• 60 Replies
New Topic Respond to this Topic
Funzo123
Funzo123
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 09
Blank Slate
Response to Does Anybody Still Care About Nasa? Aug. 12th, 2009 @ 01:55 AM Reply

At 8/11/09 11:48 PM, sephiroth183 wrote: OP's pic has the 2 guys getting bored of space and fapping to the Big Dipper..

LOL!

.Learn by heart the greater part of them, lest they be altered.

BBS Signature
DannyJay
DannyJay
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 28
Musician
Response to Does Anybody Still Care About Nasa? Aug. 12th, 2009 @ 02:03 AM Reply

At 8/12/09 01:38 AM, RydiaLockheart wrote: You're right, they want to retire the shuttles, though Atlantis will be going up either August 16th or 18th--can't remember the exact date. They want to go back to single-use rockets like they did with the first space missions.

The Ares I, Ares IV, and Ares V are the rockets they want to use to return the moon and get to the ISS. Its supposed to be easier and more safe and such.

Don't be afraid of failure.

BBS Signature
Eclipse
Eclipse
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 12
Blank Slate
Response to Does Anybody Still Care About Nasa? Aug. 12th, 2009 @ 02:16 AM Reply

At 8/12/09 01:40 AM, DragonFyre9 wrote: I will care when they start to colonize the moon. I would definitely have to live on the moon if it was possible.

I personally dont see it being possible. How would we get our electricity? The moon doesnt have coal. It certainly doesnt have water, so knock out water-based energy. The moon doesnt have wind either, so knock out wind-based energy. The government would have to find an ore on the moon to mine and use a process similar to coal/ore-based energy, using billions of government money. And what about internet and cable and such? How would we obtain our food? What about fast-food chains and restaurants? What about pet food?

The Stoner's Club
Current PC: Windows 7 Ultimate, AMD Radeon HD 6320, 4GB RAM, 1.25TB HD, 1.65GHz AMD APU

BBS Signature
RDSchley
RDSchley
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 03
Blank Slate
Response to Does Anybody Still Care About Nasa? Aug. 12th, 2009 @ 02:48 AM Reply

NASA is a waste of funds. I wrote a whole 6 page report on why NASA today is a completely worthless program.

Back before 1991, during the cold war (1989 if you wanna get technical), NASA played an important role of flexing nuts to the USSR. Today they run idiotic missions collecting moon dust and landing walkers on mars. While this is perfectly fine and dandy, we need to ask ourself if this is helping us, the average Joe everyday. It isn't. This is our tax money at work and I'd like to see our tax money go towards something that will help fix this recession, not continue to dig ourself deeper by funding useless projects that will do absolutely nothing for mankind.

Sure these missions may be important someday when we begin to travel to Mars and set up more bases in our solar system (if ever) but we, as mankind are simply no where near the capabilities of such feats. I say we put NASA on hold until we have the technology to do these kinds of missions. the U.S. Army and Navy are actually the ones thinking of new rocket and jet design, not NASA so before somebody says "Without NASA, we'll never get the technology" there are already many companies that are (and would like to) experimenting on space travel ideas.

NASA is a monopoly and are keeping private business from attempting space travel. They are, in effect, keeping us from "Moving West" just like our ancestors did when they settled territories like Utah, California and Washington. Without NASA private business would be able to make a profit off of such ideas thus we would actually expand towards space much faster and cheaper.

just a nit-pick but my essay. I got a 97% on it :)

It is ok to make fun of America. But if you make fun of any other country in a vague or joking way you get banned.

DannyJay
DannyJay
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 28
Musician
Response to Does Anybody Still Care About Nasa? Aug. 12th, 2009 @ 01:14 PM Reply

At 8/12/09 02:16 AM, Eclipse914 wrote: I personally dont see it being possible. How would we get our electricity?

You forgot about nuclear and solar energy.

