Pantomime-Horse
Pantomime-Horse
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 16
Blank Slate
Response to Renewable Energy and stuff... Jul. 29th, 2001 @ 11:15 PM Reply

At 7/29/01 06:32 AM, Pantomime_Horse wrote:
At 7/28/01 02:34 AM, TomFulp wrote: I thought it would be nice to give some environment-friendly advice. Just because Newgrounds doesn't blame the media for America's problems doesn't mean we don't give a shit. There are a lot of ways you can help this country, and still enjoy brutally violent and sexually explicit entertainment!

For example, I will be using 100% renewable energy in my new apartment.
You may be paying your bills to the people who generate green power But your really don't have a choice where the power is coming from, all commercial power stations must be part of a National Grid which means although you're paying the green company your energy is still coming from every power plant in the nation green or not green.

Natural Gas is Clean(Only bi-products are water vapour & CO2 but sufficient trees will sort that) but it's not renewable(well actually everything is renewable but it takes thousands of years to come back) & it still comes from a frigging big hole in the ground.

By water power I'll assume you mean Hydroelectricity, It is very efficient & very clean but It has massive geographical impact, rivers must be dammed, the earth but be carved up, Entire towns get evacuated & submerged to make way, Hydroelectric scemes also eventually run rivers dry.

Wind power is clean but does not generate a great deal of power, One wind turbine will power 200 housholds if those households have ultra conservative consumption.

200 households sounds like alot but then many cities have millions, For maximum effectiveness Wind turbines must be space atleast 5 metres apart, meaning that even a very few wind turbines will take up much space, For a Wind farm to be as productive as an average coal burning power station it would need to cover a ground space equivalent to a large city.

Solar power is only 15% efficient at best(50% efficient in space with no atmosphere to distort light) meaning it is quite literally impossible to run a state on just solar let alone a nation.

Solar energy is not as clean as you may think, The energy production is quite clean but the manufacturing process of solar panels is extremely toxic, Solar Panel making & Silicon processing are equal for both being the second most poluting industry there is, An average commercial scale solar panel factory spews out a greater lever of toxicity in a single day than a coal burning power station does in 3 weeks.

On the weekend I'll post a big topic concerning Energy & fuel on either the political BBS or the Main BBS.

WadeFulp
WadeFulp
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Staff
Level 30
Animator
Response to Renewable Energy and stuff... Jul. 30th, 2001 @ 09:28 AM Reply

At 7/29/01 06:32 AM, Pantomime_Horse wrote:

Hehe, good points! It seems most environmental wackos can never see the BIG picture. Yeah, solar is great, once you use a whole bunch of fossil fuels, and toxic crap to make them. Do people think the wind makes the wind turbines? I'm sure a lot of fossil fuels are used to melt down the metal used in their construction. Also, couldn't a huge field of those things be dangerous to migrating birds and such? Let's also not forget the ecological impact hydroelectric damns have on the ecosystem they flood out. There are a lot of man made lakes that flood out fertile farm lands, and all the fertilizer in the ground causes huge algae blooms, and ends up chocking the lakes, and killing any fish that may have been there. This results in huge expense and resources to clean it all out of the lakes. I think the future energy source will be the largest we have yet to tap into. That would be the frozen methane gas that is in huge quantities underneath the ocean floor. Right now it is dangerous to try to go after, because once exposed it rapidly evaporates back into a gas and rises to the surface, expelling large amounts of methane gas, a green house gas, into the atmosphere. If there was a large enough earth quake under the ocean, that exposed a lot of this frozen methane, the gas released would be far worse than anything we could imagine doing ourselves. A large release would start warming up the earth, which would cause the ocean temp to rise, and more of the frozen methane would become volatile and start to turn back into a gas. There have already been releases of this gas, and more lately from ocean drilling. There have been frozen chunks of the frozen gas retrived from the ocean, and it looks like a peice of compacted snow, however if ignited, it will burn like a piece of wood soaked in gasoline. There is more of this stuff than all the fossil fuels combines (natural gas, coal, wood, oil) People are so worried about our cars, and factories. Well, mother nature can do a whole lot more damage, in a whole lot less time. A large volcanic eruption, large releases of the frozen methane gas, all could do far more harm.

