00:00
00:00
Newgrounds Background Image Theme

Jmurr12 just joined the crew!

We need you on the team, too.

Support Newgrounds and get tons of perks for just $2.99!

Create a Free Account and then..

Become a Supporter!

Ben Spurgin, 1977-2009

113,923 Views | 385 Replies
Respond to this Topic

Response to Ben Spurgin, 1977-2009 2009-10-31 14:29:27

The Stick Slayer Series was great, I can't believe he's gone

Newew :)

Response to Ben Spurgin, 1977-2009 2009-10-31 14:41:05

I may not have known him, but he looks like a swell guy. Anyone with with the will to work towards awesomeness on newgrounds has to have a an awesomeness about them. I'm sad to hear that this was due to drugs, and it makes me hate them, all the more. His family will be in my prayers.
-comicR

Response to Ben Spurgin, 1977-2009 2009-10-31 18:37:16

OMG HE DIED!!! O_O R.I.P!!!

Response to Ben Spurgin, 1977-2009 2009-10-31 19:43:09

Thank God nobody has to sit through Stick Sucker IX. What a waste that series was. So what claimed Ben's life? Cancer 'sticks'? hehheuhuhuhehhuhhhuhehhuuhhhuhheheuhh

Response to Ben Spurgin, 1977-2009 2009-11-01 12:10:34

Loved the series.

Response to Ben Spurgin, 1977-2009 2009-11-01 14:28:49

/gasp

Ben Spurgin, 1977-2009

BBS Signature

Response to Ben Spurgin, 1977-2009 2009-11-01 20:18:41

R.I.P will be missed this made me see the series all of them were good espically last one

Response to Ben Spurgin, 1977-2009 2009-11-02 07:36:25

At 11/1/09 10:08 PM, Jacko3334 wrote:
At 10/25/09 10:18 AM, Kaneda-X wrote: Anybody who subjected themselves to drug uses, especially heroine, and die deserves no sympathy, no matter how artistic he may have been.
Fuck you. You're not even half the man Ben was, you prick. People fuck up, you're not perfect. You're evil, dude. What you just said is straight up fucking evil. Rot in hell, asshole.

Oh wow. This loser died of heroine? Lmfao. I second Kaneda-X's comment. Spurgin totally deserved what he got in the end. God doesn't like druggies, kids. I don't think He is too fond of shit-tastic stick animations either.

But it's ok... I bet Ben is looking up at us and screaming right now. LOL BEN. FIRE FIRE FIRE. FEEL THE BURN! *sizzle*

Response to Ben Spurgin, 1977-2009 2009-11-02 09:32:45

At 10/29/09 03:26 PM, Idiot-Finder wrote: Just to let you know, I'll be working on a story covering the last month of Ben Spurgin's life.

And just what the hell are you gonna cover? How many track marks he had? How many fluid ounces of heroine he shot in his veins? How many needle punctures did they find in his rotting corpse?

Response to Ben Spurgin, 1977-2009 2009-11-02 11:49:19

Lot's of nasty posts I see. Whatever. Back in the day Ben contributed to the Newgrounds community, unlike most of you bastards. RIP. Also nevar forget.

Response to Ben Spurgin, 1977-2009 2009-11-02 12:04:17

At 11/2/09 11:49 AM, MortalMaxx wrote: Lot's of nasty posts I see. Whatever. Back in the day Ben contributed to the Newgrounds community, unlike most of you bastards. RIP. Also nevar forget.

When he's shoveling out garbage such as Stick Slayer, it's all for the best that he isn't around to "contribute to the Newgrounds community" any longer.

Response to Ben Spurgin, 1977-2009 2009-11-02 22:17:10

At 11/2/09 12:04 PM, MisterCreedy wrote:
At 11/2/09 11:49 AM, MortalMaxx wrote: Lot's of nasty posts I see. Whatever. Back in the day Ben contributed to the Newgrounds community, unlike most of you bastards. RIP. Also nevar forget.
When he's shoveling out garbage such as Stick Slayer, it's all for the best that he isn't around to "contribute to the Newgrounds community" any longer.

You do realize that Stick slayer was made in 2001-2005?

