00:00
00:00
Newgrounds Background Image Theme

Kiler91 just joined the crew!

We need you on the team, too.

Support Newgrounds and get tons of perks for just $2.99!

Create a Free Account and then..

Become a Supporter!

The Newgrounds Charity Project.

23,685 Views | 50 Replies
New Topic Respond to this Topic

The Newgrounds Charity Project. 2009-08-17 21:14:38

A program is being worked out so that flash artists on Newgrounds have the opportunity to use their works in order to support a good cause. The idea is that a specific charity is given its own account on Newgrounds. That charity can then be added to a person's "Portal Buddies" list and coauthored on their flash submissions. Once coauthored, the artist can designate a portion of the flash ad revenue to be given to the charity.

Although most flashes do not produce very much via the ad revenue system, the idea is to get many authors behind the project. The more flashes that the charities are coauthored, the more that can go towards a check being sent to that charity.

As for the charity accounts themselves, all of the information connected to the account is that of the charity. All payments will be going directly to that charity and NOT a third party such as myself or Newgrounds headquarters. This keeps the integrity of the project in check.

Tom is completely aware of this project and has granted me permission to go forward with it.

As of now there are TWO charities that you can donate towards:

The Yellow Ribbon Fund

General Info:

The Yellow Ribbon Fund was created in early 2005 to assist our injured service members and their families while they recuperate at the Walter Reed Army Medical Center and the National Naval Medical Center. Our mission began when the father of an injured Marine introduced two of our volunteers to staff at Walter Reed and Bethesda Naval and they told us what needs were not met by other donors.

In almost four years contributions made through the Yellow Ribbon Fund have provided the following for injured service members and their families: 900 free rental cars: over 11,000 free taxi rides; over 4,000 free hotel room nights; and 38 families have used our five apartments for almost 4,000 nights; and hundreds of free tickets to sporting games, concerts and plays, and hundreds of lunches, dinners, golf games, duck and goose hunts, fishing trips, and other activities.

Breast Cancer Research Fund

Mission

The Breast Cancer Research Foundation (BCRF), founded in 1993 by Evelyn H. Lauder, works to achieve prevention and a cure for breast cancer in our lifetime by providing critical funding for innovative clinical and genetic research at leading medical centers worldwide, and increasing public awareness about good breast health. Since its inception, the Foundation has raised over $237 million to support clinical and genetic research at medical institutions across the globe conducting the most advanced and promising breast cancer research that will help lead to prevention and a cure in our lifetime. In October, 2008, BCRF awarded $34.5 million in new research grants to 166 scientists from top universities and academic medical centers across the globe.

Please visit the accounts for more information!

More charities will be added soon, and please feel free to request specific charities you would like to see a part of this program!

If there are any questions or concerns please place them here in this thread, along with any suggestions and support.

The way that this is going to work is if we all work towards it. It is very little to give up 5% of your total ad revenue for a great cause! If we all put a little towards it, it can make a world of difference!

Thank you all.

II II lI

BBS Signature

Response to The Newgrounds Charity Project. 2009-08-17 22:21:23

Wow, this is a really good idea. There's a very good chance I'll do this on my next flash.

BBS Signature

Response to The Newgrounds Charity Project. 2009-08-18 10:00:32

Sounds like a good idea :) An official statement from Mr. Fulp granting that the money will reach its goal is probably in order though.

Response to The Newgrounds Charity Project. 2009-08-19 15:07:10

Thank you Tom for mentioning this on the front page!

II II lI

BBS Signature

Response to The Newgrounds Charity Project. 2009-08-19 15:11:18

I just want to say that this is a great idea. Hopefully someday almost all of the flash creators will at least donate a little for every flash they create. It could make a huge difference.

Sig by fahrenheit.

BBS Signature

Response to The Newgrounds Charity Project. 2009-08-19 15:41:28

At 8/17/09 09:14 PM, ForNoReason wrote:
As for the charity accounts themselves, all of the information connected to the account is that of the charity. All payments will be going directly to that charity and NOT a third party such as myself or Newgrounds headquarters. This keeps the integrity of the project in check.

