TomFulp
TomFulp
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Staff
Level 14
Game Developer
Renewable Energy and stuff... Jul. 28th, 2001 @ 02:34 AM Reply

Hey everybody! After living in the heart of Philadelphia for the past five years, I am finally moving out. I will still technically be in Philadelphia, but will be living a more suburban lifestyle (for now) - my new apartment is in Mt. Airy! Are there any NG fans in the Chestnut Hill / Mt. Airy vicinity?

Since everyone associates Newgrounds with "very bad things", I thought it would be nice to give some environment-friendly advice. Just because Newgrounds doesn't blame the media for America's problems doesn't mean we don't give a shit. There are a lot of ways you can help this country, and still enjoy brutally violent and sexually explicit entertainment!

For example, I will be using 100% renewable energy in my new apartment. I am getting it from greenmountain.com, who creates electricity from cleaner sources like wind, water, sun and natural gas. Renewable energy is slightly more expensive, but it works wonders for our environment. You can even use 50% renewable energy if you can't afford better!

Is anyone else out there using renewable energy? Anyone else plan to after reading this? If you don't pay the electric bill in your house, you can always convince your parents to! Go to greenmountain.com and read up on the benefits! No, they aren't paying me to say this - I'm just trying to do some good! :)

If you are already using renewable energy, check out our new Mega Man Collection page!

This is the game JohnnyUtah and I have been working on.

BBS Signature
Pico
Pico
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 07
Blank Slate
Response to Renewable Energy and stuff... Jul. 28th, 2001 @ 02:42 AM Reply

0 replies eh? This shows what the users think about that gaymountain website that you are sucking up to...

NastyMan069
NastyMan069
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 18
Blank Slate
Response to Renewable Energy and stuff... Jul. 28th, 2001 @ 02:46 AM Reply

have u had any problems with greenmountain electricity (blackouts, brown outs, shit like that)?

oh yeah, nice thing u did with the frontpage music!

Renewable Energy and stuff...

angelicdestiny
angelicdestiny
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 02
Blank Slate
Response to Renewable Energy and stuff... Jul. 28th, 2001 @ 02:50 AM Reply

At 7/28/01 02:34 AM, TomFulp wrote: Hey everybody! After living in the heart of Philadelphia for the past five years, I am finally moving out. I will still technically be in Philadelphia, but will be living a more suburban lifestyle (for now) - my new apartment is in Mt. Airy! Are there any NG fans in the Chestnut Hill / Mt. Airy vicinity?

Since everyone associates Newgrounds with "very bad things", I thought it would be nice to give some environment-friendly advice. Just because Newgrounds doesn't blame the media for America's problems doesn't mean we don't give a shit. There are a lot of ways you can help this country, and still enjoy brutally violent and sexually explicit entertainment!

For example, I will be using 100% renewable energy in my new apartment. I am getting it from greenmountain.com, who creates electricity from cleaner sources like wind, water, sun and natural gas. Renewable energy is slightly more expensive, but it works wonders for our environment. You can even use 50% renewable energy if you can't afford better!

Is anyone else out there using renewable energy? Anyone else plan to after reading this? If you don't pay the electric bill in your house, you can always convince your parents to! Go to greenmountain.com and read up on the benefits! No, they aren't paying me to say this - I'm just trying to do some good! :)

If you are already using renewable energy, check out our new Mega Man Collection page!

good deal, i think ill take a look into this (greenmountain.com). thanks :o)

Dremen
Dremen
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 08
Blank Slate
Response to Renewable Energy and stuff... Jul. 28th, 2001 @ 02:56 AM Reply

Yeah... I don't really give a fuck about renewable energy, but what's the story on the new background music? You never seemed to mention it in your post.

AlphaFactor
AlphaFactor
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 31
Blank Slate
Response to Renewable Energy and stuff... Jul. 28th, 2001 @ 02:57 AM Reply

Heh. I'm holding out for when one of them 50mpg hybrid cars are cheap enough to get without having to fork over my first-born.

