Be a Supporter!

A world without religion.

  • 2,116 Views
  • 68 Replies
New Topic Respond to this Topic
Im-A-Pirate
Im-A-Pirate
  • Member since: May. 4, 2006
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Member
Level 13
Blank Slate
A world without religion. 2009-09-14 10:31:27 Reply

What do you think it would be like? Personally, I think we would all be alot more advanced.

For starters, there would be a cure for cancer. Instead of us praying for years to god to give us a cure, instead of wasting time on that, science created a cure for it.

Second, anyone who believed in god would be burned alive for being too dumb to live in our utopia. There would be no wars, because really, the war on terrorism is only going on because they believe if they kill innocent people for their god, they will get in heaven and have 72 virgins.

Ohwell. Just my thoughts. Yours?


"Sir, we are surrounded!"
"Excellent, we can attack in any direction!"

ReligiousZoo
ReligiousZoo
  • Member since: Jul. 21, 2009
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Member
Level 01
Blank Slate
Response to A world without religion. 2009-09-14 10:33:39 Reply

Would be the most perfect world that ever existed

Doberman
Doberman
  • Member since: Apr. 27, 2007
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Member
Level 12
Blank Slate
Response to A world without religion. 2009-09-14 10:36:32 Reply

At 9/14/09 10:31 AM, Im-A-Pirate wrote: Ohwell. Just my thoughts. Yours?

A world without Islam.

Gedveikur
Gedveikur
  • Member since: Sep. 26, 2006
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Member
Level 17
Blank Slate
Response to A world without religion. 2009-09-14 10:37:33 Reply

Hey I'm just as much against the idiocracy of religion, but thanks to religion there was order and unification in times when it was really needed, it shouldn't be abolished, just modified to keep up with the times, like it shouldn't have anything to do with technology, religion are typically only trying to teach compassion, but then some idiots come along and say that they are right and this is that, those are the idiots who are fucking it up for the rest of the world!


BBS Signature
thies
thies
  • Member since: May. 17, 2007
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Member
Level 18
Artist
Response to A world without religion. 2009-09-14 10:38:19 Reply

It would be epic.


My Deviantart | NG Art | Youtube Channel | Art Portfolio
Shameless self-promotion ftw!

BBS Signature
Ass-Crumb
Ass-Crumb
  • Member since: Mar. 31, 2007
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Member
Level 05
Musician
Response to A world without religion. 2009-09-14 10:48:13 Reply

I would say that this world and English society in general would've taken atleast 500 more years to progress past the iron age and anarchy due to the fact that Judaism and subsequently Christianity pretty much established most law and order as well as most medical progressment for the time (until the middle ages in which they tried to hush doctors and surgeons and shit) but basically there's no telling how different our world would be. Hell, without the church Europe may have never expanded westward so aggressively or regulated the sales of Tobbacco, which would pretty much cease most cancer anyway.


Good Threads: 1 2 3 4 5
I can't see shit

BBS Signature
Yiffy
Yiffy
  • Member since: Jul. 12, 2003
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Member
Level 30
Blank Slate
Response to A world without religion. 2009-09-14 10:52:32 Reply

It's one of the side-effects of free will and thinking. Some people prefer to think themselves, other people prefer people to think for them. Without free thought we wouldn't even be able to question and opinionize things, such as this.

It's a preference, you can't push preferences or thoughts on people otherwise you would be as bad as people who try to force religion on one-another. People should just keep their thoughts ( such as about the reasons of life ) for themselves unless someone asks them.

Personally I think science is the way to go, why? Simply because there is too much unjust and illogical things in this world. If it was created with total harmony, why do animals have the instinct to kill one-another for food? Why are there so many criminals and wrongdoers in this world? Why do people get born with terrible illnesses, don't they deserve a chance at life? I can't comprehend things like this other than to just say; I wish it was different, but sadly, that's life.


So zetta slow!

BBS Signature
Chdonga
Chdonga
  • Member since: Mar. 24, 2008
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Member
Level 46
Game Developer
Response to A world without religion. 2009-09-14 10:54:55 Reply

A world without intolerance would be better. Because even without religion, we'd find a reason to start fighting again. If the world was devoid of religion, the only difference would be just that.


