thank you

xenilk
xenilk
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 13
Blank Slate
Response to programming 2004-02-17 07:37:51 Reply

At 2/17/04 12:08 AM, WilburCyborg wrote: You want to learn JAVASCRIPT!!! huh? Not bad place to start! Very good! You learn Javascript very well!

DOWN DOWN! Bad Jesus!!!!

PONGpaddle
PONGpaddle
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 13
Blank Slate
Response to programming 2004-02-17 08:41:00 Reply

Java, or Javascript? I'd learn neither. Learn Java in a few months, and don't learn Javascript at all. CSS or PHP are the best to learn.

www.w3schools.com

jamericanboy25
jamericanboy25
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 09
Blank Slate
Response to programming 2004-02-17 13:13:40 Reply

yea but dont u have to learn other stuff before php

PONGpaddle
PONGpaddle
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 13
Blank Slate
Response to programming 2004-02-17 13:47:44 Reply

At 2/17/04 01:13 PM, jamericanboy25 wrote: yea but dont u have to learn other stuff before php

For most scripting languages, you have to know HTML first.

lexus3
lexus3
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 14
Blank Slate
Response to programming 2004-02-17 14:11:26 Reply

if you want to learn knew sripting languages you should have a concrete background of html. don't start with php (unless you need it), javascript and css would probably be the best

Locke666
Locke666
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 02
Blank Slate
Response to programming 2004-02-17 20:51:46 Reply

If you know html and you want to do web oriented stuff then you should definetly learn java.

If you want to do non web stuff then learn some kind of basic (not vb.net though, I will kill that language someday)

If you dont know what the hell you want to do learn Perl ( ; (no im just messing with you) learn basic

Deja-Vu
Deja-Vu
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 32
Programmer
Response to programming 2004-02-20 23:41:05 Reply

At 2/17/04 05:36 PM, WilburCyborg wrote: LOOK at my JAVASCRIPT!!!!!

<?xml version="1.0" encoding="UTF-8"?>
<!DOCTYPE html PUBLIC "-//W3C//DTD XHTML 1.0 Transitional//EN" "http://www.w3.org/TR/xhtml1/DTD/xhtml1-transitional.dtd">
<html xmlns="http://www.w3.org/1999/xhtml" xml:lang="en-US" lang="en-US">
<head>
<title>JAVASCRIPT!!!!111</title>
</head>
<body>
<% switch ((int)(Math.random() * 5)) {
case 0: %>
<h1>Dan is gay</h1>
<% break;
case 1: %>
<h1>Dan is really gay</h1>
<% break;
case 1: %>
<h1>Dan is really gay</h1>
<% break;
case 2: %>
<h1>Dan is super gay</h1>
<% break;
case 3: %>
<h1>Dan is ultra gay</h1>
<% break;
case 4: %>
<h1>Dan is ultra-MEGA gay</h1>
<% break;
} %>
</body>
</html>

That isn't even NEAR JavaScript dude. Looks more like ASP to me.

Anyway, HTML is a markup language, not a programming language. CSS isn't programming either. JavaScript is a interpreted scrpting language although it has programming concepts, it is not a programming language.

A PROGRAMMING language compiles code into executable files. It depends what kind of things you want to program:

* Delphi & VB can be used for RAD (rapid application development) apps
* C++ and C# are the most powerful languages and lets you use pointers to directly access memory, thus providing faster execution of commands. Most games are written in C++
* JAVA is mainly for cross-platform development and Internet

PHP, Perl and ASP are server-side scripting languages and are best suited to Internet or Intranet sites.

Hopes this helps a bit.

BBS Signature
z7xfla
z7xfla
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 09
Blank Slate
Response to programming 2004-02-20 23:50:09 Reply

You must learn HTML before anything else. Then I'd move on to PHP (which is the language I currently use). But it's always good to expand your horizon. I'm beginning to learn C++, Java, and CSS. Try learning those, too, once you've learned the basics of programming (like variables and arguments).

lexus3
lexus3
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 14
Blank Slate
Response to programming 2004-02-20 23:52:27 Reply

At 2/17/04 08:51 PM, Locke666 wrote: If you know html and you want to do web oriented stuff then you should definetly learn java.

wat?

LordAba
LordAba
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 10
Blank Slate
Response to programming 2004-02-21 18:10:07 Reply

I wrote a program that uses DirectX to change the screen to 800x600x16 and post a background and it's already 284 KB. Granted a lot of it is a library I've edited, so that if I add stuff the size won't ballon up that much. Made in the VC++ 6.0 compiler, BTW.

What may man within him hide, though angel on the outward side.