The methane gas is also suspected of being the cause for the disappearances of ships and planes in the Bermuda Triangle. When the gas bubbles to the surface, it can cause ships to loose their ability to float. Ocean drilling rigs, which float on the surface, often sink when they expose the frozen methane. When the gases rise into the air, if a plane were to fly through it, it would ignite it, creating a huge fire ball, which would destroy the plane. That's how these planes and ships vanish without a trace. It all makes to much sense, and these gases actively escape in that area.

Follow me on Twitter! TWITTER
Be my Facebook friend! FACEBOOK
Google+ Profile

artfag
artfag
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 02
Blank Slate
Response to Renewable Energy and stuff... Jul. 30th, 2001 @ 04:38 PM Reply

don't you people read?

DO NOT POST THE WHOLE QUOTE TO THE WHOLE THING IF YOU ARE REPLYING TO A SMALL SECTION O RIF IT'S A GENERIC TYPE REPLY.

ceraph
ceraph
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 04
Blank Slate
Response to Renewable Energy and stuff... Jul. 31st, 2001 @ 04:48 AM Reply

feeling anal are we?

Renewable Energy and stuff...

Ack-Londo
Ack-Londo
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 04
Blank Slate
Response to Renewable Energy and stuff... Aug. 8th, 2001 @ 01:09 PM Reply

i need a gun...I MEAN
environmentaly friendly, yea...im lost what were we talkin aboot again?

Renewable Energy and stuff...

MI4-REAL-2001
MI4-REAL-2001
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 60
Gamer
Response to Renewable Energy and stuff... Nov. 13th, 2001 @ 02:36 AM Reply

I agree, people need to get with the fucking program and recycle more.

DUDE4U
DUDE4U
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 39
Blank Slate
Response to Renewable Energy and stuff... Nov. 15th, 2001 @ 10:02 PM Reply

At 11/13/01 02:36 AM, MI4_REAL_2001 wrote: I agree, people need to get with the fucking program and recycle more.

I know right. We's r killin trees when we dont recycle paper. we kill the aminals when we don't recycle plastic

MI4-REAL-2001
MI4-REAL-2001
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 60
Gamer
Response to Renewable Energy and stuff... Nov. 29th, 2001 @ 06:34 AM Reply

At 11/15/01 10:02 PM, DUDE4U wrote:
At 11/13/01 02:36 AM, MI4_REAL_2001 wrote: I agree, people need to get with the fucking program and recycle more.
I know right. We's r killin trees when we dont recycle paper. we kill the aminals when we don't recycle plastic

Not to mention that we could run out of stuff (Plastic is nonrenewable, which means we run out of oil, were fucked, since it is made out of petroleum products) and that EVERYTHING WOILD COST MORE when a commodity turns low.

DUDE4U
DUDE4U
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 39
Blank Slate
Response to Renewable Energy and stuff... Nov. 30th, 2001 @ 03:58 AM Reply

At 11/29/01 06:34 AM, MI4_REAL_2001 wrote:
Not to mention that we could run out of stuff (Plastic is nonrenewable, which means we run out of oil, were fucked, since it is made out of petroleum products) and that EVERYTHING WOILD COST MORE when a commodity turns low.

let me remind people WE HAVE LIMITED OIL!!!!!! which means we can't just start blowing it on stupid shit.

The-DESTRUCTINATOR
The-DESTRUCTINATOR
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 01
Blank Slate
Response to Renewable Energy and stuff... Oct. 20th, 2007 @ 08:27 PM Reply

ha! post in the second page of a news thread! am i cool now or what???

also first post in this thread with a smiley.
but which one to use... im thinking kissy face... yeah.

W
WWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWW WWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWW WWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWW WWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWW WWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWW
W

BBS Signature
The-DESTRUCTINATOR
The-DESTRUCTINATOR
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 01
Blank Slate
Response to Renewable Energy and stuff... Oct. 20th, 2007 @ 08:29 PM Reply

wait some of these other posts have smileys too... how the hell is that? this thread is six years old...

W
WWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWW WWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWW WWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWW WWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWW WWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWW
W

BBS Signature