00:00
00:00
Newgrounds Background Image Theme

SpeakyDooman just joined the crew!

We need you on the team, too.

Support Newgrounds and get tons of perks for just $2.99!

Create a Free Account and then..

Become a Supporter!

Bad generic dance is all the rage!

4,302 Views | 54 Replies
New Topic Respond to this Topic

Response to Bad generic dance is all the rage! 2009-09-10 10:11:21

So could we get some suggestions maybe?

Response to Bad generic dance is all the rage! 2009-09-10 11:53:20

We already have a lot of suggestions in a thread somewhere. The chance of a lot of them getting implemented anytime soon is very little. We just have to deal with what we have for right now.

Response to Bad generic dance is all the rage! 2009-09-10 18:55:55

The majority of NG users is somewhere below 18 years so I'm not really surprised of seeing ABC music here being popular. Once they grow up they'll look out for something more sophisticated. I've heard a lot about studies that someone's musical taste is somehow dependent on a persons IQ.

Denny Schneidemesser, composer for Film & Media. www.dennyschneidemesser.com

Response to Bad generic dance is all the rage! 2009-09-11 03:48:14

At 9/10/09 06:55 PM, Danman87 wrote: musical taste is somehow dependent on a persons IQ.

Haha, I'd love to see the scale for that.

IQ . . . . . . Genre
. . . 0 - 30: Rap
. . 30 - 60: Pop
150 - 200: >9000 BPM Extratone IDM Glitchcore

etc.

Response to Bad generic dance is all the rage! 2009-09-12 09:37:58

Well, I am 16 and I spend hours and hours making my music and it is some how still bad haha. Although I am making a (I think) a really good song. But I do agree, 14 year olds, presets, compression, 4 chords = Chaos.

BBS Signature

Response to Bad generic dance is all the rage! 2009-09-12 12:15:16

At 9/11/09 03:48 AM, blackduckie wrote:
At 9/10/09 06:55 PM, Danman87 wrote: musical taste is somehow dependent on a persons IQ.
Haha, I'd love to see the scale for that.

IQ . . . . . . Genre
. . . 0 - 30: Rap
. . 30 - 60: Pop
150 - 200: >9000 BPM Extratone IDM Glitchcore

etc.

thats not even true. the reason newgrounds audio portal sucks is because of ignorant fucks like you who make blanket statements to make themselves feel like theyre actually accomplished in making music. not to single you out, but dont say stupid shit like that. few people on the audio portal actually know what theyre talking about, they just pull shit out of their ass to sound smart.

Response to Bad generic dance is all the rage! 2009-09-12 14:04:00

I was generaly pointing on the people that make a whole genre evolution through during their teenage years. I haven't said that I fully buy the IQ theories, but it's still interesting to look at it if you don't take it too seriously. In my oppinion it's somehow dependent on your musical direction (beat or melody musician), this will rather lead you to a genre. And seriously, what's up with all the swearing...

Response to Bad generic dance is all the rage! 2009-09-12 15:44:41

then again if anyone here listens to country, seriously go fuck yourself, crawl in a hole and die

it's Tennessee Bird Walk
chirp chirp
chirp chirp
chirp chirp

so closed-minded

Response to Bad generic dance is all the rage! 2009-09-12 19:08:04

thats popular music it pisses me of too
im not one to talk and i havent even set up my audio interface yet i bet mi gunna be twice as shit as they are but when people think green day is better than joe satriani or nickelback is the best band put together its pretty sad

Response to Bad generic dance is all the rage! 2009-09-12 21:27:32

At 9/12/09 09:37 AM, djsumara wrote: Well, I am 16 and I spend hours and hours making my music and it is some how still bad haha. Although I am making a (I think) a really good song. But I do agree, 14 year olds, presets, compression, 4 chords = Chaos.

Do you actually know how to play an instrument? I think a lot of the users here just have fruity-loops or what-have-you and don't really know how to put together harmonies, read sheet music, etc.

