00:00
00:00
Newgrounds Background Image Theme

GodsPurpose just joined the crew!

We need you on the team, too.

Support Newgrounds and get tons of perks for just $2.99!

Create a Free Account and then..

Become a Supporter!

Mwc9: Sep: Poetry!: Talk

7,369 Views | 93 Replies

Mwc9: Sep: Poetry!: Talk 2009-09-03 17:04:53

Please limit all discussion of this month's writing competition to this thread. Please wait to post here until the official contest rules have been posted and linked to in the next post. Thank you. @;-}>

Wi/Ht regular|Elite Guard Barracks Member|Idiot-Buster-Elite Guard Sup. Commander

BBS Signature

Response to Mwc9: Sep: Poetry!: Talk 2009-09-03 17:15:37

At 9/3/09 05:04 PM, idiot-buster wrote: Please limit all discussion of this month's writing competition to this thread. Please wait to post here until the official contest rules have been posted and linked to in the next post. Thank you. @;-}>

Here it is: have fun!

Wi/Ht regular|Elite Guard Barracks Member|Idiot-Buster-Elite Guard Sup. Commander

BBS Signature

Response to Mwc9: Sep: Poetry!: Talk 2009-09-03 17:18:46

This is going to be interesting and probably very hard to judge. Placing different styles of poetry next to each other and trying to determine which is better is going to be a challenge. Best of luck to all. This is going to be fun!

II II lI

BBS Signature

Response to Mwc9: Sep: Poetry!: Talk 2009-09-03 17:20:56

At 9/3/09 05:13 PM, Guest8792 wrote:
Also why you need 2 threads to talk about 1 thing?

One thread in which to submit your poem and nothing else (no chit-chat) and another thread to talk about the contest in general.

Also, I've never written a poem in my life, so this should be interesting.

there once was a man from Nantucket...

BBS Signature

Response to Mwc9: Sep: Poetry!: Talk 2009-09-03 17:37:06

My rough draft Haiku on Michael Jackson... thoughts?

He was a true king
And like the Caesar from Rome
He touched little kids

OMG I AM ORIGINAL AND FUNNY!

II II lI

BBS Signature

Response to Mwc9: Sep: Poetry!: Talk 2009-09-03 17:43:33

At 9/3/09 05:37 PM, ForNoReason wrote: My rough draft Haiku on Michael Jackson... thoughts?

No not really. This has been said about him som meny times it's just not funny at all. Really in my opinion his great music out does all the alligations against him. So knock it off.

BBS Signature

Response to Mwc9: Sep: Poetry!: Talk 2009-09-03 17:50:53

At 9/3/09 05:43 PM, idiot-buster wrote:
At 9/3/09 05:37 PM, ForNoReason wrote: My rough draft Haiku on Michael Jackson... thoughts?
No not really. This has been said about him som meny times it's just not funny at all. Really in my opinion his great music out does all the alligations against him. So knock it off.

Sarcasm is a wonderful thing.

II II lI

BBS Signature

Response to Mwc9: Sep: Poetry!: Talk 2009-09-03 17:50:54

As always, an interesting idea. It'll be useful to see how this pans out, seeing as I don't know if any poetry-based competitions have been attempted before here, so like you say, going off the results... things can be done accordingly in the future. I am a bit confused as to how this might be tackled ultimately, what with the original structure of the thing and the large amount of options as far as style goes, but I'm sure you guys know what you're doing for now.

So as usual, good luck to everyone. While I'm in no position whatsoever to give advice as such, playing around with your ideas a bit first might work out better than if you didn't... and you might want to be careful with that free verse option. Seriously, I like to think I've learnt from my own mistakes with that one, as much as I enjoy it otherwise.

I don't think I'll be entering, which is frustrating actually. I've not been a part of the previous two contests as it is, and I feel as though I've let myself down there, as well as some people who've asked me to help out before. I'd like to say it's because I've been busy with my own idea, but it's also been because I've been too tired, too drunk, too edgy over this university stuff, whatever. Hopefully I can get this thing of my own sorted (which seems to be taking forever at this rate) and then I can get back into the community here as an entrant or a judge, or whatever.

Just for the Hell of it, here's a crude limerick off the top of my head as a sign of what might not be so good...

