00:00
00:00
Newgrounds Background Image Theme

AfroChan332 just joined the crew!

We need you on the team, too.

Support Newgrounds and get tons of perks for just $2.99!

Create a Free Account and then..

Become a Supporter!

The Newgrounds Pass Collab!

8,612 Views | 122 Replies
New Topic Respond to this Topic

The Newgrounds Pass Collab! 2009-09-20 13:44:37

Welcome to the Newgrounds Pass Collab!

What is the Newgrounds Pass?
The Newgrounds Pass is a game developed by Nicholas-Deary back in 2007. It is basically a bunch of various activities/puzzles which you need to solve to get the password for the next level.

This will be the fourth Newgrounds Pass game, and we want the community to be involved. Post here if you would like to join. The credentials are below.

The Rules
1) You must have at least a 3 battling average (if you are lower, provide a good sample of your work and we might make an exception)
2) It would be very helpful if you know basic Actionscript 2.0
3) You will need to make at least 1 level for the Newgrounds Pass. Try to make your level simple, we don't want it to take too long to finish. Play the Newgrounds Pass 3 for ideas.
4) If you are a flash artist and would like to take part, but cannot program, feel free to ask around to ask someone else to program it for you, make sure to include their username!
5) Keep us updated on your part. Post previews now and then. (Use Spamtheweb for free uploading)
6) Play the Newgrounds Pass, Newgrounds Pass 2, and Newgrounds Pass 3.

The Specs
-Actionscript 2.0 only
-Stage size must be 450x by 300x
-30 FPS
-Your level must be in a Movieclip.
-Please name all of your movieclips, graphics, or whatever as YOURUsername_mc1, and put them all in a folder (name it your Username).
-Save your work as anything lower then Flash CS3 format

Restrictions
-Please, no nudity
-No profane language

Co-Authors
Co-Authors will be chosen by the quality and playability of your level.

Due Date
There is currently no set due date. I don't want to rush anyone. As parts are coming along, I may decide on a date later on.

More Information
Nicholas-Deary and I will be designing the game, you guys just need to build a level. We are shooting for about 60 levels, one for every Newgrounds rank.

Response to The Newgrounds Pass Collab! 2009-09-20 13:45:34

I approve of this thread. I was originally going to organise this collab by myself, but I am very busy at the moment with university and such so I asked Matt to be the main organiser. I am the the co organiser and will be helping out with designing the game and organising parts.

The Newgrounds Pass Collab!

BBS Signature

Response to The Newgrounds Pass Collab! 2009-09-20 13:54:07

I don't get how you put the level in a movie clip?

"Marx was wrong. Religion is not the opiate of the masses, religion is the placebo of the masses."

BBS Signature

Response to The Newgrounds Pass Collab! 2009-09-20 14:21:07

I am so totally going to make a part

or two, or three

BBS Signature

Response to The Newgrounds Pass Collab! 2009-09-20 14:35:24

I'm in. Are you gonna be setting a limit on internet/pop culture references?

Response to The Newgrounds Pass Collab! 2009-09-20 14:44:07

At 9/20/09 02:35 PM, UnrealCanine wrote: I'm in. Are you gonna be setting a limit on internet/pop culture references?

lol, you mean memes? Yeah, that would probably be best, although some should be allowed seeing as it's part of the Newgrounds culture. If people would describe what their levels are going to consist of before making them, then it will prevent people making inappropriate levels and levels which are too similar to other people's or from previous NG Pass games.

BBS Signature

Response to The Newgrounds Pass Collab! 2009-09-20 14:48:42

At 9/20/09 01:44 PM, Mattster wrote: 6) Play the Newgrounds Pass, Newgrounds Pass 2, and Newgrounds Pass 3.

Jonbro also made a Newgrounds pass.

[New Servers on the Way!] [Twitter] [My Site] [My NGLog]

Click on the image!

Sig by bangyouredead

BBS Signature

Response to The Newgrounds Pass Collab! 2009-09-20 15:15:11

@AronKong the idea is to get Newgrounders to design the levels for this version of the Newgrounds Pass. Thus making it a collab.

@OMGx design the level in a movieclip... Instead of making on the root timeline, just put it all in a movieclip so we can transfer it over with ease, if you are really having troubles, do it on the root timeline and we can fix it up.

@JOHNNY29 and I should care why?

Response to The Newgrounds Pass Collab! 2009-09-20 15:30:29

So, basically, we make a super-small minigame with a password at the end, and give you the .fla?

Awesome, count me in!

Response to The Newgrounds Pass Collab! 2009-09-20 15:36:00

At 9/20/09 03:30 PM, Archon68 wrote: So, basically, we make a super-small minigame with a password at the end, and give you the .fla?

Awesome, count me in!

Awesome! Glad to have you aboard :)

To answer your questions. Yes, you are basically making a little minigame to solve. One thing which I forgot to mention is that you can (if you want) submit 10 passwords. I have set up the game engine to randomly select 1 of 10 words for every level, and add a random number from 1 - 1000, so no one can post the codes for people to use...

Yup, when you are finished, send over the *.fla

Response to The Newgrounds Pass Collab! 2009-09-20 15:38:27

Here is a quickly made example of some minigames. This is basically a little piece of the password engine. Play it a few times, you will likely never get the same password.

http://spamtheweb.com/ul/upload/200909/5 6257_PasswordArrays.php

Response to The Newgrounds Pass Collab! 2009-09-20 15:39:53

Yeh I am in :)

BBS Signature

Response to The Newgrounds Pass Collab! 2009-09-20 15:42:01

At 9/20/09 03:39 PM, WarChimp wrote: Yeh I am in :)

Not so fast... You don't have a BA... Can you please provide a sample of your work?