Razoric
Razoric
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 13
Game Developer
Response to Renewable Energy and stuff... Jul. 28th, 2001 @ 02:59 AM Reply

I'll look into greenmountain and see what's up.
Oh and someone mentioned this already but... the new background music... is... well... I liked the old one better. Actually I miss your background music from the older site design. That music was sweet!
Kick ass, a megaman section... I'll be there for a while.
later

btw.... you gonna update your network page anytime soon? :) :)

mattymetro
mattymetro
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 60
Melancholy
Response to Renewable Energy and stuff... Jul. 28th, 2001 @ 03:00 AM Reply

Hey Tom. What are your views on animal rights? Renewable energy is ++. I live in Baltimore and we use a lot of solar power around the way. Keep up the + werk.

The-Reveiwer
The-Reveiwer
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 05
Blank Slate
Response to Renewable Energy and stuff... Jul. 28th, 2001 @ 03:04 AM Reply

Sounds like a good deal. Specly down here in the big C and A. Energy crisis and all. See if M&D will be interested. Some people dont give a crap what they do to the place where they exist. Bleh. Thanx for posting and nice stuff you did with the FP music. Shok rules. Although...remember bak in the old days? Where we could change trax? Just a suggestion, maybe you should put that back up...peacers. Im out. Plane leaves for Maui at 7:50, I have to wake mom and dad up at 2:00 and head over to San Francisco, then board and go to sleep for a couple of ours. Ciao. Iyts about 12:00, ack!

untitled
untitled
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 04
Blank Slate
Response to Renewable Energy and stuff... Jul. 28th, 2001 @ 03:14 AM Reply

At 7/28/01 02:42 AM, Pico wrote: 0 replies eh? This shows what the users think about that gaymountain website that you are sucking up to...

Well you posted this 8 minutes after he posted. Haha, good one smart ass.

Daffster
Daffster
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 09
Blank Slate
Response to Renewable Energy and stuff... Jul. 28th, 2001 @ 03:34 AM Reply

Beeing a brit (dont flame me; i didnt choose it) I wanted to say that I'm impressed by your 'green streak' - over here we get charged a shitload on fuel in taxes; I hear there are protests in america over increases that bring your tax level to about 10% of what we already pay.
At a recent summit for world ecology America refused to play ball - they (the diplomats involved) were the only ones - every other country agreed to limit emissions or play some role in reducing the effects of modern day living on the ecology.
Im not slagging anyone off, just saying that I am pleasantly surprised to find you backing such an initiative, and unlike some of the cynical people before me my reaction is simply 'good on you'.

hoagiejones
hoagiejones
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 13
Blank Slate
Response to Renewable Energy and stuff... Jul. 28th, 2001 @ 04:00 AM Reply

hmm, California has no energy. California Sad.

<deleted>
Response to Renewable Energy and stuff... Jul. 28th, 2001 @ 05:36 AM Reply

TOM PLEASE COULD YOU GET WADE TO TAKE PICS OF YOUR NEW HOME AND WRITE STUFF BOUT IT LIKE HE DID WITH THE OTHER ONE!!!!!!
PLEASE TOMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMM

THANKS

Mike27112
Mike27112
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 60
Blank Slate
Response to Renewable Energy and stuff... Jul. 28th, 2001 @ 10:18 AM Reply

Good shit, Tom. Nice job choosing a more ecologically friendly energy source. I think it's important that we preserve the environment because I sure as hell don't want to live on the moon (not to mention that it isn't even viable as an alternative). It disappoints me that there are so many people in America (the world even) that don't give a shit otherwise...shows us all how ignorant some people truly are. We got one planet, let's do our best not to fuck it all up.

G-Hawk
G-Hawk
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 13
Blank Slate
Response to Renewable Energy and stuff... Jul. 28th, 2001 @ 11:32 AM Reply

At 7/28/01 02:34 AM, TomFulp wrote:

Since everyone associates Newgrounds with "very bad things", I thought it would be nice to give some environment-friendly advice.

You'd think he'd actually post an update based on the new music.....I mean, why NOT talk about it? Poor Shok...he did all that work for Tom...and he hasn't been mentioned for it.....yet.

WhopperMan
WhopperMan
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 21
Blank Slate
Response to Renewable Energy and stuff... Jul. 28th, 2001 @ 11:38 AM Reply

Hey Tom, I really don't give a crap that you are moving, I just wanted to say good job on changing the frontpage music.