BBS Signature
Fim
Fim
  • Member since: Apr. 19, 2005
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Supporter
Level 47
Audiophile
Response to A world without religion. 2009-09-14 10:57:03 Reply

Whatever you think about religion you have to admit that it has had a massive impact on human civilisation as a whole, government, social attitude and even our language has deep religious links. I don't think you can just say that a world devoid of religion would be better, I think if you took religion out of the human storyline entirely we would be hugely different in many many ways. And this is coming from an athiest.


BBS Signature
GiantDouche
GiantDouche
  • Member since: Feb. 27, 2005
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Member
Level 19
Blank Slate
Response to A world without religion. 2009-09-14 11:06:23 Reply

Observe (graph on Richard Dawkin's website)
I think this is about right.

NG needs a Philosophy Forum badly.

A world without religion.

Ass-Crumb
Ass-Crumb
  • Member since: Mar. 31, 2007
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Member
Level 05
Musician
Response to A world without religion. 2009-09-14 11:09:44 Reply

At 9/14/09 11:06 AM, GiantDouche wrote: Observe (graph on Richard Dawkin's website)
I think this is about right.

NG needs a Philosophy Forum badly.

I can't help but think that that's completely wrong.

We're talking about a world without religion, so that hole that seems like it's fixed can be easily put back because ancient Egypt was incredibly spiritual and religious, even worshipping some of their kings as Godkings and such. You have to look at the big picture and think about all the shit religion has helped develop, and not just look at it from the perspective of an atheist who thinks religion is terrible.


Good Threads: 1 2 3 4 5
I can't see shit

BBS Signature
CacheHelper
CacheHelper
  • Member since: Apr. 2, 2009
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Member
Level 01
Blank Slate
Response to A world without religion. 2009-09-14 11:12:16 Reply

That's a foolish thought...

Animals fight all the time and it has nothing to do with God. We fight for pride, women, territory, food, and sometimes just for fun or because we're intoxicated. We fight over sports games and often times, people just simply don't get along.

The amount of wars fought in the name of God is few compared to the amount of wars fought over other things.

Without religion we would have taken longer to develop morals... and we might all be far more violent in the long run.

Art, music, and archetutre would suffer as well. Some of the most amazing peices of man man constructed masterpeices have been done so in the name of religion.

Rule
Rule
  • Member since: Jan. 21, 2005
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Member
Level 43
Blank Slate
Response to A world without religion. 2009-09-14 11:13:00 Reply

Wow, harsh.
But, I guess you'd be right with all the scientific advancements. The war part, however, would continue to go on. You can't not have war in this world, even when science blooms to it's highest. Advance weaponry, nuclear power, ect.


...

Dannyx28
Dannyx28
  • Member since: Feb. 18, 2009
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Member
Level 05
Blank Slate
Response to A world without religion. 2009-09-14 11:15:19 Reply

Religion has caused the most death throughout history. Plus i agree with the person who posted this thread.

Yhtomit
Yhtomit
  • Member since: Jan. 27, 2006
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Member
Level 24
Animator
Response to A world without religion. 2009-09-14 11:19:21 Reply

At 9/14/09 10:48 AM, Ass-Crumb wrote: I would say that this world and English society in general would've taken atleast 500 more years to progress past the iron age and anarchy due to the fact that Judaism and subsequently Christianity pretty much established most law and order as well as most medical progressment for the time (until the middle ages in which they tried to hush doctors and surgeons and shit) but basically there's no telling how different our world would be. Hell, without the church Europe may have never expanded westward so aggressively or regulated the sales of Tobbacco, which would pretty much cease most cancer anyway.