This doesn't seem to be transparent enough. I'd want some more obvious proof that the charity in question is legit (not a "fund my new computer charity!") and that some one that actually words for said charity is actually controlling the account. For there to be accountability, you would need to know who exactly was controlling the account, and how much money the account generated. I may be wrong, but i'm fairly sure that how much money charities generate is public info. If all these things were met, then i wouldn't hesitate to donate this way.

In other words, what is to stop me from making up a charity and pocketing the money, or posing as a representative for a legit charity and pocketing the money.

Fear Popo Bawa!!!

John Goodman | ¥

while(<>){chomp;print;}

Response to The Newgrounds Charity Project. 2009-08-19 15:58:47

At 8/19/09 03:41 PM, Sterance wrote:
This doesn't seem to be transparent enough. I'd want some more obvious proof that the charity in question is legit (not a "fund my new computer charity!") and that some one that actually words for said charity is actually controlling the account. For there to be accountability, you would need to know who exactly was controlling the account, and how much money the account generated. I may be wrong, but i'm fairly sure that how much money charities generate is public info. If all these things were met, then i wouldn't hesitate to donate this way.

In other words, what is to stop me from making up a charity and pocketing the money, or posing as a representative for a legit charity and pocketing the money.

A very legitimate concern, so let me explain. I personally created and am controlling these accounts. I have linked all the address info for the accounts to the charities donation department addresses. The charities themselves are not a part of the management or control of the accounts.

These accounts are just a way to give donations via a persons flash movies. Like I stated I will be controlling the accounts. I was granted permission to do this from Tom. He will be monitoring the project but cannot run it because he is a very busy person.

In order to start your own charity account you would have to get the OK from Tom. Tom is the main reason why this has legitimacy because his authorization shows that I am not in fact just pocketing the money. Also that is why I asked in the beginning for an suggestions on additional charities. It would be easier to have one person control all the accounts instead of everyone trying to create their own and there will then be an integrity issue.

If everyone would like I would be more than happy to post the monthly earnings of these accounts so everyone can see how they are doing!

I hope this cleared up any questions or concerns anyone might have had.

II II lI

BBS Signature

Response to The Newgrounds Charity Project. 2009-08-19 16:06:27

At 8/19/09 03:58 PM, ForNoReason wrote:
A very legitimate concern, so let me explain. I personally created and am controlling these accounts. I have linked all the address info for the accounts to the charities donation department addresses. The charities themselves are not a part of the management or control of the accounts.

These accounts are just a way to give donations via a persons flash movies. Like I stated I will be controlling the accounts. I was granted permission to do this from Tom. He will be monitoring the project but cannot run it because he is a very busy person.

In order to start your own charity account you would have to get the OK from Tom. Tom is the main reason why this has legitimacy because his authorization shows that I am not in fact just pocketing the money. Also that is why I asked in the beginning for an suggestions on additional charities. It would be easier to have one person control all the accounts instead of everyone trying to create their own and there will then be an integrity issue.

If everyone would like I would be more than happy to post the monthly earnings of these accounts so everyone can see how they are doing!

I hope this cleared up any questions or concerns anyone might have had.

That does clear up most of my questions, and posting the monthly earnings would be a good idea. I'm glad to hear Tom is watching over it because that does give it more legitimacy. One last question i have is how exactly will the account's revenues be donated? Have the charities info been entered into the accounts, or are you just going to mail them the checks yourself? thanks for the reply

Fear Popo Bawa!!!

John Goodman | ¥

while(<>){chomp;print;}

Response to The Newgrounds Charity Project. 2009-08-19 16:14:46

At 8/19/09 04:06 PM, Sterance wrote:

That does clear up most of my questions, and posting the monthly earnings would be a good idea. I'm glad to hear Tom is watching over it because that does give it more legitimacy. One last question i have is how exactly will the account's revenues be donated? Have the charities info been entered into the accounts, or are you just going to mail them the checks yourself? thanks for the reply

I will NEVER touch a cent of the money! ALL the money goes to the charities themselves! All of their info is linked to the account. Once the account earns $50+ a check will be sent out to the address on file. That address is the address for the charity. The payments are all controlled by Newgrounds and their Ad Revenue system.

