New Topic Respond to this Topic
Dean
Dean
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 47
Gamer
Response to Videa Game Regulars Lounge. 2013-06-09 15:26:24 Reply

Decided to set up my Master System for the first time in a while and played through Master of Darkness. First game I've managed to beat on the system and I'd highly recommend it. Definitely the best Master System game I've played so far. It's pretty much a Castlevania clone but it's made well. Not the hardest of games either which makes it a bit more appealing seeing as a lot of the 8-bit games are too frustrating for me.

After beating that I tried to give Rastan a shot. Way harder. After being frustrated with that I played a bit of Batman Returns. Not as hard but I switched it off before I made much progress.

I need to get more of the better Master System games. Right now I have 23 games and most of them are alright but there's also a few crappy games in there that were bundled in when I bought some others. Still need to get an Master System controller too. I've just been using Mega Drive controllers.

Anyone got any Master System recommendations that don't cost an absolute fortune?

BBS + Chat Moderator - Feel free to send me a PM if you have a problem!
Want to instant message me? [ Skype - DeanNewgrounds ]

BBS Signature
Jackho
Jackho
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 31
Gamer
Response to Videa Game Regulars Lounge. 2013-06-09 16:15:13 Reply

At 6/9/13 03:09 PM, iMini wrote:
At 6/9/13 11:03 AM, Jackho wrote: Plants vs Zombies 2 is only coming to iOS devices. EA have gone too far.
PvZ2 will be a F2P title. I think we all know that that means "Freemium".

Good to know my 500 hours on PvZ were just a build up to disappointment. Good job EA.

"I don't like facts. They get in the way of my opinions" -Kanye West
last.fm / letterboxd / backloggery / mal

BBS Signature
darkjam
darkjam
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 01
Gamer
Response to Videa Game Regulars Lounge. 2013-06-09 16:30:19 Reply

So has anybody played Tomb raider (the original trilogy) or Splinter Cell 1 or Chaos Theory on PC? I'm thinking about getting them.

I got Tom to make a sig, bow down to me.

BBS Signature
ZJ
ZJ
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 45
Gamer
Response to Videa Game Regulars Lounge. 2013-06-09 16:55:04 Reply

At 6/9/13 07:08 AM, Dean wrote:
How much are you having to pay per play on an arcade cabinet? Like, when you get a game over what does it cost to continue?

All of the games in the place I went to are free, but It cost 10 bucks to get a "day pass" for the place. They've altered a lot of the machines so that instead of putting coins into the cabinet, you just press a button. It's a pretty sweet system. I'm pretty sure that it worked out in my favor, too, since the two games I played would have eaten up a lot of quarters if I had to play the games normally. You die a lot in them.

Also, they sold old games at this place, too. Got Spiderman on the N64 for seven bucks. I lost that game as a kid and have been meaning to get it back for years and I got the chance last night. I was very pleased.

Sig by Luis - AMA
Formerly PuddinN64 - Portal, BBS, Icon, and Chat Mod
"Your friends love you anyway" - Check out WhatTheDo & Guinea Something Good!

BBS Signature
VoidForce
VoidForce
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 18
Game Developer
Response to Videa Game Regulars Lounge. 2013-06-09 17:40:49 Reply

Recently I've been playing one of my old favourites from childhood and has consistently been one of my most enjoyable video game sessions whenever I sit down for a few hours to play it. If anybody is familiar (and I'm sure in the Lounge, you are) with roguelikes, this has a similar idea. It focuses on a monster hunter going into the tower shown on the cover. You live in the town beneath and as you earn money and climb higher in the tower, you can build up the town and gain respect amongst the citizens.

It focuses largely on the monster hunting feature which involves you finding eggs in the tower and hatching them in your house. Each time you leave the tower your level resets to 1, whereas your monsters (familiars) retain theirs which allows you to climb to higher levels each time.

Another prominent feature is the romancing of female NPCs in the game. There are 7 potential girlfriends who aren't too worried about sharing you, the game makes light of this quite often. They each have their own questline to romance them, some are quite touching and some are mainly for comedic effect.

Anyway, it's a game that I'd strongly recommend for any RPG fans out there. If I'm not the only one to have played it, somebody say so because it's a travesty that it did poorly outside of Japan.

