New Topic Respond to this Topic
dj-pope
dj-pope
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 01
Blank Slate
"American Exceptionalism" Aug. 23rd, 2009 @ 08:06 PM Reply

So I was just going through some political videos on Youtube and stumbled upon a video of a Obama being criticized for not "subscribing to American exceptionalism"...

First off? ARE YOU FUCKING SERIOUS!?!?
American Exceptionalism? In what, exactly are you guys exceptional?

Quality Of Life?

- In the last "Economist Intelligence Unit's quality-of-life index" You're country ranked an Exceptional [b]13th.[/b]

- In the Quality Of Life Index for 2009 done by Internationalliving.com you guys ranked 3rd. Exceptionally behind France and Switzerland.
But in important categories like "Cost of living", "Environment" and "Health" you guys don't even rank in the Top 20! In "Economy" you're not top 5, and "Leisure and Culture" your not top 3? In fact your "Exceptional" country doesn't rank #1 in any category. You guys do however make up a lot of ground on potential #1 countries like Canada, United Kingdom, Czech Republic, Norway, Sweden in the crucial "Climate" category...

- In Mercer's 2009 Quality of Living Survey, the exceptional United States didn't place a single city in the top 5... or top 10... or top 20... or top 25!!! In fact, the first American city on the rankings is Honolulu at 29. All the Top 5 cities in the "Americas" category came from Canada. That's just really exceptional.

Economy?

- Yes, the United States does have the highest GDP in the world according to the three major outlets on the subject (International Monetary Fund, World Bank, CIA World Factbook), however in GDP per capita (per person) you guys drop to an exceptional 6th, 4th and 8th place.

- You guys do rank #1 in External Debt! Yay! 95% of your "worlds highest" GDP is spoken for which isn't actually all that bad, most countires owe significantly more then there GDP, however countries like China (5%), Canada (59%), Italy (58%) Spain (79%) and dozens more owe ALOT less. Not really exceptional of you know is it...?

- You each individually owe a total of [b]$42,343[/b]! Puts you at #14 worldwide behind several developed nations.

Seriously, outside of Military where you guys are #1, America is hardly "exceptional" in anyway. To be so arrogant is ridiculous. You guys wonder why almost everyone on the planet despises you?? I know a lot of americans are smarter then to think this but for someone to have the sheer cockyness to blast your leader for maybe not feeling the same way and perhaps even recognizing your country (like every country) has flaws that he could try to fix is just jaw droppingly stupid. Obviously its not just a small minority that feel this way as there were many videos on this subject.

Some reference links: (lost a few but most of this is pretty easy to find)

http://www.nationmaster.com/graph/eco_de b_ext_percap-economy-debt-external-per-c apita
http://www.mercer.com/qualityofliving
http://www.il-ireland.com/il/qofl2009/?f ield=final

Pat!M /// a.k.a Dj Pope

BBS Signature
Cordyceps
Cordyceps
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 15
Animator
Response to "American Exceptionalism" Aug. 23rd, 2009 @ 08:09 PM Reply

Next time, post this kind of thread in the Politics Forum.

But I agree. Some people can just be blinded with love for their country, I guess.

@
http://sonicfanon.wikia.com/wiki/Sonic_Fanon_Wiki
If you do acid, wait an hour before swimming

BBS Signature
Ptcfast
Ptcfast
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 12
Blank Slate
Response to "American Exceptionalism" Aug. 23rd, 2009 @ 08:12 PM Reply

You watch political videos off of Youtube?! Anyway, not one country is #1 at everything so why don't you bitch about the stats of other countries for once and leave America alone. America is not the only country with problems and people don't seem to realize it.

BBS Signature
JohnDrawInfinity
JohnDrawInfinity
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 04
Blank Slate
Response to "American Exceptionalism" Aug. 23rd, 2009 @ 08:17 PM Reply

Have you ever seen Bob Saget do stand up comedy?
This IS the best country on Earth.

johnbarbee.blogspot.com

HeartbreakHoldout
HeartbreakHoldout
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 22
Blank Slate
Response to "American Exceptionalism" Aug. 23rd, 2009 @ 08:18 PM Reply

They have the biggest film industry by a long way. When it comes to entertainment, the USA is by far number 1.

