Support NATA 2014

Government stealing our internet

  • 796 Views
  • 23 Replies
New Topic Respond to this Topic
powerfuldude
powerfuldude
  • Member since: Jun. 21, 2007
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Member
Level 23
Blank Slate
Government stealing our internet Aug. 28th, 2009 @ 05:41 PM Reply

Link
I don't know if this thread has been done before but anyway if this bill passes Obama can shut down our internets!


...

xKore
xKore
  • Member since: May. 17, 2008
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Member
Level 16
Blank Slate
Response to Government stealing our internet Aug. 28th, 2009 @ 05:43 PM Reply

It's not going to pass. I don't know why everyones getting uppety over it.

ohbombuh
ohbombuh
  • Member since: Aug. 4, 2009
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Member
Level 33
Melancholy
Response to Government stealing our internet Aug. 28th, 2009 @ 05:57 PM Reply

Even if it went through there would be loads of protests and they'd probably think better of it eventually. Things should be fine.


The simple fact is that some people will never be happy, no matter how good their lives are.

BBS Signature
Jon-86
Jon-86
  • Member since: Jan. 30, 2007
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Member
Level 14
Blank Slate
Response to Government stealing our internet Aug. 28th, 2009 @ 06:01 PM Reply

What no eCommerce no making money online? Are you daft... The US economy wont let this bill pass lol


PHP Main :: C++ Main :: Java Main :: Vorsprung durch Technik
irc.freenode.net #ngprogramming

BBS Signature
TheShrike
TheShrike
  • Member since: Jan. 5, 2001
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Member
Level 39
Gamer
Response to Government stealing our internet Aug. 28th, 2009 @ 06:34 PM Reply

I don't support this.

That said, I understand the reasoning. In the event of a true international all-out cyberwar, common people's computers could be infected with viruses that target infrastructure systems via the net, and this would give the government the power to instruct providers to cut access wholesale to prevent spread and ongoing attacks.

And really, if we're in a cyber-war, and our very infrastructure is threatened, why not just make it happen, ie, just declare a state of emergency, and place various ISP's headquarters under martial law as required. Why require a law that says if you ask, they have to say yes? You're only going to scare the commoner when people start spreading FUD about stealing their intraw3bz.

This is also approaching the problem incorrectly. People are touchy about the internet. It's important to many people on a level far greater than TV or radio. If you're really worried about this happening, why not put pressure on software monoliths like Microsoft and Apple to crunch down hard on the (har har) root cause of the problem. Design an agency to find and require fixes for software exploits...

But don't get people who're already wound-up more panic ammo.


"A witty quote proves nothing."
~Voltaire

BBS Signature
thenemisis14
thenemisis14
  • Member since: Jul. 7, 2008
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Member
Level 03
Blank Slate
Response to Government stealing our internet Aug. 28th, 2009 @ 09:49 PM Reply

en though i dont like it i will say this

the fucking government provides the internet assholes...

they give the bandwidth to the isps the isps give them to you

all the bandwidth is originally provided by and is created by the government

the isps just dole it out for exorbident prices to you and me


Eight Words the Wiccan Rede Fullfill... "An' it harm none, do as ye' will." Remember always the Rule of Three for what ye' do returns thrice to thee.

xKore
xKore
  • Member since: May. 17, 2008
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Member
Level 16
Blank Slate
Response to Government stealing our internet Aug. 28th, 2009 @ 10:03 PM Reply

At 8/28/09 09:49 PM, thenemisis14 wrote: en though i dont like it i will say this

the fucking government provides the internet assholes...

they give the bandwidth to the isps the isps give them to you

all the bandwidth is originally provided by and is created by the government

the isps just dole it out for exorbident prices to you and me

Yes, publicly owned. The government isn't some seperate company that can do whatever the fuck it wants you know?

They have to coerce us first.

Also, if that is the case, can you point me to a source proving it, I can't find jack shit on the subject.