BBS Signature
Deja-Vu
Deja-Vu
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 32
Programmer
Response to programming 2004-02-22 06:20:09 Reply

At 2/21/04 01:34 AM, WilburCyborg wrote:
Delphi compiles much smaller and faster exe files than any c/c++ compiler for windows.

BULLSHIT. Why do you think more games are made in C++ than in Delphi? I can make a simple text editor in C++ which is then about 30 KB large. A similar text editor in Delphi is 400+ KB.

BBS Signature
Deja-Vu
Deja-Vu
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 32
Programmer
Response to programming 2004-02-22 11:57:23 Reply

At 2/22/04 06:53 AM, WilburCyborg wrote: You can make a 30kb text editor in MFC C++? How big are the .net runtimes? 12 megs? Delphi never has runtimes. Also I could write a text editor in delphi that would compile to probably around 10kb without runtimes if i felt so inclined as to use Win32 API.

.net runtimes? WTF? I'm talking about C++ using Dev C++ API and Borland C++ compiler, not MS C++ .net. No runtimes, just a stand alone .exe

Delphi IS faster because it's a really clean compiler and pascal is a very clean language. http://dada.perl.it/shootout/craps.html

Dude I agree 100% with you there (with the clean compiler and clean languagfe issue), I use Delphi for all my programming and I'll stick to it until I die, BUT Delphi is DEFINATELY not faster, I asked a C++ instructor and he positively said that C++ has better execution times than Delphi, hence it's popularity among game devs.

Why is C more commonly used? Because C has better syntax and it's the standard windows programming language.

No, I said C++ is more commonly used for games because of it's speed.

BBS Signature
FirebirdGM
FirebirdGM
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 10
Blank Slate
Response to programming 2004-02-26 01:27:23 Reply

Why the hell is everybody saying you Need To learn HTML before anything else? HTML is not a Dynamic Language. That will not help you one bit when you get to higher-end programming languages.

I would start with Basic. It will give you the feel for programming, but it keeps it Basic at the same time. Then move into Visual Basic, get used to different API calls, then either Java, C, or Delphi if you are feeling Brave.

Oh, and what's his name is right -- Delphi does compile and execute faster than Native C code. However, C is generally prefered among game programmers simply because of the simplicity of functions which can be carried out through the language. Many things in Delphi must be 'Hard coded' in.

StarCleaver
StarCleaver
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 29
Blank Slate
Response to programming 2004-02-26 08:54:21 Reply

I'm gonna make a huge leap and say start with actionScript. :)

Okay, everybody start throwing stones.

I could surely die
If I only had some pie
Club-a-Club Club, son

BBS Signature
PONGpaddle
PONGpaddle
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 13
Blank Slate
Response to programming 2004-02-26 12:09:46 Reply

At 2/26/04 01:27 AM, Firebird2k wrote: Why the hell is everybody saying you Need To learn HTML before anything else? HTML is not a Dynamic Language. That will not help you one bit when you get to higher-end programming languages.

No, it isn't a dynamic language, and it won't help people when thay get to higher-end programming, but its a easy to learn, quick markup script, that will help people get off the ground. Whats the point in creating programs in C/C++, VB, Java etc, if you havn't got a way to distribute them,

I would start with Basic. It will give you the feel for programming, but it keeps it Basic at the same time. Then move into Visual Basic, get used to different API calls, then either Java, C, or Delphi if you are feeling Brave.

And how the hell are you suposed to learn it. After HTML, I wanted to learn BASIC, and crawled all over the internet trying to find a tutorial. I never did find one, and ended up trying to learn PHP, VB, and probobly some others that I gave up on too early to remember them.

LordAba
LordAba
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 10
Blank Slate
Response to programming 2004-02-26 13:04:09 Reply

At 2/26/04 12:09 PM, SamG wrote: No, it isn't a dynamic language, and it won't help people when thay get to higher-end programming, but its a easy to learn, quick markup script, that will help people get off the ground. Whats the point in creating programs in C/C++, VB, Java etc, if you havn't got a way to distribute them,

The point is to learn about programming and to make cool programs. If you just give them to your friends, it's a start. Frankly if some random person gave me a link and said download my program I wouldn't. But if a friend I knew game me a prgram he was working on, I'd try it out. I learned C++ way before I learned any HTML, and it didn't hurt me at all.

And how the hell are you suposed to learn it. After HTML, I wanted to learn BASIC, and crawled all over the internet trying to find a tutorial. I never did find one, and ended up trying to learn PHP, VB, and probobly some others that I gave up on too early to remember them.

