00:00
00:00
Newgrounds Background Image Theme

mariobros22 just joined the crew!

We need you on the team, too.

Support Newgrounds and get tons of perks for just $2.99!

Create a Free Account and then..

Become a Supporter!

Knocturne's Art

51,335 Views | 570 Replies
New Topic Respond to this Topic

Knocturne's Art 2009-09-19 13:34:09

I decided "Why not, I don't suck and I need tips." So, tell me what you think about my stuff, as a critic. Be tough but not ridiculous please.

This is the latest thing I've worked on, I drew it while listening to a song from the new Muse album.

Knocturne's Art

Who is the hunter?

BBS Signature

Response to Knocturne's Art 2009-09-19 13:40:05

At 9/19/09 01:34 PM, Knocturne wrote: I decided "Why not, I don't suck and I need tips." So, tell me what you think about my stuff, as a critic. Be tough but not ridiculous please.

This is the latest thing I've worked on, I drew it while listening to a song from the new Muse album.

critic hmm well i like it the anatomy is good reminds me of an anime style, and lastly is that a carpet in the background lol

Response to Knocturne's Art 2009-09-19 13:42:49

No, it's a sweater fabric I took a picture of and I used multiple on it, it's actually the foremost layer haha.

Who is the hunter?

BBS Signature

Response to Knocturne's Art 2009-09-19 14:34:55

Well, first of all welcome,
on to the criticism part:
Anatomy is not good. Heads are extremely large, their (especially his) necks are very long. If this is a stylistic choice, your free to do that. But please do mention that in the future... Still Id do something about his neck, it is really ridiculously long, especially with those low shoulders.
Another point has to do with that sweater... Its all very nice, but I dont think it really adds to the picture. It makes it harder to really look at the picture, which I guess is no problem for some poeple, but I dont really like it.
Id suggest only using these textures and stuff as long as they add any value to the drawing, never make the drawing dependant on the texture. Look at it like a picture frame (not that great of a comparison, but it works), It can add something to a painting, but it must never distract from it. And in the end, it is about the painting, not about the frame.

NEVER LOOSE FAITH IN MANCUNT

BBS Signature

Response to Knocturne's Art 2009-09-19 15:06:42

I strongly love the sweater pattern. it does many things in my opinion; strengthens the circles I patterned throughout the drawing , it brings focus and dims all the colours and creates that "too sweet" feeling.

As for the proportions, yes, they aren't realistic, his neck is too long, and I didn't bother shrinking his head to be proportionate, the girl however, is actually pretty well proportioned.

I can post the image without the overlay, and you'll see how empty and broken it feels.

Here's something else.

Knocturne's Art

Who is the hunter?

BBS Signature

Response to Knocturne's Art 2009-09-19 18:06:15

do studies, you dont know anything about skin tone, anatomy, proportions, depth, value, color theory, and so on.

Response to Knocturne's Art 2009-09-19 21:43:27

At 9/19/09 06:06 PM, Looking4Secs wrote: do studies, you dont know anything about skin tone, anatomy, proportions, depth, value, color theory, and so on.

Actually, I'm planning on it, though I disagree with some of your claims.

Who is the hunter?

BBS Signature

Response to Knocturne's Art 2009-09-19 21:57:29

theres lots of styles where the proportions are off one way or another, if you develop an agreeable enough style then cool. my advice is to not get pushed around by teachers and assholes so much that you lose interest or become an asshole yourself. 8]

Response to Knocturne's Art 2009-09-19 22:08:49

Your stuff isn't so bad thus far. But the filters are very annoying imo.
I don't think any artist should worry about filters to much. Traditional art just looks so much better.

Old art thread: http://www.newgrounds.com/bbs/topic /979013

If you love me, you will look at my clothing as well: http://surrealserendipity.bigcartel .com/

BBS Signature

Response to Knocturne's Art 2009-09-19 22:25:51

At 9/19/09 10:08 PM, XxDaRkReDxX wrote: Your stuff isn't so bad thus far. But the filters are very annoying imo.
I don't think any artist should worry about filters to much. Traditional art just looks so much better.

I haven't used any filters in either drawing. I did a few pattern overlays though.

I don't always draw that way either, as seen here.

I took one drawing class, of course it was beginning drawing, all we did was still lifes in various mediums, practiced on values and shading and perspective work.

Knocturne's Art

Who is the hunter?

