New Topic Respond to this Topic
Mystery-Moon-Pie-Aud
Mystery-Moon-Pie-Aud
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 04
Blank Slate
Need an orchestral VSTi, but where? Sep. 14th, 2009 @ 02:36 PM Reply

Where/how/what site can I get a nice orchestral VST that doesn't sound like I am running my nails against a chalkboard? I've tried out DSK Strings and Virtuoso, but that eats up my memory and ram, especially when placing more than one on a channel. I've used Papelmedia Strings, but that doesn't give specific instruments touse, it's just one whole orchestra sound. And Edirol is too expensive for me. So what could some of your reccomend I try?

Strychnine and cyanide. A healthy part of this complete breakfast.

FairSquare
FairSquare
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 13
Musician
Response to Need an orchestral VSTi, but where? Sep. 14th, 2009 @ 02:39 PM Reply

Sorry, but we are not allowed to talk about torrents and stuff in here.

Example of my singing here

BBS Signature
Mystery-Moon-Pie-Aud
Mystery-Moon-Pie-Aud
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 04
Blank Slate
Response to Need an orchestral VSTi, but where? Sep. 14th, 2009 @ 02:55 PM Reply

I never said anything about torrents. I simply asked where I could get a good orchestral VST.

FairSquare
FairSquare
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 13
Musician
Response to Need an orchestral VSTi, but where? Sep. 14th, 2009 @ 03:04 PM Reply

At 9/14/09 02:55 PM, Mystery-Moon-Pie-Aud wrote: I never said anything about torrents. I simply asked where I could get a good orchestral VST.

Sigh, no, of course you didn't say anything about torrents...

But since you aren't willing to spend money, i suggest you try free soundfonts. I don't think i know any good and free or inexpensive Orchestral VST(i).

BBS Signature
winKoneR
winKoneR
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 13
Musician
Response to Need an orchestral VSTi, but where? Sep. 14th, 2009 @ 03:37 PM Reply

sorry for my empty, useless post but I have to "lol" :)

Mystery-Moon-Pie-Aud
Mystery-Moon-Pie-Aud
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 04
Blank Slate
Response to Need an orchestral VSTi, but where? Sep. 14th, 2009 @ 04:11 PM Reply

You're supposed to go with the flow...

EasilyEmbarrassed
EasilyEmbarrassed
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 13
Blank Slate
Response to Need an orchestral VSTi, but where? Sep. 14th, 2009 @ 04:23 PM Reply

Maybe this one is a good start. Edirol Orchetral VSTi. I can also suggest you an EastWest studio Orchestral Silver, Gold or Platinum pack, but that's very very expensive (quality costs money).

FairSquare
FairSquare
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 13
Musician
Response to Need an orchestral VSTi, but where? Sep. 14th, 2009 @ 04:24 PM Reply

At 9/14/09 04:11 PM, Mystery-Moon-Pie-Aud wrote: You're supposed to go with the flow...

You are not supposed to talk about torrents in this forum.

BBS Signature
Danman87
Danman87
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 05
Blank Slate
Response to Need an orchestral VSTi, but where? Sep. 14th, 2009 @ 04:25 PM Reply

Miroslav Philharmonik recently got pretty cheap ($399.99). You could also take a look at Symphonic Orchestra Silver ($195.00) by Eastwest. However, you wont be able to get anything close to real for free. Except you're some badass sound designer with a lot of freetime.

Denny Schneidemesser, composer for Film & Media. www.dennyschneidemesser.com

EasilyEmbarrassed
EasilyEmbarrassed
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 13
Blank Slate
Response to Need an orchestral VSTi, but where? Sep. 14th, 2009 @ 04:25 PM Reply

Whoops sorry, nevermind. I red the first message too fast. If Editrol is too expansive, then I won't think you'll succeed :)

Fuoco
Fuoco
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 13
Audiophile
Response to Need an orchestral VSTi, but where? Sep. 14th, 2009 @ 04:53 PM Reply

At 9/14/09 04:25 PM, EasilyEmbarrassed wrote: Whoops sorry, nevermind. I red the first message too fast. If Editrol is too expansive, then I won't think you'll succeed :)

$385 for Edirol? That is too expensive.

OP, you should try the new Garritan Personal Orchestra 4. It's one of the best sounding orchestras out there and only for $149.

Sakura's theme | Bunnykill 5
Blessed are they who can laugh at themselves for they shall never cease to be amused.

BBS Signature
Gravey
Gravey
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 24
Blank Slate
Response to Need an orchestral VSTi, but where? Sep. 14th, 2009 @ 04:59 PM Reply

At 9/14/09 04:24 PM, MH16 wrote:
At 9/14/09 04:11 PM, Mystery-Moon-Pie-Aud wrote: You're supposed to go with the flow...
You are not supposed to talk about torrents in this forum.

First off, torrents are not illegal in and of themselves. Only when used in an illegal way are they an issue, so I don't think that torrents themselves are banned from discussion. Because you can use torrents to share legally, just that many people don't.