There once was a man from York,
who was quite the unlovable dork.
As the nights went around,
so did the sound
of the popping of the very last cork.

Yeah, I know.

Response to Mwc9: Sep: Poetry!: Talk 2009-09-03 17:54:00

Poetry Jam time, I'm most likely going to use Free Verse. I have a question though, can I use limericks to tell a story, meaning I use more than one.

Response to Mwc9: Sep: Poetry!: Talk 2009-09-03 18:01:08

Sweet, poetry alway's a great thing.

After missing a few writing contests, I think I'll enter this one.

Watch out, some left field like things might happen.

New to Politics?/ Friend of the Devil/ I review writing! PM me

"Question everything generally thought to be obvious."-Dieter Rams

BBS Signature

Response to Mwc9: Sep: Poetry!: Talk 2009-09-03 20:19:59

Should be a blast. I can't decide who I'd rather write about. It is Freddie Mercury, I don't know if I could do him poetic justice. Or David King of Flogging Molly since most of his music is the best poetry I've heard. I already wrote about it for the contest in May though, I don't know how I would feel if I repeated myself though.

I am a new terror born in death, a new superstition entering the unassailable fortress of forever. I am legend.

BBS Signature

Response to Mwc9: Sep: Poetry!: Talk 2009-09-03 20:35:59

Haiku rough draft at the moment...

Tsukiko Amano

Free to call your name
Voice groping the moonlight sky
See how well she flies

A person often meets his destiny on the road he took to avoid it. ~Jean de La Fontaine

Response to Mwc9: Sep: Poetry!: Talk 2009-09-03 20:50:42

Here is rough of my limerick.

John Lennon
There was a man from Liverpool.
He grew up and was no man's fool.
He played the guitar
Inspired those from afar
U.S. couldn't handle his cool

Response to Mwc9: Sep: Poetry!: Talk 2009-09-03 21:35:27

I'm actually not a huge fan of the theme, writing about famous people who write/make music? I dunno, to me it just seems like a bit of a fanboyish thing to do.
But enough about that, I'm intrigued by your "well known" comment in the restrictions part of the entries thread. If I'm writing about a musician/lyricist, I'd go with the songwriter for Augie March, Glenn Richards. The band is quite popular here in Australia, but I doubt many Americans or Europeans would have heard of them. So, they're in between local band and what you'd percieve as "well known". Could I use Glenn Richards as my source material or not?

READ: "A Fear of Great Heights" and other forthcoming adventures right HERE

Signature Picture by: Spartan204

BBS Signature

Response to Mwc9: Sep: Poetry!: Talk 2009-09-03 22:37:22

Ya you can use the artist if he is known in your country
sorry for the short responce. I'm on a ituch.

BBS Signature

Response to Mwc9: Sep: Poetry!: Talk 2009-09-03 22:48:51

I'm a little disappointed in the topic of the contest... It seem that with famous musical artists, you're left with either A: sounding like a pussy, because you made a REAL poem about what you admire in them, or B: resorting to funny poems about MJ or Lady Gaga.

Before I write anything for this, I'd like to know specifically what the judges are looking for, funny/overused, or obsessive/fanboy bullshit?

I think it's safe to say, love of one form or another is what inspires every great song, even if it's love of humanity, and you're John Mayer, singin' about how the world needs a change.

So I guess I'm asking, how are you supposed to do justice to any artist while writing about them, with love, and not sounding too cleche/corny?

If I'm the only one that feels this way, then I guess that this competition is not for me...

Although if it's supposed to be a humor based poem, I might take a go at it. But I'd rathe write about shit I can relate to/have experienced.

BBS Signature

Response to Mwc9: Sep: Poetry!: Talk 2009-09-03 23:11:02

I'm severely confused by the statement, "Poems must include a performance by one or multiple artists." What exactly do you mean by a "performance," like a song they wrote or what?

Also, if the band has released work with a major record label can we consider them "known?" Cause I'm gonna assume not a great deal of people have heard bands like Neutral Milk Hotel (check them out Here they're amazing!) or Explosions in the Sky (Check them too) but they've both been released work with major recording companies.

Proly gonna use Ian Curtis of Joy Division though cause I wrote a poem about his last night a couple months ago when I first heard of the band and got obsessed with them.

