New Topic Respond to this Topic
Sephtis
Sephtis
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 08
Blank Slate
New art, advice/ critique anyone? 2009-10-18 00:56:25 Reply

Finished my newest piece earlier, just wondering if anyone would be able to give any constructive criticism, or advice in general, especially on the hair. I can't seem to get it right at all.

I'd prefere comments to be based on the picture and not the content so to speak, I know its a generic school girl, I was trying new things and this was the simplest way.

Thanks in advance ^^.

New art, advice/ critique anyone?

PBass
PBass
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 09
Animator
Response to New art, advice/ critique anyone? 2009-10-18 09:53:19 Reply

It's nice and clean lines and coloring, but the structure and detailing of the figure has some flaws. Anatomically, her head size is a mite too large and her arms are far too skinny. Her torso in general is very small and is about the same size as one of her thighs. Here's a good resource for human anatomy. Of course, since your character is stylized, you won't follow it to the T.

The hair is pretty nice and matches the feel you are going for, but Deviant Art has loads of hair tutorials to look at, including some specifically for anime style drawings.

Your clothing folds are the part the gets me the most, they're too sharp. Try doing some personal studies on folds. Drape a cloth or towel over a chair and draw the folds. Find some references of folds and how they fit to the body and draw those. Then practice simplifying the technique to match your style.

The composting also should be switched up. Avoid drawing your characters straight on, try drawing from 3/4 view, profile or even extreme angles.

Overall, it's a decent piece, but needs some work. Experiment, study, and practice practice practice!

"Animation is not the art of drawings that move, but the art of movements that are drawn." -Norman McLaren

Sephtis
Sephtis
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 08
Blank Slate
Response to New art, advice/ critique anyone? 2009-10-18 10:17:10 Reply

Thank you ^^, that was the purpose of this work, to use what I've gained and see whats next down the road ^^, thanks a lot for the help :).

PBass
PBass
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 09
Animator
Response to New art, advice/ critique anyone? 2009-10-18 10:20:43 Reply

No problem! I'm glad I can help and I look forward to your future pieces!

"Animation is not the art of drawings that move, but the art of movements that are drawn." -Norman McLaren