Jon-86
Jon-86
  • Member since: Jan. 30, 2007
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Member
Level 14
Blank Slate
Response to Government stealing our internet Aug. 29th, 2009 @ 07:15 AM Reply

At 8/28/09 09:49 PM, thenemisis14 wrote: the fucking government provides the internet assholes...
they give the bandwidth to the isps the isps give them to you
all the bandwidth is originally provided by and is created by the government
the isps just dole it out for exorbident prices to you and me

The government don't own or provide the internet, they may have funded the research institution that created it but they don't own it, its a global thing that nobody can truly own completely!

And what do think bandwidth actually is??? Nobody "gives" bandwidth. Bandwidth is simply a measurement of how good a connection is! More bandwidth = more data goes through at one time. Thats all it means. The actual connections that carry this data are owned by phone/cable companies, not the government!

The reasons ISPs charge as much as they do is because they have to pay their electricity bills for one! Servers don't power themselves yet. They also need to employ lots of people to maintain the network (and they have to pay them well because its an important job) then they have to pay for the call center support staff for the average user who is a bit of a numpty...

Then they take a some for profit! Thats where your money goes.


PHP Main :: C++ Main :: Java Main :: Vorsprung durch Technik
irc.freenode.net #ngprogramming

BBS Signature
Ericho
Ericho
  • Member since: Sep. 21, 2008
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Member
Level 42
Movie Buff
Response to Government stealing our internet Aug. 29th, 2009 @ 12:10 PM Reply

He's a nerd. He likes Superman and Dune (no, seriously he does) and it makes sense he would want to control the ultimate nerd ruling of all: the Internet! What have we done?


You know the world's gone crazy when the best rapper's a white guy and the best golfer's a black guy - Chris Rock

Jon-86
Jon-86
  • Member since: Jan. 30, 2007
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Member
Level 14
Blank Slate
Response to Government stealing our internet Aug. 29th, 2009 @ 12:18 PM Reply

At 8/29/09 12:10 PM, Ericho wrote: ultimate nerd ruling of all: the Internet!

Nonsense! The internet if for normal people. Nerds go to those convention things! Try browsing out side of NG and porn and you will see what am talkin' aboot..!


PHP Main :: C++ Main :: Java Main :: Vorsprung durch Technik
irc.freenode.net #ngprogramming

BBS Signature
thedude27
thedude27
  • Member since: Aug. 26, 2005
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Member
Level 09
Blank Slate
Response to Government stealing our internet Aug. 29th, 2009 @ 06:05 PM Reply

At 8/29/09 12:18 PM, Jon-86 wrote:
At 8/29/09 12:10 PM, Ericho wrote: ultimate nerd ruling of all: the Internet!
Nonsense! The internet if for normal people. Nerds go to those convention things! Try browsing out side of NG and porn and you will see what am talkin' aboot..!

well actually, when the internet first started it was like all porn and adds. im not sure if its true but i heard that like 40% of the internet is still porn.


"your bed is a car" <- line from one of the greatest comedys of all time.

OMGx
OMGx
  • Member since: Oct. 4, 2007
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Member
Level 08
Blank Slate
Response to Government stealing our internet Aug. 30th, 2009 @ 03:20 PM Reply

Who governs the government?


"Marx was wrong. Religion is not the opiate of the masses, religion is the placebo of the masses."

BBS Signature
Dawnslayer
Dawnslayer
  • Member since: Mar. 17, 2008
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Supporter
Level 11
Blank Slate
Response to Government stealing our internet Aug. 30th, 2009 @ 04:58 PM Reply

Forgive me if I sound like an idiot, but if the government shut down our Internet access, would we be able to somehow circumvent it with local area networks? Or would we just hack our way into the government network and fry the system that shut it down?

It just seems to me that whatever it is, a hacker will find a way around it. Laws like these seem pretty ridiculous when you include that factor.