BBS Signature

Response to Knocturne's Art 2009-09-20 07:09:05

I like the style, and the texture and shading was good, you have some problems with anatomy, mainly in the first picture, the heads are too oblong, and seem flat.

hur,hur.

BBS Signature

Response to Knocturne's Art 2009-09-20 11:38:24

Yeah, I need to take some formal life drawing classes, I know you're supposed to learn the rules before you break em.

Knocturne's Art

Who is the hunter?

BBS Signature

Response to Knocturne's Art 2009-09-22 18:00:35

At 9/19/09 09:43 PM, Knocturne wrote:
At 9/19/09 06:06 PM, Looking4Secs wrote: do studies, you dont know anything about skin tone, anatomy, proportions, depth, value, color theory, and so on.

all of my claims are right. Prove me wrong.

Response to Knocturne's Art 2009-09-22 18:10:22

At 9/22/09 06:00 PM, Looking4Secs wrote:
At 9/19/09 09:43 PM, Knocturne wrote:
all of my claims are right. Prove me wrong.

none of these have really detailed colouring so you cant exactly make that claim
and it kinda looks like a manga style so the anatomy would be different, i personally really like it

Response to Knocturne's Art 2009-09-23 20:43:50

I'm working on an anatomically accurate and well coloured piece just for the thread.

Who is the hunter?

BBS Signature

Response to Knocturne's Art 2009-10-16 15:21:16

Here's my current work in progress. It's my "Karma is Dead" robot but a little bit reworked and not all messed up. Tried to tone down the Iron Giant resemblance.

Knocturne's Art

Who is the hunter?

BBS Signature

Response to Knocturne's Art 2009-10-16 15:49:33

I really like your art, it has a lot of style to it. I guess on the 'criticism' side I would say to work on:

- Anatomy. Every style of art has proportions. With your 'long neck' theme, make sure that the body and head are well proportioned with it. (Such as the girl in the 1st drawing).
- Perspective. The sketch of the girl one the rocks looks like it's a pile of rocks in the back, and a sloped side-walk in the front.

I still love your art though! You're not afraid to think outside of the box (like your sweater picture), and while anyone with a little work can learn to draw, it takes creativity to become a true artist! And you are well on your way! :D

Response to Knocturne's Art 2009-10-16 16:28:41

Thanks E-Yeah, you pointed out a lot of things I hadn't even realized. I think my next projects will incorporate perspective more actively, so I can improve on it. I'm gonna work on learning traditional/realistic proportions so that I can then bend the rules and use my long necked proportions all I want hehe.

Who is the hunter?

BBS Signature

Response to Knocturne's Art 2009-10-27 18:00:10

Art swap with Hoboweasel

Knocturne's Art

Who is the hunter?

BBS Signature

Response to Knocturne's Art 2009-10-27 18:04:59

You've got a great grasp of foreshortening and proportions. Your style is absolutely beautiful. It kind of reminds me of Tim Burton. Your profile faces could use some work, I'd like to see you make some more of those. Really great stuff, dark and awesome.

"Animation is not the art of drawings that move, but the art of movements that are drawn." -Norman McLaren

Response to Knocturne's Art 2009-10-27 18:09:08

At 10/27/09 06:04 PM, PBass wrote: You've got a great grasp of foreshortening and proportions. Your style is absolutely beautiful. It kind of reminds me of Tim Burton. Your profile faces could use some work, I'd like to see you make some more of those. Really great stuff, dark and awesome.

Thank you, I'm getting into some life drawing classes and I want to get to the point where I can actually call the way I draw a style because I'll have choices.

One of my current works in progress is a profile, I'm gonna try to impliment them more often to work on that, thanks for the tip.

Tankmen!

Knocturne's Art

Who is the hunter?

BBS Signature

Response to Knocturne's Art 2009-10-27 19:18:17

At 10/27/09 06:09 PM, Knocturne wrote:
At 10/27/09 06:04 PM, PBass wrote: You've got a great grasp of foreshortening and proportions. Your style is absolutely beautiful. It kind of reminds me of Tim Burton. Your profile faces could use some work, I'd like to see you make some more of those. Really great stuff, dark and awesome.
Thank you, I'm getting into some life drawing classes and I want to get to the point where I can actually call the way I draw a style because I'll have choices.

One of my current works in progress is a profile, I'm gonna try to impliment them more often to work on that, thanks for the tip.

