New Topic Respond to this Topic
TOEZ
TOEZ
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 17
Blank Slate
Dumbest moments of Pokemon (Anime) Aug. 21st, 2009 @ 07:27 PM Reply

Note that this is a discussion about the Anime series that spawned from Pokemon, and not the Video games themselves. So keep your "VIDEA GAYME FORUM" comments to yourself. With that said, all haters leave. NOW.

Pokemon is a well-known franchise that starts its roots from as far back as the eighties, when creators and illustrators started to draw out the first few Pokemon, before perfecting them in the games to come. From these Game Boy cartridges spawned numerous card games, toys, and even an anime series that is currently running in its twelfth or so season.

The Anime series has had its ups and downs, but its highest point came from the earlier seasons, when covering Kanto and Johto respectively. Then the series started to change and decline to nothing more than an nuisance thereon, with episodes that seem to repeat themselves over and over, and the whole topic of Ash really being a pokemon master is thrown out the window. As of now, there are well over 600 episodes and continuing, most of which really have nothing to do with the game and prolong the series to a point of boredom. And in those episodes lie some of the most dumbest moments I've ever seen from Pokemon. The movies from which the series has conveniently shown to the public are also to blame; nothing more than a cash cow that ironically even the actual games are blamed for. I find that from these movies and the anime series, there are moments that make you want to wish you never watched the series, and stuck to the games. Some of you may think it's a little childish to talk about Pokemon, but that's what nostalgia will do to you.

Without further ado, here's my question to you: What in your opinion is the dumbest moment you've ever seen in Pokemon? Remember, this is only asked to those who took the franchise as serious as I did when I was little, and doesn't apply to those who think they're smart-asses and will post that Pokemon is just dumb. That's not my point, and if you really think so, keep that to yourself and don't post here. Here are some of my opinions that really make the Anime just hard to watch:

#1:
In an Anime series, there has always been a well-known person that seems to have the "hots" for almost every girl he meets. This isn't any more relevant than in Brock, who starts it off. Sure, Brock may be the best of the bunch and my personal favorite, but being reduced from a Gym Leader to a so-called Breeder, to a Wannabe Womanizer is pretty low. In almost every episode to date, Brock is always seen trying to soothe with his manly mojo to women like the multiple Nurse Joys and Officer Jennys that are too dumbfounded to even put a restraining order on this cat in heat. But I digress. Without Brock, there would have been no person to yank him by the ear, or stab him in the chest. Yeah, it really brings me back to the good old days. But now, it's just really annoying!

#2:
This moment from Pokemon baffled true fans as our dumb-ass Americans yet again screw up the Japanese-to-English translation: Arbok apparently evolves into Seviper?!? Wait a sec, lemme check the Pokedex... hmm wait, oh, what the heck? It's not in here! What were they thinking when they translated that?

#3:
Apparently, Ash turning into stone from the First Movie was a dumb moment. Not the "Leroy Jenkins" part, but what happens after. All the Pokemon, including the clones all cry in tears and happen to rejuvenate and revive Ash from his two seconds as a "stoner". Not only is this so cliche, but what would this be a lesson to little kids? That crying helps bring back loved ones from the dead? God I love The Nostalgia Critic. I personally however like Newgrounds' version of what would have really happened to Ash better: http://www.newgrounds.com/portal/view/49 4466

So, what are some of yours?

XBL Gamertag: TrainerMarcus

BBS Signature
Loki
Loki
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 52
Writer
Response to Dumbest moments of Pokemon (Anime) Aug. 21st, 2009 @ 07:29 PM Reply

The whole series. Now gtfo Newgrounds. Pokemon sucks. It was good when I was 10. And even then it wasn't good.