Saku-Tatsuya
Saku-Tatsuya
  • Member since: Nov. 15, 2006
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Member
Level 05
Blank Slate
Response to Government stealing our internet Aug. 30th, 2009 @ 05:45 PM Reply

I doubt anyone in the Govornment has enough free time to steal the internet. So therefore I doubt they're going to let the bill pass.

Then again, you never know.

MrHero17
MrHero17
  • Member since: Aug. 23, 2007
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Member
Level 20
Blank Slate
Response to Government stealing our internet Aug. 30th, 2009 @ 08:38 PM Reply

At 8/29/09 06:05 PM, thedude27 wrote:
At 8/29/09 12:18 PM, Jon-86 wrote:
At 8/29/09 12:10 PM, Ericho wrote: ultimate nerd ruling of all: the Internet!
Nonsense! The internet if for normal people. Nerds go to those convention things! Try browsing out side of NG and porn and you will see what am talkin' aboot..!
well actually, when the internet first started it was like all porn and adds. im not sure if its true but i heard that like 40% of the internet is still porn.

About 1% of the internet is porn but when you think about how big the internet is it makes sense.

llnuclearmuffins
llnuclearmuffins
  • Member since: Jun. 28, 2009
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Member
Level 02
Blank Slate
Response to Government stealing our internet Aug. 30th, 2009 @ 08:46 PM Reply

At 8/30/09 08:38 PM, MrHero17 wrote:
About 1% of the internet is porn but when you think about how big the internet is it makes sense.

enough to make a 13 yr old go wild

VigilanteNighthawk
VigilanteNighthawk
  • Member since: Feb. 13, 2003
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Member
Level 03
Blank Slate
Response to Government stealing our internet Aug. 31st, 2009 @ 12:30 AM Reply

Overall, I don't support this bill either. However, I do support some industries requiring certified security professionals, specifically those involved in e-commerce. I've seen some pretty horrific e-commerce code out there. I'll just say that there are very few sites I will submit my credit card info too.

At 8/28/09 06:34 PM, TheShrike wrote: I don't support this.

That said, I understand the reasoning. In the event of a true international all-out cyberwar, common people's computers could be infected with viruses that target infrastructure systems via the net, and this would give the government the power to instruct providers to cut access wholesale to prevent spread and ongoing attacks.

Honestly, I think that is just a stop gap. I don't think you critical infrastructure is connected to the internet, but if it is, then it needs to be converted to an isolated network ASAP. While I can understand concerns over cost, it is an unnecessary security risk to expose those systems to the net at large. As for e-commerce, I do think there needs to be tighter regulation on the code. The more information you store, the more regulation you need.


Design an agency to find and require fixes for software exploits...

I'm on the fence about this idea. It sounds good in theory, but given the amount of software out there, the agency would have to be massive. Also, it's not just the software that they have to watch. They will also have to inspect the configurations of software deployed on the net to make sure that it is configured properly, and even that won't allow them to find all of the holes. Even with all precautions in place, all it takes is an employee with a easily guessed password to blow the whole system wide open. This is one of those cases where I think it is better to put the onus on private industry to hire certified security experts to handle these matters. The problem is too massive for the government to deal with.

But don't get people who're already wound-up more panic ammo.

Agreed.


The Internet is like a screwdriver. You can use it to take an engine apart and understand it, or you can see how far you can stick it in your ear until you hit resistance.

wowidc
wowidc
  • Member since: Jul. 20, 2007
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Member
Level 03
Blank Slate
Response to Government stealing our internet Aug. 31st, 2009 @ 01:22 AM Reply

ya I doubt it would get passed, or even then maybe the supreme court would rule it unconstitutional.

One could hope my friend, one could hope


allright... I wanna cast a spell.... I CAST FLARE!!!

WeirdJamFace
WeirdJamFace
  • Member since: May. 9, 2009
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Member
Level 37
Gamer
Response to Government stealing our internet Aug. 31st, 2009 @ 06:22 AM Reply

I would be amazed if this passed.
(unless they're gettting rid of mass hackers in which case it is an alright idea)


Why yes, that IS a large collection of 1998 "Smithy's Favourite Times" Licenced Cereal Pop Toys!