Kurt-Reznor
Kurt-Reznor
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 12
Blank Slate
Response to Renewable Energy and stuff... Jul. 28th, 2001 @ 01:05 PM Reply

It's so good to see that you're giving back to the world after taking so very, very, very much away.
By the way, where can I send movies that are too big to send into the portal the old fashioned way? What is the email address, because I've sent it a while ago but haven't seen it up here yet.

GunPanther
GunPanther
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 60
Writer
Response to Renewable Energy and stuff... Jul. 28th, 2001 @ 01:15 PM Reply

Well Tom, I think it's really great that you finally get a place that YOU can call your own. Congrats, man. BTW, I REALLY LIKE the updated "Newgrounds.COM" theme song! Much better than the previous one!

artfag
artfag
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 02
Blank Slate
Response to Renewable Energy and stuff... Jul. 28th, 2001 @ 01:31 PM Reply

Word, living in Philly can be rough. I know I hate just driving through it. But hey you gotta do what you gotta do. Now you can try to be on one of those gay commercials for Mt. Airy Lodge. Or something like that.

That's pretty cool that you're using that energy, if I had a say over the energy that's going to be used at Penn State I'd probably look into it. But I'm sure they couldn't give a rats ass about energy.

Yeah , SO I'm kinda in the Mt Airy region, Oh I don't know, Pennsylvania, it's all the same to me.

Big-Charge
Big-Charge
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 06
Blank Slate
Response to Renewable Energy and stuff... Jul. 28th, 2001 @ 02:28 PM Reply

At 7/28/01 02:34 AM, TomFulp wrote: Hey everybody! After living in the heart of Philadelphia for the past five years, I am finally moving out. I will still technically be in Philadelphia, but will be living a more suburban lifestyle (for now) - my new apartment is in Mt. Airy! Are there any NG fans in the Chestnut Hill / Mt. Airy vicinity?

Nice that you make an effort, but it won't help 'till everyone else does. Nice FP music! BTW, in you previous post about DSL and such, don't get cable in the States, get DSL. And hack cable like me. =) I also know you're paying a shit load of money for hosting, why don't you and Wade and the crew host yourself? What you pay in a month you could use the $ to get all the nessicary stuff...

GiR
GiR
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 04
Blank Slate
Response to Renewable Energy and stuff... Jul. 28th, 2001 @ 03:00 PM Reply

Hmmmm... renewable energy, eh? Well, that might be a good idea because I live in Cali w/ the "energy crisis"

Oh well. ^^ ... Tom, YER MY IDOL!!! YOU RULE!!!

--GiR

Fat-Master-Flash
Fat-Master-Flash
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 06
Blank Slate
Response to Renewable Energy and stuff... Jul. 28th, 2001 @ 03:05 PM Reply

see you in philadelphia, ill be moving there in 3 years.

ShyGuyClock
ShyGuyClock
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 12
Blank Slate
Response to Renewable Energy and stuff... Jul. 28th, 2001 @ 06:52 PM Reply

yeah, thats great Tom. I just came here to say that the new music rox. the old stuff was way to repetitive and kinda sucked. the new stuff is way better, even though it just sounds like a remix.

jonno
jonno
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 16
Blank Slate
Response to Renewable Energy and stuff... Jul. 28th, 2001 @ 08:39 PM Reply

At 7/28/01 02:34 AM, TomFulp wrote: Are there any NG fans in the Chestnut Hill / Mt. Airy vicinity?

I live pretty close to Mt. Airy/Chestnut Hill, but ALL of my friends live there. By the way, I dig the new Music

BrooklynBrett
BrooklynBrett
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 29
Blank Slate
Response to Renewable Energy and stuff... Jul. 29th, 2001 @ 01:33 AM Reply

Tom, love ya, love the site, but this darn hippy environmental garbage has got to go. The earth is not wasting away to hell like the media would have you believe. There's no need to conserve energy unless you're a moron californian voter that voted that no new power plants be built. Envirtonmentalism is crap, and if i'm wrong, tell me. brett.jensen@juno.com Come on, kids. Seriously.

Pantomime-Horse
Pantomime-Horse
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 16
Blank Slate
Response to Renewable Energy and stuff... Jul. 29th, 2001 @ 06:32 AM Reply

At 7/28/01 02:34 AM, TomFulp wrote: I thought it would be nice to give some environment-friendly advice. Just because Newgrounds doesn't blame the media for America's problems doesn't mean we don't give a shit. There are a lot of ways you can help this country, and still enjoy brutally violent and sexually explicit entertainment!