BBS Signature
Halosheep
Halosheep
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 05
Blank Slate
Response to Does Anybody Still Care About Nasa? Aug. 12th, 2009 @ 01:35 PM Reply

Right now I don't care too much. When we set up our colonization of the Moon

It is going to happen. Go watch a documentary or search Google if you don't believe me

then things will get more interesting. I think the aim is to make space travel more common. Either way the future is gonna be cool, and chances are Nasa or some international version of Nasa will be the one heading it.

"If everyone did things 75% right people would be ecstatic, so I demand that you change this C to an A+!" - Calvin and Hobbes

Oliver
Oliver
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 24
Melancholy
Response to Does Anybody Still Care About Nasa? Aug. 12th, 2009 @ 01:38 PM Reply

At 8/11/09 11:43 PM, DannyJay wrote: I admire what NASA is doing.

Stop brown nosing Nasa, they're not gonna send your fat pudgy ass into space anytime soon.

SickDeathFiend
SickDeathFiend
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Supporter
Level 31
Animator
Response to Does Anybody Still Care About Nasa? Aug. 12th, 2009 @ 01:43 PM Reply

N.A.S.A.=Never a straight answer

Bringing the violence back to NG, one flash at a time..

Waterstar
Waterstar
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 04
Blank Slate
Response to Does Anybody Still Care About Nasa? Aug. 12th, 2009 @ 01:55 PM Reply

I care, but I only pay attention to the big projects

dogpup4
dogpup4
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 14
Gamer
Response to Does Anybody Still Care About Nasa? Aug. 12th, 2009 @ 02:52 PM Reply

I don't give a shit about the moon, I want to see a Mars landing or something but they can't do it yet so no I don't care about them.

DVD Collection and Game Collection
Steam: GallifreyanTimeDog
Really need to change this rubbish username.

BBS Signature
freezefrog
freezefrog
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 03
Blank Slate
Response to Does Anybody Still Care About Nasa? Aug. 12th, 2009 @ 03:55 PM Reply

well i think that space is one of those things i think about before i go to sleep

its just so mind boggling
like Black holes ,Time Travel ,The speed of light it all comes under the category of space
personally im not to bothered about N.A.S.A because like its not science (if you know what i mean)

but those telescopes which can see so far into space, what they see through the lens happened 4 years ago so ur actually looking back in time now thats fuking cool

DragonFyre9
DragonFyre9
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 17
Musician
Response to Does Anybody Still Care About Nasa? Aug. 12th, 2009 @ 04:04 PM Reply

At 8/12/09 02:16 AM, Eclipse914 wrote:
At 8/12/09 01:40 AM, DragonFyre9 wrote: I will care when they start to colonize the moon. I would definitely have to live on the moon if it was possible.
I personally dont see it being possible. How would we get our electricity? The moon doesnt have coal. It certainly doesnt have water, so knock out water-based energy. The moon doesnt have wind either, so knock out wind-based energy. The government would have to find an ore on the moon to mine and use a process similar to coal/ore-based energy, using billions of government money. And what about internet and cable and such? How would we obtain our food? What about fast-food chains and restaurants? What about pet food?

If we ever are able to control cold fusion the energy output of a small amount of iron could keep a land based station going for years. Look at how much energy the sun produces through fusion.

Also there is a theory that the suns surface is molten iron not Hydrogen. This makes sense because the heaviest element the sun can produce through fusion without super-nova is iron. So by mimicking this process we could fuel the station for years.

Clearly we need major technological advancements before we can colonize the moon but if it happens in my lifetime I would just have to live on the moon. Most of this will happen years after I'm gone though.

AzureSignal
AzureSignal
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 15
Blank Slate
Response to Does Anybody Still Care About Nasa? Aug. 12th, 2009 @ 04:18 PM Reply

I hardly care about them. Still celebrated the 40th moon landing anniversary, though.

DrunkDemon
DrunkDemon
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 09
Blank Slate
Response to Does Anybody Still Care About Nasa? Aug. 12th, 2009 @ 04:21 PM Reply

I'll care when they get bacteria on Mars that will eventually make it hospitable. Other planets would work too.