Granted fruity loops makes it easy to edit MIDIs, but I still prefer notational software beforehand to create those MIDIs before anything else. It makes the process much more musical. I dunno, just throwing that out there since it seems that a lot of these submissions demonstrate bad habits. I'm new here, by the way, so yea.

BBS Signature

Response to Bad generic dance is all the rage! 2009-09-13 07:15:45

At 9/12/09 09:27 PM, iHeartQuistis wrote:
At 9/12/09 09:37 AM, djsumara wrote: Well, I am 16 and I spend hours and hours making my music and it is some how still bad haha. Although I am making a (I think) a really good song. But I do agree, 14 year olds, presets, compression, 4 chords = Chaos.
Do you actually know how to play an instrument? I think a lot of the users here just have fruity-loops or what-have-you and don't really know how to put together harmonies, read sheet music, etc.

Not all of them on here use fruity loops. A lot of AF regulars use a different program, like Reason, Cubase, Ableton live, Logic, etc. This is place where you find the good stuff, all hidden from the bombage.

Response to Bad generic dance is all the rage! 2009-09-13 09:30:40

At 9/12/09 01:10 PM, Bjra wrote: then again if anyone here listens to country, seriously go fuck yourself, crawl in a hole and die

Irony is delicious, ain't it?

I can't even tell if it was me or Danman87 who was being flamed, but if it was me, seriously, it was a joke. =/

Response to Bad generic dance is all the rage! 2009-09-13 15:06:03

I actually dont even submit anything. I just open newgrounds then open and close my laptop until a dust particle flies in between the screen and the keys and somehow hits enter and creates a song for me.

At 3/27/11 10:22 PM, sugarsimon wrote:

the brilliant songs who create a production for music

Wat

Response to Bad generic dance is all the rage! 2009-09-13 16:20:32

At 9/8/09 10:50 PM, DJRAV3N wrote: LOLZ PPl take NG audio srsly LOLZZZZZZZ.

Everybody knows all the real talent can be found at Euroadrenaline.

J/K J/K.

1. Anyways yes mostly everyone on the top 5 is a beginner. hell, i have only been producing for 4 months myself. So I mean srry we cant all sound like teisto or Rob Mayth. which brings me to my second point.

2. who are u comparing the top 5 to?

3. Also, the only thing you can do is try to get passed it and keep producing. since NG isnt about Quaity its about who can spam the most for 5's.

DONT TELL THEM!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
!!!

#^&# Too late :(

anyway, i just use NG, so i can see views and stuff.... popularity is always nice, NG is here, for me, just for moral support...

BBS Signature

Response to Bad generic dance is all the rage! 2009-09-13 16:34:20

I think songs with four chords are awesome if they are organized correctly. I mean, seven chords in a key, how much more are you going to deal with unless your throwing in some key changes? People who are "theory theory theory" often stop writing with their own *oomph* too, and their songs begin to sound like the soundtrack to Harry Potter. I think this discourages people to make music, and if your discouraging other people, your probably going to pay in the end.

Never stop creating.

Discord

Links

BBS Signature

Response to Bad generic dance is all the rage! 2009-09-13 18:31:21

At 9/13/09 07:15 AM, Sealander wrote:
At 9/12/09 09:27 PM, iHeartQuistis wrote:
Not all of them on here use fruity loops. A lot of AF regulars use a different program, like Reason, Cubase, Ableton live, Logic, etc. This is place where you find the good stuff, all hidden from the bombage.

Well, I use fruity loops b/c it's free and I can easily upload my MIDI and expound upon it. I would use something else, but for now it seems to do the trick.

BBS Signature

Response to Bad generic dance is all the rage! 2009-09-13 20:18:30

At 9/13/09 06:00 PM, Bjra wrote: LOL yeah, even "original, well orchestrated and key change and progression rich music" is all starting to sound the same these days. take that smug theory book humpers

You don't even need theory knowledge for that IMO, a good ear and feeling for your progression does a lot. You'll also find some incredibly creative soundtracks out there if you don't just look at the more popular scores.

