00:00
00:00
Newgrounds Background Image Theme

squidmaster10 just joined the crew!

We need you on the team, too.

Support Newgrounds and get tons of perks for just $2.99!

Create a Free Account and then..

Become a Supporter!

Orchestration Contest: Winner!

16,518 Views | 35 Replies
New Topic Respond to this Topic

Orchestration Contest: Winner! 2009-09-29 00:56:14

We have a winner!

The winner of the orchestration contest is Robomanus for his entry Justice Day with a score of 214 out of a possible 230.

Robo, please contact me about the engineering help you may need on one project, and your $30 of NG store credit!

This is the only prize I can give out guys, but there were a lot of great tunes in this contest. I hope you enter the next one (and i hope it's quicker)

For those that are wondering, there was a wide range of scoring in this contest. Most of the runner's up were ties as well. Robo came out just a few points ahead.

Response to Orchestration Contest: Winner! 2009-09-29 01:11:38

congrats to robo, and thanks for taking the time to organize this, nathan :-)

Response to Orchestration Contest: Winner! 2009-09-29 02:10:57

At 9/29/09 12:56 AM, nathanallenpinard wrote: For those that are wondering, there was a wide range of scoring in this contest. Most of the runner's up were ties as well. Robo came out just a few points ahead.

This may have been covered in the thread, and if it was I apologize, but did you make public the rubric you used to judge the entries?

Response to Orchestration Contest: Winner! 2009-09-29 02:23:50

I believe I did. But if not:

I judged based on 3 criteria. Creativity based on the adaption of the melody, and the style of music. Orchestration, based on general counter melodies, ideas, chord progressions, voicings, and intro's, interludes, and endings. Followed by overall production value which was MIDI programming, mixing, mastering, samples, choice of samples, blend of overall instruments, etc.

Creativity and Orchestration was based on a score of 1 to 10, with a 10x multiplier. Production value was 1 to 10 as well, but with a 3x multiplier. This was to assure that people with awesome samples would not dominate the contest. This made a possible score of 230 overall, which no one scored.

I'm hesitatant to actually post the scores, due to the amount of people that would probably think I was unfair. But I listened a lot, and scored appropriately. I even listened to all the entires based on score, to make sure that I didn't unfairly judge anyone. I did not have to alter anything even after doing that.

I was the only judge, but being a music producer, I have a wide variety of styles. I'm not biased towards one style of music at all.

Response to Orchestration Contest: Winner! 2009-09-29 02:33:38

At 9/29/09 02:23 AM, nathanallenpinard wrote: I'm hesitatant to actually post the scores, due to the amount of people that would probably think I was unfair.

I wouldn't do that. I was just curious about your metrics.

Response to Orchestration Contest: Winner! 2009-09-29 02:51:00

Congrats to Robo!

Response to Orchestration Contest: Winner! 2009-09-29 06:38:04

In my opinion, he was really the only contestant that deserved it. His actually applied orchestration techniques.

BBS Signature

Response to Orchestration Contest: Winner! 2009-09-29 07:43:06

Congrats Robo! Excellent piece. :)

BBS Signature

Response to Orchestration Contest: Winner! 2009-09-29 10:00:34

can you pm me my scoreZ???

Response to Orchestration Contest: Winner! 2009-09-29 13:42:31

Nice job Robomanus!

I actually suspected you'd win from the start so it's not much of a surprise to me, but still, I think you deserved it!

Response to Orchestration Contest: Winner! 2009-09-29 14:47:43

Congrats man! Nice work! I'm looking forward to hearing the pro-engineered version and everything.

Nathan, you'll share that right?

BBS Signature

Response to Orchestration Contest: Winner! 2009-09-29 15:10:15

Assuming Robo wants help with that. But it does not have to be that piece, it can be any of his projects, commercial or not.

I have a feeling he might not need that help, as he does have an orchestrat available. In fact, he no doubt wrote that piece for the same instrumentation.

Response to Orchestration Contest: Winner! 2009-09-29 17:55:16

'Grats Robo! Really nice piece.
Really fun contest. I'm looking forward to any more that are coming :)

Nathan, I know you said you didn't want to post the scores of everyone in case people thought they were unfair, but would you be opposed to posting an ordered runners up list, so people can get an idea how well they did instead?

Response to Orchestration Contest: Winner! 2009-09-29 18:37:09

congratz man, great piece^^

Response to Orchestration Contest: Winner! 2009-09-29 18:56:57

Congrats to Robomanus, you totaly deserve it!

I agree to the other people in saying it would indeed be a good idea to put the runner-ups list, just to see the results, because it's a bit dissapointing to not know how you did after a month and a half of waiting.

Of course, you don't HAVE to do it, if it's too much trouble, I'm just saying it would be cool.

Response to Orchestration Contest: Winner! 2009-09-29 19:42:43

Let me compile the list, but I will just place people, not show the score.