Videa Game Regulars Lounge.

Elixur
Elixur
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 31
Gamer
Response to Videa Game Regulars Lounge. 2013-06-09 17:56:32 Reply

At 6/9/13 05:40 PM, VoidForce wrote: Recently I've been playing one of my old favourites from childhood and has consistently been one of my most enjoyable video game sessions whenever I sit down for a few hours to play it. If anybody is familiar (and I'm sure in the Lounge, you are) with roguelikes, this has a similar idea. It focuses on a monster hunter going into the tower shown on the cover. You live in the town beneath and as you earn money and climb higher in the tower, you can build up the town and gain respect amongst the citizens.

It focuses largely on the monster hunting feature which involves you finding eggs in the tower and hatching them in your house. Each time you leave the tower your level resets to 1, whereas your monsters (familiars) retain theirs which allows you to climb to higher levels each time.

Another prominent feature is the romancing of female NPCs in the game. There are 7 potential girlfriends who aren't too worried about sharing you, the game makes light of this quite often. They each have their own questline to romance them, some are quite touching and some are mainly for comedic effect.

Anyway, it's a game that I'd strongly recommend for any RPG fans out there. If I'm not the only one to have played it, somebody say so because it's a travesty that it did poorly outside of Japan.

I played and enjoyed this game at release, even though my eight year old mind couldn't quite grasp all the mechanics of the game. haha

I've recently (two years ago) revisited the game and it still holds up as one of the best rogue-like monster breeding date sims out there. (very strange mix of genres as well) The dialogue is cheesy and comical, the romances seem forced at times, but you don't really play this game for the dating sim elements honestly, the character portraits were a fancy touch, CGI is pretty standard fare for the time, (96? or was it 97) the levels are mostly varied and the monster choices are bountiful, having the character return to lvl 1 upon exiting the dungeon forces you to upgrade your equipment and monster which I felt was unique, etc.

This game isn't perfect, but it does offer a fantastic RPG roguelike experience and if you like monster breeding games (Monster Hunter, Jade Cocoon, Pokemon, Black & White, Spore, etc) is DEFINITELY one you should check out, seeing as it was a "founding father" and precursor to later titles, drawing many inspirations.

BBS Signature
Jackho
Jackho
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 31
Gamer
Response to Videa Game Regulars Lounge. 2013-06-09 17:57:59 Reply

At 6/9/13 04:30 PM, darkjam wrote: So has anybody played Tomb raider (the original trilogy) or Splinter Cell 1 or Chaos Theory on PC? I'm thinking about getting them.

Played all of them, would recommend. The first two tomb raider games are the best, 3 is kind of meh. Due to their age they might take a bit of effort to get into though. Chaos Theory is the best Splinter Cell.

BBS Signature
VoidForce
VoidForce
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 18
Game Developer
Response to Videa Game Regulars Lounge. 2013-06-09 18:33:30 Reply

At 6/9/13 05:56 PM, Elixur wrote:
I played and enjoyed this game at release, even though my eight year old mind couldn't quite grasp all the mechanics of the game. haha

I've recently (two years ago) revisited the game and it still holds up as one of the best rogue-like monster breeding date sims out there. (very strange mix of genres as well) The dialogue is cheesy and comical, the romances seem forced at times, but you don't really play this game for the dating sim elements honestly, the character portraits were a fancy touch, CGI is pretty standard fare for the time, (96? or was it 97) the levels are mostly varied and the monster choices are bountiful, having the character return to lvl 1 upon exiting the dungeon forces you to upgrade your equipment and monster which I felt was unique, etc.

This game isn't perfect, but it does offer a fantastic RPG roguelike experience and if you like monster breeding games (Monster Hunter, Jade Cocoon, Pokemon, Black & White, Spore, etc) is DEFINITELY one you should check out, seeing as it was a "founding father" and precursor to later titles, drawing many inspirations.

Yeah, I've certainly improved a lot since. Monster fusions in particular was something that I didn't understand. Haha, I agree, it definitely is an odd mix of genres but I think it worked brilliantly. Although it's far from a perfect game. A few of my issues are things like the direct translations in places (I'm sure it made sense in a Japanese context), the pointlessness of a couple of town upgrades and a lack of purpose to your rival Ghosh once the Nico and Vivian subplots have been dealt with.

