00:00
00:00
Newgrounds Background Image Theme

Zpredojev just joined the crew!

We need you on the team, too.

Support Newgrounds and get tons of perks for just $2.99!

Create a Free Account and then..

Become a Supporter!

Art Forum Game [Discussion]

26,338 Views | 390 Replies
New Topic Respond to this Topic

Response to Art Forum Game [Discussion] 2009-11-04 16:58:50

At 11/4/09 04:43 PM, BlackmarketKraig wrote: BoMToons, coder extraordinaire, has consulted myself and Tom and has written up a very useful outline for the project, check that out as well as a few other tidbits at the NG Shump project index.

OOOH yummy... thats some great stuff poeples...
another idea for avoiding the one-hit death scenario could be an auto-regenerating shield, that will stop all bullets, but every bullet it stops depletes the shield a bit... the shield regenerates if youre not being hit.

NEVER LOOSE FAITH IN MANCUNT

BBS Signature

Response to Art Forum Game [Discussion] 2009-11-04 17:22:40

At 11/4/09 04:58 PM, J-qb wrote: another idea for avoiding the one-hit death scenario could be an auto-regenerating shield, that will stop all bullets, but every bullet it stops depletes the shield a bit... the shield regenerates if youre not being hit.

Ah get out of my head.
If you're think regenerating shield, I can see how that works on Halo since it encourages players to hug cover and not go shit crazy with bullets.
... which is the opposite of a continually scrolling shooter :/
You could stop screen, kill enemies, then get a continue to the next enemy screen, but that would be sluggish. Plus each enemy wave must be hard enough to potentially get you from 100% to 0% health.

Woo

BBS Signature

Response to Art Forum Game [Discussion] 2009-11-04 19:14:04

Changed my original cell concepts so that they're now top-down.
... and I'll prob scrap the circle shaped theme, cos it'll look like an aggresive game of marbles. And it's needlessly restricting the design.
Think I've done a better job with the playable sperm concept.

Also had the idea of having the cell nuclei indicating the rewards for enemy kills (like health, gold, kinder surprise).

BBS Signature

Response to Art Forum Game [Discussion] 2009-11-04 19:17:52

At 11/4/09 07:14 PM, TurkeyOnAStick wrote: Changed my original cell concepts so that they're now top-down.

Looking sharp TOAS, I'm loving it.
Did you see my idea about the antibodies? Thoughts?
Also, I was thinking about maybe having a virus as the stage boss...

Response to Art Forum Game [Discussion] 2009-11-04 19:29:36

I actually know somebody who is a programmer, or, at least, knows actionscript. I'll tell him about this.

"Make art, not war." - Shepard Fairey

BBS Signature

Response to Art Forum Game [Discussion] 2009-11-04 19:31:20

A really rough sketch idea I had for a post apocalyptic enemy,of a tank which shoots forward missiles , with a guy on the top who has a rapid fire gun constantly shooting to the right of the screen so you have to go around to the left to kill the tank.

Ill clean it up with thinner lines and all that stuff later, I felt I had to post my idea though.

https://generated.inspirobot.me/a/qlPBXrQme5.jpg

Response to Art Forum Game [Discussion] 2009-11-05 00:42:53

How about making the Post-apocalyptic game one of those RTS 'wave release games' similar to Crimson Warfare or Warfare 1917. Also I have an idea for a post-apocalyptic melee unit that is outfitted with random crap, I will do both a realistic and chibi version.

Freedom of Speech: Priceless, for everything else there's MasterCard

BBS Signature

Response to Art Forum Game [Discussion] 2009-11-05 06:51:16

At 11/5/09 12:42 AM, Vousielle wrote: How about making the Post-apocalyptic game one of those RTS 'wave release games'

But isn't this game supposed to be all sidescrollers? Or would you shoot oncoming waves or something?

Response to Art Forum Game [Discussion] 2009-11-05 08:09:01

When gone be added a list of artist ? :)

Response to Art Forum Game [Discussion] 2009-11-05 13:10:47

There were more than a few sign ups, so getting everyone who wants in sorted into teams will take a bit, but I'm on it. Once we have teams in place I'll want to see some serious brainstorming for the team your on, not just for ships, enemies and bosses but the level is just as important, I'd like to see some cool environment ideas ranging from the look of the background and foreground to level hazards such as moving parts, stuff you have to shoot to get through and winding passages, if you've played shumps before you should be familiar with these concepts.

