00:00
00:00
Newgrounds Background Image Theme

SpeakyDooman just joined the crew!

We need you on the team, too.

Support Newgrounds and get tons of perks for just $2.99!

Create a Free Account and then..

Become a Supporter!

American Football Discussion

295,173 Views | 4,005 Replies
New Topic Respond to this Topic

American Football Discussion 2009-08-14 19:20:57

Seeing how the previous thread somehow got nuked, send all your gridiron-related musings here.

Response to American Football Discussion 2009-08-14 19:56:14

I'm down. I'm a big Raiders fan. I'm worried as hell about their season this year though. Everyone made a big issue about them drafting Darrius Howard-Bey instead of Michael Crabtree, even though i think they made the right call. The Raiders have enough experience with cocky wide receivers (Randy Moss) to last them a lifetime, and I don't think Crabtree is going to work to improve himself much. To me the Raiders look decent on paper, but with so much disapproval coming from the media and so many young guys on the team, I'm really worried about it all getting in their head. I predict that they will break their 5 year streak of winning 5 or less games each year. Haha.

Anyways, did you guys see the Eagles picked up Michael Vick?!

Response to American Football Discussion 2009-08-14 20:40:44

I know, that's some messed up shit.

"A witty quote proves nothing."

~Voltaire

BBS Signature

Response to American Football Discussion 2009-08-14 20:57:55

At 8/14/09 08:40 PM, TheShrike wrote:
I know, that's some messed up shit.

Last I heard, the fan reaction was down the middle on that move. Some fans at the Eagles-Pats pre season game were cheering about Vick, and others were lamenting the decision.

I think that the man should be given a second chance. Besides jail time he's been doing charity work which is heavily publicized and he's speaking out against dog fighting. I know he's doing this because he essentially has to to improve his image but there is some good coming out of it. He'd have to be very stupid to do anything wrong like that again and if he's caught doing it again, then there should no problem giving him a life time ban.

Sig by THEJamoke Contributor to PONIES: The Anthology 2 and Anthology 3 Go watch them now!

BBS Signature

Response to American Football Discussion 2009-08-14 22:09:44

At 8/14/09 08:57 PM, 36Holla wrote: I think that the man should be given a second chance. Besides jail time he's been doing charity work which is heavily publicized and he's speaking out against dog fighting. I know he's doing this because he essentially has to to improve his image but there is some good coming out of it. He'd have to be very stupid to do anything wrong like that again and if he's caught doing it again, then there should no problem giving him a life time ban.

I agree with this completely. The move by the eagles picking him up is more of an issue to me than vick being reinstated in general though. The eagles have been half assed about donovan mcnabb for the last couple years. They expect him to perform, yet they constantly demean him and make public announcements about release, trades, etc, as a way to calm down the philly fans over the bad seasons lately. Mcnabb is a great QB, he just needs to be given a proper chance to do his thing with a clear head. Regardless, he IS their starter and can easily turn things around. By adding in vick, who is now a huge controversial figure, they took a situation that they should have just buried, let mcnabb get out of the press a little bit, get his head back in the game, and blew it into the story of the offseason. Mcnabb isn't going to have a clear head starting off this season and Vick isn't going to come in ready to start probably for a year or so after being out for so long. Without a healthy, spirited mcnabb, this offense will not perform. He is the figurehead of the eagles offense, and they're fucking it up. The eagles have just effectively fucked themselves into another shithole season in my eyes.

Response to American Football Discussion 2009-08-14 23:21:15

I know what happened, McDaniels knew we were on to something when he made Cutler cry so he blackmailed Wade by threatening to trade him to the Cleveland Steamers if he don't Michael Vick this thread.

That's what happened.

Please subscribe

"As the old saying goes...what was it again?"

.·´¯`·->YFIQ's collections of stories!<-·´¯`·.

BBS Signature

Response to American Football Discussion 2009-08-15 01:23:43

I don't have a problem with Vick; I actually kind of support him. I don't see why so many people are up in arms like "Oh my god, this horrible man shouldn't be allowed in the community." Fuck when you look at some of his peers I don't think Vick's crime was all that terrible. I mean, Stallworth fucking KILLED SOMEBODY, old Plaxico is running around like a hooligan/packing heat shooting his piece off in crowded clubs, Chris Henry is doing his thing, Travis Henry's trafficking cocaine... Matt Jones is probably his biggest customer.

The list goes on and on and on and on... In fact the list is so long, I'm beginning to wonder when Roger Goodell will consider changing the NFL's name to the Negro Felon League, and by no means is Vick the most heinous of the bunch. Hopefully he can perform well and let his play push his off-field indiscretions to the back burner - along the lines of Ray Lewis, who not too long ago was facing double homicide charges.