Jade Cocoon was another good PSX title, but it played a little too similarly to Pokemon for the most part. The graphics were superb though, can't fault that. It needed a bit more of an open world to explore, I feel. Something that Azure Dreams didn't have to worry about due to the nature of dungeon floor generation. Azure Dreams built up a nice little bit of lore talking about towns outside of Monsbaiya (town you live in) and other monster towers are referenced.

Very glad to hear somebody else has played it and enjoyed it!

iMini
iMini
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 17
Movie Buff
Response to Videa Game Regulars Lounge. 2013-06-09 18:51:53 Reply

I've been playing the EVER LIVING FUCK out ofThe Binding of Isaac, absolutely brilliant game, brings back the frustration of Super Meat Boy at times and I absolutely love it. Just had some sort of super build with Cain (I had this green poison bomb as tears then got technology or something on top of it resulting in some OMFG THIS BEAM ONE SHOTS EVERYTHING and a good load of handy items) and completely steam rolled the game. I think that's part of the appeal with this game, the sheer amount of possible builds and the randomness of getting it. Sometimes I'll go 5 floors and have nothing of any use, and other times I'll find something incredibly deadly on the first couple of floors and do amazingly well for ages.

Sometimes I get so angry at it, like I've been searching for hearts for so long and just as I clear a floor a single projectile hits me and I lose all my abilities and items and have to start all over. The game isn't all too long (like 40 minutes maybe? for a full run), but it's just long enough that dying is a massive let down, but not long enough to have me never pick it up again.

It's kind of a top down zelda rogue-like with randomly generated floors, you go through the floors, fighting baddies and then a boss (sometimes 2) and mini bosses, rinse and repeat until you get to final boss, it's some of the best fun I've had in years, I'm constantly on the wiki while playing, working out what I want and don't want and such, and it's so engrossing.

10/10 HIGHLY RECOMMENDED.

illicit makes a damn good signature.

BBS Signature
Elixur
Elixur
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 31
Gamer
Response to Videa Game Regulars Lounge. 2013-06-09 18:57:15 Reply

At 6/9/13 06:33 PM, VoidForce wrote:
At 6/9/13 05:56 PM, Elixur wrote:

Yeah, I've certainly improved a lot since. Monster fusions in particular was something that I didn't understand. Haha, I agree, it definitely is an odd mix of genres but I think it worked brilliantly. Although it's far from a perfect game. A few of my issues are things like the direct translations in places (I'm sure it made sense in a Japanese context), the pointlessness of a couple of town upgrades and a lack of purpose to your rival Ghosh once the Nico and Vivian subplots have been dealt with.

Jade Cocoon was another good PSX title, but it played a little too similarly to Pokemon for the most part. The graphics were superb though, can't fault that. It needed a bit more of an open world to explore, I feel. Something that Azure Dreams didn't have to worry about due to the nature of dungeon floor generation. Azure Dreams built up a nice little bit of lore talking about towns outside of Monsbaiya (town you live in) and other monster towers are referenced.

Very glad to hear somebody else has played it and enjoyed it!

This comes right from the heart brotha, play Jade Cocoon 2. It is by far THE BEST monster breeding game I've ever played. (granted I've only gotten my hands on maybe 12-14 but still) The game is extremely colorful and each of the different sub area dungeons you can explore are drastically different (btw this is a roguelike) offer exclusive enemies and item pickups. Levant from the first game returns as an adult/mentor and the original game's tone/vibe and musical score stylings makes a return, although the combat mechanics and fusing has received a major overhaul. (positive change) There is tons of depth to explore with combining different monster types and arranging them in different orders on your wheel in combat. Basically you can hold up to eight monsters at a time in a circle around you with three in front and you can rotate your wheel to send out a different set each turn, by mix and matching different skills with each other you perform different roles.

Water monsters perform healing and status ailment recovery, fire deals heavy damage, wind causes status effects, earth grants stat buffs/debuffs, so you can really go crazy with strategy. The story and dialogue is very similar to Azure Dreams and contains several plot arcs for different sub characters that you meet along the way. The entire game gives me an odd sense of magic, it truly was a game made of passion and was the last major title by the developer who designed it. (Genki)

Unfortunately it had a low print run when it released way back in 01/02 meaning very few people had the chance to try out this hidden gem. I highly suggest you track it down on ebay/amazon and give it a whirl! Shouldn't cost you much over $15 and if you decide you don't like ti for whatever reason you should come back and tear my tongue out.