I think you need to shut the fuck up. Hes dead, for gods sake. Give him alittle bit respect by shutting up altogether.

Response to Ben Spurgin, 1977-2009 2009-11-02 22:56:37

R.I.P Ben. Stick Slayer is awesome.

We have enough youth, how about a fountain of SMART?

Response to Ben Spurgin, 1977-2009 2009-11-03 17:08:43

R.I.P Ben. I've always been a fan of stick slayer. We should send a card to his family, show him how respected he was.

MrPercie on Dromedary: "smug santa claus face, bringing nicieties to those he likes but shite to those he hates - which is everyone"

Sig by this dude

BBS Signature

Response to Ben Spurgin, 1977-2009 2009-11-03 22:43:51

I think Stick Slayer was a pretty cool guy. He kells sticks and doeshnt afrad of anythinbgs

PLEEZ STEEL MY SIGNICHUR

BBS Signature

Response to Ben Spurgin, 1977-2009 2009-11-05 17:01:22

If you see this comment on MindChamber's userpage then it's the original comment, this is just a copy.

May Ben rest in peace and go to the great NG in the sky. His legacy will be his awesome work and the good times that he had with his family and friends. I feel that it would be a fitting tribute, and if Ben's family gives it the green light, if MindChamber is allowed to complete SS9 and thereby complete the apotheosis of Ben Spurgin as one of the true legends/Gods of NG. I believe that the users of NG are like a family and each of us a brother.
Rest in peace my brother in NG. Your light will never dim or be extingushed.

To all those people who are going on about how Ben shouldn't have done drugs, it was his choice. You're only commenting about it because we were told on the StickSlayer page. If you have any humanity left, then you should apologise for smearing Ben's memory with your shameful comments. Both my girlfriend's and my hearts go out to Ben's family and we hope that his work will live on as his legacy. Our bodies are but flesh and blood, but the mind and soul are eternal. Ben inspired everyone who he met, either in person or on NG. I never had the honour of communicating with Ben, but he touched us all.

If this seems wrong or distasteful, then I apologise most sincerely - I propose a toast, "To Ben, one of the true legends of NG".

Hey ho, the banjo's dead!!!

BBS Signature

Response to Ben Spurgin, 1977-2009 2009-11-09 00:11:42

Wow.

RIP dude.

Response to Ben Spurgin, 1977-2009 2009-11-10 08:54:35

RIP man.

its unfair, your life was taken too short.

But we gotta remember his works, that way he can stay immortal

A method to kill which does not harm the body, but directly destroys the person's soul, memories, ego and persona. It is a method which recycles, life. This is Lethe.

Response to Ben Spurgin, 1977-2009 2009-11-10 17:00:20

Hi Everyone,

I'm Ben's little sister and I just wanted to say to you all, thank you SO MUCH for remembering my brother. To those of you who have nasty things to say, all I can say is that I pray DEEPLY you will never have to know the pain, sorrow, and suffering of losing someone who is the world to you. Ben was SO much more than an addict. He was a brother, a son, a devoted uncle, a friend, and an artist. He was clean for almost two years before he relapsed and subsequently overdosed. In that short time of sobriety he touched so MANY lives in such a positive way. Ben was an addict. He made a HORRIBLE choice. But he is so much more than that one choice. For any of you who were lucky enough to know him, you wouldn't have a bad word to say about him. There was not one mean or selfish bone in his body. I am proud to call him my brother and I consider myself SO BLESSED to have had him in my life.

Thank you all so much for your kind remembrances of Ben.

Much love,
Ben's Sister

Ben Spurgin, 1977-2009

Response to Ben Spurgin, 1977-2009 2009-11-14 08:51:18

sad what happened to ben VERY sad so lets watch his nice flash in rememberance of him

Response to Ben Spurgin, 1977-2009 2009-11-14 09:21:39

At 11/10/09 05:00 PM, amydtague wrote:
Much love,
Ben's Sister

If this is a joke, you're going to Hell.

If it's real, than thanks for sharing. i pray for people like you every night.