It might have something to do with how massive the country is, but you really can't deny that they're the most influential country.

Look at GDP per capita. The top ones on that list are, like, Qatar? Who the fuck would want to live in Qatar?

dj-pope
dj-pope
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 01
Blank Slate
Response to "American Exceptionalism" Aug. 23rd, 2009 @ 08:47 PM Reply

At 8/23/09 08:18 PM, HeartbreakHoldout wrote: Look at GDP per capita. The top ones on that list are, like, Qatar? Who the fuck would want to live in Qatar?

If you have an education and are a "skilled worker" , I'd recommend it lol. Probably a lot of money for the rich.

Oh and it's been a really long time since I posted on here. I'll make this thread there. Sorry.

Pat!M /// a.k.a Dj Pope

BBS Signature
Purplefunk
Purplefunk
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 11
Blank Slate
Response to "American Exceptionalism" Aug. 23rd, 2009 @ 09:14 PM Reply

At 8/23/09 08:06 PM, dj-pope wrote:

Seriously, outside of Military where everything matters. America is vastly superior.

Lulz.

BBS Signature
gamekillereater
gamekillereater
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 11
Blank Slate
Response to "American Exceptionalism" Aug. 23rd, 2009 @ 09:18 PM Reply

I actually find patriotism stupid, and from what I've seen from America it's quite common there.

OneGunn
OneGunn
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 12
Blank Slate
Response to "American Exceptionalism" Aug. 23rd, 2009 @ 09:20 PM Reply

At 8/23/09 09:18 PM, gamekillereater wrote: I actually find patriotism stupid, and from what I've seen from America it's quite common there.

No not really

FattyWhale
FattyWhale
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 49
Melancholy
Response to "American Exceptionalism" Aug. 23rd, 2009 @ 09:21 PM Reply

Sorry that Canada sucks compared to the US. You don't have to be so angry about it, northern neighbor!

[1] [2] [3] [4] [5]
:3

BBS Signature
SolidLiquid
SolidLiquid
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 17
Audiophile
Response to "American Exceptionalism" Aug. 23rd, 2009 @ 09:23 PM Reply

At 8/23/09 08:06 PM, dj-pope wrote:
of a Obama being criticized

theirs more of them?

i got techniques dripping out my butt cheeks; sleep on my stomach so i don't fuck up my sheets.

BBS Signature
Conspiracy3
Conspiracy3
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 10
Blank Slate
Response to "American Exceptionalism" Aug. 23rd, 2009 @ 09:25 PM Reply

American Exceptionalism doesn't mean that Americans are exceptional - it is the word for the american form of government.

All-American-Badass
All-American-Badass
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 31
Blank Slate
Response to "American Exceptionalism" Aug. 23rd, 2009 @ 10:08 PM Reply

At 8/23/09 08:47 PM, dj-pope wrote:
At 8/23/09 08:18 PM, HeartbreakHoldout wrote: Look at GDP per capita. The top ones on that list are, like, Qatar? Who the fuck would want to live in Qatar?
If you have an education and are a "skilled worker" , I'd recommend it lol. Probably a lot of money for the rich.

Oh and it's been a really long time since I posted on here. I'll make this thread there. Sorry.

The only reason they have the highest GDP is becuase they have a bunch of jobs in oil there. so if you want to work in oil Qatar is the place for you

Unimportant
Unimportant
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 18
Blank Slate
Response to "American Exceptionalism" Aug. 23rd, 2009 @ 10:16 PM Reply

I too find it ridiculous to see such zealous patriotism, especially from those who have done no outside research, or have never even visited outside the country.

America is a nice place to live, at least certain parts of it, but to assume superiority in everything without hard facts is just arrogant on a ridiculous level.

Someone once asked me why I call myself Unimportant. Simple, I said. As a nihilist, that's what I see everyone and everything as. In the end, we are all Unimportant.