ObsidianSnow
ObsidianSnow
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 12
Musician
Fabt Collab (rpg) Aug. 25th, 2009 @ 05:13 PM Reply

||====|[ FABT RPG COLLAB ]|====||

*Note to mods: I have obtained special permission to create this thread from jmtb02.*

||==|[ Thread Summary ]|==||

This section is just a short summary. Make sure to check out the notes at the bottom of this post.

- Project Title: "From A Blazing Tear"
-
- Theme/Style: Dark and bloody, but not exaggerated in these aspects. Has a serious tone.
-
- Start/End Dates: Start date is today (Aug. 25, 2009); End date is yet to be determined, but is aimed for August/September 2010 or earlier (to be generous). There will be monthly checkpoints.
-
- Software versions: Flash 8 (therefore AS 2.0); Reason 4.0 (Having this is NOT a requirement);
-
- FPS: 24 fps (Some cinematics may vary)
-
- Stage Size: [1000w]x[650h] (Some cinematics may vary)
-
- Co-Authors: Programmers, artists/animators, and musicians will be co-authored. Voice actors may be co-authored if there are not too many - if there are too many, you will be credited but not co-authored.
-
- Money: This project is non-profit. But you can put it on your resume.
-
- Who can join: Participants MUST know what they are doing. Therefore, in order to be accepted into the team, participants must somehow prove their ability. Participants may link to previous work, audition, or use another means of their choice.
-
- Thread rules: For anyone unfamiliar with NG's rules, look at them now. Flaming, fighting, or posting off-topic will not be tolerated.

[Interested? PM me (ObsidianSnow) or email me at: os.obsidiansnow@gmail.com]

||==|[ Looking For: ]|==||

1-2 Programmers

1-3 Flash artists / Animators

1-2 Musicians

2-5 Voice Actors (Male)

1-4 Voice Actors (Female)

[ Interested? PM me (ObsidianSnow) or send me an email at: os.obsidiansnow@gmail.com ]

||==| What is "FABT"? |==||

FABT (From A Blazing Tear) will be a action-based, real-time, side-scrolling RPG with a number of new and unique ideas tied into the gameplay (including things like dual-character control, status effects due to weather, gauntlet-blades, game type as well as difficulty options, and more). The intent is to create an RPG where the player can choose to weight either gaming skill or stat-building more than the other to provide an enjoyable experience for people with all tastes - and to give the player complete freedom to do as they please, whatever that might be.

It posesses a massive storyline for a game, involving internal conflict, a vast range of characters, multiple endings, magic, technology, and the fate of existence (The full story will be revealed to you once you have been accepted into the team). A completely new and original species of monster will take the stage, too (additional info for collab members only!).

In short, FABT is going to be one massive beast of a project - far too much for me to tackle alone. What am I saying?

Uncle Obsidian needs YOU for the FABT RPG Collab!

[ Interested yet? PM me (ObsidianSnow) or send me an email at: os.obsidiansnow@gmail.com ]

||==| Requirements |==||

|=| General |=|

I need people who know what they're doing. I need you to be capable of doing your work both properly and efficiently. Basically, no "noobs", please. That doesn't mean you have to be a small clockwork version of squaresoft with every flash award ever earned (Though that would be nice!), but some experience will likely be required.

This project is ambitious - so you need to be ambitious, as well as be able to follow through.

Lastly, I'd really like you to enjoy what you're doing - I know it sounds odd, but it's a serious pain in the ass to work with people who hate what they're doing.

|=| Programmers |=|

You're goint to be dealing with some challenges, so be prepared to use a little creativity in your work. If you've got some solid experience, and you can figure things out yourself for the most part, you'd probably be just fine.

Your work is likely going to include things you haven't dealt with before, such as mid-fight character control switching, but they should all be manageable.

You guys are really important. If I don't have capable programmers, this project will go to hell because of it. And I've worked too hard for it to be blown apart by a lack of programming.

|=| Artists/Animators |=|

The artists will have a bit of help from me, as I've already done some concept art and have plans for more. However, my artistry is relatively poor compared to what I'd like this all to look like. So you will be taking a lot of my work and making it better. Most of your work will be from description, however.

You'll be doing people, fantasy creatures, machines of war, mideval weapons, landscapes, buildings, and probably some other things as well. I'd like it to have a bit of a darker, serious tone to it. An organic and rock/stone/glass mix of texture or theme will sometimes be required.

Animators: I can do some of your work with you. I'm not too bad with animation.

You're all responsible for a large portion of the player reaction, so I need you guys, too!

|=| Musicians |=|

I'll be working most with you, as music is my strongest point here. I'm looking for people who can do the following themes standalone and/or in combination with one another: Orchestral, rock, ambient, techno.