BBS Signature
VoidForce
VoidForce
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 18
Game Developer
Response to Videa Game Regulars Lounge. 2013-06-09 19:21:48 Reply

At 6/9/13 06:57 PM, Elixur wrote:
Unfortunately it had a low print run when it released way back in 01/02 meaning very few people had the chance to try out this hidden gem. I highly suggest you track it down on ebay/amazon and give it a whirl! Shouldn't cost you much over $15 and if you decide you don't like ti for whatever reason you should come back and tear my tongue out.

For all of its faults, I thoroughly enjoyed Jade Cocoon. I liked what they did with the game as a whole, it had some interesting characters and a great storyline despite it being quite straightforward from the get go.

I've put my faith in your review of it and purchased Jade Cocoon 2, it should arrive in a week or two. I was initially worried that there wasn't a PAL version, but there was and it only cost me £11.00. Needless to say, I'm eagerly awaiting it already!

Elixur
Elixur
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 31
Gamer
Response to Videa Game Regulars Lounge. 2013-06-09 19:24:19 Reply

At 6/9/13 06:51 PM, iMini wrote: I've been playing the EVER LIVING FUCK out ofThe Binding of Isaac, absolutely brilliant game, brings back the frustration of Super Meat Boy at times and I absolutely love it. Just had some sort of super build with Cain (I had this green poison bomb as tears then got technology or something on top of it resulting in some OMFG THIS BEAM ONE SHOTS EVERYTHING and a good load of handy items) and completely steam rolled the game. I think that's part of the appeal with this game, the sheer amount of possible builds and the randomness of getting it. Sometimes I'll go 5 floors and have nothing of any use, and other times I'll find something incredibly deadly on the first couple of floors and do amazingly well for ages.

Sometimes I get so angry at it, like I've been searching for hearts for so long and just as I clear a floor a single projectile hits me and I lose all my abilities and items and have to start all over. The game isn't all too long (like 40 minutes maybe? for a full run), but it's just long enough that dying is a massive let down, but not long enough to have me never pick it up again.

It's kind of a top down zelda rogue-like with randomly generated floors, you go through the floors, fighting baddies and then a boss (sometimes 2) and mini bosses, rinse and repeat until you get to final boss, it's some of the best fun I've had in years, I'm constantly on the wiki while playing, working out what I want and don't want and such, and it's so engrossing.

10/10 HIGHLY RECOMMENDED.

I have a love/hate relationship with this game. First of all, I've probably poured atleast 300+ runs thus far and I'm quite close to platinum god, on the flip side of the coin though I'm just so damn burnt out. As you said it's the top down Zelda rogue like randomly generated floors with random item boosting pickups, as well as bosses that is the main appeal. The art screams Edmund McMillen and the entire concept of having a religious mother and this poor boy escaping through a basement fending off countless grotesque, otherworldly creatures is just sheer brilliance. The bosses are creative and each have different movement patterns and strategies to overcome them. The items range from god tier breaking the game (Dr. Fetus/Epic Fetus/Brimstone/Polyphemus/Quad Shot/Sacred Heart/Book of Revelations) to either completely useless or even self damaging. (Kamikaze/Bean/Poop/Notched Axe/Telepathy for Dummies/Monster Manuel)

It's really about the coming together of each individual element, no area dragging behind. The gameplay is solid, engaging, addictive. The music ranges from melancholic to upbeat battle focused completely fitting each purpose it was given. The roguelike design grants near infinite replayability with the hundreds of item combinations and the wrath of the lamb expansion further extended the fun in all categories giving additional items and challenge with more levels to conquer. The concept pushes the envelope, with it's dark themes. Last, but not least, the community is heavily dedicated to getting together and talking about this game, loving to compare experiences and item combos which really let's you bury your teeth and be a part of something grand.

