New Topic Respond to this Topic
Stupor
Stupor
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 06
Musician
Newgrounds Audio Secret Santa - Sig Oct. 24th, 2009 @ 11:55 AM Reply

First of all, I hope everyone's having a great October (bit chilly here in ATL, but the leaves are changing and the floods are stopping!) I'm Stupor, but from now until Christmas you can call me Santa Claus.
Basically, this activity is exactly what the title describes: a Secret-Santa exchange for the NG Audio community. The presents to be exchanged? Well, songs of course!

-----------------------

Here's the run-down if all goes smoothly:

To start off, there's a sign-up thread (read: THIS THREAD) where you say you're signing up, and in that same post, you say what kinds of music you really like, what instruments you enjoy, and info like that.

Then when the sign-up period is over, I will put all of the names in a random sequence generator and arrange them into a giant chain.

(For example, if three people join, Person A will do Person B, Person B will do Person C, and Person C will do Person A.)

Then, using that list, I will PM all of you and tell you who you are making a gift for.

You will go back to the sign-up thread and find your person. You will take note of what that person said they liked. Then you will make a song based on that.

When you're done, you will all host your files online and send the links back to me; I'll keep them in a folder.

On Christmas Day, I will make a new thread. In the first post I will include links to all of the gifts, in this fashion:

Person A: link (made by Person C)
Person B: link (made by Person A)
Person C: link (made by Person B)

Everybody will go retrieve their presents and have a great Christmas!

-----------------------

Okay, so that's what will happen.

If you want to participate, post in this thread. Say in BIG BOLD LETTERS that you are signing up so there's no confusion. Then list some of your favorite styles of music, your favorite instruments, and anything else you enjoy in a song. Do you like beautiful, melodic synth lines and pads? Post it! Do you like reggae? Ripping guitar solos? Video game music? Post it!

-----------------------

Here are all of the dates involved: (Subject To Change!!)
-- Oct. 31: End of sign-up period. Shortly after that, you'll get the PM with your giftee.
-- Dec. 23: SONGS DUE. Host them online and PM the link to me. Don't miss this date!
-- Dec. 25: Christmas day, everyone goes to pick up their presents!

-----------------------
THERE IS NO TL;DR IN THIS THREAD. IF YOU WISH TO PARTICIPATE, PLEASE READ THIS ENTIRE POST. THIS ACTIVITY IS VERY DEPENDENT ON YOU AND YOUR ABILITY TO CARRY OUT THE STEPS ACCORDING TO THE DATES LISTED ABOVE.

-----------------------

Okay, that's it. Sign up now!

Sometimes, it would rain men. "Hallelujah!", we would cry. Thousands were killed.

Kaizerwolf
Kaizerwolf
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 17
Musician
Response to Newgrounds Audio Secret Santa - Sig Oct. 24th, 2009 @ 12:03 PM Reply

I. AM. SO. IN.

This is a pretty epic idea man!

Alright, the music/style that i prefer;
-Melodic Trance
-Psy Trance
-Smooth melodies with not a lot of really punchy and in your face leads
-Soft pads and such
-Ambiance
-piano solos and the like

Well, there you go. :)

How about you join the NGPD? Just what is the Newgrounds Police Dept.? Click the link and find out for yourself!

BBS Signature
Stupor
Stupor
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 06
Musician
Response to Newgrounds Audio Secret Santa - Sig Oct. 24th, 2009 @ 12:06 PM Reply

Awesome, Kaizer's in!

Also, here's something I forgot to mention:
You can submit your songs to the portal AFTER CHRISTMAS. Do it before Christmas and the surprise is ruined.

Sometimes, it would rain men. "Hallelujah!", we would cry. Thousands were killed.

SolusLunes
SolusLunes
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 19
Musician
Response to Newgrounds Audio Secret Santa - Sig Oct. 24th, 2009 @ 12:21 PM Reply

FUCKING BRILLIANT IDEA I'M SO IN

Always been a fan of ambience, synthy things.

And it's always awesome if the ambience ends up breaking down into a slow sort of DnB.

But yes.

This idea's brilliant.

statueofdiveo
statueofdiveo
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 08
Blank Slate
Response to Newgrounds Audio Secret Santa - Sig Oct. 24th, 2009 @ 01:13 PM Reply

I'm in!

I make house and drum n bass

I like Electrohouse, house, dnb, anything clubby.

