Be a Supporter!

HOW do songs get chosen top weekly?

  • 670 Views
  • 17 Replies
New Topic Respond to this Topic
DaveGuy
DaveGuy
  • Member since: Jul. 23, 2009
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Member
Level 14
Blank Slate
HOW do songs get chosen top weekly? Sep. 30th, 2009 @ 09:15 PM Reply

Yeah guys I've been hoping for my songs for top weekly five for a long time now and I have always wonder, HOW does newgrounds songs get chosen top weekly? Is it the score rank? does it get chosen randomly by the A-bot? Do people have elections and can somehow "click on this link to vote for top weekly" kind of button that I didn't pay attention to? I need help here plz.

=)

SineRider
SineRider
  • Member since: Apr. 21, 2006
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Moderator
Level 18
Musician
Response to HOW do songs get chosen top weekly? Sep. 30th, 2009 @ 09:19 PM Reply

It's all about finger strength

windows default pic?
boney-man
boney-man
  • Member since: Jul. 24, 2005
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Member
Level 11
Musician
Response to HOW do songs get chosen top weekly? Sep. 30th, 2009 @ 09:31 PM Reply

At 9/30/09 09:19 PM, SineRider wrote:
windows default pic?

yes

i question why you posted that pic


#1286129 // soundcloud.com/1shibumi

BBS Signature
boney-man
boney-man
  • Member since: Jul. 24, 2005
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Member
Level 11
Musician
Response to HOW do songs get chosen top weekly? Sep. 30th, 2009 @ 09:34 PM Reply

At 9/30/09 09:32 PM, wtflolnoob wrote: It's all about making the most generic techno/dance song with no creativity whatsoever.

Sawtooths and squares only. No sine waves or triangles. Be sure to NOT use the vengeance sound bank either.

let's not get into another one of those "why do people love 'generic' music so much" arguments again lol


#1286129 // soundcloud.com/1shibumi

BBS Signature
loansindi
loansindi
  • Member since: Mar. 15, 2003
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Member
Level 15
Musician
Response to HOW do songs get chosen top weekly? Sep. 30th, 2009 @ 09:34 PM Reply

It's chosen based on the scores tuesday night.

SymbolCymbal
SymbolCymbal
  • Member since: May. 14, 2008
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Member
Level 25
Musician
Response to HOW do songs get chosen top weekly? Sep. 30th, 2009 @ 09:43 PM Reply

you submit a song.
that song gets a great score over a weeks time.
that great score you got over a weeks time is one of the top five scores.

word of advice if you want the top five of the week. submit your music after midnight on a tuesday night .. so basically submit it wednesday morning so youll have the whole week to get more votes, i dont know if there is a minimum of votes.. but im guessing 20 votes.

someone please correct that number of votes if i am wrong

loansindi
loansindi
  • Member since: Mar. 15, 2003
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Member
Level 15
Musician
Response to HOW do songs get chosen top weekly? Sep. 30th, 2009 @ 09:49 PM Reply

At 9/30/09 09:43 PM, SymbolCymbal wrote: word of advice if you want the top five of the week. submit your music after midnight on a tuesday night .. so basically submit it wednesday morning so youll have the whole week to get more votes, i dont know if there is a minimum of votes.. but im guessing 20 votes.

someone please correct that number of votes if i am wrong

Yep. 20 votes.

The reason a lot of questionable things (like voice acting submissions that are just... spammy) show up in the top 5 is because people do questionable things to get them there. Sometimes people submit tracks to quiet genres so they can 'hide' while they beef up the score. Maybe there's illegitimate voting going on, who knows. Fact of the matter is that the top 5 is widely acknowledged to NOT be indicative of the best work on the portal, for the most part.

runpoochrun
runpoochrun
  • Member since: Jul. 10, 2008
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Member
Level 04
Blank Slate
Response to HOW do songs get chosen top weekly? Oct. 7th, 2009 @ 01:32 AM Reply

At 9/30/09 09:49 PM, loansindi wrote:
At 9/30/09 09:43 PM, SymbolCymbal wrote: word of advice if you want the top five of the week. submit your music after midnight on a tuesday night .. so basically submit it wednesday morning so youll have the whole week to get more votes, i dont know if there is a minimum of votes.. but im guessing 20 votes.

someone please correct that number of votes if i am wrong
Yep. 20 votes.

The reason a lot of questionable things (like voice acting submissions that are just... spammy) show up in the top 5 is because people do questionable things to get them there. Sometimes people submit tracks to quiet genres so they can 'hide' while they beef up the score. Maybe there's illegitimate voting going on, who knows. Fact of the matter is that the top 5 is widely acknowledged to NOT be indicative of the best work on the portal, for the most part.

Hit the nail on the head there.

I can name many other reasons why Newgrounds' rating system (for flash, audio, etc.) is flawed compared to the majority of other sites with rating systems, and have even submitted suggestions to help improve it, with no response. That's why Newgrounds is a pile of shit.