BBS Signature
Sense-Offender
Sense-Offender
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 30
Movie Buff
Response to Videa Game Regulars Lounge. 2013-06-09 20:39:04 Reply

Wow, that arcade sounds awesome. Pay a small fee to get in and then play all the games you want for as long as you want?

one of the four horsemen of the Metal Hell

BBS Signature
Yoshiii343
Yoshiii343
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 17
Audiophile
Response to Videa Game Regulars Lounge. 2013-06-10 03:38:22 Reply

At 6/9/13 02:49 PM, Ketzelkab wrote: Playing MGS without the cutscenes is just... Wrong. =[

Yeah...I missed a lot of important info too.

darkjam
darkjam
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 01
Gamer
Response to Videa Game Regulars Lounge. 2013-06-10 11:45:46 Reply

Played all of them, would recommend. The first two tomb raider games are the best, 3 is kind of meh. Due to their age they might take a bit of effort to get into though. Chaos Theory is the best Splinter Cell.

Is the gameplay good and easy to paly on PC though?

I got Tom to make a sig, bow down to me.

BBS Signature
Jackho
Jackho
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 31
Gamer
Response to Videa Game Regulars Lounge. 2013-06-10 13:48:09 Reply

At 6/10/13 11:45 AM, darkjam wrote:
Is the gameplay good and easy to paly on PC though?

I'm sure splinter cell plays fine on PC, but TR will probably feel like ass. Might need a gamepad for that one.

BBS Signature
Dean
Dean
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 47
Gamer
Response to Videa Game Regulars Lounge. 2013-06-13 19:35:37 Reply

I've been on a bit of a streak recently. Over the past couple weeks I've beaten The Walking Dead, Master of Darkness and I just beat The Story of Thor 2 (or Legend of Oasis as it's know in the States). Now Jackho has talked me into going back and finishing Final Fantasy VII. Just started disc 2 recently.

Once I get Final Fantasy VII beaten I have a few games that I want to move onto. All of which are pretty lengthy. Dragon Quest VIII, Persona 3 and Persona 4. And that's just for starters. I put together a list of games I own that I want to play through. It was a massive list. I've been holding off on expanding the collection and been using my free time to actually play some games for a change.

BBS Signature
Sense-Offender
Sense-Offender
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 30
Movie Buff
Response to Videa Game Regulars Lounge. 2013-06-13 20:00:34 Reply

Chaos Theory had a great ost. Amon Tobin is one of the best artists out there.

one of the four horsemen of the Metal Hell

BBS Signature
VoidForce
VoidForce
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 18
Game Developer
Response to Videa Game Regulars Lounge. 2013-06-14 21:36:31 Reply

So my copy of Jade Cocoon 2 arrived a few days back and I've started playing Jade Cocoon again so I can finish it before starting 2. It's a bit of a grindfest at the moment so I've started playing a few other games too so it's not so monotonous.

One of these games happens to be the first Metal Gear Solid which I've never finished. I'm currently at the bit where Snake gets tortured and it's been excellent for the badly done fight with Sniper Wolf. I'm determined to finish it as I played my friend's copy very briefly when I was about eight or so and up to the Vulcan Raven fight when I first bought my copy about a year ago.

Speaking of RPGs though, check out my game JUGGERNAUT: Awakening that came out last weekend.

Dean
Dean
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 47
Gamer
Response to Videa Game Regulars Lounge. 2013-06-15 10:35:33 Reply

Woo, that's Final Fantasy VII beaten. I agree with the people who consider this a great game. I'm not sure if it still lives up to its reputation as being the best game ever, but I definitely enjoyed it. It has me wanting to play through more of the Final Fantasy games now. Aside from VII, X is the only other one I've made much progress with but I have a few other FF games lying around. Wondering if I should play one of them now instead of what I'd planned to play, which was Dragon Quest VIII.

I hate deciding what game to play. Especially when I'm trying to decide between games that take forever to beat.

BBS Signature
VoidForce
VoidForce
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 18
Game Developer
Response to Videa Game Regulars Lounge. 2013-06-15 11:28:54 Reply

At 6/15/13 10:35 AM, Dean wrote: I hate deciding what game to play. Especially when I'm trying to decide between games that take forever to beat.

My personal recommendation is VIII, my favourite in the series. It's the most similar to VII if you enjoyed that world a lot. If you want a more classic setting then you can't go wrong with VI.