And to answer the original post, if you can't afford Edirol you are screwed. Lol. Cause it is the cheapest "decent" orchestral vst. It is nothing compared to EastWest or Project Sam in terms of sheer amount of samples and its usefulness. But it is the cheapest among decent orchestral vsts.

I just suggest going and downloading squidfont orchestral until you can afford something better. It sounds awful by itself, but just ask good ol' BlackAttackBitch about how great a sound you can get out of it. Cause his stuff is pretty amazing and he uses nothing but freeware, including squidfont. (I'm guessing his pc is pretty bad ass though considering all the EQ work he must have to do.)

But yea, good luck trying to find a decent orchestra sound without paying at least a bit of money for it.

-Gravey-

BBS Signature
FairSquare
FairSquare
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 13
Musician
Response to Need an orchestral VSTi, but where? Sep. 14th, 2009 @ 05:07 PM Reply

At 9/14/09 04:59 PM, Gravey wrote: First off, torrents are not illegal in and of themselves. Only when used in an illegal way are they an issue, so I don't think that torrents themselves are banned from discussion. Because you can use torrents to share legally, just that many people don't.

Yeah, you are right. But i was talking about that ''secret'' message he put in his first post.

BBS Signature
Fuoco
Fuoco
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 13
Audiophile
Response to Need an orchestral VSTi, but where? Sep. 14th, 2009 @ 05:16 PM Reply

At 9/14/09 04:59 PM, Gravey wrote: But it is the cheapest among decent orchestral vsts.

The post above you disagrees.

Sakura's theme | Bunnykill 5
Blessed are they who can laugh at themselves for they shall never cease to be amused.

BBS Signature
Mystery-Moon-Pie-Aud
Mystery-Moon-Pie-Aud
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 04
Blank Slate
Response to Need an orchestral VSTi, but where? Sep. 14th, 2009 @ 06:18 PM Reply

At 9/14/09 05:07 PM, MH16 wrote:
At 9/14/09 04:59 PM, Gravey wrote: First off, torrents are not illegal in and of themselves. Only when used in an illegal way are they an issue, so I don't think that torrents themselves are banned from discussion. Because you can use torrents to share legally, just that many people don't.
Yeah, you are right. But i was talking about that ''secret'' message he put in his first post.

Couple of notes to the people who posted. I did say an orchestral VSTi, but I also mean orchestral instruments themselves, which if they work together, can create an orchestral sound. Yes, it may be hard to do that, but I'm sure that there are instruments that don't take up that much ram or memory that when joined sound half good.

And I never even mentioned torrents. And what is this secret message he talks of? My computer just likes to randomly enbold certain sections of text, so if you got some kind of weird freaky message, it's not my fault. But torrents are not only used for illegal purposes as said, just usually they are.

EmperorCharlemagne
EmperorCharlemagne
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 05
Musician
Response to Need an orchestral VSTi, but where? Sep. 14th, 2009 @ 06:23 PM Reply

Look around, as far as free soundfonts go, Squidfont Orchestral is what I use, and it is fairly extensive.

As well, Roland Personal Orchestra Percussion is another free soundfont that is rather versatile. Look around for them.

If you think you might have secret information listening to me, you're lost.
~Morton Feldman
Click on ROGA'S for a good time.

BBS Signature
loansindi
loansindi
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 15
Musician
Response to Need an orchestral VSTi, but where? Sep. 14th, 2009 @ 06:23 PM Reply

At 9/14/09 06:18 PM, Mystery-Moon-Pie-Aud wrote: And I never even mentioned torrents

Let's stop talking about it.

Anyway, I personally use garritan personal orchestra. It's very inexpensive (especially in the world of orchestral samples) and does alright. For a hobbyist it does what it needs to do.

Syntrus
Syntrus
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 10
Musician
Response to Need an orchestral VSTi, but where? Sep. 14th, 2009 @ 06:27 PM Reply

Grab a keyboard and a interface.

Syntrus keeping it real with fake computer music since 2006
The Madness of Kid Triangle

BBS Signature
loansindi
loansindi
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 15
Musician
Response to Need an orchestral VSTi, but where? Sep. 14th, 2009 @ 06:29 PM Reply

At 9/14/09 06:27 PM, Syntrus wrote: Grab a keyboard and a interface.

are there keyboards with decent orchestral sounds that aren't prohibitively expensive?

Mystery-Moon-Pie-Aud
Mystery-Moon-Pie-Aud
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 04
Blank Slate
Response to Need an orchestral VSTi, but where? Sep. 14th, 2009 @ 08:03 PM Reply

At 9/14/09 06:23 PM, EmperorCharlemagne wrote: Look around, as far as free soundfonts go, Squidfont Orchestral is what I use, and it is fairly extensive.

As well, Roland Personal Orchestra Percussion is another free soundfont that is rather versatile. Look around for them.

So I'll be looking for Roland Personal Orchestra Percussion and Squidfont Soundfonts.