II II lI

BBS Signature

Response to The Newgrounds Charity Project. 2009-08-19 18:26:05

DAMN GIRL. I am so using this thing! GREAT JOB MAN!!!

Response to The Newgrounds Charity Project. 2009-08-19 20:18:05

LOL this charity fella will be king of the portal in no time.

Response to The Newgrounds Charity Project. 2009-08-20 02:22:07

This is a brilliant idea.

We had some good times, Newgrounds.

BBS Signature

Response to The Newgrounds Charity Project. 2009-08-20 20:34:02

I have been getting a lot of PMs in support of this entire thing! I just want to say thank you to those showing interest and already supporting these charities! I am sure all the people who these charities help will be even more grateful.

Some extra notes:

For those who do not wish to add the accounts to their buddy lists but still want to donate, you can always use the "Non Credited Authors" on the flash edit/submit page. Just enter the screen name of the charity and you will be good to go. This way you can make a private donation and/or not give up coauthor slots. Say for a collab or something like that.

I am hoping to add a few more charities soon, but I would also like feedback on any charities or groups the people of Newgrounds would like to see in the project.

Thanks again.

II II lI

BBS Signature

Response to The Newgrounds Charity Project. 2009-08-20 21:20:43

I have added BreastCancer for flash portal buddies and I am planning on giving 40% of the money I get from my next movie, this is a great idea!

Response to The Newgrounds Charity Project. 2009-08-20 21:43:34

At 8/20/09 09:20 PM, Zyphonee wrote: I have added BreastCancer for flash portal buddies and I am planning on giving 40% of the money I get from my next movie, this is a great idea!

I would've added breastcancer, but their icon isn't very good quality. Could you fix that, FNR?
Other than that, I'm totally going to give all of the revenue made from all of my future games to charity.

BBS Signature

Response to The Newgrounds Charity Project. 2009-08-20 22:14:03

At 8/20/09 09:43 PM, Magical-Zorse wrote:
I would've added breastcancer, but their icon isn't very good quality. Could you fix that, FNR?
Other than that, I'm totally going to give all of the revenue made from all of my future games to charity.

Sure thing! Thanks for the support.

II II lI

BBS Signature

Response to The Newgrounds Charity Project. 2009-08-20 22:23:59

At 8/20/09 10:14 PM, ForNoReason wrote:

Awesome, and just a question.
What if people start abusing this and co-author the charities on spam and general crap flash? Won't it make them look bad?

BBS Signature

Response to The Newgrounds Charity Project. 2009-08-20 22:33:44

At 8/20/09 10:23 PM, Magical-Zorse wrote:
At 8/20/09 10:14 PM, ForNoReason wrote:
Awesome, and just a question.
What if people start abusing this and co-author the charities on spam and general crap flash? Won't it make them look bad?

I am doing my best to review the person's account before I accept the buddy request. If they have "adult" or "spam" flash then I will contact them and let them know that those types of flashes would not be appropriate to link to a charity and ask that they make a private donation instead. Hopefully it will not be to big of a problem.

I can always block the person from the portal buddies list if it becomes an issue.

I am not going to reject someone from supporting the charities if they are not the greatest flash artists. If anything it will get the charities more recognition and show the support that Newgrounds is giving them. From the greatest artists to even the beginners.

However, I will not allow the charities to be connected with crude, hateful, or adult related flashes. Hopefully people will have better sense than that.

II II lI

BBS Signature

Response to The Newgrounds Charity Project. 2009-08-20 23:13:42

This is an awesome idea :D
I think that Doctors Without Borders would be a good charity to add to the list... They give medical help to people who normally wouldn't be able to get it =]

BBS Signature

Response to The Newgrounds Charity Project. 2009-08-22 11:48:37

At 8/20/09 11:13 PM, JazLovesMusic wrote: This is an awesome idea :D
I think that Doctors Without Borders would be a good charity to add to the list... They give medical help to people who normally wouldn't be able to get it =]

That is a great idea! I am looking into them to make sure everything will be good to go. They require a donation form to be sent with every donation. I am contacting them to see if they will still take donations without one.