I gotta say, I agree with some of the points here. I mean, the laws of every more developped countries are built on the teachings of a religion, usually Christianity, and those that aren't appear to be less well structured, and have seemingly opressive regimes, for instance, Zimbabwe, China, or North Korea.
There's no denying the value that most religious teachings have. Without any religion, there would be no need for justification when killing someone, we'd have no morals, and society as we know it may have either taken longer to form, or may never have formed at all.
All of this is hypothetical, and we cannot possibly know what may have happened, had humans never developped religion or superstition, but personally, I'm glad we did, because I believe that thanks to that, the world we have today would be completely different, and I'm not sure it'd be in a positive way.

RollLip
RollLip
  • Member since: Nov. 4, 2008
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Member
Level 19
Blank Slate
Response to A world without religion. 2009-09-14 11:33:12 Reply

world without religion is a world full of mindless machines. if you cant believe in anything, you cant have targets in life, you just do the same cucle over and over again.
there will always be ppl looking up the ceiling, telling their deepest sins and secrets, hoping that something Greater, up there somewhere hears.

world without religion is an impossiblity


"A Disgrace to the Human Race" -the kind words of box-killa

Rokas1337
Rokas1337
  • Member since: Jul. 24, 2009
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Member
Level 11
Blank Slate
Response to A world without religion. 2009-09-14 11:37:39 Reply

hmmm lets see.. 72 virgins (probably all male) or the greatest species ever to have lived...

tough choice.. but im pretty sure im not gay so ill go for utopia..
MultiCanimefan
MultiCanimefan
  • Member since: Dec. 19, 2006
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Member
Level 21
Blank Slate
Response to A world without religion. 2009-09-14 11:50:30 Reply

A world without religion =/= A world without belief in God. If anything, people would still practice it in their own homes and stop giving money to institutions.

Jon
Jon
  • Member since: Aug. 6, 2006
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Member
Level 40
Blank Slate
Response to A world without religion. 2009-09-14 11:52:53 Reply

even if there was no religion, arrogant athiests will still bring up the fact that they 'CRUSHED RELIGION'.

serously, athiests bring up religion way more than anyone who follows a religion. just get over yourself.


hello

KittyKat87
KittyKat87
  • Member since: Oct. 29, 2007
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Member
Level 14
Artist
Response to A world without religion. 2009-09-14 11:56:04 Reply

It would end up with three different groups of atheists going to war over what to call themselves...

Lost-Chances
Lost-Chances
  • Member since: Jun. 19, 2004
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Member
Level 46
Blank Slate
Response to A world without religion. 2009-09-14 12:06:53 Reply

At 9/14/09 11:06 AM, GiantDouche wrote: Observe (graph on Richard Dawkin's website)
I think this is about right.

NG needs a Philosophy Forum badly.

So the Greeks, Egyptians and Romans weren't religious?


This too will pass.
Memento mori

BBS Signature
unowned
unowned
  • Member since: Jun. 10, 2005
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Member
Level 07
Blank Slate
Response to A world without religion. 2009-09-14 12:11:27 Reply

At 9/14/09 10:37 AM, Gedveikur wrote: Hey I'm just as much against the idiocracy of religion,

a mike judge movie of religion?

EchoRun
EchoRun
  • Member since: Feb. 18, 2007
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Member
Level 19
Artist
Response to A world without religion. 2009-09-14 12:13:00 Reply

I think many people - often younger ones that I have seen, or fanatics - make the mistake of thinking that all morals come from religion. That without it, we would all be barbarians who murder rape and pillage without remorse, just because there is no all powerful being with a big stick ready to punish anyone who puts a foot out of line. Not true. There have been countless events where people have acted selflessly, for the better good even putting their own lives on the line to help someone else and religion has had absolutely nothing to do with it. People are capable of both great good and great evil, if you wish to use those terms, religion is only something that gets tagged on later and can be used to give structure and direction to those innate traits, and not always for the good either.

Personal, I am a very spiritual person though I do not follow the bigger religions. I think that humans being what we are it will be impossible to abolish religion, some people need that sense that there is more in the world, and some people both want and need the guidance that a religion can offer. Face it, some people don't want to lead, some dont even want complete control of their lives, they want to be lead. If you abolished Christianity, Islam, or any other religious group, then in time others would arise to take their place, because that is what same people are like.

