runpoochrun
runpoochrun
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 04
Blank Slate
Newgrounds Audio Bias 2009-10-07 01:24:28 Reply

Dear Newgrounds,

I'm sure anyone who has been in the audio portal has realized that there is a strong bias in favor of generic techno and trance tracks. The vast majority of tracks fit this category. Anything outside of this category typically gets rated down much more often. Go to the industrial section, for instance, and you'll see that the average scores of the top-rated songs there (discounting the new ones which are always rated 5.0 by their indulgent author and have yet to be zero-bombed) are lower than in the "techno", "trance", etc. sections. You hardly see any idm, dnb, emb, etc. I'm guessing the reason for this is that flash authors, for whatever reason, usually just seek the generic techno/trance song for their flashes. Demand for these categories is high, demand for the rest is low, so the rest of the categories just kind of disappear. I think we need to encourage a bit more variation here, both to the flash authors and to the audio authors. Too many god damn generic techno/trance shit. I'm open to suggestions. Thanks.

Yours truly,
RPR

Mrmilkcarton
Mrmilkcarton
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 11
Blank Slate
Response to Newgrounds Audio Bias 2009-10-07 02:00:16 Reply

Not the first time anyway has noticed. People are attracted to anything that reminds them of basshunter, raver's fantasy, kaskade, etc. Most users use FL, FL is good at electronic music. More users make Techno/Trance so more of it will be on the frontpage because more of it is BETTER. I'm not saying a genre is better then the other just, more people are making trance so more of it will tend to be better then the FL FPC drum set used in a random DnB song. Granted there are a ton of good DnB artists and other genres they do get washed over by the cheese trance.

Don't let the top of the week tell you what is good though. Alot of it is chance and having the right amount of friends. There are many quality users that are good at different genres, you just have to find them. The front page of newgrounds is usually the best way to find artists that are good.

architecture
architecture
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 02
Blank Slate
Response to Newgrounds Audio Bias 2009-10-09 01:11:00 Reply

I make Industrial music, as well as other various genres of electronic music.

but yea, The Techno/Trance crap on here is SUPER generic. Give me a good Speedy J track anyday over most of the boring clean sounding crap here.

Back-From-Purgatory
Back-From-Purgatory
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 33
Musician
Response to Newgrounds Audio Bias 2009-10-09 01:24:53 Reply

Thank you for bringing this injustice to my attention, in the 7 years I have browsed this site I had never noticed!

No, really! I really didn't notice that generic trance and techno had been the most popular crap... errr... music on the site in all those years!

It's a damned conspiracy! Thank you for enlightening us all!

Audio/BBS Mod
News: Bye bye Skype - Music: Tonight Will Be The Night- Art: Kira
\/\/\/ Click the sig for fun times! \/\/\/

BBS Signature
Mid-Night
Mid-Night
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 15
Blank Slate
Response to Newgrounds Audio Bias 2009-10-09 01:25:24 Reply

I don't make trance.

oh baby

www.myspace.com/aeliasmn for must up to date tracks. :)

BBS Signature