Chrispington
Chrispington
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 33
Blank Slate
Response to Art Forum Game [Discussion] 2009-10-30 07:07:37 Reply

At 10/29/09 09:56 PM, ReNaeNae wrote:
willing to be more 'hands-on' in helping all of us newbies out with the process. No offense to Chris, but I think that's something this project really needs (and by this project, I mean me! lol). :P

Yeah that's true, which is why I suggested making a temporary forum for use as a dev portal while the game's being made.

That way you don't have to contact everyone every time the new versions of everything are updated.
Can also use a temp forum that can show .swf and accept file uploads etc. - and edit posts so that stickys can be kept up do date and the info you want is 1st post.
Also it keeps everyone on the same page so that if someone has a question it can be asked and answered in public and no one need ask the same question again.
The NG forum is fine but it's not really designed for developing flash games :P

As long as we've got solutions to those problems I'll be fine dealing with everyone and getting the synergy going. I really suggest a temp forum or developers portal of some kind.

BBS Signature
pabouchard
pabouchard
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 36
Musician
Response to Art Forum Game [Discussion] 2009-10-30 12:53:28 Reply

At 10/29/09 08:49 PM, Sci-Fi wrote: some of us should get back talking about the audio stuff. if we're going to work on groups for the audio as well then we should start figuring out how to do it.
heres what i see working regarding the music

A. We all just pick the level/s we feel we are strongest at doing. then do it

B. Find some way to collab on one work as a group.(this sounds hard but is not all together impossible either.)

any ideas?

Well man, I suggest we do the music all alone. No other artist.

Since there are 6 themes, I suggest we pick up 3 each and make music for it.

What do you think?

Re2deemer
Re2deemer
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 13
Blank Slate
Response to Art Forum Game [Discussion] 2009-10-30 14:16:19 Reply

Creating a separate forum for the game (it needs a name <_<) would be useful indeed. Easier than to attempt to keep up with the separate conversations in this thread and trying to contact other through IM programs. Besides, there are tons of free forum providers out there so getting one shouldn't be much trouble.
Don't think .swf support is critical for the forum though. We can just link to an external site where we have uploaded the Flash file. I poked the home pages of a few forum providers and none of them had .swf support brought out as a feature - it's either isn't there or it's too trivial to present as a feature.

I also wanted to ask confirmation about one thing - Cyberpunk still *is* something along the lines of Sci-fi, right? I'm not 100% sure about this even though I voted for it and volunteered for the cyberpunk artist group.

Err, question for angryglacier and Kinsei01 - what are you guys designing? Is that some enemy (which enviroment) or is it the player? And Kinsei01, it's most likely best to present it in (ortographic?) side view since that's the way it will be seen in the game.

PS - how does one spell Hopeku anyway? Ho-peku or Hope-eku?

BBS Signature
Kinsei
Kinsei
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 41
Artist
Response to Art Forum Game [Discussion] 2009-10-30 14:32:24 Reply

At 10/30/09 02:16 PM, Re2deemer wrote: I also wanted to ask confirmation about one thing - Cyberpunk still *is* something along the lines of Sci-fi, right? I'm not 100% sure about this even though I voted for it and volunteered for the cyberpunk artist group.

Err, question for angryglacier and Kinsei01 - what are you guys designing? Is that some enemy (which enviroment) or is it the player? And Kinsei01, it's most likely best to present it in (ortographic?) side view since that's the way it will be seen in the game.

Yes Cybeounk is pretty much along the lines of Sci-fi, just more neon. and a little spikier.

And when the time comes the model will be in it's orthographic/side view, I'm just rendering 3/4 angles so people can see it in production stages, although nothing is final.

As for what I have worked on so far, the ship is obvious, but I have also done some background biuildings in illustrator so they are easy to import in to flash.
I want to make up some enemies soon, probably later today.

For work flow, I figure if we all chip in on the different elements of out respective levels then the work load won't be so hard, it will also allow us to work on everything together with out just one person being dedicated to a single area of the level.