Response to Bad generic dance is all the rage! 2009-09-14 00:10:41

At 9/13/09 08:18 PM, Danman87 wrote: You don't even need theory knowledge for that IMO, a good ear and feeling for your progression does a lot.

Yeah, totally. I was composing in the Minor key LONG before I even knew what it was.

Also, I don't mind theory, but I hate all the arbitrary laws that classical musicians have put into it. There's hardly any room for creativity if you're bound by classical laws.

Response to Bad generic dance is all the rage! 2009-09-14 01:54:49

At 9/14/09 12:10 AM, blackduckie wrote:
At 9/13/09 08:18 PM, Danman87 wrote: You don't even need theory knowledge for that IMO, a good ear and feeling for your progression does a lot.
Yeah, totally. I was composing in the Minor key LONG before I even knew what it was.

Also, I don't mind theory, but I hate all the arbitrary laws that classical musicians have put into it. There's hardly any room for creativity if you're bound by classical laws.

That's why you learn about theory to help progress your own originality. I typically don't see that many people with a sharp knowledge of theory being the critical types. It seems a lot of the more ignorant musicians throw out their un-educated opinions when it comes to rating.

Being analyzed by somebody with an open-mind and strong knowledge on the subject can be the best help to improving your work.

BBS Signature

Response to Bad generic dance is all the rage! 2009-09-14 05:15:01

so what are these 4 chords ?

im sick of trying to make something awesomely original and it falling in the last bar or two because i cant get my chords to link properly and sound good together, im over it

i wanna know these 4 chords that are gaurented to bring me instant success

Response to Bad generic dance is all the rage! 2009-09-14 07:28:46

The bass line should go like this C, G, A, F. lol

Response to Bad generic dance is all the rage! 2009-09-14 08:52:04

At 9/14/09 05:15 AM, Cobdogger wrote: im sick of trying to make something awesomely original and it falling in the last bar or two because i cant get my chords to link properly and sound good together, im over it

Well, I thought the four chords were C, A Flat, E Flat and B Flat, although I may be wrong.
If you can't get notes to sound right together then maybe you should study harmony or something. Or you could do it the easy (and fun) way where you listen to a lot of music with working harmonies in it and develop an ear for them.

Or maybe I could help?

Response to Bad generic dance is all the rage! 2009-09-14 17:05:11

Well, maybe I wasn't as specific as I should have been... If your a theory guy who is recording music, playing shows, then I think your music will be stale. If your producing electronic music, and have never picked up an instrument before, I guess your forced to learn about theory, but you can't just make any sound using software programs either. Bjra is right, its all opinion I guess. I this thread title is pretty misleading as well since there are so many aspects of music, minimalist, through progressive jazz. Just because someone has studied theory won't make them have a good ear for music unless maybe they've taken a class where your forced to use your ears or something, BUT even then, thats not something that can really be applied to music just because you can chunk out a few intervals.

Never stop creating.

Discord

Links

BBS Signature

Response to Bad generic dance is all the rage! 2009-09-15 20:32:48

At 9/12/09 12:15 PM, DaGrahamCraka wrote: thats not even true. the reason newgrounds audio portal sucks is because of ignorant fucks like you who make blanket statements to make themselves feel like theyre actually accomplished in making music. not to single you out, but dont say stupid shit like that. few people on the audio portal actually know what theyre talking about, they just pull shit out of their ass to sound smart.

hell yeah man. this calls for a fucking high five situation.

although I kind of could see how the argument on how complexity of music in relation to IQ, formed. The Asian orchestra kids are all in honors classes. Hannah Montana is aimed at younger audiences. Nursery rhymes and children tunes are simple for a reason, and I havent found anyone who likes "bad generic dance" thats 25+, but then you could argue thats because this type of music is relatively new.

BBS Signature

Response to Bad generic dance is all the rage! 2009-09-16 20:30:12

At 9/15/09 08:32 PM, S3C wrote: I havent found anyone who likes "bad generic dance" thats 25+, but then you could argue thats because this type of music is relatively new.

I think its all in the "Ear of the beholder" LMFAO.

Wyldfyre1