SymbolCymbal
SymbolCymbal
  • Member since: May. 14, 2008
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Member
Level 25
Musician
Response to HOW do songs get chosen top weekly? Oct. 7th, 2009 @ 01:38 AM Reply


That's why Newgrounds is a pile of shit.

then why are you here?
well... if its such a pile of shit?
do you like to muck around in shit?
do you like dysentery?

i eat pieces of shit like newgrounds for breakfast.... ummm wait

FlamingFirebolt
FlamingFirebolt
  • Member since: Aug. 20, 2007
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Member
Level 08
Blank Slate
Response to HOW do songs get chosen top weekly? Oct. 7th, 2009 @ 02:13 AM Reply

At 10/7/09 01:38 AM, SymbolCymbal wrote:

That's why Newgrounds is a pile of shit.
then why are you here?
well... if its such a pile of shit?
do you like to muck around in shit?
do you like dysentery?

i eat pieces of shit like newgrounds for breakfast.... ummm wait

Even though newgrounds is a pile of shit, and i contribute next to nothing to the AP or forums. I still love this place =D

It's the users who make it great. No need getting sobby

BBS Signature
Helth
Helth
  • Member since: Oct. 26, 2008
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Member
Level 18
Musician
Response to HOW do songs get chosen top weekly? Oct. 7th, 2009 @ 03:20 AM Reply

At 9/30/09 09:32 PM, wtflolnoob wrote: It's all about making the most generic techno/dance song with no creativity whatsoever.

Sawtooths and squares only. No sine waves or triangles. Be sure to NOT use the vengeance sound bank either.

haha true^^


Trance/Ambient.

BBS Signature
blackattackbitch
blackattackbitch
  • Member since: Oct. 24, 2008
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Member
Level 04
Musician
Response to HOW do songs get chosen top weekly? Oct. 7th, 2009 @ 01:25 PM Reply

Did you ever see that episode where Stan went to the Federal Reserve, and the chopped the chicken's head off and watched it flop around on a board in order to choose what they would do when a bank failed?

Yep, that's exactly what Newgrounds does for it's Top 5 picks.

blackattackbitch
blackattackbitch
  • Member since: Oct. 24, 2008
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Member
Level 04
Musician
Response to HOW do songs get chosen top weekly? Oct. 7th, 2009 @ 01:27 PM Reply

Meant to say South Park episode. It was from earlier this year (or late last year, can't remember how old it was.)

DJRAV3N
DJRAV3N
  • Member since: May. 2, 2009
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Member
Level 02
Musician
Response to HOW do songs get chosen top weekly? Oct. 7th, 2009 @ 05:04 PM Reply

At 10/7/09 01:25 PM, blackattackbitch wrote: Did you ever see that episode where Stan went to the Federal Reserve, and the chopped the chicken's head off and watched it flop around on a board in order to choose what they would do when a bank failed?

Yep, that's exactly what Newgrounds does for it's Top 5 picks.

I second that lol. because once i had a song I released under the name hypnotik inc and it had 116 ratings and 200 downloads and a 4.35 and i got beat out by a song that had 98 ratings and a 4.23 ratings and less downloads then me. so ur answer seems most legit, my good sir.


I Am L3O, I Am the only Me there is Nobody Else
L3O's Soundcloud
Reverbnation

sumguy720
sumguy720
  • Member since: May. 18, 2008
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Member
Level 14
Blank Slate
Response to HOW do songs get chosen top weekly? Oct. 8th, 2009 @ 12:41 AM Reply

You go to a university computer lab on tuesday night, at about 11. Make a shitty song on garage band, and then go to newgrounds on all the computers in the lab (should be 40+) Submit your song-- BUT DON'T VOTE ON IT YET!
At 11:55 go to the song on all the computers and line up all the cursors over the '5' button. At 11:57 run around and click all the mice.

Also, just before doing this you can vote zero on all the other submissions using the same method, but be sure to do this before the crucial 11:55-12:00 period. This will also increase your security on the top five.


BBS Signature
loansindi
loansindi
  • Member since: Mar. 15, 2003
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Member
Level 15
Musician
Response to HOW do songs get chosen top weekly? Oct. 8th, 2009 @ 12:46 AM Reply

At 10/8/09 12:41 AM, sumguy720 wrote: You go to a university computer lab on tuesday night,

this is the flaw in your plan... all of those machines will likely be reporting the same IP.

darthduba
darthduba
  • Member since: Dec. 19, 2007
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Member
Level 13
Musician
Response to HOW do songs get chosen top weekly? Nov. 25th, 2009 @ 06:09 AM Reply

At 10/7/09 01:25 PM, blackattackbitch wrote: Did you ever see that episode where Stan went to the Federal Reserve, and the chopped the chicken's head off and watched it flop around on a board in order to choose what they would do when a bank failed?

Yep, that's exactly what Newgrounds does for it's Top 5 picks.

Me luv that episode !!!


BBS Signature
Kirbyfemur
Kirbyfemur
  • Member since: Dec. 18, 2007
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Moderator
Level 13
Audiophile
Response to HOW do songs get chosen top weekly? Nov. 25th, 2009 @ 07:45 AM Reply

At 10/7/09 02:13 AM, FlamingFirebolt wrote:
At 10/7/09 01:38 AM, SymbolCymbal wrote:

That's why Newgrounds is a pile of shit.
then why are you here?
well... if its such a pile of shit?
do you like to muck around in shit?
do you like dysentery?

i eat pieces of shit like newgrounds for breakfast.... ummm wait
Even though newgrounds is a pile of shit, and i contribute next to nothing to the AP or forums. I still love this place =D

It's the users who make it great. No need getting sobby
At 10/7/09 01:32 AM, runpoochrun wrote:
Hit the nail on the head there.

I can name many other reasons why Newgrounds' rating system (for flash, audio, etc.) is flawed compared to the majority of other sites with rating systems, and have even submitted suggestions to help improve it, with no response. That's why Newgrounds is a pile of shit.

May i so kindly escort you to this thread, it should help you a lot. =3
http://www.newgrounds.com/bbs/topic/1124 362