Be a Supporter!

Longer school days

  • 1,740 Views
  • 82 Replies
New Topic Respond to this Topic
ThoseSneakyFrench
ThoseSneakyFrench
  • Member since: Apr. 19, 2008
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Member
Level 21
Blank Slate
Response to Longer school days Oct. 11th, 2009 @ 07:58 PM Reply

At 10/11/09 07:41 PM, tweekee wrote: Though that is true, a few extra hours mgiht help. Although I saw the kids at my schools, and so many don't give a shit. They just think they'll grow up and get discovered and join the NFL or NBA or something else. The chance of that happening isn't very good. Some people jsut can't be taught.

The dedicated student is going to take academics outside of school regardless. For example, I'm currently looking to take a computer engineering course at a local college for some credits. With a 10 hour school day, even having time for productive things like that becomes hard, and forget about free time of any sort when you add in homework. All colleges are looking at extracurricular activities just as much as academics, so all things considered, it just makes things harder for the people who are actually trying.

I do think that some classes aren't needed, such as art class or music. That would probably help them cut spending. I wanted to be a mathmatician(spelling?), but I still had to take art class. Some classes should be optional, but things like science, math, reading, and writing are all important, even if a job you want when you get older doesn't really involve it.

Electives are nice, but I agree with you they're not absolutely needed. I have two periods in my schedule for electives, and after I take my language regents, I'll have 3. If they offered a 7 hour school day with just core classes, and then electives as afterschool events, I could see that working as a suitable comprimise.

Slingshot
Slingshot
  • Member since: Jul. 10, 2009
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Member
Level 05
Blank Slate
Response to Longer school days Oct. 11th, 2009 @ 08:00 PM Reply

At 10/11/09 07:43 PM, Chymeraxe wrote:
At 10/11/09 07:41 PM, tweekee wrote: I do think that some classes aren't needed, such as art class or music. That would probably help them cut spending. I wanted to be a mathmatician(spelling?), but I still had to take art class.
Art and Music aren't needed?

Go fuck yourself

No they aren't needed. When it comes to practicality they're really more of a burden on our economy. We could be using that time for more important classes.


Cockz and whatnot

Penrodeo
Penrodeo
  • Member since: Jul. 30, 2006
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Member
Level 09
Melancholy
Response to Longer school days Oct. 11th, 2009 @ 08:01 PM Reply

At 10/11/09 08:00 PM, slingshot14 wrote:
Art and Music aren't needed?

Go fuck yourself
No they aren't needed. When it comes to practicality they're really more of a burden on our economy. We could be using that time for more important classes.

Reinforcing and inspiring individuals creativity when they're still young and ready to learn is such a burden that we should get rid of it.

Ok, I think I'm following your logic.


BBS Signature
tweekee
tweekee
  • Member since: Jan. 15, 2007
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Member
Level 20
Melancholy
Response to Longer school days Oct. 11th, 2009 @ 08:06 PM Reply

At 10/11/09 07:43 PM, Chymeraxe wrote:
At 10/11/09 07:41 PM, tweekee wrote: I do think that some classes aren't needed, such as art class or music. That would probably help them cut spending. I wanted to be a mathmatician(spelling?), but I still had to take art class.
Art and Music aren't needed?

Go fuck yourself.

They aren't. If you want to become a biologist, do you need music? No. I can kind of understand art, but most jobs don't need you to be an artist. They just need you to have basic drawing skills. Of course art can help with other jobs, but it shouldn't be provided by the school.

Oh, and Go fuck yourself.

Longer school days


Pro:What! This is madness!! Noob:madness? No,THIS IS NOOBIA!!*pwned*
its about funny cats.
For help, press 1. To learn why I'm standing in your house with a Shotgun, press 2.

BBS Signature
Deadly-Shadow
Deadly-Shadow
  • Member since: Jun. 8, 2004
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Member
Level 41
Audiophile
Response to Longer school days Oct. 11th, 2009 @ 08:06 PM Reply

This makes me happy that I'm Canadian. An average day of school is long enough as it is, we don't need an extra hour thrown in. A better idea would to have school start and end at a later time, that way everyone wont be tired when they're in school. I always feel tired in school since I have to get up at 6:00 AM every day.


