Touch With Their Base

"Just 15% of Republicans who plan to vote in 2012 state primaries say the party's representatives in Congress have done a good job of representing Republican values. "

So... the conservatives actually hate their Republican politicians... the same politicians the very people posting in this thread hate so much because, as they claim, they're "too conservative" and should be "moving away from".

Even though the conservatives they claim to hate so much seem to hate those Republicans who claim to be conservative, which would mean that the people on this thread actually hate "liberal" Republicans...

It makes me lol.

Korriken
Korriken
  • Member since: Jun. 17, 2006
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Member
Level 05
Gamer
Response to just an observation. 2009-10-29 06:02:49 Reply

At 10/29/09 12:02 AM, aviewaskewed wrote:
But the thought process is the "moderates" are synonymous with unaffliated "swing voters" and the "swing voters" get you elected.

perhaps, but without a base of voters, you'll never get enough swing voters to win.


I think the problem the Republicans have been having is they pander too much to the more radical and neo-con elements and try to break everything down into ridiculous "us or them" statements,

have you seen what's been going on in washington lately? yeah. it happens on both sides and everyone knows it.

and factually incorrect accusations (such as Glenn Beck's statements that net neutrality is "a Marxist plot").

your point?

When you appeal to this kind of individual it makes someone who might represent your values of smaller government, go "I like the ideals...but I can't vote for a candidate that spouts that the other side are akin to Hitler"

I still don't
get your point.

I've said forever that if Conservatives are unhappy with the Republican party they should either make their voices heard and force them to put out less radical and polarizing candidates, or just ditch the party completely and form something new.

a 3rd party would guarantee democratic domination. you got those who are blindly loyal to the republicans, those who are loyal to conservatism, those who have no loyalty, those loyal to liberalism and those blindly loyal to the democrats.

Conservatism does very well when its actually implemented. Bush was no conservative, McCain was borderline Liberal.

Because the biggest sin I see everyone committing in this country, liberal or conservative, it seems to me is subverting their beliefs to the big two because they just can't see a third party as electable.

that's because a 3rd party isn't electable unless one of the parties falls so hard that it becomes a permanent moot point, but still continues to try. If the republicans would go back to trying to elect conservatives, rather than trying to please everyone, which is exactly what the liberals want, they would find themselves being elected a lot more often.

the vote would be split between the republicans (and those who think voting 3rd party is a waste of vote) and those who believe the 3rd party can win, ensuring the democrats get even more seats in congress and keep the white house even longer.

the best way for the conservatives to regain power would be to take over the republican party and cast out the liberal swine who have infiltrated and seek to destroy the party from within. those who agree with the opponent all the time are not needed in the party.


I'm not crazy, everyone else is.

awkward-silence
awkward-silence
  • Member since: Mar. 16, 2003
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Member
Level 11
Blank Slate
Response to just an observation. 2009-10-29 06:35:26 Reply

At 10/29/09 06:02 AM, Korriken wrote:
the best way for the conservatives to regain power would be to take over the republican party and cast out the liberal swine who have infiltrated and seek to destroy the party from within. those who agree with the opponent all the time are not needed in the party.

I think you have a fair grasp the required political strategy to regain control, however, you make a faulty assumption. You assume that republican's staying the course on the ideals of the previous administration will shore up victory because either you believe that the American want of those ideals are still the dominate force in the american populace, or you assume that the Obama presidency will be so disasterous that people will long for the glory days of W.

I think that both these assumptions are false. The conservatism swing has just about run its course and become a parody of itself, before the last election polls showed that people felt alienated by the leadership of the republican party this is a trend that hasn't changed. The previous administration jilted many moderates to liberalism and conservatives to moderatism. Holding on to Neo-con beliefs will insure the death of the party (assuming Obama is so-so or better). They need to bring people back to their party with a fresh cohesive and insightful view that relates to more Americans. Showing that they are forward looking and have effective and efficient means to manage the new problems of the 21st century without strangling the budget. But I believe it will take a few years of infighting to find that view.

By ousting the "liberal" republicans you shun more of your Moderate base that held true for god knows what reason. And shrink your support base even more. Welcoming a new third party to try and take you out.

Korriken
Korriken
  • Member since: Jun. 17, 2006
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Member
Level 05
Gamer
Response to just an observation. 2009-10-29 21:01:29 Reply

At 10/29/09 06:35 AM, awkward-silence wrote:
I think you have a fair grasp the required political strategy to regain control, however, you make a faulty assumption. You assume that republican's staying the course on the ideals of the previous administration will shore up victory because either you believe that the American want of those ideals are still the dominate force in the american populace, or you assume that the Obama presidency will be so disasterous that people will long for the glory days of W.

you make one seriously faulty assumption, you assume i want things to go back to the days of bush. hell no. I want it to go back to the days of true conservatism.


I think that both these assumptions are false. The conservatism swing has just about run its course and become a parody of itself, before the last election polls showed that people felt alienated by the leadership of the republican party this is a trend that hasn't changed.

last election didn't have a conservative candidate. McCain is borderline liberal. Palin was, but we dont vote for vice presidents.

By ousting the "liberal" republicans you shun more of your Moderate base that held true for god knows what reason. And shrink your support base even more. Welcoming a new third party to try and take you out.

you do realize all this played out before in the 60's and 70's right? they said conservatism was dead then, too.


I'm not crazy, everyone else is.

awkward-silence
awkward-silence
  • Member since: Mar. 16, 2003
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Member
Level 11
Blank Slate
Response to just an observation. 2009-10-30 05:40:01 Reply

At 10/29/09 09:01 PM, Korriken wrote:
I want it to go back to the days of true conservatism.

Then those are the Ideals that the republicans need to settle on. Reach out to the Libertarians and move your focus away from Neoconservatism (which is the ideology the GOP has built a church).
"In the name of the Father, Irving Krystol and Ronald Reagan. Amen."

last election didn't have a conservative candidate. McCain is borderline liberal. Palin was, but we dont vote for vice presidents.

Ron Paul?

you do realize all this played out before in the 60's and 70's right? they said conservatism was dead then, too.

I've made this point but I'll make it again. This nation moves in swings of liberalism and conservatism. The political tides change every 30-40 years. 1900-1930 conservative, 1930- 1968 liberal, 1970-2008(?) Conservative. In the early 60's the democratic party was just as corrupt as the Republicans were in 2000. They elected a a playboy millionaire with a terrible record to the presidency. He entered us into a quagmire war where we stayed way too long and were way too involved in. (sound familiar so far?) On top of that the nation divides over civil rights. And in that time, liberalism died.

After 2000 people said that the democrates were a dead party. Even after the successes of Clinton, we couldn't elect a succesor.

freddorfman
freddorfman
  • Member since: Mar. 28, 2007
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Member
Level 08
Gamer
Response to just an observation. 2009-10-30 21:26:21 Reply

Faux News is one big haillarious fail to me , even their own moderate republican newscastors have walked off the sets in utter amazment of the pure bullshit that dribbles from the rest of them


Freedom in capitalist society always remains about the same as it was in ancient Greek republics: Freedom for slave owners. VLADIMIR ILYICH LENIN V OKTYBRYE

BBS Signature