You'll be building most of the music in collaberation with me. I use Reason 4.0, but if you don't have that or use it, it's not a big deal. That issue can be worked around.

I'm going to be needing atmospheric music, as well as thematic music, fight music, and probably some misc as well.

|=| Voice Actors |=|

If you have some drama skills and some at least acceptable recording equipment, you'd fit right in here.

However, I will need some kind of audition, especially for the more major characters. You can e-mail them to me (preferably in mp3 format). I can provide some lines of script.

[ Now are you interested? PM me (ObsidianSnow) or send me an email at: os.obsidiansnow@gmail.com ]

||==| Additional Comments |==||

*This project is non-profit. If that's a problem, then think of it as something you can put on a resume... and if you've put your best effort in, that would look pretty impressive.*

*I'll update the "looking for" list as people join, so if you're wondering how many spots are left, work backwards from the last post. But keep in mind that I might permit more people in on the project than stated on that list, as well.*

*I'd be seriously pissed off if this didn't get off the ground. So if you know anyone who might be interested, let them know for me. Thanks in advance for those of you who actually do this - maybe I'll send you a pie someday.*

*As of this post, there's no start date yet. Check my future messages for the date (it might end up in my sig, too).*

*If you don't get a response when you contact me, just be patient. I promise I'll respond to every legitimate comment, question, etc. as soon as I can.*

*If you feel nice enough to help me with organising this monstrosity, I'd love your help, too. *

Finally, in case you missed it the last four times:

[ If you're interested, PM me or send me an e-mail at: os.obsidiansnow@gmail.com ]

... And with that, let the questions and endless criticism begin. (Actually, I'd prefer you did less criticism and asking of the same question repeatedly... quality posts only, please.)

- Ian Jarvey (OS)

Fabt Collab (rpg)

Most recent release: [ Stephanie ]

BBS Signature
Glacier
Glacier
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 04
Blank Slate
Response to Fabt Collab (rpg) Aug. 25th, 2009 @ 05:35 PM Reply

I can draw art for backgrounds and such, I have no actual experience since I never had the motivation finish my little self projects, I've been improving my art in flash for this summer, and I think I might be good enough for it. I've had about 3 years of experience with flash and here's some artwork.

http://www.newgrounds.com/bbs/topic/1095 920/3

http://www.newgrounds.com/bbs/topic/1059 366

http://img8.imageshack.us/i/granitey.jpg /

Those are some and the last image was supposed to be simple.

ObsidianSnow
ObsidianSnow
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 12
Musician
Response to Fabt Collab (rpg) Aug. 25th, 2009 @ 06:14 PM Reply

At 8/25/09 05:35 PM, angryglacier wrote: I can draw art for backgrounds and such...

I'll consider it... You seem to understand a number of artistic concepts that I still have trouble with, although I think that your people would do better with some more muscle and flow.

BBS Signature
Glacier
Glacier
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 04
Blank Slate
Response to Fabt Collab (rpg) Aug. 25th, 2009 @ 06:18 PM Reply

At 8/25/09 06:14 PM, ObsidianSnow wrote:
At 8/25/09 05:35 PM, angryglacier wrote: I can draw art for backgrounds and such...
I'll consider it... You seem to understand a number of artistic concepts that I still have trouble with, although I think that your people would do better with some more muscle and flow.

I mostly do sketchs I'm not that good with anatomy which is why i would be best with backgrounds but ok.

ObsidianSnow
ObsidianSnow
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 12
Musician
Response to Fabt Collab (rpg) Aug. 25th, 2009 @ 06:31 PM Reply

At 8/25/09 06:18 PM, angryglacier wrote:
I mostly do sketchs I'm not that good with anatomy which is why i would be best with backgrounds but ok.

Hmmm. Just thinking this now - I think that it might be intriguing to see what would happen if you used rotoscopy to draw landscapes... In case you don't know, rotoscopy is where you take an actual image and draw on top of it as reference, then remove the original image. That's how I drew the dragon in my sig (the original image was a sketch of mine)... But if you applied your style to rotoscopy of landscapes and made it a little more sinister, it might be just right for the collab... To give it more realism, you know?

By the way, a note to all who might be reading: I just completed one of the battle themes for the collab. find it here: Epitaph of Blood

BBS Signature
jeffamphetamines
jeffamphetamines
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 02
Blank Slate
Response to Fabt Collab (rpg) Aug. 25th, 2009 @ 06:55 PM Reply

id be interested in maybe doing some stuff if your interested.

here is part of my work for a collab im doing

Fabt Collab (rpg)

ObsidianSnow
ObsidianSnow
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 12
Musician
Response to Fabt Collab (rpg) Aug. 25th, 2009 @ 07:23 PM Reply

At 8/25/09 06:55 PM, jeffamphetamines wrote: id be interested in maybe doing some stuff if your interested.