BBS Signature
Slingshot
Slingshot
  • Member since: Jul. 10, 2009
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Member
Level 05
Blank Slate
Response to Longer school days Oct. 11th, 2009 @ 08:09 PM Reply

At 10/11/09 08:01 PM, Chymeraxe wrote:
At 10/11/09 08:00 PM, slingshot14 wrote:
Art and Music aren't needed?

Go fuck yourself
No they aren't needed. When it comes to practicality they're really more of a burden on our economy. We could be using that time for more important classes.
Reinforcing and inspiring individuals creativity when they're still young and ready to learn is such a burden that we should get rid of it.

Ok, I think I'm following your logic.

Would you rather have more creative people in this world or dumber people? If they want that then they should pay for it. It's all for the greater good.


Cockz and whatnot

IrBORED
IrBORED
  • Member since: Sep. 23, 2009
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Member
Level 09
Blank Slate
Response to Longer school days Oct. 11th, 2009 @ 08:15 PM Reply

When I wake up 6:40 A.M.
eat breakfast
change clothes
watch T.V.

When I leave 7:45 A.M.
When I get to school 8:05 A.M.
When regular classes start 8:30 A.M.
Regular classes 7 hours
Rock club 1-2 hours
Time spent with friends 2-3 hours

when I get home 7:00-8:00
+ 2 hours
new time to when I get home 9:00-10:00

UNACCEPTABLE

Besides I r a-b student

fuzzum111
fuzzum111
  • Member since: Aug. 18, 2007
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Member
Level 39
Blank Slate
Response to Longer school days Oct. 11th, 2009 @ 08:15 PM Reply

This is my last year in highschool, so by the time this bill passes I won't give a fuck because it's people who are 1year or more younger than me who get sticks up their asses not me :D


My Youtube channel
http://www.youtube.com/user/fuzzum1 11
If you get a ban, it was totally worth it. 10/10, I love you. -Skaren

BBS Signature
Eyeguy
Eyeguy
  • Member since: Jul. 28, 2007
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Member
Level 10
Blank Slate
Response to Longer school days Oct. 11th, 2009 @ 08:18 PM Reply

Maybe, if it meant less busywork as an excuse for homework. Even then, more hours wont fix bad teachers/a bad curriculum.


BBS Signature
robotking98
robotking98
  • Member since: Nov. 8, 2008
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Member
Level 17
Gamer
Response to Longer school days Oct. 11th, 2009 @ 08:20 PM Reply

Two words to this idea, and then an explanation after.

Fuck. No.

Mainly because I'd be staying at school from 7 in the morning to almost 6 at night, like I said. Fuck. No. I eat dinner at 6 at night, I don't go to school at 6 at night, any addition to the school hours and a reduction of summer vacation is just gonna make me not even give a damn anymore, I would go to school but I wouldn't do anything, I've got more important things to be doing at 6 a clock at night then going to school and then doing homework until 9, but who I would feel really bad for is the middle schoolers, they'd be getting home at almost 8 at night where I live. In short, if this happens I'd be glad if he got shot, and honestly I wouldn't be surprised that if this does happen that a bunch of students drop out or go to home-schooling as a last resort because that is fucking ridiculous, yea, way to educate kids by making everyone 16 and over drop out, nice going.


Seriously, who even reads these things anymore?

BBS Signature
PenguinKommando
PenguinKommando
  • Member since: Jul. 29, 2003
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Member
Level 12
Blank Slate
Response to Longer school days Oct. 11th, 2009 @ 08:23 PM Reply

At 10/11/09 07:11 PM, slingshot14 wrote: But to do that we'd have to completely change what kids think of school.

Absolutely right, you'd have to change society in a major way, and that's what's so hard about it.


BBS Signature
TAUfanatic
TAUfanatic
  • Member since: Oct. 17, 2007
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Member
Level 18
Gamer
Response to Longer school days Oct. 11th, 2009 @ 08:30 PM Reply

well.......I could understand one additional hour of school,but then again I don't want to either just because I'm lazy,but I'm sure all the sports people and the like would have something to say

but the shortening of summer vacation NOOOOOOOOOOOO that I will totally disagree with


thanks for the sig Phobotech

BBS Signature
lolman99
lolman99
  • Member since: Jun. 7, 2009
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Member
Level 11
Blank Slate
Response to Longer school days Oct. 11th, 2009 @ 08:31 PM Reply

We need to have fun. If there was no fun, no Newgrounds.