Whiskey | The Old | The New | Portal | updated sig thanks to gumby

BBS Signature
BlackmarketKraig
BlackmarketKraig
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 32
Artist
Response to Art Forum Game [Discussion] 2009-10-30 17:40:43 Reply

The big news is that BoMToons has agreed to do the coding, I feel that he will be the best option as he is very active in the forums and hands on.

Second; I'm going to plug the SIGN UP POST, if you haven't already, sign up for the project and choose which themes you would like to work on the most.

Finally: Apologies to Sci-Fi and Hopeku, I've been a little busy and haven't been able to keep up for the past couple of days with the music end of this project. I think that having a main theme for the game is a great idea and variations of that theme in different styles for each of the levels and the main menu would be grand if that's agreeable. I would love to have Sci-Fi come up with an intro theme (beings that he was involved first), something dreamlike that we can listen to and maybe give some crit, if he is able in the next few days.

If I miss anything that needs addressing please PM or IM me about it, because I may overlook something that gets posted, it happens. If I'm not responding, alert ReNaeNae and she'll kick my ass. =P

That's all for now.

This sig is 100% effective protection from all hexes, curses, evil spirits and bad karma. Guaranteed.

BBS Signature
Henry-nougat
Henry-nougat
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 07
Blank Slate
Response to Art Forum Game [Discussion] 2009-10-30 19:50:53 Reply

Hmmm I think I'll work on some animation to get me ready for this kind of thing at a later date.

Just started to get into it even though I've been on this site for years lol.

Might check out the flash portal and gets some tips and hints on making flash not so arduous at times.

My Art. Enjoy Life

BBS Signature
TurkeyOnAStick
TurkeyOnAStick
  • Online!
Forum Stats
Level 25
Artist
Response to Art Forum Game [Discussion] 2009-11-01 18:12:25 Reply

Thought I should post a couple of my better sketches for the cell game.
A: Lymphocytes - creates multiple homing (killable) missiles. Need to kill centre to stop spawns.
B: Phagocyte - swallows playable character, leeches player and unable to attack other enemies.
C: Brain cell - Shoots lightning bolts (peow peow) - at 50% health (headache) increased rate of fire and more susceptible to damage.
D: Sperm cell with a mini-gun.

Apologies for the roughness :/

Art Forum Game [Discussion]

BBS Signature
Kembry
Kembry
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 27
Artist
Response to Art Forum Game [Discussion] 2009-11-01 18:17:06 Reply

Hey I am interested, I could do some art.
I just need to sgn up there , upper post

Glacier
Glacier
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 04
Blank Slate
Response to Art Forum Game [Discussion] 2009-11-02 01:52:34 Reply

Progress.

Kembry
Kembry
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 27
Artist
Response to Art Forum Game [Discussion] 2009-11-02 09:05:50 Reply

Sorry but this is kind of the spaceship ?
looks strange

BlackmarketKraig
BlackmarketKraig
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 32
Artist
Response to Art Forum Game [Discussion] 2009-11-02 13:44:15 Reply

At 11/1/09 06:12 PM, TurkeyOnAStick wrote: Thought I should post a couple of my better sketches for the cell game.

I just wanted to say that those are fantastic!

--

I'm loving the enthusiasm. =]

This sig is 100% effective protection from all hexes, curses, evil spirits and bad karma. Guaranteed.

BBS Signature
bigjonny13
bigjonny13
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Supporter
Level 53
Voice Actor
Response to Art Forum Game [Discussion] 2009-11-02 14:39:27 Reply

At 11/1/09 06:12 PM, TurkeyOnAStick wrote: Apologies for the roughness :/

I'm loving what I see here mate. I have a few other ideas (I'm a bit to busy to make some mock sketches).
1) Lysosomes - They can either be suicidal cells that explode upon impact, or cells that spew forth acid
2) Cell Membrane pores - Every cell has a membrane, so I think maybe we should have the player reach the membrane and can only pass through the pores (1 or 2 of them per membrane), and only when the pores are open can they pass through (they could either open and close via time, or open after a certain switch is hit/enemy killed)

idiot-monarch
idiot-monarch
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 19
Artist
Response to Art Forum Game [Discussion] 2009-11-02 15:24:58 Reply

some concept thing for the surreal level. guy shoots shit out of his trunk while walking across the screen.