This sig is 100% effective protection from all hexes, curses, evil spirits and bad karma. Guaranteed.

BBS Signature

Response to Art Forum Game [Discussion] 2009-11-05 13:38:25

Why cant this be random? like one big clusterfuck of a mess of randomness. It would be epic, and totally ridiculous. Do we have to use a boring ol spaceship :( or will it be something fun and unique c:

also can i do some arts for this :D I'll gladly like to help where needed

Response to Art Forum Game [Discussion] 2009-11-05 14:00:15

At 11/5/09 01:38 PM, Gonzossm wrote: Why cant this be random? like one big clusterfuck of a mess of randomness. It would be epic, and totally ridiculous. Do we have to use a boring ol spaceship :( or will it be something fun and unique c:

It actually is pretty random. Look at the 6 level types we have, and that gives a whole lot of options for designs.

also can i do some arts for this :D I'll gladly like to help where needed

That would be awesome for you to be on board

Response to Art Forum Game [Discussion] 2009-11-05 16:23:04

I Made a news post about this, but I figured I would post it here as well:

Here are the teams for the Newgrounds Shump project (formerly called the Art Forum Game)

If you are displeased to be on the team you were picked for send me a PM, I tried to put people on the teams they wanted to be on and also tried to have a good mix of experienced artists and artists with less experience.

NG Shump project index

BBS Thread

TEAMS:

-Steampunk (horizontal level)
LaserKarl
just2pale
Knocturne
AwesomeSaurus
M-Vero
ashman112
Sgtkillstuff

-Surreal (vertical level)
TimFrommeyer
ReNaeNae
johnnycancer
idiot-monarch
KillHammer
Spaghetti14
zooominsh

-Flash Portal/Newgrounds (horizontal level)
Wonchop
JKAmovies
test-object
FlashyGregory
J-qb
Darkdiablo
Homocidicle

-Post Apocalyptic (vertical level)
ornery
angryglacier
Ani-x
DooDooMeaT
Endless-Psychoticism
flashwarrior
Ken10Ben

-Cyberpunk (horizontal level)
Vousielle
M-Vero
Kinsei01
Gonzossm
Kurofelis
FatKidWithAJetpack
De-Line

-Cell (vertical level)
TurkeyOnAStick
EJR
Lundsfryd
zooominsh
Captain-Ben
big-jonny-13
Goat-Man
rockartofwar

This sig is 100% effective protection from all hexes, curses, evil spirits and bad karma. Guaranteed.

BBS Signature

Response to Art Forum Game [Discussion] 2009-11-05 16:40:21

Woot, cell level with TOAS.
I'll be sure to bring my scientific knowledge to the group.

Response to Art Forum Game [Discussion] 2009-11-05 16:57:55

At 11/5/09 04:40 PM, big-jonny-13 wrote: Woot, cell level with TOAS.
I'll be sure to bring my scientific knowledge to the group.

I got cyberpunk, :P
saw it coming, woot!

Whiskey | The Old | The New | Portal | updated sig thanks to gumby

BBS Signature

Response to Art Forum Game [Discussion] 2009-11-05 17:12:39

Yeah Post Apocalyptic.I need to fix up that tank I drew now.

I have 1 idea as of now: Some of the obstacles could be toppled over cars or fences/barbed wire fences to shoot through.

Response to Art Forum Game [Discussion] 2009-11-05 17:19:22

Is there a place for one more artist? :(

Response to Art Forum Game [Discussion] 2009-11-05 17:24:10

easiest way to keep this together would be IM, group conversations would be good my msn addy is on my userpage guys

Response to Art Forum Game [Discussion] 2009-11-05 17:26:34

At 11/5/09 05:24 PM, ashman112 wrote: easiest way to keep this together would be IM, group conversations would be good my msn addy is on my userpage guys

although I am all up for keeping tight contact, I would be concerned with the file sharing that would be needed for this...

pm your team mates!

BBS Signature

Response to Art Forum Game [Discussion] 2009-11-05 17:34:37

I dont know what cyberpunk is but this outta be a fun experience ;D I'll just use google for reference.

Response to Art Forum Game [Discussion] 2009-11-05 17:37:37

At 11/5/09 05:34 PM, Gonzossm wrote: I dont know what cyberpunk is but this outta be a fun experience ;D I'll just use google for reference.

watch the following movies
Heavy Metal 2000 (or the original Heavy Metal)
Judge Dredd
Akira
Blade Runner
Ghost in the Shell

Those are all pretty good reference of cyberpunk

BBS Signature

Response to Art Forum Game [Discussion] 2009-11-05 17:37:59

Sweet teams! I just got a read through BoM's game layout page, and it sounds like it's going to be very well done. Once you assign team-leaders, I think it might be a good idea to dedicate a part of their user-page for team communication.