I'm so happy right now. I am so random. lololololoolololololololol sigh, I like potatos. COCK JOKE SPIMRGH. hehe potatos.... yeah

BBS Signature
Slingshot
Slingshot
  • Member since: Jul. 10, 2009
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Member
Level 05
Blank Slate
Response to Longer school days Oct. 11th, 2009 @ 08:36 PM Reply

At 10/11/09 08:31 PM, lolman99 wrote: We need to have fun. If there was no fun, no Newgrounds.

Which brings up the question, should we delete Newgrounds in order to better our economy? If we spent half the time we spend on Newgrounds by doing work then we could hopefully help to stabilize our economy and possibly improve our own lives to a great extent.


Cockz and whatnot

powerfuldude
powerfuldude
  • Member since: Jun. 21, 2007
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Member
Level 23
Blank Slate
Response to Longer school days Oct. 11th, 2009 @ 08:43 PM Reply

If he did that, I suspect there would be a rise in school shootings.


...

csdthegreat
csdthegreat
  • Member since: Jan. 17, 2008
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Member
Level 15
Blank Slate
Response to Longer school days Oct. 11th, 2009 @ 08:43 PM Reply

School days should only be extended that much if they drop homework, drop the number of school days by a third, and fix the system.

Extra time spent in school won't help kids learn more if they don't give a squirrel's bloody half-wasp-eaten corpse about the material. None of the boring stuff they taught stuck past a test because I didn't care until a couple years later or earlier. In 6th grade science, I wanted to learn about space and physics. I learned about rocks and sediment. 7th grade, I actually started getting interested in rocks. I had to learn about life. 8th grade, and now life seems interesting... but I have to learn about space and physics, which I lost interest in the year before. Making things worse, as soon as I started to grasp a concept, I was forced to drop it and move on to the next one.

Why aren't we taught more about just getting through life in school, anyway? Learning about rocks should be something to do in your spare time. I should learn to cook or learn how to handle emergencies in school...

You know, I think I'll link to this old post of mine. (It's the wall of text, of course.) It's relevant. Seriously, could anyone stand three more hours of that?! Plus, besides those "No touching anyone ever, be on time or else, nothing offensive at all, etc." rules, the "No bathroom during class" rule would be painful. They always tell you to go at lunch, and you do, but you also drink and eat at lunch, and an hour or so later you have to go again. It's amazing how a life science teacher can't understand peristalsis. The three hours better include an extra lunch break.

Ergh, mind numbed. Can't type.


Am I posting?! I didn't know I did that...

PenguinKommando
PenguinKommando
  • Member since: Jul. 29, 2003
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Member
Level 12
Blank Slate
Response to Longer school days Oct. 11th, 2009 @ 09:01 PM Reply

At 10/11/09 08:00 PM, slingshot14 wrote: No they aren't needed. When it comes to practicality they're really more of a burden on our economy. We could be using that time for more important classes.

What are these "more important classes"?


BBS Signature
Slingshot
Slingshot
  • Member since: Jul. 10, 2009
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Member
Level 05
Blank Slate
Response to Longer school days Oct. 11th, 2009 @ 09:04 PM Reply

At 10/11/09 08:43 PM, csdthegreat wrote: School days should only be extended that much if they drop homework, drop the number of school days by a third, and fix the system.

If they drop homework they'd have to increase classwork in order to keep up with the extent at which the students are learning. Dropping the number of school days would make the act of making school longer completely pointless and would backfire becuase then they'd be speninding even fewer hours in school.

Why aren't we taught more about just getting through life in school, anyway? Learning about rocks should be something to do in your spare time. I should learn to cook or learn how to handle emergencies in school...

True, I can honestly say I will never need to know 7x - 30x=20, or the properties of sulfur. They should focus on teaching us things that will be important for us to know when we go out into society.


Cockz and whatnot

armorwarrior
armorwarrior
  • Member since: Aug. 22, 2008
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Member
Level 09
Blank Slate
Response to Longer school days Oct. 11th, 2009 @ 09:04 PM Reply

At 10/11/09 08:09 PM, slingshot14 wrote: Would you rather have more creative people in this world or dumber people? If they want that then they should pay for it. It's all for the greater good.

Would I rather have creative people or stupid people? Well creative of course, stupid people do nothing!


