00:00
00:00
Newgrounds Background Image Theme

Thrll just joined the crew!

We need you on the team, too.

Support Newgrounds and get tons of perks for just $2.99!

Create a Free Account and then..

Become a Supporter!

Art Forum Game [Discussion]

26,343 Views | 390 Replies
New Topic Respond to this Topic

Response to Art Forum Game [Discussion] 2009-11-09 11:49:16

At 11/9/09 06:35 AM, flashwarrior wrote:
At 11/9/09 12:08 AM, BoMToons wrote: Main clip (movieclip) > guts (moveclip) > timeline of labeled frames, each frame holds a movieclip for one action of the boss (see folder "lev0>boss>boss0 for example)
So we have the enemy/boss in an MC then in the next frame the MC of them getting shot/hurt?
And then we put the rest of its attacks in the other MCs after that right? Or am I missing something? Because I'm not the brightest.

Yeah, that's basically it...but the frames would be like:
[p1idle][p1attack1][p1attack2][phase1dea th][p2idle][p2attack1][p2attack2][p2deat h]

Look at the fla I posted if you're still confused, specifically "the lev0>boss>boss0" clip

Response to Art Forum Game [Discussion] 2009-11-09 12:33:24

Also Some simple collab rules apply here as well.

make sure not to name your MCs something generic, like enemy or player.

use unique names or make up something that works for you STEAMP_player, STEAMP_enemy1, etc.

Response to Art Forum Game [Discussion] 2009-11-09 15:27:43

PAGING THE NEWGROUNDS/FLASH PORTAL TEAM

Please report in with your team leader and thread.

Also: I updated the news post with a couple of new team members.

This sig is 100% effective protection from all hexes, curses, evil spirits and bad karma. Guaranteed.

BBS Signature

Response to Art Forum Game [Discussion] 2009-11-09 16:57:38

At 11/9/09 03:27 PM, BlackmarketKraig wrote: PAGING THE NEWGROUNDS/FLASH PORTAL TEAM

Please report in with your team leader and thread.

Also: I updated the news post with a couple of new team members.

Newgrounds/flash portal reporting: we have been having contact, so far I have not been able to contact Darkdiablo.

if you read this darkdiable please read my pm, or pm me, or add me on msn jqb.design[at]gmail.com

We have held a vote, not all results are in but lets say im 90 percent certain JKAmovies will be teamcaptain, I will be jka`s right hand. We waited to create a thread untill the team captain was known. We have had some brainstorming sessions, and some of us are agreed on the general outline of our level, we`ll have to talk it through with the rest of the team.

As you see, progress ;).
I expect JKA to make a thread today/tomorrow (its early morning in australia).

NEVER LOOSE FAITH IN MANCUNT

BBS Signature

Response to Art Forum Game [Discussion] 2009-11-09 18:13:56

At 11/9/09 04:57 PM, J-qb wrote:
Newgrounds/flash portal reporting: we have been having contact, so far I have not been able to contact Darkdiablo.

As you see, progress ;).
I expect JKA to make a thread today/tomorrow (its early morning in australia).

Very good. Carry on and try not to get behind.

This sig is 100% effective protection from all hexes, curses, evil spirits and bad karma. Guaranteed.

BBS Signature

Response to Art Forum Game [Discussion] 2009-11-09 19:00:19

Hey guys, this looks like it will be absolutely AMAZING! I wish I was a good enough artist to take part. Ah well. Anyway, I was looking around, and didn't see a due date on this, I was wondering when this was going to be submitted.

OMG OMG OMG STEAMPUNK, POST-APOCOLYPTIC AND SURREAL LEVELS OMG OMG HOLY SHIT YES!

This looks froody.

BBS Signature

Response to Art Forum Game [Discussion] 2009-11-09 19:17:41

TO ALL POTENTIAL ARTISTS WHO WISH TO JOIN THIS PROJECT:
YOU MUST NOW BE APPROVED BOTH BY MYSELF AND BY THE LEADER OF THE TEAM YOU WISH TO JOIN. Sorry, but that's the way it's going to be from now on.

TO ALL EXISTING ARTISTS:
You CAN be cut from the project if the team leader does not think you are cutting it.

This is a serious project and I intend to see it completed successfully.

BBS Signature

Response to Art Forum Game [Discussion] 2009-11-09 20:23:07

At 11/9/09 07:17 PM, BlackmarketKraig wrote:
TO ALL EXISTING ARTISTS:
You CAN be cut from the project if the team leader does not think you are cutting it.

This is a serious project and I intend to see it completed successfully.

