Be a Supporter!
denverbroncos59
denverbroncos59
  • Member since: Sep. 28, 2008
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Member
Level 19
Musician
Movie Ads Oct. 1st, 2009 @ 12:09 PM Reply

Recently I've noticed that when I click on a flash to view, there is an ad that automatically plays halfway down the page. Anyway to turn these off? They always have sound on and it messes with the way the flash movies load, etc etc. I mute it every time and it always goes right back up within the next flash I view. I find it very annoying to have to deal with 3 ads per flash. And some of the ads on the front page take me to a completely different site so I have to go on this site by typing the url to my NG page just to do stuff on here. Am I the only one thinking the advertising is being taken a bit too far? I mean 3 ads per click? It's ridiculous IMO

gumOnShoe
gumOnShoe
  • Member since: May. 29, 2004
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Member
Level 15
Blank Slate
Response to Movie Ads Oct. 1st, 2009 @ 12:11 PM Reply

Having ads is a good thing because it keeps the site up and running. If you have an issue with any particular ad ruining your viewing experience by automatically playing music, I'm sure the administration would want to do something about it if they could... do you know what the ad was for and can you confirm you don't have adware on your computer?


Newgrounds Anthology? 20,000 Word Max. [Submit]

Music? Click Sig:

BBS Signature
denverbroncos59
denverbroncos59
  • Member since: Sep. 28, 2008
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Member
Level 19
Musician
Response to Movie Ads Oct. 1st, 2009 @ 12:22 PM Reply

At 10/1/09 12:11 PM, gumOnShoe wrote: Having ads is a good thing because it keeps the site up and running. If you have an issue with any particular ad ruining your viewing experience by automatically playing music, I'm sure the administration would want to do something about it if they could... do you know what the ad was for and can you confirm you don't have adware on your computer?

I don't mind the ads in general because I realize it keeps the site running by paying and hosting it. It's always the arm and hammer one that pops up. Every flash I view has the same arm and hammer ad right below the place where you rate the flash. If it was muted or something I wouldn't mind but the beginning of the flashes without a play button are never heard due to the ad.

liljim
liljim
  • Member since: Dec. 16, 1999
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Staff
Level 28
Blank Slate
Response to Movie Ads Oct. 1st, 2009 @ 12:50 PM Reply

We are attempting to rectify this issue. Please read my comments here:

http://www.newgrounds.com/bbs/topic/1108 330/2

denverbroncos59
denverbroncos59
  • Member since: Sep. 28, 2008
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Member
Level 19
Musician
Response to Movie Ads Oct. 1st, 2009 @ 01:01 PM Reply

Oh I didn't see that thread. I looked down the general forum page and didn't see any topics relating to it so I figured it wasn't addressed yet. I apologize for wasting thread space. You can close/delete this if you want haha. Thanks for the help

Ericho
Ericho
  • Member since: Sep. 21, 2008
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Member
Level 43
Movie Buff
Response to Movie Ads Oct. 1st, 2009 @ 01:22 PM Reply

The reason the ads are there is to increase revenue from what we're getting. You'll have probably noticed there's tons of other advertisements of the like around here that play before that flash/game loads. You just have to wait a few seconds and click, "Skip this ad".


You know the world's gone crazy when the best rapper's a white guy and the best golfer's a black guy - Chris Rock

liljim
liljim
  • Member since: Dec. 16, 1999
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Staff
Level 28
Blank Slate
Response to Movie Ads Oct. 1st, 2009 @ 01:27 PM Reply

At 10/1/09 01:01 PM, denverbroncos59 wrote: Oh I didn't see that thread. I looked down the general forum page and didn't see any topics relating to it so I figured it wasn't addressed yet. I apologize for wasting thread space. You can close/delete this if you want haha. Thanks for the help

You have absolutely no reason to apologise, that thread was a day or two old and would have disappeared into the abyss of the general forum by now. I just wanted to point out that this issue has been raised and that we're aware of it. :)

citricsquid
citricsquid
  • Member since: Jun. 25, 2005
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Member
Level 23
Blank Slate
Response to Movie Ads Oct. 1st, 2009 @ 01:30 PM Reply

At 10/1/09 01:22 PM, Ericho wrote: The reason the ads are there is to increase revenue from what we're getting. You'll have probably noticed there's tons of other advertisements of the like around here that play before that flash/game loads. You just have to wait a few seconds and click, "Skip this ad".

The user isn't complaining about that, while you're right that the adverts are here to pay for Newgrounds, the specific adverts mentioned in the topic are "problem" adverts that shouldn't be there, adverts shouldn't be giving out sound without any user intervention and Tom has said he doesn't like these, they'll be gone soon enough :)

At 10/1/09 01:27 PM, liljim wrote: You have absolutely no reason to apologise, that thread was a day or two old and would have disappeared into the abyss of the general forum by now.

pfft, this is general, I'm sure if you hadn't replied and scared off all the twats he'd be getting shouted at right now.

iamgrimreaper
iamgrimreaper
  • Member since: Aug. 22, 2007
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Member
Level 07
Programmer
Response to Movie Ads Oct. 1st, 2009 @ 01:32 PM Reply

And, there's a possibility that Tom Fulp doesn't know about these. Because... Well, he took a vacation.


BBS Signature
Ericho
Ericho
  • Member since: Sep. 21, 2008
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Member
Level 43
Movie Buff
Response to Movie Ads Oct. 2nd, 2009 @ 12:16 PM Reply

At 10/1/09 01:30 PM, citricsquid wrote: The user isn't complaining about that, while you're right that the adverts are here to pay for Newgrounds, the specific adverts mentioned in the topic are "problem" adverts that shouldn't be there, adverts shouldn't be giving out sound without any user intervention and Tom has said he doesn't like these, they'll be gone soon enough :)

Oh, thank you for pointing that out. I didn't know that's what was being referred to here. I'm glad that Tom is against these ads and hopefully they will be taken down as the ones that are there already (with the "skip this ad") can be irritating enough.


You know the world's gone crazy when the best rapper's a white guy and the best golfer's a black guy - Chris Rock