In ACTUAL Football news, related to the game as it is played on the field; Tom Brady looked pretty good in his return: pre-season or not. I'm starting to think the Patriots might be able to quietly put together another very good season. Though their D may not be what it used to be, if there offense clicks like it can, it might not matter.

A friend in need is a friend indeed, but a friend with weed is better.

BBS Signature

Response to American Football Discussion 2009-08-15 04:02:50

At 8/15/09 01:23 AM, EternitySpent wrote: In ACTUAL Football news, related to the game as it is played on the field; Tom Brady looked pretty good in his return: pre-season or not. I'm starting to think the Patriots might be able to quietly put together another very good season. Though their D may not be what it used to be, if there offense clicks like it can, it might not matter.

Nothing about the Patriots having a good season will be quiet. The media (ESPN) loves them and if Tom Brady does well, which I believe he will, it's going to be a big news story since there's been the speculation of how he would do after his surgery. Frankly, most QBs in the NFL would do well behind the Patriots O-line so barring another freak injury, Brady will probably have a good season, and the media will be there every step of the way.

Sig by THEJamoke Contributor to PONIES: The Anthology 2 and Anthology 3 Go watch them now!

BBS Signature

Response to American Football Discussion 2009-08-15 04:51:50

Oh and as something random I noticed tonight. Brit Miller, who was a linebacker at University of Illinois while I attended school there, caught two touchdowns in the 49ers - Broncos game and yet he's still listed as a LB. I've used to certain positions such as QB or punt/kick returners being converted to a receiver, but a linebacker? How often does that happen?

BBS Signature

Response to American Football Discussion 2009-08-16 15:05:16

At 8/15/09 04:51 AM, 36Holla wrote: being converted to a receiver, but a linebacker? How often does that happen?

It's not that unfounded, I mean really if you think about it an agile LB with good hands basically = the ideal Tight End. I've seen it a few times in the CFL, where teams put linebackers in as tight ends in goal line scenarios, because they are good blockers and big targets for a short yardage reception. It's less applicable in the NFL I guess, but with the right personnel I could see how it might be effective.

Nothing about the Patriots having a good season will be quiet. The media (ESPN) loves them

They do love to Jock the Patriots cock, but I guess I meant quiet as a relative term, because they can't possibly be as scrutinized as they were last season: "How will they respond from 18-1?/Is Bellichek a cheater?/How will they do without Brady?/Who is Matt Cassel?/Is Randy Moss' penis size affecting his route running?" Again though, it's not unfounded I suppose; with respect to the Steelers and Colts - the Patriots have been the NFL's most dominant force for the past decade.

Too many question marks is Kansas City I think. I like the addition of Vrabel, but I think it's too big a leap of faith to say that Larry Johnson, Bobby Engram and Amani Toomer are all going to turn it around and have good seasons. Particularly with an unproven quaterback in Cassel.

BBS Signature

Response to American Football Discussion 2009-08-16 17:16:09

Raiders took down the Cowboys 31-10. I know it's only preseason, but it doesn't hurt to get a good vibe going. Between Bush, Fargas, and McFadden, we can run over ANYONE. Especially since Lorenzo Neal got added at fullback this off-season. Hopefully Jemarcus can just step it up and reach his potential this year. If that happens I think we'll be in business to challenge for 2nd in the division, if not take it.

Response to American Football Discussion 2009-08-17 01:29:20

At 8/16/09 05:16 PM, michelinman wrote: Raiders took down the Cowboys 31-10. I know it's only preseason, but it doesn't hurt to get a good vibe going. Between Bush, Fargas, and McFadden, we can run over ANYONE. Especially since Lorenzo Neal got added at fullback this off-season. Hopefully Jemarcus can just step it up and reach his potential this year. If that happens I think we'll be in business to challenge for 2nd in the division, if not take it.

The thing is, when was the Dallas 2nd and 3rd team defense put it? Pre season games are notorious for being unreliable in predicting how a team will do in the regular season because teams are switching out players so often that even a good team can fall to a bad one from lack of chemistry or not having their best players out. I wouldn't mind the Raiders improving this year, but I don't see them beating Dallas in the regular season like that.

BBS Signature

Response to American Football Discussion 2009-08-17 09:20:10

At 8/17/09 01:29 AM, 36Holla wrote: The thing is, when was the Dallas 2nd and 3rd team defense put it? Pre season games are notorious for being unreliable in predicting how a team will do in the regular season because teams are switching out players so often that even a good team can fall to a bad one from lack of chemistry or not having their best players out. I wouldn't mind the Raiders improving this year, but I don't see them beating Dallas in the regular season like that.

