New Topic Respond to this Topic
Twone
Twone
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 35
Musician
Response to Progressive Musician's Corner 2009-12-16 20:37:54 Reply

Anyone like Gojira? They're not all over the place progressive, but I think they're prog metal.

BBS Signature
yodd
yodd
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 16
Blank Slate
Response to Progressive Musician's Corner 2009-12-17 01:09:00 Reply

At 12/16/09 08:37 PM, Twone wrote: Anyone like Gojira? They're not all over the place progressive, but I think they're prog metal.

They're alright. From Mars To Sirius is a great album, amazing album. But their other albums are just decent.

Anyways, prog band people should listen to.
UneXpecT, the weirdest, proggyest, french canadianist metal band around. They are quite heavy, so metal hates might not enjoy fully.

I still haven't forgiven the asians for pearl harbor.

Nev
Nev
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 09
Blank Slate
Response to Progressive Musician's Corner 2009-12-18 18:34:50 Reply

At 12/16/09 08:37 PM, Twone wrote: Anyone like Gojira? They're not all over the place progressive, but I think they're prog metal.

I like them. yodd summed it up perfectly though. FMtS is great. The others are average.
They were fantastic live a few months ago, I caught Joe's plectrum and grabbed it crotch :D.

At 12/17/09 01:09 AM, yodd wrote: Anyways, prog band people should listen to.
UneXpecT, the weirdest, proggyest, french canadianist metal band around. They are quite heavy, so metal hates might not enjoy fully.

I've known 'em for a while. Saw them supporting Opeth and Dream Theater in October. Was an alright show but the sound for them was incredibly muddy. Given their sound thats kinda understandable though.

Metal Hell ## Guitarists ## Stand Up Comedy
PSN: Look-a-Hill
Somewhere Over the Rainbow

BBS Signature
DeIirium
DeIirium
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 20
Melancholy
Response to Progressive Musician's Corner 2009-12-19 11:08:22 Reply

They're my favorite Death metal band, and i like all their albums, not just FMTS. The first 2 are not on the same level as FMTS and TWOAF though, which are perfect albums.

yodd
yodd
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 16
Blank Slate
Response to Progressive Musician's Corner 2009-12-19 13:38:54 Reply

At 12/18/09 06:34 PM, Nev wrote: I've known 'em for a while. Saw them supporting Opeth and Dream Theater in October. Was an alright show but the sound for them was incredibly muddy. Given their sound thats kinda understandable though.

Prog Nation Tour ftw. Saw it on its first year, bands were Dream Theater, Opeth, Between The Buried and Me, 3. Awesome, awesome show. I'm sure Unexpect sounding bad live is due to the fact they are an opening band and didn't have the best soundcheck, for a band like them it can make all the difference.

Also, prog.

I still haven't forgiven the asians for pearl harbor.

Nev
Nev
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 09
Blank Slate
Response to Progressive Musician's Corner 2009-12-19 14:36:24 Reply

At 12/19/09 01:38 PM, yodd wrote: I'm sure Unexpect sounding bad live is due to the fact they are an opening band and didn't have the best soundcheck, for a band like them it can make all the difference.

Indeed. But their music being cacophonous doesn't help much either.

BBS Signature
igott
igott
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 16
Blank Slate
Response to Progressive Musician's Corner 2009-12-19 23:30:09 Reply

At 12/19/09 01:38 PM, yodd wrote: Prog Nation Tour ftw. Saw it on its first year, bands were Dream Theater, Opeth, Between The Buried and Me, 3. Awesome, awesome show. I'm sure Unexpect sounding bad live is due to the fact they are an opening band and didn't have the best soundcheck, for a band like them it can make all the difference.

Also, prog.

It sound better than going to see John Fogerty and the Moody Blues. Geez, anytime you think that they'll arrive in Nashville?

What a shame, Mister Jensen.
I never asked for this, Mister Denton.