"I feel sorry for people who don't drink. When they wake up in the morning, that's as good as they're going to feel all day."

-Frank Sinatra

Response to Mwc9: Sep: Poetry!: Talk 2009-09-03 23:45:22

Will all the different types be judged as a whole or separate categories? I ask this cuz based off the theme and vastly different ways to go about it, most will have an advantage doing one way than another.

Will the judges be able to rate a 3-line poem and a 7-line poem the same way, knowing both require different structure and word choices to get the point across?

It seems this is what the one poster is questioning and I believe was brought up in that previous thread before. Poetry contest are very hard to do, especially with so many choices to choose from. It requires the judges to have knowledge on the different mediums as well as what makes it good in the certain medium and than overall.

A person often meets his destiny on the road he took to avoid it. ~Jean de La Fontaine

Response to Mwc9: Sep: Poetry!: Talk 2009-09-04 11:58:09

Sounds boring.

Response to Mwc9: Sep: Poetry!: Talk 2009-09-04 12:22:55

This too will pass.

Memento mori

BBS Signature

Response to Mwc9: Sep: Poetry!: Talk 2009-09-04 12:44:02

At 9/3/09 10:48 PM, MerlinsBeard wrote: Although if it's supposed to be a humor based poem, I might take a go at it. But I'd rathe write about shit I can relate to/have experienced.

It can be anything you want to write about, it could be funny. Or you could write something thet speaks of there flaws. You can write about things you can relate to and have experienced as long as it goes along with the contest in some way.

BBS Signature

Response to Mwc9: Sep: Poetry!: Talk 2009-09-04 12:53:41

At 9/4/09 12:44 PM, idiot-buster wrote:
Or you could write something thet speaks of there flaws.

Unless its about Michael Jackson....

Response to Mwc9: Sep: Poetry!: Talk 2009-09-04 19:36:12

Is anyone else going to enter or am I just gonna win all the prizes?

Response to Mwc9: Sep: Poetry!: Talk 2009-09-04 19:53:09

At 9/4/09 07:36 PM, Earthshine wrote: Is anyone else going to enter or am I just gonna win all the prizes?

No, I think I'm going to give you a run for your money. I'm sure that as a fellow poet you're as flabergasted as I am that people actually want to read poetry.

I have nothing against people who can use pot and lead a productive life. It's these sanctimonius hippies that make me wish I was a riot cop in the 60's

BBS Signature

Response to Mwc9: Sep: Poetry!: Talk 2009-09-04 22:57:51

It's good to see that we're getting some interest in this months contest. Though if you are thinking any of this is fanboyish i would not say it is. I thought it would be a good theme since writing poems would not spark any interest from the normal user. If you guys have any questions or ideas feel free to ask me and i will get to you when i'm on.

BBS Signature

Response to Mwc9: Sep: Poetry!: Talk 2009-09-09 01:19:22

I am making mine about Dr. Seuss. What a great man he was.

Response to Mwc9: Sep: Poetry!: Talk 2009-09-09 20:25:29

Ooooh! I love poetry! I shall make sure to create an epic you all won't soon forget!

Thanks aplenty to Phobotech for the great user icon.

BBS Signature

Response to Mwc9: Sep: Poetry!: Talk 2009-09-10 16:35:14

Ok guys, when you go to submit you piece to the entry thread please post what type of poem it is otherwise i will not count it. After this only. I will pm thoes who have not so far.... SO PLEASE READ!

BBS Signature

Response to Mwc9: Sep: Poetry!: Talk 2009-09-10 19:53:45

At 9/10/09 04:35 PM, idiot-buster wrote: Ok guys, when you go to submit you piece to the entry thread please post what type of poem it is otherwise i will not count it. After this only. I will pm thoes who have not so far.... SO PLEASE READ!

Damn I forgot to do that and now I can't edit it.....does that mean I wont count?

Response to Mwc9: Sep: Poetry!: Talk 2009-09-10 21:25:12

At 9/10/09 07:53 PM, truegamer1 wrote: Damn I forgot to do that and now I can't edit it.....does that mean I wont count?

It will count. I said anyone who does it after that post will most likely not be counted, if i find the time then maby they will.

BBS Signature