Live life to the fullest, and make sure you fit some hookers in there too.
It hungers for more...
The Power Of Pinesol

BBS Signature
Trivium666
Trivium666
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 09
Blank Slate
Response to Does Anybody Still Care About Nasa? Aug. 12th, 2009 @ 04:22 PM Reply

Simple Answer is,
No.

Snake-Arsenic
Snake-Arsenic
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 13
Movie Buff
Response to Does Anybody Still Care About Nasa? Aug. 12th, 2009 @ 04:29 PM Reply

Nobody cares, mainly because their space program steals the limelight from their other research, which is rarely talked about or covered in the media.

lifeofmystery
lifeofmystery
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 07
Artist
Response to Does Anybody Still Care About Nasa? Aug. 12th, 2009 @ 04:34 PM Reply

we never landed on the moon, it was faked. (opinion)

here is why.

wewont be able to get to the moon till 2027 (give or take 3 years. i forgot exact time.) or so say and article in the newsaper w get down here in florida (hom of nasa). if weve already been to the moon, then why is it taking so long for us to get there again? we can make a shuttle and send it into space in 3 years (oris it months?) but it takes us over 20 years to go to the moon? now why do yo think that is?i guess moeny ,but, i mean, sure we use rockets, and im sure they arent that much more expensive than shuttles right? not enough to slow down the tie by almost 20 years.

So how about dem mudkipz?

BBS Signature
AlexanderTheInsane
AlexanderTheInsane
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 33
Artist
Response to Does Anybody Still Care About Nasa? Aug. 12th, 2009 @ 04:36 PM Reply

At 8/11/09 11:43 PM, DannyJay wrote: Space is a beautiful thing in my opinion. I admire what NASA is doing.

I was worried I was the only one on NG who did care.

*THIS ACCOUNT HAS MOVED*

Dezimo
Dezimo
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 13
Blank Slate
Response to Does Anybody Still Care About Nasa? Aug. 12th, 2009 @ 04:51 PM Reply

At 8/12/09 04:34 PM, lifeofmystery wrote: we never landed on the moon, it was faked. (opinion)

We've landed on the moon about 17 times so far. Whether the first landing was real or not we've definatly been up there, and i personally think there's more than enough evidence that the first landing was real.

As for people saying that NASA is pointless i think that it's massively important that we explore space whether we're filling gaps in our knowledge of physics, developing more sophisticated technology that could help us on earth as well as in space or colonizing other planets in a worst case scenario.

It's inevitable that we'll have to leave earth at some point i the future whether that time comes in 100 or 1000+ years, so it's best that we research is as much as possible to eventually reach the point where these things are possible. We can't just delay this research for 10 years and expect to suddenly become more advanced when we decide we need it.

A lot of people argue that we should focus on our own planet before we think about anything else, but these things aren't mutually exclusive. We can research space WHILE we fix our own planet!
And realistically a problem will arise that we can't fix, some would argue that our planet is already beyond repair :/

BBS Signature
CacheHelper
CacheHelper
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 01
Blank Slate
Response to Does Anybody Still Care About Nasa? Aug. 12th, 2009 @ 05:47 PM Reply

people care... it's just not that special anymore.

People put satalites in space all the time, images come in from telescopes daily, and space missions are a common occurance. Hell, you can buy a vacation there there days...

Space travel just isn't that rare or dangerous anymore (not to say that it's not dangerous... justn ot like it use to be). Mars may spark mass interest again... or maybe not.

these days the internet is a 'hate everything' tool that kind of keeps mass interest about things like this down. If someone is doing it, someone else is on the internet saying it's stupid.

This topic is stupid.

Obvious-M
Obvious-M
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 22
Blank Slate
Response to Does Anybody Still Care About Nasa? Aug. 12th, 2009 @ 05:49 PM Reply

We went into space? What we're doing?

Oh I'm sorry, I didn't know you were a motherfucking astronaut.