Twone
Twone
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 35
Musician
Response to Progressive Musician's Corner 2009-12-20 11:12:50 Reply

At 12/17/09 01:09 AM, yodd wrote: They're alright. From Mars To Sirius is a great album, amazing album. But their other albums are just decent.

I don't have anything else besides their latest two albums, so I wouldn't know. I do need to get them, hopefully my brother has them.

At 12/18/09 06:34 PM, Nev wrote: They were fantastic live a few months ago, I caught Joe's plectrum and grabbed it crotch :D.

I'm jealous. >:(

BBS Signature
igott
igott
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 16
Blank Slate
Response to Progressive Musician's Corner 2009-12-25 23:59:56 Reply

Queenscythe.

Should I try them?

igott
igott
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 16
Blank Slate
Response to Progressive Musician's Corner 2010-01-17 03:40:00 Reply

Okay, I found Focus, got my Hands on King Crimson's In the Court of King Crimson (Last one I need).

I also got my hands on some Iron Butterfly and shit ON VINYL.

DjMindsweeper
DjMindsweeper
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 04
Musician
Response to Progressive Musician's Corner 2010-02-08 10:40:13 Reply

Hmmmm....Progressive Trance doesn't count here, does it?

BBS Signature
jew193
jew193
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 39
Gamer
Response to Progressive Musician's Corner 2010-02-08 10:58:38 Reply

Does anybody here consider Orphaned Land progressive? Also, I'm seeing Opeth in April.

igott
igott
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 16
Blank Slate
Response to Progressive Musician's Corner 2010-02-12 02:39:14 Reply

At 2/8/10 10:58 AM, jew193 wrote: Does anybody here consider Orphaned Land progressive? Also, I'm seeing Opeth in April.

Never heard of them, I'll take a look at them. But you're pretty lucky with Opeth, nobody ever comes here.

Sense-Offender
Sense-Offender
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 30
Movie Buff
Response to Progressive Musician's Corner 2010-02-24 13:03:14 Reply

I forgot about this thread. most recent prog rock albums I've gotten are Fear of a Blank Planet and in Absentia by Porcupine Tree and Eponymous II and Unstable Matter by Spaced Out. Spaced Out's bassist is great. I don't recall if I've gotten anything else in the way of prog rock or metal other than that. Most of my recent album acquisitions have been stoner rock/metal, stoner doom metal, sludge metal, trip-hop, instrumental hip hop, and electronic.

At 12/16/09 08:29 PM, igott wrote: Recently, I've gotten into the first metal band ever, Iron Butterfly, can they be classified as Prog Metal?

nah, rock. They just contributed to the formation of heavy metal along with other classic rock bands. I dunno if you could call them prog, though. I've only heard In the Garden of Eden/Inna Gada Da Vida. probably not, though.

yes. I must be crazy, though. I think I kinda liked the Way of All Flesh more than From Mars to Sirius. maybe I'll listen to 'em both again.

At 12/17/09 01:09 AM, yodd wrote: Anyways, prog band people should listen to.
UneXpecT

They're good. I love avant-garde metal in general.

At 12/25/09 11:59 PM, igott wrote: Queenscythe.

Should I try them?

Operation Mindcrime and Empire are awesome, but other than that, I dunno.

At 2/8/10 10:58 AM, jew193 wrote: Does anybody here consider Orphaned Land progressive?

haven't listened. All I know is they're folk metal.

one of the four horsemen of the Metal Hell

BBS Signature
Nev
Nev
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 09
Blank Slate
Response to Progressive Musician's Corner 2010-02-24 16:55:32 Reply

At 2/24/10 01:03 PM, Sense-Offender wrote: yes. I must be crazy, though. I think I kinda liked the Way of All Flesh more than From Mars to Sirius. maybe I'll listen to 'em both again.

You're definately crazy :P.
Though the stuff from TWoaF was amazing live. Much more intense than it is on the album.