BMK is a meanie <:c

Response to Art Forum Game [Discussion] 2009-11-09 22:48:31

CORRECTION:
============

Vertical width is 350 px

I mis-posted 450 before. Sorry.

Response to Art Forum Game [Discussion] 2009-11-10 00:31:58

this is looking like its going to turn out awesome, especially excited about the steampunk level.

Kinda feel like joining this, not sure yet, but I think I could throw in a good idea or two

Response to Art Forum Game [Discussion] 2009-11-10 00:36:05

So far, the ideas for the steampunk level are looking pretty dang awesome.

But I'm really looking forward to the surreal level... and some wiggy crap.
The cell level looks like oodles of fun, too.

BBS Signature

Response to Art Forum Game [Discussion] 2009-11-10 01:10:35

sup....

this is Sci checking in to let you all know i'm following the whole thing, and phew things are heating up. things are looking great.

anyways i started working on the main theme tonight, and so far its sorta dreamy,(really echoy fast paced reverby pianoy type music) generally my style contains lots of strings. so i was wondering if anyone had any thoughts on how they imagined the music to sound. and also if they wanted something specific for a particular level.

pm me with idea's if any please, though i will follow this main thread too. i'll be posting a sample of the theme either tonight or tomorrow

Response to Art Forum Game [Discussion] 2009-11-10 08:07:29

At 11/9/09 01:22 AM, ornery wrote:
At 11/9/09 01:00 AM, MindChamber wrote: this part I understood.
Glad you understand stuff, cuz im still stumped, I dont understand any of that code jargon flargon.

if you guys need help with how to set up your sprites just hit me up

Response to Art Forum Game [Discussion] 2009-11-10 09:59:43

Even though a lot of people aren't part of the teams for obvious reasons. can we still post ideas and concepts into the shump threads.

I don't care if there not used or or anything, but just for fun and to potentially widen the ideas of the final concepts that the chosen artists produce.

Thanks, and the project looks superb so far, the ambition is outstanding and it looks like its really coming together.

BBS Signature

Response to Art Forum Game [Discussion] 2009-11-10 10:33:43

At 11/10/09 09:59 AM, Lemmiwinks91 wrote: Even though a lot of people aren't part of the teams for obvious reasons. can we still post ideas and concepts into the shump threads.

I don't care if there not used or or anything, but just for fun and to potentially widen the ideas of the final concepts that the chosen artists produce.

Thanks, and the project looks superb so far, the ambition is outstanding and it looks like its really coming together.

it probably would get messy if you posted them in the actual shmup threads, but unless BMK or BOM Objects I dont see any problems posting your ideas for a certain level here in the main thread.

Response to Art Forum Game [Discussion] 2009-11-10 11:15:14

At 11/10/09 10:33 AM, MindChamber wrote: it probably would get messy if you posted them in the actual shmup threads, but unless BMK or BOM Objects I dont see any problems posting your ideas for a certain level here in the main thread.

Well we've already had one guy posting in our thread [Cell]. He's been posting some images and ideas. I don't know how the rest of the members feel, but I think it's cluttering it up a bit :S

Response to Art Forum Game [Discussion] 2009-11-10 12:00:58

At 11/10/09 11:15 AM, big-jonny-13 wrote: Well we've already had one guy posting in our thread [Cell]. He's been posting some images and ideas. I don't know how the rest of the members feel, but I think it's cluttering it up a bit :S

I wouldn't invite anybody for posting sketches in the thread, but I def don't turn down free hand-outs.

where's your sketches jonny? :'(

BBS Signature

Response to Art Forum Game [Discussion] 2009-11-10 12:54:31

At 11/10/09 12:00 PM, TurkeyOnAStick wrote:
where's your sketches jonny? :'(

I've been busy with mid-terms :(
I've got papers to take care of now (stupid Biology essay course), but I'll try and work out some sketches in my breaks.

Response to Art Forum Game [Discussion] 2009-11-10 13:51:35

Oh shit. I forgot to sign up for this, i think. May i join? (Even though it's a bit late)

I ran. I ran until my muscles burned, and my veins pumped battery acid. Then I ran some more.

BBS Signature

Response to Art Forum Game [Discussion] 2009-11-10 15:00:44

At 11/10/09 10:33 AM, MindChamber wrote: it probably would get messy if you posted them in the actual shmup threads, but unless BMK or BOM Objects I dont see any problems posting your ideas for a certain level here in the main thread.