Sig by BlueHippo - AMA

Formerly PuddinN64 - BBS, Icon, and Portal Mod

"Your friends love you anyway" - Check out Guinea Something Good!

BBS Signature

Response to Ben Spurgin, 1977-2009 2010-01-03 17:35:53

R.I.P.
you're great artist and may your legacy exist for ever on NG

Response to Ben Spurgin, 1977-2009 2010-01-31 16:29:29

There was some sad news this month - Zach Finley, aka CerealboxClock, died in a car accident.

The disturbing trend of dying Flash authors also continued this month, with the compelling Livecorpse suicide.

This was probably the most disturbing year in Newgrounds history... After two contributors had already died, we received a submission by Jeff Weise, aka Regret. Completely overlooked at the time, the submission would later draw attention when Jeff went on a shooting spree and killed himself. His Newgrounds activity was first reported by The Smoking Gun.

As some of you may have seen on the Stick Slayer page and MindChamber's post, NG has lost a beloved artist.

Ben Spurgin (ben-spurgin and benspurgin) made his Flash debut in 2000 and became an NG celeb with his Stick Slayer series. Ben's joy of animating was infectious and inspired many artists to follow in the same path.

Ben was back at it almost a decade later, with Stick Slayer IX on the way. He was only 31.

Our thoughts are with Ben's Mom and family. Losing a loved one is never easy.

We may never get to see Stick Slayer IX, but we can still have one last celebration of Ben's awesomeness. A small group of artists who were around in the Ben days are coming together to create a tribute to his work. There isn't a lot of room in this collab but if you are an old-time accomplished NG contributor and want to help out, shoot me a PM and we'll see what we can do! Include your email address in the PM, so I can put together a contact list to move forward with.

If you have any memories to share about Ben, post them here! JakBaronKing has suggested setting up an NG Memorial page for the artists we've lost over the years, so that is under consideration. I intend for NG to last the next 100 years, so this sort of page will unfortunately become more and more necessary.

okay which is most ironic...

a.ben spurgin put heroin use in game pimps quest then died of heroin overdose.

b.livecorpse always talked like a emo suicidal faggot, then he killed himself...

c.regret's movie showed a man kill abunch of people, then killhimself... which is what regret did!

d.who cares cerealbox clock is dead...

e. all of the above is fucking hiliarious! hahahahaha

-DD

Response to Ben Spurgin, 1977-2009 2012-03-19 16:15:31

R.I.P Ben

Response to Ben Spurgin, 1977-2009 2013-08-15 02:48:36

R.I.P Ben

Response to Ben Spurgin, 1977-2009 2020-04-16 09:46:12

+1

At 1/18/18 07:15 PM, lukeover9000 wrote: Fuck dude, I only saw this now. Many years after.

Consider it funny or not, Pimp's quest was a childhood game for me. I thought it was hilarious and very cool.

This is so sad, I can't believe this guy is dead. I'd love to see his music for Pimp's quest 2, if anyone has it or something. I've always wanted to hear the full audio.

This sucks so bad, I hate it when nice people die at such an early age.
At 10/23/09 04:24 PM, TomFulp wrote: As some of you may have seen on the Stick Slayer page and MindChamber's post, NG has lost a beloved artist.

Ben Spurgin (ben-spurgin and benspurgin) made his Flash debut in 2000 and became an NG celeb with his Stick Slayer series. Ben's joy of animating was infectious and inspired many artists to follow in the same path.

Ben was back at it almost a decade later, with Stick Slayer IX on the way. He was only 31.

Our thoughts are with Ben's Mom and family. Losing a loved one is never easy.

We may never get to see Stick Slayer IX, but we can still have one last celebration of Ben's awesomeness. A small group of artists who were around in the Ben days are coming together to create a tribute to his work. There isn't a lot of room in this collab but if you are an old-time accomplished NG contributor and want to help out, shoot me a PM and we'll see what we can do! Include your email address in the PM, so I can put together a contact list to move forward with.

If you have any memories to share about Ben, post them here! JakBaronKing has suggested setting up an NG Memorial page for the artists we've lost over the years, so that is under consideration. I intend for NG to last the next 100 years, so this sort of page will unfortunately become more and more necessary.