Syntrus
Syntrus
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 10
Musician
Response to Need an orchestral VSTi, but where? Sep. 14th, 2009 @ 11:27 PM Reply

At 9/14/09 06:29 PM, loansindi wrote:
are there keyboards with decent orchestral sounds that aren't prohibitively expensive?

Pssh I don't know I make electronica.

BBS Signature
Chronamut
Chronamut
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 43
Artist
Response to Need an orchestral VSTi, but where? Sep. 14th, 2009 @ 11:46 PM Reply

At 9/14/09 11:27 PM, Syntrus wrote:

oh is THAT what you call that noise you make :P

Want to chat with fellow newgrounders? Then go here & come visit The High Society Club!
ALSO - My sig isnt there just for show - CLICK IT!

BBS Signature
nal1200
nal1200
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 15
Musician
Response to Need an orchestral VSTi, but where? Sep. 15th, 2009 @ 12:55 AM Reply

End this thread please, it's degrading to the community.

DJ-Chilvan
DJ-Chilvan
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 10
Blank Slate
Response to Need an orchestral VSTi, but where? Sep. 15th, 2009 @ 01:47 AM Reply

At 9/14/09 04:23 PM, EasilyEmbarrassed wrote: Maybe this one is a good start. Edirol Orchetral VSTi. I can also suggest you an EastWest studio Orchestral Silver, Gold or Platinum pack, but that's very very expensive (quality costs money).

I love Edirol. I dont use it much because my DAW's orchestra VSTis are pretty nice and dont eat memory but Edirol has sooooo many options.

Check out my new track Tokyo Pop and my hit: Our Nova Pt. 2.
Member of Review Request Club.

Syntrus
Syntrus
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 10
Musician
Response to Need an orchestral VSTi, but where? Sep. 15th, 2009 @ 05:37 AM Reply

At 9/14/09 11:46 PM, Chronamut wrote:
At 9/14/09 11:27 PM, Syntrus wrote:
oh is THAT what you call that noise you make :P

Pssh I have the ghetto set up. If you have the money to wipe your ass on gold then buy the newfangled shit chrono the homo has. I'm sure he will brag all about it. With his ego an everything But godamn I love my POS Casio. Oh and by the fucking way BEYONCE had a waaaay better video!!

BBS Signature
Syntrus
Syntrus
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 10
Musician
Response to Need an orchestral VSTi, but where? Sep. 15th, 2009 @ 06:02 AM Reply

I'm tired of taking crap on these forums no matter how innocent it may seem.

BBS Signature
PeterSatera
PeterSatera
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 08
Blank Slate
Response to Need an orchestral VSTi, but where? Sep. 15th, 2009 @ 08:19 AM Reply

If you cannot afford anything then please check out free samplers.

BlackAttackBitch has recently illustrated that you CAN get a full sound with the use of free samples. He uses them all the time. He made this

• {B.A.B.} Shadow of Malevolence
    {B.A.B.} Shadow of Malevolence by blackattackbitch

Click to listen.

Score
    4.12 / 5.00
    Type
    Loop
    Genre
    Classical
    Popularity

He is also nice enough to provide a list of what he uses.
http://blackattackbitch.newgrounds.com/

BBS Signature
JackRocker
JackRocker
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 11
Musician
Response to Need an orchestral VSTi, but where? Sep. 15th, 2009 @ 11:40 AM Reply

At 9/14/09 02:36 PM, Mystery-Moon-Pie-Aud wrote: Where/how/what site can I get a nice orchestral VST that doesn't sound like I am running my nails against a chalkboard? I've tried out DSK Strings and Virtuoso, but that eats up my memory and ram, especially when placing more than one on a channel. I've used Papelmedia Strings, but that doesn't give specific instruments touse, it's just one whole orchestra sound. And Edirol is too expensive for me. So what could some of your reccomend I try?

i don't really know how to use synths all that much, because i record my own instruments, but i use Magix Music Maker 14, and it has a synth that includes several VSTis from brass, to drum to orchestral, and also some techno and ambient synths. i bought it for only $60, although version 15 is out now for about the same price. i got it at Office Max, but you can also order it from their website.

Magix Website

not sure if they sell it at other stores or not, haven't seen it in any. also, i don't know how good the VSTi quality is, because i don't use them much. just wanted to let you know it's fairly cheap, if you're interested.

Mystery-Moon-Pie-Aud
Mystery-Moon-Pie-Aud
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 04
Blank Slate
Response to Need an orchestral VSTi, but where? Sep. 15th, 2009 @ 06:34 PM Reply

All argument has ceased. We are now talking about:

Orchestral and/or strings. Soundfonts and VSTi's.

DanceNation
DanceNation
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 13
Blank Slate
Response to Need an orchestral VSTi, but where? Sep. 16th, 2009 @ 10:46 PM Reply

At 9/14/09 04:23 PM, EasilyEmbarrassed wrote: Maybe this one is a good start. Edirol Orchetral VSTi. I can also suggest you an EastWest studio Orchestral Silver, Gold or Platinum pack, but that's very very expensive (quality costs money).

Thats My Fav, I love the strings in there..

BBS Signature