Dean
Dean
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 47
Gamer
Response to Videa Game Regulars Lounge. 2013-06-15 12:00:21 Reply

At 6/15/13 11:28 AM, VoidForce wrote: My personal recommendation is VIII, my favourite in the series. It's the most similar to VII if you enjoyed that world a lot. If you want a more classic setting then you can't go wrong with VI.

See, this is what confuses me. Final Fantasy VIII either seems to be someone's favourite Final Fantasy game or one of their least favourite Final Fantasy game. Given the amount conflicted options on this game I was a little hesitant to play it right now, so I went with VI instead. I will be playing VIII before IX though, because I want my PS1 Final Fantasy experience to end on a guaranteed high. IX looks like it has the potential to be my favourite in the series.

I'm enjoying VI so far though. The PS1 load times don't seem to be as bad as I've had people make them out to be.

BBS Signature
VoidForce
VoidForce
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 18
Game Developer
Response to Videa Game Regulars Lounge. 2013-06-15 12:13:46 Reply

At 6/15/13 12:00 PM, Dean wrote: See, this is what confuses me. Final Fantasy VIII either seems to be someone's favourite Final Fantasy game or one of their least favourite Final Fantasy game. Given the amount conflicted options on this game I was a little hesitant to play it right now, so I went with VI instead. I will be playing VIII before IX though, because I want my PS1 Final Fantasy experience to end on a guaranteed high. IX looks like it has the potential to be my favourite in the series.

I'm enjoying VI so far though. The PS1 load times don't seem to be as bad as I've had people make them out to be.

VIII is definitely controversial when it comes to fan opinions. I think my only real gripe with it is that if focuses a LOT on Squall and Rinoa because it's to centred on the love story and neglects the other four a bit. The cast are still all likeable and great fun to play with, three of the six could just use a lot more character development.

VI on the other hands manages to give everybody a lot more focus and at times it's not even clear who the lead is meant to be out of Terra, Locke and Celes. It really gets the formula of the ATB right, completely spot on.

IX I have only played the first two/three hours of. It was a very enjoyable game and having watched my room mate get about halfway through, I definitely want to give it another chance as it seems full of a lot of potential.

It's hard for me to give too detailed of an analysis or opinions about certain aspects without getting into the major spoilers region so hopefully that at least helps a bit with initial perceptions. I'll finish by saying that they're all worth playing through even if you're having a struggle at the start of the game.

Auz
Auz
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 57
Movie Buff
Response to Videa Game Regulars Lounge. 2013-06-15 17:00:13 Reply

I just beat GTA III.

I can see that it was an amazing game for its time, but I feel like it's inferior to its sequels in about every aspect. At least, I think Vice City and San Andreas are much better games compared with nowadays' standards. Still, I'm glad to have played through it.

At 6/15/13 12:00 PM, Dean wrote:
At 6/15/13 11:28 AM, VoidForce wrote: My personal recommendation is VIII, my favourite in the series. It's the most similar to VII if you enjoyed that world a lot. If you want a more classic setting then you can't go wrong with VI.
See, this is what confuses me. Final Fantasy VIII either seems to be someone's favourite Final Fantasy game or one of their least favourite Final Fantasy game.

Personally, I enjoyed VIII as well but that could just be nostalgia playing up. It happens to be the Final Fantasy game that introduced me to the series, so naturally I have a bit of a soft spot for it. However, I don't think it's the best in the series and I wouldn't recommend it to people unfamiliar with the franchise.

VI is a must play if you ask me. I think together with VII it's the most popular one amongst hardcore FF fans. IX is my personal favourite though. You should definitely check that one out too. The fairy tale atmosphere in IX really appealed to me and the game is a bit more light hearted than most FF games (which I liked).

[Forum, Portal and Icon Mod]
Wi/Ht? #36 // Steam: Auz
The Top 100 Reviewers List (Last updated: 28 December 2014)

BBS Signature
Dean
Dean
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 47
Gamer
Response to Videa Game Regulars Lounge. 2013-06-15 18:08:53 Reply

At 6/15/13 12:13 PM, VoidForce wrote: hopefully that at least helps a bit with initial perceptions.

I appreciate the info :)

At 6/15/13 05:00 PM, Auz wrote: I just beat GTA III.

