00:00
00:00
Newgrounds Background Image Theme

xrusteater0 just joined the crew!

We need you on the team, too.

Support Newgrounds and get tons of perks for just $2.99!

Create a Free Account and then..

Become a Supporter!

Isn't Technology Meant To...

697 Views | 9 Replies

Isn't Technology Meant To... 2009-10-14 10:20:15

Make things smaller the more advanced it is?

The reason why I ask this is recently, I got a new computer (which, by the way, kicks the fuck out of my old one. It feels so...Fresh...) and the tower unit is so big, I actually had to take apart the desk a bit and put some wood on the front and back of it so it would fit. Roughly, it's about 26" height and depth which, in comparrison to my 4 year old computer, is fucking huge.

This too will pass.

Memento mori

BBS Signature

Response to Isn't Technology Meant To... 2009-10-14 10:24:08

It's a complicated relationship. Only things which haven't advanced get smaller, whereas new inventions begin big and get smaller. Which is why I have an MP3 player which can play videos and has a 30GB hard drive but which also risks falling through the floor if I drop it. They probably make them smaller nowadays though.

Response to Isn't Technology Meant To... 2009-10-14 10:25:33

At 10/14/09 10:23 AM, citricsquid wrote: smaller != better. It depends on the parts really, you'll find your processor is getting smaller and more powerful but things like fans have to be big to work well. So smaller processor = bigger fans.

Honestly, I was very surprised when it came in just because I had never seen a computer so heavy and large in the flesh.

This too will pass.

Memento mori

BBS Signature

Response to Isn't Technology Meant To... 2009-10-14 10:29:21

I thought that was just the Jap way of doing things. You know have music systems built that sit just in the ear or have like tvs made like tissue paper. Whatever small shit they think of.

[I've been wandering round but I still come back to you]

BBS Signature

Response to Isn't Technology Meant To... 2009-10-14 10:29:58

And to think, back during WWII, a computer would fill an entire room and couldn't do half of the stuff modern computers do.

The work, which becomes a new genre itself, will be called...

BBS Signature

Response to Isn't Technology Meant To... 2009-10-14 10:32:20

At 10/14/09 10:29 AM, EgoistXIV wrote: Full tower cases are like Humvees. Huge and spacious but clumsy and difficult to manage. And everyone knows you only buy them because you have a small penis.

Honestly, I didn't even know the specifications of how heavy or large it was (joys of ordering online) and just concentrated on the specification. Surfice to say, this probably can handle stuff like Crysis on high, it's just very big and heavy.

This too will pass.

Memento mori

BBS Signature

Response to Isn't Technology Meant To... 2009-10-14 10:34:04

Think about power in the same amount of space. It increases with each new generation. Technically it doubles every 18 months due to Moore's law. So if you think of small devices such as the iPhone, it has the same power computers had 10 years ago. But now it's just more efficient and smaller.

Response to Isn't Technology Meant To... 2009-10-14 10:38:54

Well, technology does both. Some stuff needs to get bigger like structures such as bridges and buildings while electronics tend to get smaller.

Bananular.

BBS Signature

Response to Isn't Technology Meant To... 2009-10-14 10:50:45

Things can't keep getting smaller forever, if they keep shrinking things it won't be long before you accidently swallow your phone with a handful of tictacs.

Response to Isn't Technology Meant To... 2009-10-14 11:06:02

Cases aren't getting any bigger. Just because you got a good one (I'm assuming) doesn't mean all cases are as big.

Besides, metal case =/= technology