Genocide
Genocide
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 14
Gamer
Response to Dumbest moments of Pokemon (Anime) Aug. 21st, 2009 @ 07:29 PM Reply

ITT: fags who still care about pokemon

BBS Signature
Idiot-Finder
Idiot-Finder
  • Online!
Forum Stats
Level 60
Gamer
Response to Dumbest moments of Pokemon (Anime) Aug. 21st, 2009 @ 07:30 PM Reply

Characters not being able to see through Team Rocket's paper thin disguise

Anyone can see through this from a mile away, Shawn Spencer would state the obvious.

Please subscribe
"As the old saying goes...what was it again?"
.·´¯`·->YFIQ's collections of stories!<-·´¯`·.

BBS Signature
fastdrew
fastdrew
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 03
Blank Slate
Response to Dumbest moments of Pokemon (Anime) Aug. 21st, 2009 @ 07:30 PM Reply

Why the fuck did they remove May from the series.
She was the best drawn cartoon on the fucking show.

Balazeal
Balazeal
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 39
Melancholy
Response to Dumbest moments of Pokemon (Anime) Aug. 21st, 2009 @ 07:31 PM Reply

Wow, that sure was a lot of text.

Ass-Crumb
Ass-Crumb
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 05
Musician
Response to Dumbest moments of Pokemon (Anime) Aug. 21st, 2009 @ 07:32 PM Reply

Well, you seemed to have thought really deeply into this.

I don't remember much of pokemon, but that episode where Ash faces that samurai douche and they both use metapods and it just goes nowhere because they both use harden is pretty dumb.

But then that samurai used pinsir and that Metapod got fucked up yo.

Good Threads: 1 2 3 4 5
I can't see shit

BBS Signature
DM692
DM692
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 15
Audiophile

What about shorts being comfy?

And easy to wear?

BBS Signature
RedCoin
RedCoin
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 25
Blank Slate

Type weaknesses never accounted for shit. It was probably one of the most important aspects of the games, too.

BBS Signature
okai5674
okai5674
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 03
Blank Slate
Response to Dumbest moments of Pokemon (Anime) Aug. 21st, 2009 @ 07:33 PM Reply

i loved the old pokemon series back in 1998 and 2000 but now the series suck its always the same story. ash beats a gym leader everything's fine then the stupid annoying team rockets pop up pickachu or one of ash's pokemon beats them and the episodes done. pokemon is so stupid now. BRING BACK THE GOOD OL POKEMON DAYS!

Idiot-Finder
Idiot-Finder
  • Online!
Forum Stats
Level 60
Gamer
Response to Dumbest moments of Pokemon (Anime) Aug. 21st, 2009 @ 07:43 PM Reply

At 8/21/09 07:29 PM, Genocide wrote: I'm gay

Good for you

Please subscribe
"As the old saying goes...what was it again?"
.·´¯`·->YFIQ's collections of stories!<-·´¯`·.

BBS Signature
majormario
majormario
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 08
Blank Slate
Response to Dumbest moments of Pokemon (Anime) Aug. 21st, 2009 @ 07:45 PM Reply

I hated whenever there was some MINOR PROBLEM and everyone got worked up about it. "Dur...if we don't stop Team Rocket, they will rule de earth!" The only Team Rocket sqaud that ever works is Jesse and James, and they can barely manage to get anything done. Everyone comes up with the same plans, and when they decide to leave, they do the arm pump thing, and THEY ALL NOD AND SAY "OKAY" AT THE SAME TIME! And Ash...god, Pickachu if you can read this, kill the lil' bugger.

TOEZ
TOEZ
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 17
Blank Slate
Response to Dumbest moments of Pokemon (Anime) Aug. 21st, 2009 @ 07:46 PM Reply

At 8/21/09 07:32 PM, RedCoin wrote: Type weaknesses never accounted for shit. It was probably one of the most important aspects of the games, too.

Also, the "Dodge" maneuver was used constantly, almost in every single episode. It gets redundant.

The whole series. Now gtfo Newgrounds. Pokemon sucks. It was good when I was 10. And even then it wasn't good.
ITT fags who still care about pokemon

You gotta admit, you guys not being the sharpest tools in the shed is really disappointing. Learn to read, and maybe next time you won't make yourselves look like idiots.