Come to think of it, I don't think I ever beat GTA III. It has been YEARS since I last played this but I seem to recall getting stuck on a mission where the cop in central park gives you a mission where you have to drive a car to the third island but no matter which route I took I always found myself getting shot up by the cops.

VI is a must play if you ask me. I think together with VII it's the most popular one amongst hardcore FF fans.

Both games always seem to show up on lists of the best games ever. So far I've really been liking VI actually. There's just something nice about it but I'm not sure what. It just... works well. I can't think of one particular aspect of the game that makes it feel like a well made game, but that's how it comes across to me.

IX is my personal favourite though. You should definitely check that one out too. The fairy tale atmosphere in IX really appealed to me and the game is a bit more light hearted than most FF games (which I liked).

VI definitely seems to have a fair amount of humour in it so far, but since I've not played IX yet I can't compare the two. But I am really looking forward to playing IX, whenever that may be. From the occasional video review I've seen of the game, it just looks like the most appealing of all the Final Fantasy games.

One of the guys I'm subscribed to on YouTube just started a Persona 4 lets play, which now has me really wanting to play through Persona 3 and 4. And I still really want to play through Dragon Quest VIII. I feel spoiled for choice right now, especially since in recent years it has been rare for me to get as immersed in games as I could when I was younger.

BBS Signature
Auz
Auz
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 57
Movie Buff
Response to Videa Game Regulars Lounge. 2013-06-16 07:53:51 Reply

At 6/15/13 06:08 PM, Dean wrote:
At 6/15/13 05:00 PM, Auz wrote: I just beat GTA III.
Come to think of it, I don't think I ever beat GTA III. It has been YEARS since I last played this but I seem to recall getting stuck on a mission where the cop in central park gives you a mission where you have to drive a car to the third island but no matter which route I took I always found myself getting shot up by the cops.

Oh I remember that one. It took me a few tries.

If I remember correctly, you have to take a detour through the tunnel on the north side of the island, but without a fast car you're probably not going to make it in time.

That reminds me: One thing that I found a bit annoying about GTA III is that you can't get an overview of the full map to plan out your route beforehand. You only know which general direction you have to go and you just have to pray that you don't take a wrong turn somewhere.

VI is a must play if you ask me. I think together with VII it's the most popular one amongst hardcore FF fans.
Both games always seem to show up on lists of the best games ever. So far I've really been liking VI actually. There's just something nice about it but I'm not sure what. It just... works well. I can't think of one particular aspect of the game that makes it feel like a well made game, but that's how it comes across to me.

One thing that made it feel somewhat unique to me is that every character seems about equally important to the story. There isn't really one main character in the game who's clearly the leader of the gang (like Cloud in VII, Squall in VIII, Zidane in IX, etc.).

IX is my personal favourite though. You should definitely check that one out too. The fairy tale atmosphere in IX really appealed to me and the game is a bit more light hearted than most FF games (which I liked).
VI definitely seems to have a fair amount of humour in it so far, but since I've not played IX yet I can't compare the two. But I am really looking forward to playing IX, whenever that may be. From the occasional video review I've seen of the game, it just looks like the most appealing of all the Final Fantasy games.

Yeah, VI isn't too heavy on the drama either, although it has its emotional moments.

BBS Signature
Elixur
Elixur
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 31
Gamer
Response to Videa Game Regulars Lounge. 2013-06-17 06:23:21 Reply

At 6/15/13 12:13 PM, VoidForce wrote:

VIII is definitely controversial when it comes to fan opinions. I think my only real gripe with it is that if focuses a LOT on Squall and Rinoa because it's to centred on the love story and neglects the other four a bit. The cast are still all likeable and great fun to play with, three of the six could just use a lot more character development.

First- SPOILERS

FFVIII and I have a very strenuous relationship with one another. It was ambitious and tried a whole bunch of new things, some hit the wall and stuck while others fell flat on it's face. First of all Triple Triad is hands down my favorite FF minigame in the entire series. I found it incredibly addicting, wishing at one point there were more cards and rewards. The rules are simple (unless you spread the complex rules throughout regions, which you should never do) it is completely optional and grants extremely useful (game breaking towards the beginning) rewards for your trouble.

