00:00
00:00
Newgrounds Background Image Theme

SpeakyDooman just joined the crew!

We need you on the team, too.

Support Newgrounds and get tons of perks for just $2.99!

Create a Free Account and then..

Become a Supporter!

Need some pointers...

717 Views | 8 Replies
New Topic Respond to this Topic

Need some pointers... 2009-08-13 08:28:51

Hi everyone,

I recently got a graphics tablet, and I'm loving it. I think I've got used to the sketching of pictures on the tablet to what I would have on Pencil + Paper. Because I never really colouring my pictures at all when I drew and preferred alot more to shade them to show variation of light, dark colours and light and shadow also, I think I have to work alot harder on the colouring and focus on that. Obviously my sketching isn't amazing, but I draw to get into my own space really but would like to make it a daily hobby if you see what I mean.

The main art style I would like is Comic art, and seeing I'm new to graphics tablets and even the style of comic art, could you please point me in the right direction of were I could read up and learn something's. Also If you have any experience in drawing comics it would be awesome to hear what you did to become good at it.

Well thanks for the advise in advance, I'll leave you with something I done earlier today. Thanks :)

Ammo

Need some pointers...

Response to Need some pointers... 2009-08-13 08:50:28

its not terrible but it does need some work in the anatomy department for example he doesn't have a neck and the angle for the right hand looks off. but with anything all thats needed is practice so just work on the anatomy and it would be gd to see it finished

Response to Need some pointers... 2009-08-13 08:57:57

At 8/13/09 08:50 AM, JustJoshy wrote: its not terrible but it does need some work in the anatomy department for example he doesn't have a neck and the angle for the right hand looks off. but with anything all thats needed is practice so just work on the anatomy and it would be gd to see it finished

Hey thanks for the advise :)
I agree with everything your saying there. There is no neck which does look strange lol. The right hand is also overlapped onto the body which it shouldn't be. I think I will be practising on drawing full body, hands etc. Here's a sketch I done, I call it Cub Scout. I think I will rework the first post, and I will definitely finish It once I've redone him :). thanks for the post buddy. Much appreciated.

Need some pointers...

Response to Need some pointers... 2009-08-13 10:09:52

i always like cartoony styles and this is no exception my only tip is try not to overdo it one arm is too long and one is too short in cartoons you can sometimes ignore proportions and anatomy but that just is too far anyways good work i like it, love the face

Response to Need some pointers... 2009-08-13 10:15:00

At 8/13/09 10:09 AM, ashman112 wrote: i always like cartoony styles and this is no exception my only tip is try not to overdo it one arm is too long and one is too short in cartoons you can sometimes ignore proportions and anatomy but that just is too far anyways good work i like it, love the face

Thanks mate :) Your completely right. Thanks again :)

Response to Need some pointers... 2009-08-13 10:48:43

Here's a good pointer:

Need some pointers...

BBS Signature

Response to Need some pointers... 2009-08-13 10:51:56

At 8/13/09 10:15 AM, Ammo wrote:
At 8/13/09 10:09 AM, ashman112 wrote: i always like cartoony styles and this is no exception my only tip is try not to overdo it one arm is too long and one is too short in cartoons you can sometimes ignore proportions and anatomy but that just is too far anyways good work i like it, love the face
Thanks mate :) Your completely right. Thanks again :)

As has been said, you're going for cartoony, which is cool.
As has also been said, study up on your anatomy a bit. Especially skeletal anatomy and joint anatomy is a must. Distorting proportions is ok, but there should be some symetry.

Response to Need some pointers... 2009-08-13 10:53:58

Response to Need some pointers... 2009-08-13 12:25:20

Your lines need more variation. You can usually tell how to do it because they correspond with the lighting. Pay attention to it.

Pauca sed matura.

(Few but ripe.)