XBL Gamertag: TrainerMarcus

BBS Signature
Boxxy
Boxxy
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 14
Blank Slate
Response to Dumbest moments of Pokemon (Anime) Aug. 21st, 2009 @ 07:51 PM Reply

At 8/21/09 07:27 PM, TOEZ wrote:
#2:
This moment from Pokemon baffled true fans as our dumb-ass Americans yet again screw up the Japanese-to-English translation: Arbok apparently evolves into Seviper?!? Wait a sec, lemme check the Pokedex... hmm wait, oh, what the heck? It's not in here! What were they thinking when they translated that?

I thought it was Suicune.

The Saiyans are a true ham and cheese sandwich, DON'T UNDERESTOMATO!

TheZachs
TheZachs
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 04
Blank Slate
Response to Dumbest moments of Pokemon (Anime) Aug. 21st, 2009 @ 07:52 PM Reply

These donuts are great!

I am at least twice the Zach TheZach is. | Co-writer to RKthrilla.

also who wins the christianity? one day i wanna be the christianity!

Chdonga
Chdonga
  • Online!
Forum Stats
Level 45
Game Developer
Response to Dumbest moments of Pokemon (Anime) Aug. 21st, 2009 @ 07:57 PM Reply

When the series finally started to be good again, Ash decided to leave his old Pokemon back the second time, run into Team Rocket on his boat trip to Sinnoh again, get Pikachu sick again, steal some random girl's bike again. The Pokwmon Diamond/Pearl series is just a repeat of Pokemon Advance but the newest broad to replace Misty is an even bigger idiot.

BBS Signature
SashaSexyFur
SashaSexyFur
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 03
Blank Slate
Response to Dumbest moments of Pokemon (Anime) Aug. 21st, 2009 @ 08:05 PM Reply

The cartoon sucked. period. It was terrible.

Yes. I'm an anthropomorphic rabbit.

BBS Signature
Loki
Loki
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 52
Writer
Response to Dumbest moments of Pokemon (Anime) Aug. 21st, 2009 @ 08:11 PM Reply

At 8/21/09 08:05 PM, SashaSexyFur wrote: The cartoon sucked. period. It was terrible.

The cartoon only? Really???

SashaSexyFur
SashaSexyFur
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 03
Blank Slate
Response to Dumbest moments of Pokemon (Anime) Aug. 21st, 2009 @ 08:12 PM Reply

At 8/21/09 08:11 PM, FBIpolux wrote:
At 8/21/09 08:05 PM, SashaSexyFur wrote: The cartoon sucked. period. It was terrible.
The cartoon only? Really???

The games were fun. Notice i said "were"

Yes. I'm an anthropomorphic rabbit.

BBS Signature
Boxxy
Boxxy
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 14
Blank Slate
Response to Dumbest moments of Pokemon (Anime) Aug. 21st, 2009 @ 08:24 PM Reply

At 8/21/09 07:52 PM, TheZachs wrote: These donuts are great!

4Kids sure hates riceballs.

The Saiyans are a true ham and cheese sandwich, DON'T UNDERESTOMATO!

Chdonga
Chdonga
  • Online!
Forum Stats
Level 45
Game Developer
Response to Dumbest moments of Pokemon (Anime) Aug. 21st, 2009 @ 09:17 PM Reply

You know the Japanese version isn't that much different than the English version. Some stuff 4kids rapes comes preraped but they rape it some more.

BBS Signature
gizmo12345
gizmo12345
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 18
Blank Slate
Response to Dumbest moments of Pokemon (Anime) Aug. 21st, 2009 @ 09:22 PM Reply

well i was like 9 when i saw pokemon the movie, and in no way did it alter my thoughts on death, even then i thought it was a stupid ending

BBS Signature
Flee
Flee
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 48
Animator
Response to Dumbest moments of Pokemon (Anime) Aug. 21st, 2009 @ 09:28 PM Reply

There should be a cartoons/comics section of newgrounds so people acting all hardcore and "adult" can do that in general.