Mid-Night
Mid-Night
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 15
Blank Slate
Response to Newgrounds Audio Secret Santa - Sig Oct. 24th, 2009 @ 01:15 PM Reply

Sounds like a plan.

I enjoy sexy-pro DNB.

And chill down-tempo type dittys

www.myspace.com/aeliasmn for must up to date tracks. :)

BBS Signature
MaestroRage
MaestroRage
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 24
Musician
Response to Newgrounds Audio Secret Santa - Sig Oct. 24th, 2009 @ 01:43 PM Reply

haha, well, I guess i'm in. But... whoever I get, and likely i'll get somebody who likes teh technoos or untz untz dance, prepare to be bitterly disappointed by my crappy untz dancing production skillz.

I like only the melodic flow of french horns atop trombone chords jumping from major to minor all the effing time. The violins must play Dim7 when the trombones dip into a minor chord. It must modulate into different keys at what seems random but must still retain it's flow so not to sound like Solus' work. There must be cowbells, so many in fact it would confuse local shepherds around the world. Additionally if the erhu violin is not present none of it holds.

Anything less would ruin my christmas >:c

But on a more serious note I like sad melodic music. Sad ambiance, sad chill core, sad epic. Whatever, as long as it has an intimate feeling. I also appreciate highly aggressive but melodic work too. Dance/Progressive metal... orchestral i guess is an obvious one.

SessileNomad
SessileNomad
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 15
Blank Slate
Response to Newgrounds Audio Secret Santa - Sig Oct. 24th, 2009 @ 01:49 PM Reply

sounds awesome ill join

im SessileNomad

(duh)

I like Ambient/IDM with heavy emphisis on Pianos, Choirs, and Strings

SessileNomad
SessileNomad
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 15
Blank Slate
Response to Newgrounds Audio Secret Santa - Sig Oct. 24th, 2009 @ 01:51 PM Reply

At 10/24/09 01:49 PM, SessileNomad wrote: sounds awesome ill join

im SessileNomad

(duh)
I like Ambient/IDM with heavy emphisis on Pianos, Choirs, and Strings

I AM FUCKING JOINING THIS SHIT, PLEASE READ MY PREVIOUD POST!!!!!

srry, didnt read that you wanted our joing to be in bold xD
Step
Step
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 25
Musician
Response to Newgrounds Audio Secret Santa - Sig Oct. 24th, 2009 @ 01:59 PM Reply

Now that is one great idea. COUNT ME IN!

Now, I wonder who's the unlucky soul who I have to make a song for...

Here's what makes a good song for me:
-Good, catchy melodies. Nothing too complicated (constant time-signature/key changes and stuff in melodies are not ideal for me).
-Any instruments would be fine. As long as the melodies are good. I'd prefer those sort of epic, powerful classical songs or fast-paced dance songs, but really, as a genre, I'm not too fussy.
-A fast paced piano solo with a few chords here and there playing an awesomely catchy melody is what I really enjoy.
-NO AMBIENT!!! PLEASE!!!!!!!!111!!!!
-As for the percussion section, I like congas and bongoes and stuff, but anything works for me, as long as they're varied and fit with the song.
-Did I mention NO AMBIENT?

I can make quite a few different genres (I can't Jazz. My first Jazz song was horrible, and the non-popular ones like Ska and R&B I'm not that good at. Neither Rock/Heavy Metal/Punk, etc, for lack of good samples...) but I tend to do a little better on the Classical/Hip-Hop side (you can check out my latest song up to now called The Essence of Time (see the V2) to see what I can make. I also make windows songs O_o). Anyway, I think I've said enough... I hope this activity thing does well XD.

Review Request Club | CHECK THIS OUT | Formerly Supersteph54
I'm an Audio Moderator. PM me for Audio Portal help.

BBS Signature
Stupor
Stupor
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 06
Musician
Response to Newgrounds Audio Secret Santa - Sig Oct. 24th, 2009 @ 02:01 PM Reply

At 10/24/09 01:43 PM, MaestroRage wrote: I like only the melodic flow of french horns atop trombone chords jumping from major to minor all the effing time. The violins must play Dim7 when the trombones dip into a minor chord. It must modulate into different keys at what seems random but must still retain it's flow so not to sound like Solus' work. There must be cowbells, so many in fact it would confuse local shepherds around the world. Additionally if the erhu violin is not present none of it holds.