Sig

Slingshot
Slingshot
  • Member since: Jul. 10, 2009
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Member
Level 05
Blank Slate
Response to Longer school days Oct. 11th, 2009 @ 09:07 PM Reply

At 10/11/09 09:04 PM, armorwarrior wrote:
At 10/11/09 08:09 PM, slingshot14 wrote: Would you rather have more creative people in this world or dumber people? If they want that then they should pay for it. It's all for the greater good.
Would I rather have creative people or stupid people? Well creative of course, stupid people do nothing!

Sorry about that. Would you rather have more creative people or smarter(more productive) people? Please give me a reason so I don't have to waste a post asking "Why?"


Cockz and whatnot

JabberWocky
JabberWocky
  • Member since: Apr. 21, 2008
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Member
Level 12
Artist
Response to Longer school days Oct. 11th, 2009 @ 09:08 PM Reply

At 10/11/09 07:02 PM, HighWayStar365 wrote: I wouldn't mind it if they cut the number of school days along with that.

Yeah, by about...90 days.


Hi, I'm an artist. Call me Wocky.
My deviantArt | My Tumblr | My Pixiv

PenguinKommando
PenguinKommando
  • Member since: Jul. 29, 2003
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Member
Level 12
Blank Slate
Response to Longer school days Oct. 11th, 2009 @ 09:15 PM Reply

At 10/11/09 09:07 PM, slingshot14 wrote: Sorry about that. Would you rather have more creative people or smarter(more productive) people? Please give me a reason so I don't have to waste a post asking "Why?"

I would rather have 6 billion people who are "smarter" but lack the creative spark to use their knowledge in any applicable way. I love mindless zombies who only see in one black and white dimension.
Galileo, who the fuck was that guy, him and his creative way of thinking need to get the fuck out, the Geocentric way of thinking was fact at the time, and his creative bullshit Heliocentric model is complete garbage, wouldn't you agree, daddy?


BBS Signature
Slingshot
Slingshot
  • Member since: Jul. 10, 2009
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Member
Level 05
Blank Slate
Response to Longer school days Oct. 11th, 2009 @ 09:19 PM Reply

At 10/11/09 09:15 PM, PenguinKommando wrote:
I would rather have 6 billion people who are "smarter" but lack the creative spark to use their knowledge in any applicable way. I love mindless zombies who only see in one black and white dimension.

Yes, you do. There's no point in being smart if you're going to use it on drawing fairies and writing lyrics to songs. If you stay practical then you're actually bettering the world by making sure everybody is contributing to society for its betterment, not its enjoyment. Sometimes it's a good thing to be a toy soldier.


Cockz and whatnot

physicsman09
physicsman09
  • Member since: May. 28, 2007
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Member
Level 08
Blank Slate
Response to Longer school days Oct. 11th, 2009 @ 09:21 PM Reply

I fully support the President on this matter.

The USA is way too far behind in terms of education, it's time to set ourselves to a higher standard.


"Physicsman09: The Gordon Freeman of Newgrounds"
-The-Hitman

BBS Signature
Winned
Winned
  • Member since: Apr. 30, 2007
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Member
Level 25
Blank Slate
Response to Longer school days Oct. 11th, 2009 @ 09:21 PM Reply

At 10/11/09 09:07 PM, slingshot14 wrote:
At 10/11/09 09:04 PM, armorwarrior wrote:
At 10/11/09 08:09 PM, slingshot14 wrote: Would you rather have more creative people in this world or dumber people? If they want that then they should pay for it. It's all for the greater good.
Would I rather have creative people or stupid people? Well creative of course, stupid people do nothing!
Sorry about that. Would you rather have more creative people or smarter(more productive) people? Please give me a reason so I don't have to waste a post asking "Why?"

I'll give you a reason for him.

Art classes, whether it be Art, Music, Dance, or anything else, help nurture the imagination.

Everybody is born with an imagination, which is what truly sets us apart from animals. As a child, with out powerful imaginations we come up with amazing ideas, but without the resources to fulfill them, they are lost as we age.

But the arts help people maintain the power of their imagination. Thomas Edison was an inventor, a writer, and a poet. He was well rounded in the arts. Thomas Edison was the writer of the Declaration of Independence. But before he put ink to paper, where did the document exist?

In his imagination.

Every human made object once existed in a person's imagination. Without the arts, the manufacturing of ideas would greatly be diminished.

Personally, I think the opposite that you do. I believe that subjects like Math, History, and Science, are ruining our children. I still believe they should be offered, but they should just be offered, like every other course should be.

