Deshmeter
Deshmeter
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 02
Blank Slate
how to start making techno? Aug. 25th, 2009 @ 08:12 AM Reply

Hey
I have always loved techno and i want to start making my own. I have read the threads on lists of programs to download but it hasn't really helped with my problem. I just want to know what programs i need to download (if possible a how to use doc :) ) and i would prefer free ones because i don't have much money to spend :(.
Thanks for the help if you post and if i find out how check back in a few months to await my first song!

Kaizerwolf
Kaizerwolf
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 17
Musician
Response to how to start making techno? Aug. 25th, 2009 @ 10:51 AM Reply

Well, free might be an issue, as a lot of programs cost money. (ex. FL Studio, Reason, Orion, etc) You can always try the demo versions for those programs... you're limited, but it'll still get you used to making the songs.

Sorry i can't be of much more help than that. D:

How about you join the NGPD? Just what is the Newgrounds Police Dept.? Click the link and find out for yourself!

BBS Signature
DJRAV3N
DJRAV3N
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 02
Musician
Response to how to start making techno? Aug. 25th, 2009 @ 01:42 PM Reply

At 8/25/09 08:12 AM, Deshmeter wrote: Hey
I have always loved techno and i want to start making my own. I have read the threads on lists of programs to download but it hasn't really helped with my problem. I just want to know what programs i need to download (if possible a how to use doc :) ) and i would prefer free ones because i don't have much money to spend :(.
Thanks for the help if you post and if i find out how check back in a few months to await my first song!

well first of make sure that your wanting to make techno. there are tons of genre in the dance and most uneducated people all clasify it as techno. there is DNB, hands up, trance, rave, breakbeat, hardcore, speedcore, horrorcore, hipcore, hopcore, hiphop, techno, commercial trance, happy hardcore, oldskool, epic trance, uplifting trance, techno trance. this is ony half of it lol.

second Fl studio 8 and or cubase will get you far.

third get some good vst's.

like z3ta, nexus(for noobs) and vstation(my personal favorite)

also get some sample packs like vec 2 or Pm me and ill send you send u a hands up flp tutprial pack that i made. and after that you wil be sounding like dj splash or rob mayth in no time lol.

I Am L3O, I Am the only Me there is Nobody Else
L3O's Soundcloud
Reverbnation

Mich
Mich
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 43
Musician
Response to how to start making techno? Aug. 25th, 2009 @ 01:49 PM Reply

If by Techno, you mean 'Electronic Dance music', check here. http://basicsofedm.newgrounds.com/news/p ost/136671

And if you're serious with this, I strongly advice you to look into a decent DAW like Fl studio, you won't find many good programs that are free and fully featured.

BUT. I heard Mu.lab is quite a great free DAW. Credits for finding go to Sorohanro

So you might want to look into that.
Also: Erkie's Newbies audio guide to electronica might help you out.

architecture
architecture
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 02
Blank Slate
Response to how to start making techno? Aug. 25th, 2009 @ 06:49 PM Reply

Dont Forget Fasttracker 2. Or Skale Tracker. Those are free.

moose3642
moose3642
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 08
Blank Slate
DJ-Chilvan
DJ-Chilvan
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 10
Blank Slate
Response to how to start making techno? Aug. 25th, 2009 @ 10:30 PM Reply

Here's a few easy steps to making a decent techno/trance/dance

1. Get some nice VSTs first (there are many free ones out there. My personal favorite is Rez 2.0)
2. Make all the necessary beats and melodies and consonances and all the other sound clips you will use.
3.Now, take all those sound clips and rearrange them in a strategic and rhythmical order.
4.Add salt and pepper so as to not make the song generic and repetitive.
5.Master the song very well once you have finished.
Viola! You have a techno song that many people would like. Many people like my own, yes, there will be some flaws but that's because i'm an amateur.
As for cheap programs, I know that you wouldnt mind putting down $60 on Magix Music Maker. That's what I use and im flyin by. My shoes cost more than the program

Check out my new track Tokyo Pop and my hit: Our Nova Pt. 2.
Member of Review Request Club.

Stupor
Stupor
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 06
Musician
Response to how to start making techno? Aug. 25th, 2009 @ 10:40 PM Reply

At 8/25/09 01:42 PM, DJRAV3N wrote: there is DNB, hands up, trance, rave, breakbeat, hardcore, speedcore, horrorcore, hipcore, hopcore, hiphop, techno, commercial trance, happy hardcore, oldskool, epic trance, uplifting trance, techno trance. this is ony half of it lol.

What's the difference between "hipcore" and "hopcore"?

Sometimes, it would rain men. "Hallelujah!", we would cry. Thousands were killed.

dj-pope
dj-pope
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 01
Blank Slate
Response to how to start making techno? Aug. 25th, 2009 @ 11:57 PM Reply

At 8/25/09 10:40 PM, Stupor wrote: What's the difference between "hipcore" and "hopcore"?

If he told you, he'd have to kill you. Now, no more questions.

Pat!M /// a.k.a Dj Pope

BBS Signature
architecture
architecture
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 02
Blank Slate
Response to how to start making techno? Aug. 25th, 2009 @ 11:59 PM Reply

At 8/25/09 10:40 PM, Stupor wrote:
At 8/25/09 01:42 PM, DJRAV3N wrote: there is DNB, hands up, trance, rave, breakbeat, hardcore, speedcore, horrorcore, hipcore, hopcore, hiphop, techno, commercial trance, happy hardcore, oldskool, epic trance, uplifting trance, techno trance. this is ony half of it lol.
What's the difference between "hipcore" and "hopcore"?

and just about all of those genres were invented before 1999.

Now all kids can think of is making the same stuff thats been made since 1999. Stop using SUPERSAWS already! god.

Cobdogger
Cobdogger
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 09
Blank Slate
Response to how to start making techno? Aug. 26th, 2009 @ 01:10 AM Reply

If u want to make techno then defiantly get fl studio 8 (fruty loops) the demo version is excatly the same as the full version but you cant save.
once you have downloaded it watch some tutorials to learn the basics
then right click on your step sequencer - insert - FPC - chose a sweet drum beat
right click on step sequencer - insert - sytrus - open the piano roll - put in a few basic notes - then change the preset to golden powersaw and yove got yourself a generic techno beat.

V-station 4 the win