For example, I will be using 100% renewable energy in my new apartment.

You may be paying your bills to the people who generate green power But your really don't have a choice where the power is coming from, all commercial power stations must be part of a National Grid which means although you're paying the green company your energy is still coming from every power plant in the nation green or not green.

Natural Gas is Clean(Only bi-products are water vapour & CO2 but sufficient trees will sort that) but it's not renewable(well actually everything is renewable but it takes thousands of years to come back) & it still comes from a frigging big hole in the ground.

By water power I'll assume you mean Hydroelectricity, It is very efficient & very clean but It has massive geographical impact, rivers must be dammed, the earth but be carved up, Entire towns get evacuated & submerged to make way, Hydroelectric scemes also eventually run rivers dry.

Wind power is clean but does not generate a great deal of power, One wind turbine will power 200 housholds if those households have ultra conservative consumption.

200 households sounds like alot but then many cities have millions, For maximum effectiveness Wind turbines must be space atleast 5 metres apart, meaning that even a very few wind turbines will take up much space, For a Wind farm to be as productive as an average coal burning power station it would need to cover a ground space equivalent to a large city.

Solar power is only 15% efficient at best(50% efficient in space with no atmosphere to distort light) meaning it is quite literally impossible to run a state on just solar let alone a nation.

Solar energy is not as clean as you may think, The energy production is quite clean but the manufacturing process of solar panels is extremely toxic, Solar Panel making & Silicon processing are equal for both being the second most poluting industry there is, An average commercial scale solar panel factory spews out a greater lever of toxicity in a single day than a coal burning power station does in 3 weeks.

Pantomime-Horse
Pantomime-Horse
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 16
Blank Slate
Response to Renewable Energy and stuff... Jul. 29th, 2001 @ 06:45 AM Reply

At 7/29/01 06:32 AM, Pantomime_Horse wrote:
At 7/28/01 02:34 AM, TomFulp wrote: I thought it would be nice to give some environment-friendly advice. Just because Newgrounds doesn't blame the media for America's problems doesn't mean we don't give a shit. There are a lot of ways you can help this country, and still enjoy brutally violent and sexually explicit entertainment!

For example, I will be using 100% renewable energy in my new apartment.
You may be paying your bills to the people who generate green power But your really don't have a choice where the power is coming from, all commercial power stations must be part of a National Grid which means although you're paying the green company your energy is still coming from every power plant in the nation green or not green.

The only way to be truely using green energy is to not have any power company you are paying, Rip the powerline off your house & run exclusively off your own generators & Solar panels.

TomFulp
TomFulp
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Staff
Level 14
Game Developer
Response to Renewable Energy and stuff... Jul. 29th, 2001 @ 10:11 AM Reply

At 7/28/01 11:32 AM, G-Hawk wrote:
At 7/28/01 02:34 AM, TomFulp wrote:
Since everyone associates Newgrounds with "very bad things", I thought it would be nice to give some environment-friendly advice.

You'd think he'd actually post an update based on the new music.....I mean, why NOT talk about it? Poor Shok...he did all that work for Tom...and he hasn't been mentioned for it.....yet.

I feel really bad about that now... I had been planning to do the post about renewable energy all week, but put it off until last night... I should have talked about the new music first, though.

-Tom

BBS Signature
TomFulp
TomFulp
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Staff
Level 14
Game Developer
Response to Renewable Energy and stuff... Jul. 29th, 2001 @ 10:12 AM Reply

At 7/28/01 01:05 PM, Mr_Self_Destruct wrote: It's so good to see that you're giving back to the world after taking so very, very, very much away.
By the way, where can I send movies that are too big to send into the portal the old fashioned way? What is the email address, because I've sent it a while ago but haven't seen it up here yet.

You can send them to tom@newgrounds.com. The Portal limit is currently 5 megs, so if your movie is more than that, it better be good! :)

-Tom

BBS Signature
Rocka003
Rocka003
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 06
Blank Slate
Response to Renewable Energy and stuff... Jul. 29th, 2001 @ 11:14 AM Reply

Hey man.....I was born and rasied in South Jersey...i neva knew u were from Philly