johnathan-wrathborne
johnathan-wrathborne
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Supporter
Level 38
Blank Slate
Fog effects... Aug. 13th, 2009 @ 10:32 PM Reply

Well I cant seem to get decent looking fog effects and thought I'd inquire here and see if anyone has any tips to share on getting some good quality Fog.

The blur option isnt giving me quite what I want and I thought I'd ask.

I'm using flash MX 2004.

jakex09
jakex09
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 07
Filmmaker
Response to Fog effects... Aug. 13th, 2009 @ 10:49 PM Reply

Im using flash mx 2004 too. I would just make how you want the fog to look, use the blur effect, and the alpha and brightness and stuff like that. I dont know if that helps you but thats what i would do other than finding a picture and pasting it in there as fog.

Jakex09 is not responsible for any damages left in your brain. If you start to see signs such as "Stop" and "Yeild" you may need to see a doctor. Dont do drugs kidz!

BBS Signature
Brad
Brad
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 11
Blank Slate
Response to Fog effects... Aug. 13th, 2009 @ 11:09 PM Reply

You're going to have to do a various amounts of thing. One being the main fog base, which should be alpha'd enough to be difficult, but possible to see through. Next you want some fog disappearing around the tip, or edge per say. So make some basic grey circles, Modify>shape>soften fill edges
Make these MC's and turn their alphas accordingly during their tween from visible to invisible (as they dissipate into air) as a final step you can blur the objects behind / in the fog, using the blur feature as you know how to use, this will hopefully add to the effect as well. This is what I would do anyways.

Kart-Man
Kart-Man
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 27
Blank Slate
Response to Fog effects... Aug. 13th, 2009 @ 11:12 PM Reply

There's an easy way to make fog if you have Photoshop:

1) Open PS and create a new document that matches the size of your Flash properties.
2) Press the "D" key to set your color selection to black with a secondary color of white.
3) Go to Filter > Render > Clouds

---

You'll now have a wispy-looking background. But what if you want to animate the fog using a tween? If you do, read the next steps. If not, skip to the next section.

4) Go to Filter > Other > Offset. Set the horizontal and vertical sliders so that the number is HALF of the Photoshop document size. For example, if your document size is 600 x 400, set the horizontal slider to 300 and the vertical to 200.
5) You'll now see that your image has been wrapped around, leaving the appearance of 4 different sections. You don't want that there; smooth it out by using the Clone Stamp (S) and the Healing Brush (J) with a soft brush.

---

Now what you need to do is make the black space transparent so that you will be able to see through the fog.

6) Press Ctrl + I to invert all of the colors (so black becomes white and vice versa).
7) Press Ctrl + A to select everything that is on the layer. Go to Edit > Define Brush from Selection. Name your brush to "Fog" or something similar.

8) Delete everything on your layer.

9) Select the Brush tool (press B) and right-click to bring up the brush selection panel. You should see your new Fog brush in the panel. Select it, then line it up with the edges of your document. Click, and then you'll now have a nice translucent fog! Play around with the Opacity slider if you want the fog to be less thick.

10) Save as a .png with the Transparent setting on.
11) Import the .png file into Flash, AND YOU'RE DONE!

Example of what it could look like in your Flash movie BELOW!

Fog effects...

postcount +=1;
Newgrounds Photoshop Headquarters || Don't use MS Paint! Use Aviary!
SING US A SING YOU'RE THE PIANO MAN

BBS Signature
johnathan-wrathborne
johnathan-wrathborne
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Supporter
Level 38
Blank Slate
Response to Fog effects... Aug. 14th, 2009 @ 02:36 AM Reply

Ah, I had hoped to not have to use photoshop, but that looks quite good, so I guess I'll have to just bite the bullet on this one. I'd be more enthusiastic if I didnt have less than 2 months to put out my project...Stupid artist block.

Bleh.

But everyone help was appreciated.