[{**(0 njnO+!!$;;;''

Latest Blog Entry - thx

BBS Signature
J-qb
J-qb
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 14
Artist
Response to Art Forum Game [Discussion] 2009-11-02 17:14:04 Reply

At 11/2/09 03:24 PM, idiot-monarch wrote: some concept thing for the surreal level. guy shoots shit out of his trunk while walking across the screen.

very dali,
very nice!

NEVER LOOSE FAITH IN MANCUNT

BBS Signature
TurkeyOnAStick
TurkeyOnAStick
  • Online!
Forum Stats
Level 25
Artist
Response to Art Forum Game [Discussion] 2009-11-02 17:17:49 Reply

At 11/2/09 02:39 PM, big-jonny-13 wrote: 1) Lysosomes - ... cells that spew forth acid

I'll have a go at that. I've got a bunch of swarm ideas, but no shooty-shooty.

2) Cell Membrane pores - ... only when the pores are open can they pass through (they could either open and close via time, or open after a certain switch is hit/enemy killed)

I'm glad you're thinking like that. Good for events, bosses and minibosses.

BBS Signature
bigjonny13
bigjonny13
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Supporter
Level 53
Voice Actor
Response to Art Forum Game [Discussion] 2009-11-03 20:23:13 Reply

Aha! Studying biochemistry has given me another idea for the cell level.
Now, every good shooter needs power-ups. So what would be a good power-up for a cell level?
Why, antibiotics of course. It would be something simple like it creates a temporary shield around the player for a certain amount of time or a certain amount of hits.

Boss
Boss
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 31
Melancholy
Response to Art Forum Game [Discussion] 2009-11-04 06:42:00 Reply

The genre apocalypse seems vague, has there been any ideas on detail what it might be like? I keep thinking that it might be something like destroyed cities and shit, or something like mad mad 2, but I really don't know what people are going to decide on. Any ideas anyone has as of now?

I'm an instigator

BBS Signature
BlackmarketKraig
BlackmarketKraig
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 32
Artist
Response to Art Forum Game [Discussion] 2009-11-04 16:43:43 Reply

BoMToons, coder extraordinaire, has consulted myself and Tom and has written up a very useful outline for the project, check that out as well as a few other tidbits at the NG Shump project index.

Some of the highlights:
Half of the levels will be side-view and half will be top-down, alternating.
All levels will be selectable from the beginning.
Upgrades will be purchased in an always accessible store menu.
And lots more...

READ UP!!

--

ALSO: SIGN UPS END TONIGHT!! If you wish to be inclused on a team, you need to post there.

BBS Signature
bigjonny13
bigjonny13
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Supporter
Level 53
Voice Actor
Response to Art Forum Game [Discussion] 2009-11-04 16:57:39 Reply

At 11/4/09 04:43 PM, BlackmarketKraig wrote: BoMToons, coder extraordinaire, has consulted myself and Tom and has written up a very useful outline for the project, check that out as well as a few other tidbits at the NG Shump project index.

Damn, this looks pretty awesome.
Hope I can be a good part of the team.

J-qb
J-qb
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 14
Artist
Response to Art Forum Game [Discussion] 2009-11-04 16:58:50 Reply

At 11/4/09 04:43 PM, BlackmarketKraig wrote: BoMToons, coder extraordinaire, has consulted myself and Tom and has written up a very useful outline for the project, check that out as well as a few other tidbits at the NG Shump project index.

OOOH yummy... thats some great stuff poeples...
another idea for avoiding the one-hit death scenario could be an auto-regenerating shield, that will stop all bullets, but every bullet it stops depletes the shield a bit... the shield regenerates if youre not being hit.

