00:00
00:00
Newgrounds Background Image Theme

StemlyAnarchy just joined the crew!

We need you on the team, too.

Support Newgrounds and get tons of perks for just $2.99!

Create a Free Account and then..

Become a Supporter!

A thread with some drawings in it

1,701 Views | 26 Replies
New Topic Respond to this Topic

A thread with some drawings in it 2009-10-17 14:19:54

Hey, I thought it was time I started uploading some of my work. I've been meaning to do it, but I kept putting it off due to the fact that I'm lazy, forgetful, and I need a lot of improvement.
But anywho, here's my first piece. It's a drawing of SCP-173 about to claim a victim. It was originally intended to be just a plain old concept sheet for the 'Class D' characters for my Halloween animation, but I got carried away.

Tell me what you think!

"Animation is not the art of drawings that move, but the art of movements that are drawn." -Norman McLaren

Response to A thread with some drawings in it 2009-10-17 14:30:44

I like the fabric shading. The head proportions of the victim seem to be wrong. You might want to make a template before drawing the features. The back of the head looks to big. The legs look kind of short. Take a look at this http://www.portrait-artist.org/misc/prop ortion.html

If you are going for more cartoonish proportions then make sure they are balanced. The limb segments should be the same length, etc.

too kawaii to live, too sugoi to die

BBS Signature

Response to A thread with some drawings in it 2009-10-17 14:37:22

The location of the knees is the part that really bugs me in it. I put them much too high. The legs were the right length but the proportions of the segments are off. Also my left shoulder sticks out too far and the waist/pelvis area is far too short. I didn't do any measurements on him before drawing and sort of winged it because I wanted to work on details rather than structure. This guy is full of flaws, :P

"Animation is not the art of drawings that move, but the art of movements that are drawn." -Norman McLaren

Response to A thread with some drawings in it 2009-10-17 14:42:48

Well, the details look really good so you don't have to worry about that. Next time when you start a drawing you may want to do a template. If you are using photoshop you can put it on a layer below your lines.

too kawaii to live, too sugoi to die

BBS Signature

Response to A thread with some drawings in it 2009-10-17 16:18:59

At 10/17/09 02:42 PM, All-Hallows wrote: Well, the details look really good so you don't have to worry about that. Next time when you start a drawing you may want to do a template. If you are using photoshop you can put it on a layer below your lines.

Thanks! I felt that this was the first time I was able to do fabric folds decently. But I like the template idea. I think I'm going to make a couple of different base pose template prints on me at all time so I can get the proportions precise without having to measure everything out and risk making the same mistakes again. Thanks for the advice and compliments mate!

Response to A thread with some drawings in it 2009-10-20 05:49:05

Here's a piece I did back in January for the 'perfect pet' art contest.

Response to A thread with some drawings in it 2009-10-20 08:36:10

At 10/20/09 05:49 AM, PBass wrote: Here's a piece I did back in January for the 'perfect pet' art contest.

I remember this piece. I liked it then and I still like it now.

Response to A thread with some drawings in it 2009-10-20 11:45:45

At 10/20/09 05:49 AM, PBass wrote: Here's a piece I did back in January for the 'perfect pet' art contest.

hey, this is kinf od nice. I like the markings (tattoo?) on it's back
could do a drawing of just them and post it up?

Whiskey | The Old | The New | Portal | updated sig thanks to gumby

BBS Signature

Response to A thread with some drawings in it 2009-10-20 17:15:00

Thanks for the compliments guys! I suppose I could draw out those tattoos sometime. Here's a motion study I did a while ago

Response to A thread with some drawings in it 2009-10-20 17:16:46

Another one I did, the hand gets really inaccurate in a few frames

Response to A thread with some drawings in it 2009-10-20 17:20:17

At 10/20/09 05:15 PM, PBass wrote: Thanks for the compliments guys! I suppose I could draw out those tattoos sometime. Here's a motion study I did a while ago

I rather like this one, it's simple yet smoothly animated. I don't know what it is about gifs that make me just sit there and watch them go.

Response to A thread with some drawings in it 2009-10-20 17:27:41

At 10/20/09 05:20 PM, M-Vero wrote:
At 10/20/09 05:15 PM, PBass wrote: Thanks for the compliments guys! I suppose I could draw out those tattoos sometime. Here's a motion study I did a while ago
I rather like this one, it's simple yet smoothly animated. I don't know what it is about gifs that make me just sit there and watch them go.

Thanks M-Vero! I love gifs too, in fact, any animation. Something about making things move and live that were once still just captures and inspires me.

Here's a blocking for a little short bit that I'm doing for class. It's unfinished but I thought it'd be neat to show an in-process piece.

Response to A thread with some drawings in it 2009-12-11 01:31:04

Beginning a series of anatomical studies. I'm going to start by learning the bones and muscles and get them down so I can at least have a good working memory of them. I got tired of having to guess and put things in the wrong spot.

Skull study, part one-

Response to A thread with some drawings in it 2009-12-11 11:38:41

At 12/11/09 01:31 AM, PBass wrote: Skull study, part one-

Looks good so far.

Response to A thread with some drawings in it 2009-12-11 13:49:02

At 12/11/09 11:38 AM, big-jonny-13 wrote:
At 12/11/09 01:31 AM, PBass wrote: Skull study, part one-
Looks good so far.