Response to Orchestration Contest: Winner! 2009-09-29 19:56:10

1st Place:

Robomanus

2nd Place:

PGegen

3rd Place:

Benesh, Varrin7, PeterSatera

4th Place:

ProudAardvark

5th Place:

Arbiter, Mjjtomb, Samhaft, TheBenjerman

6th Place:

Kgz, DJSini

7th Place:

p4c, Tingtonger, Queezer

8th Place:

nor1

9th Place:

Brokendeck

10th Place:

Fearing, Vanguard, Cleod9, Ockeroid, Paradimensional

11th Place:

Deflektor, DJChivan

12th Place:

Camoshark

13th Place:

Aurongroove

14th Place:

GreatWhiteMe

15th Place:

Adompeace

16th Place:

Boxkilla

17th Place:

Mikkim

18th Place:

jx180

19th Place:

Arnas

20th Place:

Danimart

There you have it folks. I guess I should put the flame suit on now.

Please before you start throwing stuff at me, understand that most of the entires were literally 3-4 points from each other. Lots of entries were quite close.

Response to Orchestration Contest: Winner! 2009-09-30 01:46:39

Robo has a lot of skill and talent. Glad he won.

This was a good contest.

If you think you might have secret information listening to me, you're lost.

~Morton Feldman

Click on ROGA'S for a good time.

BBS Signature

Response to Orchestration Contest: Winner! 2009-09-30 02:54:55

Congrats Robo! I look forward to the next contest. Nathan, you rock! :D

Response to Orchestration Contest: Winner! 2009-09-30 04:55:05

Where is robo anyway? Serving the public trust? Protecting the innocent? Upholding the law?

BBS Signature

Response to Orchestration Contest: Winner! 2009-09-30 22:04:29

At 9/29/09 12:56 AM, nathanallenpinard wrote: We have a winner!

The winner of the orchestration contest is Robomanus for his entry Justice Day with a score of 214 out of a possible 230.

Robo, please contact me about the engineering help you may need on one project, and your $30 of NG store credit!

This is the only prize I can give out guys, but there were a lot of great tunes in this contest. I hope you enter the next one (and i hope it's quicker)

For those that are wondering, there was a wide range of scoring in this contest. Most of the runner's up were ties as well. Robo came out just a few points ahead.

can you tell us who got third and second? beacause most of the time in competition at least third and second are mentioned, if only as an honorary mention.

I'm hesitatant to actually post the scores, due to the amount of people that would probably think I was unfair. But I listened a lot, and scored appropriately. I even listened to all the entires based on score, to make sure that I didn't unfairly judge anyone. I did not have to alter anything even after doing that.

I think you should at least post the scores for those who want it, and also the average, which would help people see what they are being compared to.

Response to Orchestration Contest: Winner! 2009-09-30 22:10:20

At 9/29/09 07:56 PM, nathanallenpinard wrote: 1st Place:

Robomanus

2nd Place:

PGegen

3rd Place:

Benesh, Varrin7, PeterSatera

here are the runners up

Response to Orchestration Contest: Winner! 2009-09-30 22:22:22

can you tell us who got third and second? beacause most of the time in competition at least third and second are mentioned, if only as an honorary mention.

never mind, I didn't read the whole thread.

Response to Orchestration Contest: Winner! 2009-10-01 01:35:11

congrats to the winners, and big props to NAP for making the contest!!!

Wakka wakka

Response to Orchestration Contest: Winner! 2009-10-01 05:03:37

The averages were about 7, 7, 6 (creativity, orchestration, production value) all across, with variances, which is why people came so close.

Response to Orchestration Contest: Winner! 2009-10-01 07:09:38

So the question which is on all our tongues. When is the next one? =P

BBS Signature

Response to Orchestration Contest: Winner! 2009-10-01 08:38:41

At 10/1/09 07:09 AM, PeterSatera wrote: So the question which is on all our tongues. When is the next one? =P

I'll do one not long from now. But I need to get some projects out of the way first. Stress is building up a tad on my end, and yay....lack of sleep.

It'll be way simpler, so anyone with any system setup of music can participate with no problems.

And I WILL NOT BE JUDGING by myself on this next one. I'll need judges that can help regardless of how many entries they'd have to listen to.

Response to Orchestration Contest: Winner! 2009-10-01 10:52:59

Gratz Robo :]
dont know about you but im waiting for the next contest..

BBS Signature

Response to Orchestration Contest: Winner! 2009-10-01 15:15:48

WOW!!!! Sorry for late, but I've been really busy. But I was checking this from time to time and now I'm schocked!! I didn't expect that I win. I'm really happy! This contest was a great challenge to test my skills. And the other works are fantastic, expecially PGegen and DjSini. Thank you all, guys and thank you Nathan for running such a great competition. I'm eager for more. Greetings!!

Robomanus

Music is creation. Creation is humanity...

BBS Signature

Response to Orchestration Contest: Winner! 2009-10-01 15:21:56

Robo, i dont know if you remember the rules. But if I remember correctly the winner had to send complimentary chocolates to 3rd place.

:P

BBS Signature