Gamertag- MarshallxDav | Steam ID- Eshneh | LastFM- MarshallNPK

BBS Signature
frencho
frencho
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 11
Blank Slate
Response to Does Anybody Still Care About Nasa? Aug. 12th, 2009 @ 06:00 PM Reply

The National Anal Sex Asociation?

yeah, i care a lot
TheMaster
TheMaster
  • Online!
Forum Stats
Level 30
Blank Slate
Response to Does Anybody Still Care About Nasa? Aug. 12th, 2009 @ 06:08 PM Reply

While the research NASA does is naturally important, and should continue, to really matter to the public there has to be some spectacle, and realistically, some danger. I seem to remember Buzz Aldrin giving a statement a little while back that pretty much amounted to "fuck the moon, let's go to Mars", and I'm all for that. Besides, massive undertakings like that force invention through necessity, so you'd get a lot more than just a flag on Mars out of it.

PSN: Absurd-Ditties | Steam | Letterboxd

BBS Signature
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 36
Blank Slate
Response to Does Anybody Still Care About Nasa? Aug. 12th, 2009 @ 06:43 PM Reply

Wow , that's the prove we now everythingabout it ! Our intelligence makes me jealous xD

At 8/11/09 11:45 PM, DannyJay wrote:
At 8/11/09 11:45 PM, tobi0 wrote: Why study space when we barly know anything about our own planet?
We know nearly EVERYTHING about our planet. Man has been here for 100,000s of years. maybe a million or more.
DannyJay
DannyJay
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 28
Musician
Response to Does Anybody Still Care About Nasa? Aug. 12th, 2009 @ 07:08 PM Reply

At 8/12/09 04:34 PM, lifeofmystery wrote: we never landed on the moon, it was faked. (opinion)

here is why.

stuff

okay, from what I read, you know nothing about space travel. it takes 4 days by a shuttle to get to the moon, but we can't just land somewhere and get out. the moon's ground dust is like glass. it can puncture space suits very easily and pop the shuttles tires. we got lucky during the moon landings 40-30 years ago. and it won't be 20 years until we return. it'll be less than 11. where did you get 20 from?

BBS Signature
MadDogAC
MadDogAC
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 07
Blank Slate
Response to Does Anybody Still Care About Nasa? Aug. 12th, 2009 @ 07:08 PM Reply

I wish Britain had a space program but instead the money is going towards useless shit like public schools or being spent by fat corrupt polititians.

If someone can get past, can they also get future?

BBS Signature
Iristorm
Iristorm
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 22
Filmmaker
Response to Does Anybody Still Care About Nasa? Aug. 12th, 2009 @ 07:18 PM Reply

We'll probably never colonize the moon. It's just a big, round rock. It's unliveable.

On the other hand, Mars is a possibility. Europa, one of Jupiter's moons, is another. In any case, it'll take centuries before humans can live on a whole new planet.

THESNOOPESGUY
THESNOOPESGUY
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 06
Blank Slate
Response to Does Anybody Still Care About Nasa? Aug. 12th, 2009 @ 07:19 PM Reply

I will start worrying about nasa when they say the day the world ends.

-THESNOOPSGUY

BBS Signature
yellowklayman
yellowklayman
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 09
Blank Slate
Response to Does Anybody Still Care About Nasa? Aug. 26th, 2009 @ 07:09 PM Reply

we need to make a moon colony as fast as we can
before mankind kills itself

Knowlege is a powerful tool.
And people with power tools usualy hurt themselves. "WhatyouOughttoKnow.com"

krimmson
krimmson
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 04
Blank Slate
Response to Does Anybody Still Care About Nasa? Aug. 26th, 2009 @ 10:41 PM Reply

id have to say yes astronomy has always fascinated us and nasa definitely helped us hit a milestone back in the 60s with the launch of the apollos but the u.s. has fallen on hard times so theres really no money its not that we dont still dream bout the stars we just cant fly to em at the moment with our restabilizing (sorta) economy.