Response to The Newgrounds Pass Collab! 2009-09-20 16:02:49

At 9/20/09 03:38 PM, Mattster wrote: Here is a quickly made example of some minigames.

Why so angry?

And by "Lower than CS3 Format" that's Flash 8 or lower, right?

I'll have to dust off the 'ol Flash CS3....

Response to The Newgrounds Pass Collab! 2009-09-20 16:08:25

At 9/20/09 04:02 PM, Archon68 wrote: And by "Lower than CS3 Format" that's Flash 8 or lower, right?

Yeah, CS3 is basically Flash 9, so Flash 8 would be lower.

BBS Signature

Response to The Newgrounds Pass Collab! 2009-09-20 16:09:59

At 9/20/09 04:02 PM, Archon68 wrote:
At 9/20/09 03:38 PM, Mattster wrote: Here is a quickly made example of some minigames.
Why so angry?

Haha, not angry, I think of that as the Mwahahaha face... :P

Response to The Newgrounds Pass Collab! 2009-09-20 17:22:21

At 9/20/09 03:42 PM, Mattster wrote:
At 9/20/09 03:39 PM, WarChimp wrote: Yeh I am in :)
Not so fast... You don't have a BA... Can you please provide a sample of your work?

oh woops sorry my other account is kickassman1 he has a batting average of 3.11 i think, check him out, this is my new account :P do you still want a sample? Just to let you know my skills have improved greatly in the passed 2 years

BBS Signature

Response to The Newgrounds Pass Collab! 2009-09-20 18:11:16

WarChimp,

I saw your videos, they were descent.
Can you program as well? At least enough to make a minigame?

Response to The Newgrounds Pass Collab! 2009-09-20 18:55:18

i only have flash cs4. is there any way i can still do a minigame? I dont have a batting average so i'l do a minigame and send you a link to it so you can decide if its good enough to be in the collab! would that be okay?

Response to The Newgrounds Pass Collab! 2009-09-20 18:59:25

At 9/20/09 06:55 PM, JoHobo2 wrote: i only have flash cs4. is there any way i can still do a minigame? I dont have a batting average so i'l do a minigame and send you a link to it so you can decide if its good enough to be in the collab! would that be okay?

If you are up to it. CS4 should be able to save as a CS3 format, go to File > Save As... > And choose Flash CS3 Document.

Go ahead, lets see what you can do.

Response to The Newgrounds Pass Collab! 2009-09-20 19:09:50

At 9/20/09 03:36 PM, Mattster wrote: To answer your questions. Yes, you are basically making a little minigame to solve. One thing which I forgot to mention is that you can (if you want) submit 10 passwords. I have set up the game engine to randomly select 1 of 10 words for every level, and add a random number from 1 - 1000, so no one can post the codes for people to use...

So for each level, when it reveals the password (if it does) we make it a random word from a list of ten words and a random number? Or do we just give you the words and you make everything random?

BBS Signature

Response to The Newgrounds Pass Collab! 2009-09-20 19:11:36

Is there anyway someone could throw together a simple example FLA? I'm not completely sure how all of this works. We make a minigame that gives a password at the end, but how exactly is this password going to be connected to the rest of the game? And just the minigame in an MC, right? That will be placed inside the actual game?

Response to The Newgrounds Pass Collab! 2009-09-20 19:17:05

Yes, when your part is finished, send me 10 words (if you want) that have to do with your part.

I already have something that generates the password, I just need words.

When programming, just put a script to unlock the password.... just enter this:

UnlockLevelPassword();

I will be inserting the password myself, all you need to focus on is designing a minigame.

Keep asking questions... sorry if it's not 100% clear yet.

Response to The Newgrounds Pass Collab! 2009-09-20 19:21:58

i will join!

Castle Crashers Collab Programmer

BBS Signature

Response to The Newgrounds Pass Collab! 2009-09-20 19:22:00

Here is an example FLA for those of you who want it.

http://spamtheweb.com/ul/upload/200909/6 9682_ExampleFLA.fla

Response to The Newgrounds Pass Collab! 2009-09-20 19:27:23

One last question. Approximately how long should it take someone to complete our minigame?

Response to The Newgrounds Pass Collab! 2009-09-20 19:30:26

At 9/20/09 07:27 PM, matrix5565 wrote: One last question. Approximately how long should it take someone to complete our minigame?

Hmm, try to keep it brief, anywhere around 1 minute or lower. It also depends on what kind of minigame it will be. Remember that not every level will be obvious of how to complete it.

There will be 60 levels, so if everything was 1 minute, it could take people over 1 hour to complete it. . . we don't want people to get bored.

Response to The Newgrounds Pass Collab! 2009-09-21 01:23:06

At 9/20/09 06:11 PM, Mattster wrote: WarChimp,

I saw your videos, they were descent.
Can you program as well? At least enough to make a minigame?

Yeh, i can program, rofl i am a programmer i got bored of animation so im into programming now :) anyway.

BBS Signature

Response to The Newgrounds Pass Collab! 2009-09-21 05:26:17

Count me in. This is sounds just so AWESOME, and I am so JOINING this collab!

One question: "Will everyone who participated, get credited on Newgrounds (not in-game, cause I know everyone will be that in-game)"

Prid

Response to The Newgrounds Pass Collab! 2009-09-21 06:23:29

At 9/21/09 05:26 AM, Prid-Outing wrote: Count me in. This is sounds just so AWESOME, and I am so JOINING this collab!

One question: "Will everyone who participated, get credited on Newgrounds (not in-game, cause I know everyone will be that in-game)"

Prid

Everyone will be credited in-game, their name will be on the level in a box.

As for out of game, you mean co-authoring? Read the main post.

I will try to credit as many people as possible, those with the best level(s) will be selected over others. I will also mention everyone on a list on the Portal post.