Hmm. I'll definitely keep you in mind. You seem fairly capable. What kinds of things would you be able to do? (people, creatures, backgrounds, machines, static objects, etc.?)

BBS Signature
jeffamphetamines
jeffamphetamines
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 02
Blank Slate
Response to Fabt Collab (rpg) Aug. 25th, 2009 @ 08:26 PM Reply

I can do any graphics monsters,people.

I do music but unfortunetly i only play acoustic and its not what your looking for. I can also do voice acting.

If your interested in me doing something give me a detail on what you want done and ill give a preview

ObsidianSnow
ObsidianSnow
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 12
Musician
Response to Fabt Collab (rpg) Aug. 26th, 2009 @ 03:20 PM Reply

At 8/25/09 08:26 PM, jeffamphetamines wrote: I can do any graphics monsters,people.

I do music but unfortunetly i only play acoustic and its not what your looking for. I can also do voice acting.

If your interested in me doing something give me a detail on what you want done and ill give a preview

Awesome. That would work well.

As for music, it might work anyways. After all, the majority of my music is written on an acual keyboard before I tranfer it into my computer. But if you mean you can't do those genres, well... there's not much we can do about that. However, an extra voice actor is always a plus.

Yeah, I'll take you up on that. A preview would be awesome... I'll send you a PM with some details and maybe some lines for you to read.

BBS Signature
Archawn
Archawn
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 27
Game Developer
Response to Fabt Collab (rpg) Aug. 26th, 2009 @ 06:12 PM Reply

At 8/25/09 05:13 PM, ObsidianSnow wrote: - Stage Size: [1000w]x[650h] (Some cinematics may vary)

You won't be able to submit this to NG, the maximum dimensions for a Flash movie here are 932x700.

Also, the image you posted looks awful, I'd advise you to change that.
ObsidianSnow
ObsidianSnow
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 12
Musician
Response to Fabt Collab (rpg) Aug. 26th, 2009 @ 06:48 PM Reply

At 8/26/09 06:12 PM, Archon68 wrote: You won't be able to submit this to NG, the maximum dimensions for a Flash movie here are 932x700.

Also, the image you posted looks awful, I'd advise you to change that.

Ah. Thanks for the tip, I wasn't aware of that. I'll fix that. Which means I'll use dimensions [932]x[605].

And ignore the pic if you don't like it. After all, it's not the final product. (Plus I can't draw, remember?)

BBS Signature
jeffamphetamines
jeffamphetamines
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 02
Blank Slate
Response to Fabt Collab (rpg) Aug. 26th, 2009 @ 09:34 PM Reply

hereis your request

just a sketch like you said ill do detail work if wanted

Fabt Collab (rpg)

ObsidianSnow
ObsidianSnow
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 12
Musician
Response to Fabt Collab (rpg) Aug. 26th, 2009 @ 11:05 PM Reply

At 8/26/09 09:34 PM, jeffamphetamines wrote: hereis your request

just a sketch like you said ill do detail work if wanted

Sick. I think that's definitely a pass. I'm happy with that.

... Now if I just had a programmer to discuss how we're going to do this... lol that's one of the first things on my list, here. "Figure out how the art should be done to avoid programming complications later"

:/ Cmon, programmers!

BBS Signature
jeffamphetamines
jeffamphetamines
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 02
Blank Slate
Response to Fabt Collab (rpg) Aug. 26th, 2009 @ 11:17 PM Reply

do you read your pms? :p

ObsidianSnow
ObsidianSnow
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 12
Musician
Response to Fabt Collab (rpg) Aug. 26th, 2009 @ 11:33 PM Reply

At 8/26/09 11:17 PM, jeffamphetamines wrote: do you read your pms? :p

Yes, I responded a minute ago. I was just really busy with other stuff at the time, so it took longer than expected. lol

BBS Signature
the1manwiththeplan
the1manwiththeplan
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 17
Blank Slate
Response to Fabt Collab (rpg) Aug. 26th, 2009 @ 11:34 PM Reply

So do you have any Ideas of what you want coded like how the battle system will work ? will it be turn based or real time are you gonna involve inventory systems and shops? How will the leveling system work...

ObsidianSnow
ObsidianSnow
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 12
Musician
Response to Fabt Collab (rpg) Aug. 27th, 2009 @ 06:15 PM Reply

At 8/26/09 11:34 PM, the1manwiththeplan wrote: So do you have any Ideas of what you want coded like how the battle system will work ? will it be turn based or real time are you gonna involve inventory systems and shops? How will the leveling system work...