We've had some non-team people post ideas in our thread and I don't mind that too much and I don't find it too cluttering. I think the rest of the team is more or less okay with that. I definitely want anybody on the art forum who has an idea for the Surreal level to get in touch with us as I take all suggestions seriously and appreciate the extra help.

Art and concept sketches, if anybody wants to send them my way, should be emailed directly to me at johnnycancer@live.com. Additionally, anybody who has ideas for the Surreal level can always contact me at that email address or via PM on Newgrounds.

BBS Signature

Response to Art Forum Game [Discussion] 2009-11-10 19:41:35

At 11/10/09 10:33 AM, MindChamber wrote:
At 11/10/09 09:59 AM, Lemmiwinks91 wrote:
it probably would get messy if you posted them in the actual shmup threads, but unless BMK or BOM Objects I dont see any problems posting your ideas for a certain level here in the main thread.

Yeh thats fair enough, i can just draw them if i feel like it and submit them to the art portal for myself anyway, lol.

@johnnycancer
I had a few ideas for the surreal so i'll draw some concepts up tommorow and send you some if you like.

BBS Signature

Response to Art Forum Game [Discussion] 2009-11-10 19:56:19

At 11/10/09 07:41 PM, Lemmiwinks91 wrote: @johnnycancer
I had a few ideas for the surreal so i'll draw some concepts up tommorow and send you some if you like.

Great! Send 'em over to my email whenever you get a chance.

BBS Signature

Response to Art Forum Game [Discussion] 2009-11-11 23:15:30

This looks like it's turning out well.... Ill definitely play it when it comes out. I hope there are secret bosses. My favorite extras for games.

Response to Art Forum Game [Discussion] 2009-11-12 01:21:11

whats up everyone i uploaded a 1rst run of a possible main theme song to the art portal game. let me know if i am way off on style here or is this right on track with what you all imagine the music for the into sounding like

PLEASE READ THE COMMENTS ON THE SONG!!!

-Sci

Response to Art Forum Game [Discussion] 2009-11-12 01:22:40

Response to Art Forum Game [Discussion] 2009-11-12 11:39:42

At 11/12/09 01:22 AM, Sci-Fi wrote: http://www.newgrounds.com/audio/listen/2 87544
forgot the link

its all in my review... if you want anymore or specific advice or anything send me a pm

BBS Signature

Response to Art Forum Game [Discussion] 2009-11-13 22:39:17

Hopeku and i have worked out that we will do 6 songs each.
-1 for each level, meaning 3 each
-and 1 for each main boss fight, another 3
-plus with my opening/main theme that makes 1 more
-and maybe if Hopeku wants to do an ending theme i dunno

ALSO i updated the main theme song. PLEASE CHECK IT OUT!!!
i need the feedback

Response to Art Forum Game [Discussion] 2009-11-14 17:17:08

At 11/13/09 10:39 PM, Sci-Fi wrote: Hopeku and i have worked out that we will do 6 songs each.
-1 for each level, meaning 3 each
-and 1 for each main boss fight, another 3
-plus with my opening/main theme that makes 1 more
-and maybe if Hopeku wants to do an ending theme i dunno

ALSO i updated the main theme song. PLEASE CHECK IT OUT!!!
i need the feedback
http://www.newgrounds.com/audio/listen/2 87544

Awesome, go team! =D

You're theme is really great, but I'm not sure if the beginning of it feels "dreamy" to me, I think that at about 0:35 is when it really works. Keep up the great work, it's sounding awesome so far. I can't wait to hear what other music you guys can come up with.

BBS Signature

Response to Art Forum Game [Discussion] 2009-11-22 15:25:35

How is everyoness progress coming?

BBS Signature

Response to Art Forum Game [Discussion] 2009-11-22 17:07:46

At 11/22/09 03:25 PM, BlackmarketKraig wrote: How is everyoness progress coming?

Well... I`ll speak for team Newgrounds/Flashportal here then?
We`re not really doing that great... The biggest problem I think, would be that only half of our team members has shown any activity at all... (we have been able to contact all of them, but we havent gotten much further than that).
Of course this wouldnt really be a problem if we still had those four amazingly productive guys, but alas it`s not that way. I havent been as active as I would have wanted to, but I must say its a bit of a vicious spiral... Having low activity decreases motivation, thus decreasing activity further.
I still want to go through with this, and with the progress we have made im quite glad. I cant speak for the rest of the team here, but well, thats a progress report.

As long as I`m on the subject Id like to ask any motivated artists who are not yet in the SHMUP project to join the flash portal/newgrounds team... I know I haven`t made the best sales pitch, but I think we can make this a great part of the game, contact me if your interested.

BBS Signature