NEVER LOOSE FAITH IN MANCUNT

BBS Signature
TurkeyOnAStick
TurkeyOnAStick
  • Online!
Forum Stats
Level 25
Artist
Response to Art Forum Game [Discussion] 2009-11-04 17:22:40 Reply

At 11/4/09 04:58 PM, J-qb wrote: another idea for avoiding the one-hit death scenario could be an auto-regenerating shield, that will stop all bullets, but every bullet it stops depletes the shield a bit... the shield regenerates if youre not being hit.

Ah get out of my head.
If you're think regenerating shield, I can see how that works on Halo since it encourages players to hug cover and not go shit crazy with bullets.
... which is the opposite of a continually scrolling shooter :/
You could stop screen, kill enemies, then get a continue to the next enemy screen, but that would be sluggish. Plus each enemy wave must be hard enough to potentially get you from 100% to 0% health.

Woo

BBS Signature
TurkeyOnAStick
TurkeyOnAStick
  • Online!
Forum Stats
Level 25
Artist
Response to Art Forum Game [Discussion] 2009-11-04 19:14:04 Reply

Changed my original cell concepts so that they're now top-down.
... and I'll prob scrap the circle shaped theme, cos it'll look like an aggresive game of marbles. And it's needlessly restricting the design.
Think I've done a better job with the playable sperm concept.

Also had the idea of having the cell nuclei indicating the rewards for enemy kills (like health, gold, kinder surprise).

BBS Signature
bigjonny13
bigjonny13
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Supporter
Level 53
Voice Actor
Response to Art Forum Game [Discussion] 2009-11-04 19:17:52 Reply

At 11/4/09 07:14 PM, TurkeyOnAStick wrote: Changed my original cell concepts so that they're now top-down.

Looking sharp TOAS, I'm loving it.
Did you see my idea about the antibodies? Thoughts?
Also, I was thinking about maybe having a virus as the stage boss...

gmanthesandwhichking
gmanthesandwhichking
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 04
Blank Slate
Response to Art Forum Game [Discussion] 2009-11-04 19:29:36 Reply

I actually know somebody who is a programmer, or, at least, knows actionscript. I'll tell him about this.

"Make art, not war." - Shepard Fairey

BBS Signature
Boss
Boss
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 31
Melancholy
Response to Art Forum Game [Discussion] 2009-11-04 19:31:20 Reply

A really rough sketch idea I had for a post apocalyptic enemy,of a tank which shoots forward missiles , with a guy on the top who has a rapid fire gun constantly shooting to the right of the screen so you have to go around to the left to kill the tank.

Ill clean it up with thinner lines and all that stuff later, I felt I had to post my idea though.

I'm an instigator

BBS Signature
Vousielle
Vousielle
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 16
Artist
Response to Art Forum Game [Discussion] 2009-11-05 00:42:53 Reply

How about making the Post-apocalyptic game one of those RTS 'wave release games' similar to Crimson Warfare or Warfare 1917. Also I have an idea for a post-apocalyptic melee unit that is outfitted with random crap, I will do both a realistic and chibi version.

Freedom of Speech: Priceless, for everything else there's MasterCard

BBS Signature
Glacier
Glacier
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 04
Blank Slate
Response to Art Forum Game [Discussion] 2009-11-05 01:51:41 Reply

At 11/5/09 12:42 AM, Vousielle wrote: How about making the Post-apocalyptic game one of those RTS 'wave release games' similar to Crimson Warfare or Warfare 1917. Also I have an idea for a post-apocalyptic melee unit that is outfitted with random crap, I will do both a realistic and chibi version.

We've both got ideas for the post apocolyptic part of the art forum game... Care to talk about it? angryglacierartforum@gmail.com or PM whichever you feel like.

Boss
Boss
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 31
Melancholy
Response to Art Forum Game [Discussion] 2009-11-05 06:51:16 Reply

At 11/5/09 12:42 AM, Vousielle wrote: How about making the Post-apocalyptic game one of those RTS 'wave release games'

But isn't this game supposed to be all sidescrollers? Or would you shoot oncoming waves or something?

I'm an instigator

BBS Signature
Kembry
Kembry
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 27
Artist
Response to Art Forum Game [Discussion] 2009-11-05 08:09:01 Reply

When gone be added a list of artist ? :)