If you have the the time, or if anybody does, I highly recommend watching this video, which may make some of my ideas seem more clear.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iG9CE55wb tY&feature=player_profilepage


I need Monet, to buy DeGas to make my Van Gogh. I tried to Hale a cab but my Whistler didn't Turner 'round.

BBS Signature
bobtheplaya
bobtheplaya
  • Member since: Apr. 8, 2009
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Member
Level 13
Blank Slate
Response to Longer school days Oct. 11th, 2009 @ 09:23 PM Reply

school sucks, ur a nerd, nuff' said


What's a sig?

armorwarrior
armorwarrior
  • Member since: Aug. 22, 2008
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Member
Level 09
Blank Slate
Response to Longer school days Oct. 11th, 2009 @ 09:26 PM Reply

At 10/11/09 09:21 PM, Winned wrote: Stuff for me

What he said, if you don't have any creativity, than how are you going to do well aside from working in an office, or a factory? If you're going to further America by coming up with a cure for cancer, you're not going to do it by just knowing what everyone else has done. And if you want to invent a new way to use our natural resources as energy, are you going to do that without creativity? I don't think so.


Sig

PenguinKommando
PenguinKommando
  • Member since: Jul. 29, 2003
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Member
Level 12
Blank Slate
Response to Longer school days Oct. 11th, 2009 @ 09:45 PM Reply

At 10/11/09 09:19 PM, slingshot14 wrote:
At 10/11/09 09:15 PM, PenguinKommando wrote:
I would rather have 6 billion people who are "smarter" but lack the creative spark to use their knowledge in any applicable way. I love mindless zombies who only see in one black and white dimension.
Yes, you do. There's no point in being smart if you're going to use it on drawing fairies and writing lyrics to songs. If you stay practical then you're actually bettering the world by making sure everybody is contributing to society for its betterment, not its enjoyment. Sometimes it's a good thing to be a toy soldier

I'm pretty much not going to agree with you ever, no matter how much I bend, because you arent ever going to come out of your cemented ideology. I'll say that creative thinking is required to keep the world from becoming like the book "1984", and creative thinking is necessary for advancements in science and society.
I would rather die than live in your world. I think if Arts and Music and all those creative things you take for granted really were useless, then they would already have ceased existence.


BBS Signature
Slingshot
Slingshot
  • Member since: Jul. 10, 2009
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Member
Level 05
Blank Slate
Response to Longer school days Oct. 11th, 2009 @ 09:54 PM Reply

At 10/11/09 09:45 PM, PenguinKommando wrote:
At 10/11/09 09:19 PM, slingshot14 wrote:
At 10/11/09 09:15 PM, PenguinKommando wrote:
I would rather have 6 billion people who are "smarter" but lack the creative spark to use their knowledge in any applicable way. I love mindless zombies who only see in one black and white dimension.
Yes, you do. There's no point in being smart if you're going to use it on drawing fairies and writing lyrics to songs. If you stay practical then you're actually bettering the world by making sure everybody is contributing to society for its betterment, not its enjoyment. Sometimes it's a good thing to be a toy soldier
I'm pretty much not going to agree with you ever, no matter how much I bend, because you arent ever going to come out of your cemented ideology. I'll say that creative thinking is required to keep the world from becoming like the book "1984", and creative thinking is necessary for advancements in science and society.
I would rather die than live in your world. I think if Arts and Music and all those creative things you take for granted really were useless, then they would already have ceased existence.

My ideology isn't cemented. I'm just making arguments for this side of the debate. I actually think that molding children's imaginations is the only way to truly better this country and make it advance. If we just went on about doing everything we do now then without any imagination we'd be stuck in the 21st century. Heck the only way I could have possibly made up an argument like that for a position I didn't believe in was through imagination.


Cockz and whatnot

ThoseSneakyFrench
ThoseSneakyFrench
  • Member since: Apr. 19, 2008
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Member
Level 21
Blank Slate
Response to Longer school days Oct. 11th, 2009 @ 10:07 PM Reply

All the government sees is state test scores. Anyone who's taken something along the lines of a Regents or DBQ state test knows how easy they are. The reason test scores are so low is because, again, a lot of kids don't care. The key is to incite interest and make the kids want to do better. Initiatives like Obama's speech to school kids (regardless of motives) are the kind of steps the government and school administration need to take to get kids passing again.