Well, sometimes you have to spend money to make money. I learned a lot from books. And if you think that some are too expensive then get the Complete series. They are only $20 for A LOT of information.

The point is is that everyone learns in different ways at different rates. People pick up on different languages at different times. Find what's best with you and go with it. Just keep in mind that eventually ALL LANGUAGES WILL BE THE SAME TO YOU. Once you get around the syntax all the basics are still there. So it doesn't matter where you start, just where you end up....

BBS Signature
Ravens-Grin
Ravens-Grin
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 05
Blank Slate
Response to programming 2004-02-29 19:57:44 Reply

At 2/22/04 12:46 PM, WilburCyborg wrote: I even did a benchmark test myself. Dev-C++ er... GNU MinGW does sieve of eurothehafndses half a million times in 36 seconds, delphi does it in 32 :p i win! lol

Speed of things really depends on what compiler you use for C++. Using a GNU compiler probably won't get you the same speeds as a commercial compiler so that statement you made is kind of void.

The-GrandMaster
The-GrandMaster
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 09
Blank Slate
Response to programming 2004-03-01 01:40:11 Reply

Any regular will tell you that 'Arguing with Justin' is vey similiar in definition to 'Losing an argument'.

So if he says something, just agree. He's always right and if he's wrong he can make you think he's right. Period.

LordAba
LordAba
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 10
Blank Slate
Response to programming 2004-03-01 08:22:38 Reply

At 3/1/04 01:40 AM, The_GrandMaster wrote: Any regular will tell you that 'Arguing with Justin' is vey similiar in definition to 'Losing an argument'.

BAH! I think liljim could school him.... :)

BBS Signature
xenilk
xenilk
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 13
Blank Slate
Response to programming 2004-03-01 09:03:39 Reply

At 3/1/04 08:38 AM, WilburCyborg wrote: justin's old japanese karate guy wisdom

to understand the manner in which the compiler compiles - you first must understand the manner in which a dan screws in a lightbulb - and then you will be truly wise

http://www.homelessinsane.com/news_files/dan_lightbulb.jpg

who the hell is this dan guy?

STEM
STEM
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 50
Blank Slate
Response to programming 2004-03-01 18:20:26 Reply

i started HTML, then glanced at some compilers, pascal and delphi, and went on to C++.

[ Forum Mod // Send PM ]

BBS Signature
The-GrandMaster
The-GrandMaster
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 09
Blank Slate
Response to programming 2004-03-02 02:34:54 Reply

At 3/1/04 08:22 AM, Lord_Aba wrote:
At 3/1/04 01:40 AM, The_GrandMaster wrote: Any regular will tell you that 'Arguing with Justin' is vey similiar in definition to 'Losing an argument'.
BAH! I think liljim could school him.... :)

I sincerely doubt it, while I'm well aware of Liljim's abilities I can not honestly see how one can compare them to Justin's.

Insiv
Insiv
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 02
Blank Slate
Response to programming 2004-03-02 14:10:45 Reply

ill just stick to PHP guys, its all i need

PONGpaddle
PONGpaddle
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 13
Blank Slate
Response to programming 2004-03-02 15:07:59 Reply

At 3/2/04 02:10 PM, Xyion wrote: ill just stick to PHP guys, its all i need

NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!!!! Python!!! Use Python!!!

Why? No idea. I just like the name...

The-GrandMaster
The-GrandMaster
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 09
Blank Slate
Response to programming 2004-03-04 04:18:45 Reply

I personally don't like Python, but I'm pretty sure it has some relationship with Google so it must be good. But I prefer C++.

hotdog-HHH
hotdog-HHH
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 04
Blank Slate
Response to programming 2004-03-06 01:20:29 Reply

goes it cost money to make a movie coz i want to make 1

aerosniper
aerosniper
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 06
Blank Slate
Response to programming 2004-03-06 03:49:13 Reply

You should learn HTML first. It was my first programming language and a good starter.

PONGpaddle
PONGpaddle
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 13
Blank Slate
Response to programming 2004-03-06 04:05:33 Reply

At 3/4/04 04:18 AM, The_GrandMaster wrote: I personally don't like Python, but I'm pretty sure it has some relationship with Google so it must be good. But I prefer C++.

C++:

#include <iostream.h>
void int()
{
cout << "Hello, World!" << endl;
}

Turns into:

print "Hello, World\n"

Its definatly the easiest option.

White-Rhyno
White-Rhyno
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 38
Blank Slate
Response to programming 2004-03-06 04:20:57 Reply

At 3/6/04 04:05 AM, SamG wrote: Its definatly the easiest option.

Yeah, but it also uses more resources.
http://dada.perl.it/shootout/hello.html