Once everything clears and is good I think that would be a great charity to be part of the project!

Thanks!

II II lI

BBS Signature

Response to The Newgrounds Charity Project. 2009-10-02 18:27:14

I just wanted to remind everyone that October is Breast Cancer Awareness month!

So when posting your flashes this month consider a donation to the Breast Cancer Research Foundation.

I am still working on getting some other charity accounts attached to the project. I have just been really busy lately.

Thanks again to everyone for their support and lets keep this going strong!

II II lI

BBS Signature

Response to The Newgrounds Charity Project. 2009-10-02 19:00:11

Thats Brilliant! Glad your doing this for a good cause.

Response to The Newgrounds Charity Project. 2009-10-13 17:28:40

At 10/2/09 07:00 PM, Newbie99 wrote: Thats Brilliant! Glad your doing this for a good cause.

Thank you for the support.

II II lI

BBS Signature

Response to The Newgrounds Charity Project. 2009-10-13 17:42:30

What a brilliant idea, never heard of this until now. I'll be sure to add one of those causes as co-author for my next project.

BBS Signature

Response to The Newgrounds Charity Project. 2009-10-27 16:03:35

I just realized that in my original post I forgot to mention a charity.

Child's Play

General Info:

Since 2003, over 100,000 gamers worldwide have banded together through Child's Play, a community based charity grown and nurtured from the game culture and industry. Over 3.5 million dollars in donations of toys, games, books and cash for sick kids in children's hospitals across North America and the world have been collected since our inception.

This Charity is not managed by me. Instead it is managed by Tom directly. You can add it as a noncredited coauthor in order to make donations!

II II lI

BBS Signature

Response to The Newgrounds Charity Project. 2009-11-10 17:24:00

If you would like to help and spread the word about this project, there is now a sig to do just that. Thanks to michelinman for its creation!

II II lI

BBS Signature

Response to The Newgrounds Charity Project. 2009-11-10 18:37:12

At 11/10/09 05:24 PM, ForNoReason wrote: If you would like to help and spread the word about this project, there is now a sig to do just that. Thanks to michelinman for its creation!

great Idea once I got nine cents from getting FP'd for a day.

BBS Signature

Response to The Newgrounds Charity Project. 2009-11-11 13:50:47

I made this one too if anyone would be willing to wear it around. I'm going to keep it for the rest of the month to try and help get the word out. I really like this idea. I agree that a statement is needed from Tom to guarantee the money is going where it's supposed to though. Has anyone PM'ed him?

Response to The Newgrounds Charity Project. 2009-11-11 13:56:31

At 11/11/09 01:50 PM, michelinman wrote: I made this one too if anyone would be willing to wear it around. I'm going to keep it for the rest of the month to try and help get the word out. I really like this idea. I agree that a statement is needed from Tom to guarantee the money is going where it's supposed to though. Has anyone PM'ed him?

Thank you for your help and support man! It means a lot to have users behind this. Also, I contacted Tom back when I started this thing and I got his OK to do this. He made a front page post endorsing the accounts. Letting everyone know that it is all A-OK :)

II II lI

BBS Signature

Response to The Newgrounds Charity Project. 2009-11-12 07:51:52

At 11/12/09 07:26 AM, citricsquid wrote: I'm interested in seeing a full list of the accounts, is there one? Apologies if I missed it, but I don't see anything. I want to do this for a submission :) Also how many people have done it so far?

The accounts are

The Yellow Ribbon Fund

The Breast Cancer Research Fund

Child's Play Charity

Also, around 20 members have so far contributed to the project as far as the Yellow Ribbon and Breast Cancer Research Fund accounts are concerned. The Child's Play account is run directly by Tom and I am unsure how many people have contributed towards it. I know the PO3 competition directly supports that charity account.

II II lI

BBS Signature