Buffalow
Buffalow
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 08
Blank Slate
Response to Dumbest moments of Pokemon (Anime) Aug. 21st, 2009 @ 09:36 PM Reply

The fact that Ash got rid of Charzard.

Who the fuck would let Charzard go? He was the coolest Poke'mon.

Well-a Everybody's Heard About the Word, Tha-Tha-Tha Word-Word-Word the Word is the.....

BBS Signature
JmdMagic
JmdMagic
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 04
Game Developer
Response to Dumbest moments of Pokemon (Anime) Aug. 21st, 2009 @ 10:24 PM Reply

He didn't let Charizard go, it's just training at the Charific Valley.

welcum 2 da teem shieky

BBS Signature
Sawdust
Sawdust
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 10
Musician
Response to Dumbest moments of Pokemon (Anime) Aug. 21st, 2009 @ 10:29 PM Reply

It's for children. The mere fact you're analyzing for 'dumb moments' is absurd, because it's directed towards children. It's not an intellectual show in the very least, and scanning for these moments is like going to Africa to look for black people.

RockyD
RockyD
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 03
Blank Slate
Response to Dumbest moments of Pokemon (Anime) Aug. 21st, 2009 @ 10:35 PM Reply

that pikachu was so fucking strong

the 1st movie was the end of the good era
Krbyfan1
Krbyfan1
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 29
Melancholy
Response to Dumbest moments of Pokemon (Anime) Aug. 21st, 2009 @ 10:38 PM Reply

In my opinion, being the Pokemon master meant being theone who caught them all, a la the motto of the entire franchise. Yet on his journey, he never really caught Pokemon and let some of the ones he caught go.

Pile on the fact Ash has all these sissy unevolved Pokemon that really shouldn't be beating these huge, evolved Pokemon. Like how does a Pikachu defeat an Onyx? Really?

Gah, how dumb I was thinking it was worth it to watch the show before school anyway.

Krbyfan1(kur-bee-fan-one)- A creature that resides in the state of Colorado. Distinguished by his size, love of small mammals, video games, and the anime series "Tenchi Muyo!"

BBS Signature
TheZachs
TheZachs
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 04
Blank Slate
Response to Dumbest moments of Pokemon (Anime) Aug. 21st, 2009 @ 10:41 PM Reply

At 8/21/09 10:29 PM, Sawdust wrote: It's for children. The mere fact you're analyzing for 'dumb moments' is absurd, because it's directed towards children. It's not an intellectual show in the very least, and scanning for these moments is like going to Africa to look for black people.

Even children call bullshit on dumb moments in their cartoons. It's not like the show's made to be dumb. The writers are just lazy and assume, just like you, that they can let shit like that slide.

I am at least twice the Zach TheZach is. | Co-writer to RKthrilla.

also who wins the christianity? one day i wanna be the christianity!

CryogenChaos
CryogenChaos
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 11
Blank Slate
Response to Dumbest moments of Pokemon (Anime) Aug. 21st, 2009 @ 11:13 PM Reply

You want dumb moments? Try every episode Ash released a Pokemon. Butterfree I could accept because, well, it was the first episode he would release one, and I had no idea that he was going to get rid of nearly EVERY FUCKING POKEMON HE OWNED EXCEPT PIKACHU.

At 8/21/09 10:38 PM, Krbyfan1 wrote: Pile on the fact Ash has all these sissy unevolved Pokemon that really shouldn't be beating these huge, evolved Pokemon. Like how does a Pikachu defeat an Onyx? Really?

Another dumb moment. Half of Ash's badge victories stem from technicalities, such as winning using the sprinkler system.

Ash Ketchum is the worst character in the history of characters. He brings even more shame to the Pokemon franchise.