That made me laugh XD

But yeah, going outside your comfort zone and composing in new genres is part of the fun! But I know I shouldn't be saying this to a professional artist... :-|

mikkim
mikkim
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 12
Game Developer
Response to Newgrounds Audio Secret Santa - Sig Oct. 24th, 2009 @ 02:30 PM Reply

I AM IN! The type of music that I like is a fusion of dance music (Along the lines of I Gotta Feeling, forever gamer, or Back in time) and boss battle music (like Factory, Blinder or Into the robot factory) keep those examples in mind, because that would make the most awesome song ever combining the two genres.

LK412
LK412
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 08
Blank Slate
Response to Newgrounds Audio Secret Santa - Sig Oct. 24th, 2009 @ 04:37 PM Reply

I AM IN! :D

I like, melodic trance, dream trance, melodic classical stuff, catchy dance, hands-up with an awesome melody.

Pretty much anything with an awesome melody tbh. Catchy, filled with emotion, euphoric and what not.

I'll do my best to satisfy ur guys's needs.

Disregard that last sentence.
Stupor
Stupor
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 06
Musician
Response to Newgrounds Audio Secret Santa - Sig Oct. 24th, 2009 @ 04:56 PM Reply

Cool, a large turnout!

I'm keeping a list of participants on my userpage. If you decide to back out (which would suck for you), make a reply there.

Unrl
Unrl
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 11
Musician
Response to Newgrounds Audio Secret Santa - Sig Oct. 24th, 2009 @ 05:18 PM Reply

IM IN!!

Trance, HappyHardcore, Dance kthxbai.

This sounds so awesome.

BBS Signature
Rig
Rig
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 20
Musician
Response to Newgrounds Audio Secret Santa - Sig Oct. 24th, 2009 @ 07:24 PM Reply

DO WANT TO JOIN

I enjoy DnB with basses that sound like they're gonna eat you alive. BIG AND NASTY >:D
Who cares about the tempo...it's all about the bass.

____________________________Bel-Air remixes! You must listen!____________________________

BBS Signature
XenosiS
XenosiS
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 04
Blank Slate
Response to Newgrounds Audio Secret Santa - Sig Oct. 24th, 2009 @ 07:41 PM Reply

This sounds like waaay too much fun... count me in!

I like Industrial. And Metal. And Industrial Metal. and Metal Industrial.
honestly, if it's aggressive and fast, and it sounds angry, I'll probably be into it.

Xen0siS - Song links below.
Mind Stalker....I.P.V.....Infect10n....T he Sun ( Apollo )

krssvr
krssvr
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 08
Audiophile
Response to Newgrounds Audio Secret Santa - Sig Oct. 24th, 2009 @ 08:21 PM Reply

I'M IN ! this sounds awesomely fun

i like orchestral, hip - hop , industrial and some trance even better with the combination of the first 3

but i doubt my skills in genres like rock/metal....

"I want to care but I just... don't" -Me
Need somewhere to host audio instantly?

BBS Signature
loansindi
loansindi
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 15
Musician
Response to Newgrounds Audio Secret Santa - Sig Oct. 25th, 2009 @ 09:01 AM Reply

Let me say I'm down
With the caveat that I've got to get my computer fixed before I can properly participate. I'll be sure to let you know if that doesn't happen in a timely fashion

That said.

I like teh metalz.

I also like heavy, grating electronic music in the style of funker vogt, and I like sad depressing somewhat epic music in the style of vnv nation.

A lot of electronic music is beyond my appreciation. If it goes uence uence i probz am not a fan.

IronApe
IronApe
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 09
Blank Slate
Response to Newgrounds Audio Secret Santa - Sig Oct. 25th, 2009 @ 09:16 AM Reply

IM IN.

Death metal
Grindcore
Sad blues
Big Band/swing
Downtempo
Anything sad, generally involving minor keys and 7th harmonies.

One or any combination of those would be epic.

Also, I make chiptunes, ambient, death/black/industrial/drone metal, grindcore, and downtempo. I also like to pretend I can make dance-able music.

Stupor
Stupor
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 06
Musician
Response to Newgrounds Audio Secret Santa - Sig Oct. 25th, 2009 @ 10:22 AM Reply

At 10/25/09 09:01 AM, loansindi wrote: Let me say I'm down

Hey loans, weren't you the one in the IRC that told me this idea sucked and would never work?