BBS Signature
EoD696
EoD696
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 03
Blank Slate
Response to Progressive Musician's Corner 2010-02-25 07:36:46 Reply

So...wtf, are we progressive musicians or prog rock fanboys here? Apparently the latter, I'm not seeing any content regarding the development or composition of music at all. With that in mind...

favorite bands that I think prog:

Pink Floyd
Tool
The Who
Moody Blues
Dream Theater
Phish

Truth be told, I think it's the music from Pink Floyd and Tool that have shaped the idea of progressive rock that I have in my head. That being a song structure that doesn't really rely on the traditional patterns found in the classic blues and jazz styles upon which pop music was founded (AABA ABBA ABAC etc.), leastwise not so heavily. Perhaps they have sections that adhere to the rules, but for the most part it's all up in the air as to where the music is to go from what part to the next. And so that's progressive music to me, music that has a structure which progresses and changes over the course of the song. So what does prog mean to you guys with all these bands I've never heard of?

EoD696
EoD696
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 03
Blank Slate
Response to Progressive Musician's Corner 2010-02-25 07:41:20 Reply

Oh yeah! Jethro Tull...nobody said Jethro Tull yet. Thats a good one to add to the list. Maybe he had some stuff that wasn't really progressive...like...aqualung...but most of it, crazy cool stuff. Songs From the Wood, perfect example of progressiveness.

igott
igott
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 16
Blank Slate
Response to Progressive Musician's Corner 2010-04-05 23:47:21 Reply

Hello, Hello, Hello, Is there anybody in there?
Just nod if you can hear me.
Is there anyone home?

At 2/25/10 07:41 AM, EoD696 wrote: Oh yeah! Jethro Tull...nobody said Jethro Tull yet. Thats a good one to add to the list. Maybe he had some stuff that wasn't really progressive...like...aqualung...but most of it, crazy cool stuff. Songs From the Wood, perfect example of progressiveness.

Jethro Tull does not require mentioning, they are that good.
Also, I wouldn't call Phish Progressive. They're more Jam Band like The Grateful Dead, Widespread Panic or Government Mule.
Umphrees McGee (Spelling?) is a good example of Progressive/Jam Band though.

Sense-Offender
Sense-Offender
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 30
Movie Buff
Response to Progressive Musician's Corner 2010-04-06 13:29:09 Reply

At 4/5/10 11:47 PM, igott wrote: Is there anyone home?

ja

So, like, I got some more Porcupine Tree albums. Lightbulb Sun, Nil Recurring, and We Lost the Skyline. I heard Nil Recurring, which is good.

I wonder what's going on with Tool. I've heard no news of a new album in the works. They're kinda due for one.

BBS Signature
igott
igott
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 16
Blank Slate
Response to Progressive Musician's Corner 2010-04-06 13:49:45 Reply

At 4/6/10 01:29 PM, Sense-Offender wrote: I wonder what's going on with Tool. I've heard no news of a new album in the works. They're kinda due for one.

Maynard is working with A Perfect Circle and Pusifer, so he's too busy with that.
I also heard from a Tool fanboy that's in my band that they're planning on doing only shows now.

Sense-Offender
Sense-Offender
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 30
Movie Buff
Response to Progressive Musician's Corner 2010-04-06 22:40:01 Reply

At 4/6/10 01:49 PM, igott wrote: Maynard is working with A Perfect Circle and Pusifer, so he's too busy with that.

Someone should punch him in the head, then.

BBS Signature
igott
igott
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 16
Blank Slate
Response to Progressive Musician's Corner 2010-04-06 23:35:27 Reply

At 4/6/10 10:40 PM, Sense-Offender wrote:
At 4/6/10 01:49 PM, igott wrote: Maynard is working with A Perfect Circle and Pusifer, so he's too busy with that.
Someone should punch him in the head, then.

Don't forget his Wine and his son, Devo.