Yes, I know how I want it to work. It will be real-time, it will include inventory/skills/magic systems, it will use shops, and the leveling system will be based on the premise that every action you perform has an effect on your levels. (A little like Oblivion)

If you're interested in the programming, I can send you some more details. All you have to do is ask.

BBS Signature
ObsidianSnow
ObsidianSnow
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 12
Musician
Response to Fabt Collab (rpg) Aug. 27th, 2009 @ 08:14 PM Reply

I'm considering tracking down some decent programmers and referring them to this thread. If anyone knows any capable programmers, I'd love to know about them. It would make my job considerably easier.

BBS Signature
BlueSpurt
BlueSpurt
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 01
Blank Slate
Response to Fabt Collab (rpg) Aug. 27th, 2009 @ 08:22 PM Reply

I can program AS2. I'll draw up a quick sample.

Tribes78
Tribes78
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 03
Blank Slate
Response to Fabt Collab (rpg) Aug. 27th, 2009 @ 08:31 PM Reply

I maybe could do a part of the Male Voice Acting...?

O Hai
Check out my best work here:
http://www.newgrounds.com/portal/vi ew/489820

ObsidianSnow
ObsidianSnow
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 12
Musician
Response to Fabt Collab (rpg) Aug. 27th, 2009 @ 09:46 PM Reply

At 8/27/09 08:22 PM, BlueSpurt wrote: I can program AS2. I'll draw up a quick sample.

...? By which you mean what?

At 8/27/09 08:31 PM, Tribes78 wrote: I maybe could do a part of the Male Voice Acting...?

Sure, just send me an email at os.obsidiansnow@gmail.com and I'll send you the necessary details.

BBS Signature
ObsidianSnow
ObsidianSnow
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 12
Musician
Response to Fabt Collab (rpg) Aug. 28th, 2009 @ 06:10 PM Reply

I'm still lacking a capable programmer. Again, if anyone knows one, or is one themselves, I'd love to know about it - Honestly, I can't do much without a programmer. Help me out, everyone!

BBS Signature
ObsidianSnow
ObsidianSnow
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 12
Musician
Response to Fabt Collab (rpg) Aug. 28th, 2009 @ 10:07 PM Reply

Just put out another tune for the project. If you want to listen to it, it's here: Lost at Sky (loop)
Just thought some of you would like that update.

Also, I still need programmers. Don't be shy.

BBS Signature
the1manwiththeplan
the1manwiththeplan
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 17
Blank Slate
Response to Fabt Collab (rpg) Aug. 28th, 2009 @ 11:23 PM Reply

Sounds epic but what you want in the programming seems a little out of my league

good luck though...XD

ObsidianSnow
ObsidianSnow
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 12
Musician
Response to Fabt Collab (rpg) Aug. 28th, 2009 @ 11:31 PM Reply

At 8/28/09 11:23 PM, the1manwiththeplan wrote: Sounds epic but what you want in the programming seems a little out of my league

good luck though...XD

Ah, don't worry about it. Everyone has limits, right? Keep working on expanding yours... and if you know anyone who might be able to do the programming here, I'd love it if you gave me a shout.

Thanks anyways, the1manwiththeplan. Power to you.

BBS Signature
ObsidianSnow
ObsidianSnow
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 12
Musician
Response to Fabt Collab (rpg) Aug. 29th, 2009 @ 07:08 PM Reply

Come on, everyone. I need teh programmer(s)! Tell your friends! Your co-workers! Your goldfish!

...Seriously, though. Don't make me come and hunt you down. Because I will.

BBS Signature
Sairex
Sairex
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 08
Voice Actor
Response to Fabt Collab (rpg) Aug. 29th, 2009 @ 09:14 PM Reply

If any of you talented programmers and artists need a voice actor for this collab, please let me know.

ObsidianSnow
ObsidianSnow
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 12
Musician
Response to Fabt Collab (rpg) Aug. 30th, 2009 @ 06:40 PM Reply

At 8/29/09 09:14 PM, Sairex wrote: If any of you talented programmers and artists need a voice actor for this collab, please let me know.

Sure. Send me a PM with your email and I'll fill you in some more.

BBS Signature
Glacier
Glacier
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 04
Blank Slate
Response to Fabt Collab (rpg) Aug. 31st, 2009 @ 01:58 PM Reply

Here's a background I did to show what I can do, hope you like it.

Fabt Collab (rpg)

SuperiorX
SuperiorX
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 02
Blank Slate
Response to Fabt Collab (rpg) Aug. 31st, 2009 @ 02:01 PM Reply

IS this still on?