Oh trust me, I know preseason means extremely little. The Raiders went 4-1 during the preseason one year and ended up going 5-11 on the season. I watched the game though, and with the running back core they have, they can pretty much do it all. They also finished the season strong winning the last two games of the season, with Bush running for 170 something yards against the Buccaneers knocking them out of playoff contention (THAT'S FOR 2001 SUPER BOWL BITCHES), Justin Fargas still led the team in rushing yards, and Darren McFadden who was explosive last year, just plagued with injuries. And with the way Dallas' franchise has been kind of imploding lately, and how the Raiders have been coming together under a coach that all the players love, getting rid of all of everyone who isn't a team player, I really like them this year. I think the Raiders are a better team this year. Though yes, the preseason means virtually nothing.

Response to American Football Discussion 2009-08-18 00:02:11

At 8/17/09 09:20 AM, michelinman wrote:
At 8/17/09 01:29 AM, 36Holla wrote: The thing is, when was the Dallas 2nd and 3rd team defense put it? Pre season games are notorious for being unreliable in predicting how a team will do in the regular season because teams are switching out players so often that even a good team can fall to a bad one from lack of chemistry or not having their best players out. I wouldn't mind the Raiders improving this year, but I don't see them beating Dallas in the regular season like that.
Oh trust me, I know preseason means extremely little. The Raiders went 4-1 during the preseason one year and ended up going 5-11 on the season. I watched the game though, and with the running back core they have, they can pretty much do it all. They also finished the season strong winning the last two games of the season, with Bush running for 170 something yards against the Buccaneers knocking them out of playoff contention (THAT'S FOR 2001 SUPER BOWL BITCHES), Justin Fargas still led the team in rushing yards, and Darren McFadden who was explosive last year, just plagued with injuries. And with the way Dallas' franchise has been kind of imploding lately, and how the Raiders have been coming together under a coach that all the players love, getting rid of all of everyone who isn't a team player, I really like them this year. I think the Raiders are a better team this year. Though yes, the preseason means virtually nothing.

Sounds like a feel good story in the making. The Raiders have been out of contention for so long that they qualify to be one of those underdog teams that has upside and might be a darkhorse candidate to make the playoffs.

It sounds better than my team (Da Bears) at least with Cutler already causing drama with Devin Hester. I'm really trying to like Cutler, but to me he comes off as this guy who thinks he knows everything about the game even though he's still had only a few years in the league. Maybe it's how he says it, but I think of him as a cocky kid more than a professional.

Also I did a double take when I saw your variation of my sig. You watch Trailer Park Boys at all?

BBS Signature

Response to American Football Discussion 2009-08-18 01:17:07

At 8/18/09 12:02 AM, 36Holla wrote: Sounds like a feel good story in the making. The Raiders have been out of contention for so long that they qualify to be one of those underdog teams that has upside and might be a darkhorse candidate to make the playoffs.

They've definitely got a chip on their shoulder. They're going to be really subjective to what happens though as a young team. If they start on a winning streak, then they're gonna probably do well this year, if they start on a losing streak, they'll probably wind up 5-11 again. They just need to get some momentum built up. Hopefully having a good coach for once and winning the last two games of the year will roll over into the start of this season.

It sounds better than my team (Da Bears) at least with Cutler already causing drama with Devin Hester. I'm really trying to like Cutler, but to me he comes off as this guy who thinks he knows everything about the game even though he's still had only a few years in the league. Maybe it's how he says it, but I think of him as a cocky kid more than a professional.

You can't blame the bears for throwing away all their inhibitions and going after a somewhat proven quarterback though. It seems like no matter how hyped up a QB is, if they go to the bears, in a few years, they're 3rd string on some different team at the bottom of their division. I grew up in Illinois, so I definitely know my fair share of Bears fans. I'd like to see them do well, but the situation reminds me a lot of the raiders the year they lost the Super Bowl. I can't imagine how demoralizing it must be to have that much momentum (for the Raiders, they had just been on fire, and where out for blood, for the Bears, it was starting off with the kick return for a touchdown and the interception. That game looked over right off the bat) in the Super Bowl and having it swept out from under you. If Cutler can get off his high horse, I could see them being a sleeper too. The benefit for both of them is that they are in relatively easy divisions for the next season. With a quick start out of the gate, anything can happen.

Also I did a double take when I saw your variation of my sig. You watch Trailer Park Boys at all?

Never heard of it. The picture of the guy reminded me of Travis from the special poetry slam, plus I thought it was funny to begin with (stupid mormons) and it combined into me making a parody. Haha. I'm gonna look up that show on youtube now though. I'm curious.