Tankmen!

Nice job on this one. The style isn't accurate (Which is not a bad thing at all since it's more creative) but you still got the tankmen theme down. Keep it up!

Response to Knocturne's Art 2009-10-27 19:21:05

For the Tankmen drawing I was trying to put a little of my style into them, in the end it looks a little odd and it feels unfinished to me.

Here's my drawing of Ness.

Knocturne's Art

Who is the hunter?

BBS Signature

Response to Knocturne's Art 2009-10-27 19:41:23

This one is really well done. You captured the night-carnival mood here.

Again, keep up the great work.

Response to Knocturne's Art 2009-10-27 19:43:19

I will!

Here's one of my Grim collab entries

Knocturne's Art

Who is the hunter?

BBS Signature

Response to Knocturne's Art 2009-10-27 21:07:26

At 10/27/09 07:43 PM, Knocturne wrote: Here's one of my Grim collab entries

somehow this look really generic to me... It could be due to the association with that other big-dented bear, but I think it has something to do with the overall style of it...
I dont encounter this in your other pieces, so I dont think its something fundamentally wrong, but still: you might want to look into that. I like your nintendo collab entry, it has a wholo lot of ambience to it.
well done!

BBS Signature

Response to Knocturne's Art 2009-10-27 21:14:20

I don't get what you mean about that.

Here's my work in progress, it's an art swap with cometa-guavaberry. We decided to give an idea to each other and see how the other person does with that idea.

Her suggestion was a boy and girl riding a rocket in outer space. I started off trying to do a locomotive instead but I also drew a steampunk 50's era sci-fi rocket but here's the train one.

Which will probably be hard to see. I made the stars and stuff myself, which is probably why they don't look believable.

Knocturne's Art

Who is the hunter?

BBS Signature

Response to Knocturne's Art 2009-10-27 21:20:47

At 10/27/09 09:14 PM, Knocturne wrote: I don't get what you mean about that.

haha, we have some serious communication issues, you and me.

Here's my work in progress, it's an art swap with cometa-guavaberry. We decided to give an idea to each other and see how the other person does with that idea.

cool idea... I have to remember that one.

Her suggestion was a boy and girl riding a rocket in outer space. I started off trying to do a locomotive instead but I also drew a steampunk 50's era sci-fi rocket but here's the train one.
Which will probably be hard to see. I made the stars and stuff myself, which is probably why they don't look believable.

the stars look okay, but the swirls are a bit iffy....
to locomotive looks cool but I think the "housing" (part where the driver stands, dont know the proper word) should be bigger than you seem to be going for.

BBS Signature

Response to Knocturne's Art 2009-10-27 21:26:46

Are you saying the style of the bear is what's boring about it? You talk about another bear and stuff, it's how you say things that really makes me confused.

Oh, I was actually gonna put the engine right about there. I have never drawn cars/trains/transportation before so I looked at a bunch of old coal trains and just drew whatever. I was looking at a bunch of pictures of space and I saw some nebula that looked like swirly nonsense so I tried to imitate it. I'm actually thinking of adding more stuff to the background to give it more of a dynamic look, and probably add some more colours.

Who is the hunter?

BBS Signature

Response to Knocturne's Art 2009-10-27 21:45:08

At 10/27/09 09:26 PM, Knocturne wrote: Are you saying the style of the bear is what's boring about it? You talk about another bear and stuff, it's how you say things that really makes me confused.

Oh, I was actually gonna put the engine right about there. I have never drawn cars/trains/transportation before so I looked at a bunch of old coal trains and just drew whatever. I was looking at a bunch of pictures of space and I saw some nebula that looked like swirly nonsense so I tried to imitate it. I'm actually thinking of adding more stuff to the background to give it more of a dynamic look, and probably add some more colours.

yeah, well it has been said before, but it does kinda resemble the radiohead bear... still I dont know if that is why it seems "boring" to me.
still, boring isnt the right word, It somehow doesnt seem original to me, that might be due to the likeliness to said bear, or because the general style of it has been widely used.
As for the train: see below picture, it looks like your going to follow the blue lines, wherease my suggestion would be more along the red lines (quick scetch mind you)
as for the nebulae, I know what you mean, and some of them do look swirly like, but yours dont look real to me.

Keep in mind, Im trying to help you... or communication is kind of making that difficult

Knocturne's Art

BBS Signature