BBS Signature
SmilezRoyale
SmilezRoyale
  • Member since: Oct. 21, 2006
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Member
Level 03
Blank Slate
Response to Government stealing our internet Aug. 31st, 2009 @ 09:14 AM Reply

I actually think it's going to pass.

If they can do it with Television and Radio I'm sure they've wanted to do it with the internet.

Just don't be surprised if it actually does pass.


On a moving train there are no centrists, only radicals and reactionaries.

Dannyx28
Dannyx28
  • Member since: Feb. 18, 2009
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Member
Level 05
Blank Slate
Response to Government stealing our internet Aug. 31st, 2009 @ 09:17 AM Reply

I don't care i live in the uk lol

DizzeeRascal
DizzeeRascal
  • Member since: Sep. 6, 2008
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Member
Level 07
Blank Slate
Response to Government stealing our internet Aug. 31st, 2009 @ 10:10 AM Reply

At 8/28/09 05:41 PM, powerfuldude wrote: Link
I don't know if this thread has been done before but anyway if this bill passes Obama can shut down our internets!

Nope.

The communications hardware in Asia and Europe is quite capable of carrying internet traffic if the US's electronic connections to the rest of the world were somehow severed.

America would end up isolating itself from the rest of the world, but wouldn't at all bring down the internet.

In fact, if such a divide was deemed permanent, it would likely free up a massive swathe of much needed IPv4 addresses.


he's jus' a rascal...

Jon-86
Jon-86
  • Member since: Jan. 30, 2007
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Member
Level 14
Blank Slate
Response to Government stealing our internet Aug. 31st, 2009 @ 05:26 PM Reply

At 8/30/09 04:58 PM, Dawnslayer wrote: Forgive me if I sound like an idiot, but if the government shut down our Internet access, would we be able to somehow circumvent it with local area networks? Or would we just hack our way into the government network and fry the system that shut it down?

It depends but if they done the simplest and most cost effective thing. The government would just cut your connection. Or turned off the local network switch. You can do anything if you have no connection. Or nothing to unblock. What you said is the equivalent of saying, can I drive a car up hill with no petrol in it?

But being the government they would probably get someone to come up with some program that sits on top of the ISPs thing and if you work for the ISP you could probably get around it like you can get around paying for TV.....Who knows what the future holds


PHP Main :: C++ Main :: Java Main :: Vorsprung durch Technik
irc.freenode.net #ngprogramming

BBS Signature
Jon-86
Jon-86
  • Member since: Jan. 30, 2007
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Member
Level 14
Blank Slate
Response to Government stealing our internet Aug. 31st, 2009 @ 05:29 PM Reply

At 8/31/09 12:30 AM, VigilanteNighthawk wrote:
At 8/28/09 06:34 PM, TheShrike wrote: I don't support this.

That said, I understand the reasoning. In the event of a true international all-out cyberwar, common people's computers could be infected with viruses that target infrastructure systems via the net, and this would give the government the power to instruct providers to cut access wholesale to prevent spread and ongoing attacks.
Honestly, I think that is just a stop gap. I don't think you critical infrastructure is connected to the internet, but if it is, then it needs to be converted to an isolated network ASAP. While I can understand concerns over cost, it is an unnecessary security risk to expose those systems to the net at large. As for e-commerce, I do think there needs to be tighter regulation on the code. The more information you store, the more regulation you need.

Thats why I asked "such as?" maybe they know. As far as I know they don't put any infrastructure systems on-line, they are all on closed systems. Power, water, gas, traffic lights etc. Their is absolutely no need for them to have any connection with the internet anyway.


PHP Main :: C++ Main :: Java Main :: Vorsprung durch Technik
irc.freenode.net #ngprogramming

BBS Signature