Response to American Football Discussion 2009-08-18 04:15:23

I've heard it said that the NFL is a better league when Oakland is good and I tend to agree; who doesn't love to hate the Raiders? Although it's hard to be too enthused at this point. Al Davis is FUCKED, so you never know what's going to happen, especially when a lot of the hope is riding on JeMarcus... first off what kind of fucking name is JeMarcus? I'm not sold that he is a first string QB of NFL caliber. Yeah I know he's young and growing pains are to be expected, but he seems to be going along the path of Vince Young and Tavaris Jackson, on his way to becoming a big time bust as opposed to a big time star.

Like Cutler or not, the guys got a rocket for an arm and he can make big things happen; I think it must've been before my time the last time you could say that about a Bears quarterback.

Also, lol: "Apparently the Brett Favre saga in Minnesota is not yet over. FoxSports.com reports that the currently retired quarterback could still be a Viking by the end of August. According to the FoxSports.com story, unnamed players in Vikings camp believe it will be when, not if, Favre will return. 'I'm telling you it's already done,' one Viking was quoted as saying in the story. 'I don't think anyone here doesn't think that.'"

Also, Trailer Parks Boys is one of the funniest shows on TV or it was at least. Though I can't say I much cared for that Bible Pimp episode.

BBS Signature

Response to American Football Discussion 2009-08-18 11:31:48

A source has said that Brett Favre will sign with the Minnesota Vikings pending a physical for about $10 to $12 million.

As a Bears fan this son of a bitch has haunted me since 1992,LEAVE ME ALONE! ;_;

NOW IS WHEN YOU RAM HAPPY WITH LIFE SAUCE. PSN Screenname - Mooglejoke Wii U Network ID - Mooglejoke - Nintendo 3DS Friend Code 4768-8871-1657

BBS Signature

Response to American Football Discussion 2009-08-18 11:36:40

At 8/18/09 11:31 AM, Molotov wrote: A source has said that Brett Favre will sign with the Minnesota Vikings pending a physical for about $10 to $12 million.

As a Bears fan this son of a bitch has haunted me since 1992,LEAVE ME ALONE! ;_;

Next season he'll sign a contract with the Chicago Bulls...

Please subscribe

BBS Signature

Response to American Football Discussion 2009-08-18 12:06:18

At 8/18/09 11:36 AM, Idiot-Finder wrote:
At 8/18/09 11:31 AM, Molotov wrote: A source has said that Brett Favre will sign with the Minnesota Vikings pending a physical for about $10 to $12 million.

Not even Mr.Favre would take it to the court,if anything he will go to the Detroit Lions. -_-

Either way it's happening and all those damn records are gonna make a bigger gap for Brady or Manning (Peyton).

NOW IS WHEN YOU RAM HAPPY WITH LIFE SAUCE. PSN Screenname - Mooglejoke Wii U Network ID - Mooglejoke - Nintendo 3DS Friend Code 4768-8871-1657

BBS Signature

Response to American Football Discussion 2009-08-18 12:41:06

Why would he go to the lions? They've got Daunte Culpepper, and Matt Stafford. I don't think they're gonna be willing to drop that kind of money on another franchise QB. Besides, several players on the vikings team said it isn't an issue of if, it's when. And I watched a couple clips of the Trailer Park Boys, and it looks funny as hell. It turns out there is a movie. You guys ever seen it? I'd like to know if it's good or not before I watch it.

Response to American Football Discussion 2009-08-18 13:11:50

anything that gets chilly fired quicker is good i guess

Response to American Football Discussion 2009-08-18 21:02:22

Favre has now replaced John Kerry as the biggest flip flopper this century. Also why the NFC North? Haven't you done enough damage Brett? Now you want to be a constant pain in the side of my favorite team? (but mostly the Packers) You've got some balls.

BBS Signature

Response to American Football Discussion 2009-08-18 23:56:41

At 8/18/09 09:02 PM, 36Holla wrote: Favre has now replaced John Kerry as the biggest flip flopper this century. Also why the NFC North? Haven't you done enough damage Brett? Now you want to be a constant pain in the side of my favorite team? (but mostly the Packers) You've got some balls.

I know it's lame, but imagine if you were a packers fan. I don't watch too much from the nfc, but I'll definitely be checking out the home game when the packers host the vikings. I can't wait to see how lombardi field welcomes back Favre. I bet it's not gonna be pretty. He should've just left his legacy alone and went down in history as one of the packers best players of all time. Now he's going to taint his view in packers fans eyes by joining the enemy. What a dumbass. He should've retired before his stint with the jets, and if he desperately wants to play still, I'm sure he could've found a job with a team that wouldn't make him look like an idiot for playing with.