(:

Sytze
Sytze
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 07
Musician
Response to Newgrounds Audio Secret Santa - Sig Oct. 25th, 2009 @ 11:50 AM Reply

I AM IN :D

Give me some hard electronic music(like dnb, techno and hard trance), or metal

Zuckyshow
Zuckyshow
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 04
Blank Slate
Response to Newgrounds Audio Secret Santa - Sig Oct. 25th, 2009 @ 11:57 AM Reply

I AM DEFINETLY IN!!!

I like Rock (Muse or Queen style) or jazz music. I prefer a fast tempo. Prefably in a minor key

I like electric guitars, cool keyboard solos, etc.
I dont want anything sounding fully emo and heavy.

Krank
Krank
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 14
Blank Slate
Response to Newgrounds Audio Secret Santa - Sig Oct. 25th, 2009 @ 12:27 PM Reply

IM IN

I love suprises. I'm going to end up doing 80's power ballad. I can just see it now

oh yeah, here are the styles I am interested in:

80's love powerballad
smooth jazz
hits from the 90's
Oldskool techno from the early 90's http: www.youtube.com/watch?v=KrLf0VmY7HM
Anything based around your obligatory old sci-fi movie quote

Quarl
Quarl
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 20
Musician
Response to Newgrounds Audio Secret Santa - Sig Oct. 25th, 2009 @ 01:22 PM Reply

I'm in.

I like to hear the sweet dulcet sound of babies sleeping. Ever so gently making euphonious whispers in their sleep. In the midst of all this I want a guitar solo to creep in. The guitar of course has to be in the same room as the babies. It has to be gentle yet powerful. I really don't care how the babies respond to the guitar. In fact, the angrier you can make them the better.

If the above can't be satisfied though I'd like to hear a song using just a piano and a drum kit. Anything can be done to the instruments so long as the song only has those two instruments in there.

Giants are too tall. We'll have to stand on top of each others shoulders to survive.

IKONiC
IKONiC
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 03
Blank Slate
Response to Newgrounds Audio Secret Santa - Sig Oct. 26th, 2009 @ 08:30 AM Reply

I would like to sign up for this project! I would enjoy mainly hard electro or house. Anything progressive is usually fantastic as long as it has vocals. If a song isn't repetitive, but doesn't constantly change to throw you off, that's fine. I like amazing, phenomenal transitions that really build up and make you go "holy shit" and then the beat comes in. Big sweeping pads and really, really nice distorted high leads.

Above all, the most important thing is the bass. It needs to be smooth but powerful. It has to be able to drive the track in co-existence with the kick while not overpowering it. Essentially, an amazing electro track would be awesome.

Oh. And my name in it. My names Frankie. :)

BBS Signature
Rawmin
Rawmin
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 16
Blank Slate
Response to Newgrounds Audio Secret Santa - Sig Oct. 26th, 2009 @ 09:31 AM Reply

Wow, this is probably the most amazing idea I have ever heard on the NG forums. I have an incredible respect for you right now haha.

That said, I have to join!

I like me some really rough, raw, electro house. :D

BBS Signature
Rawmin
Rawmin
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 16
Blank Slate
Response to Newgrounds Audio Secret Santa - Sig Oct. 26th, 2009 @ 09:32 AM Reply

I MEANT TO BOLD THE FACT THAT I AM IN

BBS Signature
Kazmo
Kazmo
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 20
Musician
Response to Newgrounds Audio Secret Santa - Sig Oct. 26th, 2009 @ 11:02 AM Reply

COUNT ME IN!

I love trance of any subgenre, as well as minimal house.
I can enjoy any style of music, as long as I don't get a headache from the actual song.
I'm more for enjoying a solid varying rhythm and bass as well as a well-planned melody.

This sounds awesome! :D

Audio-Technica ATH-700Pro Mk2 Headphones User

If you love trance: Kazmo's Beats!

Sytze
Sytze
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 07
Musician
Response to Newgrounds Audio Secret Santa - Sig Oct. 27th, 2009 @ 03:33 PM Reply

At 10/25/09 11:50 AM, Sytze wrote: Give me some hard electronic music(like dnb, techno and hard trance), or metal

Also, if you can make funk or anything funk-related, it would be awesome (something like old RHCP/Infectious Grooves/P-Funk)