Or maybe we can just get an "ArtForumShmup" account made, with different news posts for each level, that way it's basically like a mini-forum for everyone involved.

This really is very exciting though, it will definitely be the most elaborate and legendary thing to have come from the art forum!

Response to Art Forum Game [Discussion] 2009-11-05 17:50:41

Im not really experienced with steampunk as a definite style. This will be awesome.

Also, Im not sure, but I think my msn isnt letting me add anyone, so if those in my group with msn would add me instead that would be greaaaaaat....

Response to Art Forum Game [Discussion] 2009-11-05 17:52:26

of course, that would be guntherswanh@hotmail.com

*idiot*

Response to Art Forum Game [Discussion] 2009-11-05 17:54:00

At 11/5/09 05:37 PM, AwesomeSaurus wrote: Or maybe we can just get an "ArtForumShmup" account made, with different news posts for each level, that way it's basically like a mini-forum for everyone involved.

That's actually a really good idea!!!
And it will be like a table of contents on the main newspost.
I wonder how we're gonna communicate all this.. Hmm. Soon to be found out.
As for me, today and tomorrow = midtermssss. Off to go study some shit.

Response to Art Forum Game [Discussion] 2009-11-05 17:54:22

Mucho apologies to Re2deemer, I totally left him out of the teams list, my fault. =[

He had requested the cyberpunk team, so that's where I put him. ;]

Also, I felt that we still have enough room for UltraPitchFork & TehSlapHappy, even though they were a bit late to the party. =P

UPDATED TEAMS:

-Steampunk (horizontal level)
LaserKarl
just2pale
Knocturne
AwesomeSaurus
M-Vero
ashman112
Sgtkillstuff

TimFrommeyer
ReNaeNae
johnnycancer
idiot-monarch
KillHammer
Spaghetti14
zooominsh
UltraPitchFork

Wonchop
JKAmovies
test-object
FlashyGregory
J-qb
Darkdiablo
Homocidicle
TehSlapHappy

-Post Apocalyptic (vertical level)
ornery
angryglacier
Ani-x
DooDooMeaT
Endless-Psychoticism
flashwarrior
Ken10Ben

-Cyberpunk (horizontal level)
Vousielle
M-Vero
Kinsei01
Gonzossm
Kurofelis
FatKidWithAJetpack
De-Line
Re2deemer

-Cell (vertical level)
TurkeyOnAStick
EJR
Lundsfryd
zooominsh
Captain-Ben
big-jonny-13
Goat-Man
rockartofwar

BBS Signature

Response to Art Forum Game [Discussion] 2009-11-05 17:58:04

At 11/5/09 05:52 PM, LaserKarl wrote: of course, that would be guntherswanh@hotmail.com

*idiot*

I added you

Response to Art Forum Game [Discussion] 2009-11-05 17:58:05

At 11/5/09 05:54 PM, BlackmarketKraig wrote: -Flash Portal/Newgrounds (horizontal level)
Wonchop
JKAmovies
test-object
FlashyGregory
J-qb
Darkdiablo
Homocidicle
TehSlapHappy

I know one of you probably already found this, but I was using it earlier today as a matter of fact, and this could be really useful to your guys' stuff.

Response to Art Forum Game [Discussion] 2009-11-05 18:00:12

At 11/5/09 04:23 PM, BlackmarketKraig wrote:
Here are the teams for the Newgrounds Shump project (formerly called the Art Forum Game)
Wonchop
JKAmovies
test-object
FlashyGregory
J-qb
Darkdiablo
Homocidicle

Not to excited about the theme, but that is a serioulsy awesome lineup! thisll be great!
Some great artists have subscribed to this project, Im really anxious to see how this turns out...

NEVER LOOSE FAITH IN MANCUNT

BBS Signature

Response to Art Forum Game [Discussion] 2009-11-05 18:01:03

Typical, I WOULD put someone on two teams....

zoomnish, you're officially on surreal.

TimFrommeyer
ReNaeNae
johnnycancer
idiot-monarch
KillHammer
Spaghetti14
zooominsh
UltraPitchFork

I hope that's the last mistake I made on this list...

BBS Signature