Response to American Football Discussion 2009-08-19 02:13:55

Chargers all the way! Hopefully Rivers can get his shit in gear and LT stay healthy

XBL GT: SleepyB 408

I Xbox 360 Club I MLB Club I

BBS Signature

Response to American Football Discussion 2009-08-20 19:34:51

At 8/18/09 09:02 PM, 36Holla wrote: Favre has now replaced John Kerry as the biggest flip flopper this century. Also why the NFC North? Haven't you done enough damage Brett? Now you want to be a constant pain in the side of my favorite team? (but mostly the Packers) You've got some balls.

Fuck Brett Favre. He used to be my favorite player. Then he went to the Jets and I didn't like him. Now I hope he dies in an accident at the Vikings practice facility. I also hope he's the only one who gets hurt.

You can't spell FÜHRER without Ü

"You know you fail in life when you fail to end your failure"

Response to American Football Discussion 2009-08-20 21:17:09

At 8/19/09 02:13 AM, Crashman wrote: Chargers all the way! Hopefully Rivers can get his shit in gear and LT stay healthy

Whatever. Get ready to lose the division for the first time in a few years bitch. Raiders are gonna run all over your weak ass D. You'll probably lose Merrimans fragile ass from a broken knee or something sometime in the rest of the pre-season, then you'll have nothing. Haha.

Response to American Football Discussion 2009-08-20 21:35:03

At 8/20/09 09:17 PM, michelinman wrote:
At 8/19/09 02:13 AM, Crashman wrote: Chargers all the way! Hopefully Rivers can get his shit in gear and LT stay healthy
Whatever. Get ready to lose the division for the first time in a few years bitch. Raiders are gonna run all over your weak ass D. You'll probably lose Merrimans fragile ass from a broken knee or something sometime in the rest of the pre-season, then you'll have nothing. Haha.

A head coach assaulting someone isn't a sign of toughness just to let you know.

The Raiders will have to pull off the impossible to to this.

Please subscribe

BBS Signature

Response to American Football Discussion 2009-08-20 21:50:25

At 8/20/09 09:35 PM, Idiot-Finder wrote: A head coach assaulting someone isn't a sign of toughness just to let you know.

The Raiders will have to pull off the impossible to to this.

Watch this. They don't even talk about what a fuck up the dude was that got hit that much. He got suspended right before Kiffen left, and he was talking shit about the defensive coordinator. Cable is passionate about this team and looking out for his guys. This is the type of thing that brings teams together. I was exaggerating a little about passing up the Chargers, even though that is possible because that team is completely unpredictable every year, but the Raiders are easily number 2 in the division with KC coming off of that terrible season, and all the drama in Denver that has left them without a leader. Don't be surprised if the Raiders go 8-8 or a little better and sneak into the playoffs. They're starting to look the way they did before this 5 year slump again. The only major question mark is Jemarcus Russell. The Raiders don't need him to have a great year to succeed with the running back core they've got, but if he can come out of the box this year, with Jevon Walker and Chaz Shilens both healthy and excited about the new season, this offense looks GREAT. Don't expect Darrius Howard-Bey to catch a lot of balls, but when he goes deep, he's gonna take his corner and a safety with him, opening the middle for Walker, Miller, Higgins, and Shilens. I'm stoked about this year, and I haven't been for a LONG time.

Response to American Football Discussion 2009-08-20 23:13:48

At 8/20/09 09:17 PM, michelinman wrote: Whatever. Get ready to lose the division for the first time in a few years bitch. Raiders are gonna run all over your weak ass D. You'll probably lose Merrimans fragile ass from a broken knee or something sometime in the rest of the pre-season, then you'll have nothing. Haha.

Your quarterback did extremely well against the 49ers in their skrimage where I live.

wait.....

XBL GT: SleepyB 408

I Xbox 360 Club I MLB Club I

BBS Signature

Response to American Football Discussion 2009-08-20 23:26:58

At 8/20/09 11:13 PM, Crashman wrote:
At 8/20/09 09:17 PM, michelinman wrote: Whatever. Get ready to lose the division for the first time in a few years bitch. Raiders are gonna run all over your weak ass D. You'll probably lose Merrimans fragile ass from a broken knee or something sometime in the rest of the pre-season, then you'll have nothing. Haha.
Your quarterback did extremely well against the 49ers in their skrimage where I live.

wait.....

Justin Fargas, Michael Bush, Darren McFadden. Fuck a quarterback. If he does shitty this year, we'll just throw Jeff Garcia in, and roll with it.