Just as you can't force someone to believe in a religion (though sadly people can be indoctrinated as children or brainwashed), you cant force them to stop. Killing won't help matter any either.

Gagsy
Gagsy
  • Member since: May. 21, 2006
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Member
Level 53
Audiophile
Response to A world without religion. 2009-09-14 12:17:03 Reply

I truly believe the world would be in even more chaos actually.

People NEED faith. Religion, while be the biggest cause of war in our world is still something that helps keep people sane. I don't think you realise just how crime filled this world could be if people didn't think they'd go to a heaven when they die after being good people in life. If there was no dream of a promised land after death then people would look to 'live' more in life.


[I've been wandering round but I still come back to you]

BBS Signature
TiredPaperBoy
TiredPaperBoy
  • Member since: Sep. 5, 2007
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Member
Level 16
Blank Slate
Response to A world without religion. 2009-09-14 12:24:54 Reply

The Dark Ages set back science and technology about 500 years because anyone with such things were burned alive...

So yeah, that and christians wouldn't bomb abortion clinics and muslims wouldn't bomb anything and everything that isn't against ther book.

There'd still be war... just less often and less extreme.


*No longer PaperBoy, due to a technicality involving a 'missing' energy drink, I am now TiredBoy...
General Forum
The Funniest BBS Typo

BBS Signature
DevilDog016
DevilDog016
  • Member since: Jun. 14, 2008
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Member
Level 08
Gamer
Response to A world without religion. 2009-09-14 12:39:06 Reply

At 9/14/09 10:31 AM, Im-A-Pirate wrote: Ohwell. Just my thoughts. Yours?

Les fucking BAWWWWing, less brainwashing, less bible-thumping morons, etc.

Akkryls
Akkryls
  • Member since: Apr. 7, 2006
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Member
Level 06
Blank Slate
Response to A world without religion. 2009-09-14 12:40:57 Reply

At 9/14/09 11:50 AM, MultiCanimefan wrote: A world without religion =/= A world without belief in God. If anything, people would still practice it in their own homes and stop giving money to institutions.

Now THIS would be the perfect world.
I don't actively try to bash christians except when they're acting like complete idiots.

Belief is fine. Religion is stupid.
Belief in a god or higher being is fine.
Its when religion starts making people act blindly or follow it to the letter, this is when it becomes unacceptable. And this happens more often than not in the religious community.


Being inconsiderate about Michael Jackson since 25/05/09
Best. Animation. Ever. (NSFW/FL?)
Blind users club

BBS Signature
D-Nightmare
D-Nightmare
  • Member since: Nov. 28, 2004
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Member
Level 22
Movie Buff
Response to A world without religion. 2009-09-14 13:33:10 Reply

At 9/14/09 01:06 PM, GOTHCLAWZ wrote: Blank post.

...the heck did that table come from!?.


I am not a poet, and I do not intend to be.
I just wanted to post so you do not forget me.

BBS Signature
MultiCanimefan
MultiCanimefan
  • Member since: Dec. 19, 2006
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Member
Level 21
Blank Slate
Response to A world without religion. 2009-09-14 13:39:11 Reply

At 9/14/09 01:33 PM, D-Nightmare wrote:
At 9/14/09 01:06 PM, GOTHCLAWZ wrote: Blank post.
...the heck did that table come from!?.

It's from Richard Dawkins website. However, it assumes that such a huge scientific advancement wouldn't have brought with it highly advanced weaponry. Therefore, yes, we could be exploring the galaxy. We could also have been vaporized.

Im-A-Pirate
Im-A-Pirate
  • Member since: May. 4, 2006
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Member
Level 13
Blank Slate
Response to A world without religion. 2009-09-14 19:32:53 Reply

At 9/14/09 01:12 PM, turboNEGROID wrote: Guess what idiots, until you have any empirical evidence to back up your bullshit you're just as bad as any religious. Blaming wars on religion because wars have been fought in the name of God is a worthless strawman. Religion isn't the cause of any war ever.

The crusades.

Nothing else to say.


"Sir, we are surrounded!"
"Excellent, we can attack in any direction!"