Thanks! Oh and I forgot to mention that the top part of the image is my drawing, the middle part is from my anatomy book, and the bottom is a comparison of the two to see how far I missed the mark.

Response to A thread with some drawings in it 2009-12-11 13:53:11

At 12/11/09 01:49 PM, PBass wrote: Thanks! Oh and I forgot to mention that the top part of the image is my drawing, the middle part is from my anatomy book, and the bottom is a comparison of the two to see how far I missed the mark.

Yeah. The side profile was done really well.
As for the front profile, the jaw and top of the skull are a little wide, and the curve of the jawline is not round enough, but it's still very good and better than I could do.

Response to A thread with some drawings in it 2009-12-11 13:57:06

I think your animations are really nice. I love the concept of the fingers walking and kicking a ball. Pretty smoothly done for something so rough-draft-y.

I love your work with the skulls the best out of what you've posted so far. I'm gonna stick around and see what else you come up with :)

uuuuuuuugh

Response to A thread with some drawings in it 2009-12-11 19:56:25

Thanks guys! And congrats on the tablet PixelCake!

Here's a walk cycle I made quickly for class. Pretty much straight from the Animator's Survival Kit.

Response to A thread with some drawings in it 2009-12-11 22:02:38

At 12/11/09 07:56 PM, PBass wrote: Thanks guys! And congrats on the tablet PixelCake!

Here's a walk cycle I made quickly for class. Pretty much straight from the Animator's Survival Kit.

That's actually pretty painful.

I dislike how his back leg is completely black. He slightly vibrates when his foot touches the ground. Right before he puts his foot down it tilts in an unatural way. It isn't very smooth.

Response to A thread with some drawings in it 2009-12-11 22:12:47

I must admit, whilst the animation is certainly acceptable, you could benefit from the same reference in it as your anatomy study.

I strongly recommend you use as much reference from real-life in the pursuit of building your skill-level. Once you've developed such proficiency, you may then turn it towards more "cartoony" renditions.

Might I suggest that you re-work your walking animation, using life-action reference? I think you'll end up with a much better understanding of the motion, and a much more casual looking animation.

Whilst creativity is the bread and butter of the business of art, there is no reference which can replace real life.

Response to A thread with some drawings in it 2009-12-11 22:32:01

At 12/11/09 10:02 PM, IamWeird33 wrote: That's actually pretty painful.

Is it really that bad? Certainly one leg being black and a little vibration doesn't render it painful does it? And yes, the foot is intended to tilt out that way, it's commonly used in lots of cartoons. Art Babbitt's Goofy walk had the foot turning backwards and elbows breaking.

It was more a study of the mechanics of the up and downs and spacing than it was an attempt to be realistic. While study how things move in reality is important, most industry professionals that I've talked to have told me not to copy life, but rather learn from it and enhance it.

Thank you though for the crits guys, I'll keep what you said in mind.

Response to A thread with some drawings in it 2009-12-12 01:36:02

Second part of my skull studies. Made a lot of mistakes here, especially on the right side of the underside view. Next I'm going to do some quick skull gestures and sketches from different angles so that I have a better understanding of it.

Response to A thread with some drawings in it 2009-12-14 06:34:38

Rough blocking of an acting scene. Trying to portray a character going through multiple emotions and thoughts. Needs some work.

Response to A thread with some drawings in it 2009-12-14 09:22:54

i'm liking the animations. i to use the the animation bible that is the animators survival guide. i would suggest trying a couple of the more fluid walks in the book, that top one is a bit more clunky.

Response to A thread with some drawings in it 2009-12-14 23:30:23

At 12/14/09 09:22 AM, JustJoshy wrote: i'm liking the animations. i to use the the animation bible that is the animators survival guide. i would suggest trying a couple of the more fluid walks in the book, that top one is a bit more clunky.

Yeah, I'm working on an experimental cartoony run right now. The cycle above I was trying to get more of a feeling for the up and down movement, and I rushed through it. His knee vibrates in the down positions and his legs change thickness, which kinda makes it look clunky like that, among a few other things. I hope to have a second rough pass of that acting scene done sometime later tonight as well.

Response to A thread with some drawings in it 2009-12-15 01:24:45

Here's a run cycle I made where I tried lots of different things. Successive joint breaks in the arm, the hat and beard moving, eliminating the up position, the arms moving twice as fast as the legs, and the feet and legs moving outward and twisting as they go back and forth.

I originally planned this to work on singles, but it's much too choppy as I have so much motion going on in the arms. It should work with single inbetweens added, so I'll try and work those out tonight. I think the feet work rather nicely though. The beard, hat, and arms need work.

Response to A thread with some drawings in it 2009-12-15 01:30:26

Not bad. I like how you made the feet realistically touch the ground on the specific frames and the anticipation frames for the legs running. Your right arms, beard and hat still need some work. Id say the hat almost bounces perfect according to each step but maybe tweak it a bit to make it just right. The arms clearly gotta have more frames inbetween for us to follow them smoothly but im sure you'll get er down. As for the beard it fold to one side, maybe try making it fold to the left and right of the character for a more versatile approach. Pretty cool though :)