The junction system is where everybody's complaints lie (atleast one half of my issues with the game) and rightfully so. I understand what Square was trying to accomplish with enemies leveling up along with your character, it's all about game balance. The fundamental problem however is that it is unintentionally IN-balanced, due to the fact that enemies level according to SQUALL and only him, with the addition that stat gain modifiers hinder at higher levels. It is much more beneficial to learn and adapt the junction system and equip adjacent spells to the stats that receive the highest boost, rather than XP grind. Disc one all by itself you can become overpowered to the point to where you can beat the game by abusing your GF refining abilities=>magic and junctioning properly and this is poor design.

Also, weapon upgrading is extremely useless in stat gained by doing so and the items required to forge are often out of the way or difficult to get your hands on. The only person I would even suggest upgrading their weapon is Squall because he receives new limit breaks upon doing so, it's worth noting Selphie gains a significant accuracy boost also.

The next issue to have with the game is its' spoon-fed romance, sorceress time fucked narrative. Let me put this out there DISC ONE FUCKING RULED HARD. You witness one of the most engrossing and impressive CGI cutscenes ever made, followed by your heroine dukin it out with his rival, taking steel to the face bleeding all over the place only to wake to a hospital. You are then graced with some hot ass blonde babe who escorts you to a fire cavern to fight a goat god. After that you're sent to raid Dollet on a mercenary style mission Normandy style, as you hurl your ship on the beach and unleash Ragnarok on the country's military. You then fight a gigantic mechanical spider only to flee for your life and barely escape with your rear in tact. (btw you witness blonde bitch fill it full of lead with a huge ass machine gun) There's the Timber mission where you are sent to assassinate a man for political gain in your countries favor, it's all so romantic in the early stages of the game, only to disappoint later on. Finally, you're tasked with lopping off the sorceress's head during her celebratory inauguration only to be thwarted by her other-worldly magic. Leaving you thinking Squall died reaching for this girl he barely knew with a gigantic icicle firmly in his chest.

DISC ONE WAS FUCKING PERFECT
but then it goes downhill

I like to believe the end of Disc one is the end of the game and everything thereafter is Squall's mind while in comatose, but that is wishful thinking I'm sure.

I don't really have the presence of mind to give a fully detailed reasoning and description as to where and why the game's narrative falls apart (my ass is half drunk atm) but I may pop in here and finish up what I started.

In short:
Pros- Badass as FUCK music score, insane graphics for it's time, triple triad kicks all sorts of asses, disc one storyline is god damn cinematic and breath-taking, tons of secret optional GFs and areas to explore
(staple to a great FF game)

Cons- Junction system is broken, characters are hit and miss as to their likability with Squall being extremely infamous, narrative completely falls apart and tramples on itself after disc one

Overall the game is a 7/10 -where 5 is average-

Other notes I wanted to say, but couldn't fit anywhere. No encounter ability on Diablos is a GOD SEND, they need to incorporate this into future games COME THE FUCK ON SQUARE. The final dungeon of Ultimecia's castle is absolutely jaw dropping gorgeous; it's atmosphere and tone gives me goosebumps EVERY. FUCKING. TIME. Plus secret Super boss Ultima Weapon was tons of fun figuring out how to best, I love when rpgs give players optional super bosses to tackle.

VI on the other hands manages to give everybody a lot more focus and at times it's not even clear who the lead is meant to be out of Terra, Locke and Celes. It really gets the formula of the ATB right, completely spot on.

Many people (myself included) believe the game is split into two distinct halves, The World of Balance and the World of Ruin. Terra is more or less the "main character" for the first half of the game where she's discovering her identity as a half human half Esper and joining the other cast as they stand force against the Empire. The second half sees Celes with her struggle to cope with her friends lost (and possibly Cid) and breathes hope into the game as she scours the planet looking for old friends to put a stop once and for all to Kefka's world domination.

Technically, there is no main character. VI is my favorite of the series BY FAR, it's not even close and I could talk for days about this game. How it has the largest cast of characters; each with distinct and charming personalities. The largest selection of summons (espers) in ANY of the FF games to date and how the sprite/animation work was ahead of it's time. I'll cut it short though.

IX I have only played the first two/three hours of. It was a very enjoyable game and having watched my room mate get about halfway through, I definitely want to give it another chance as it seems full of a lot of potential.

IX I personally place as either my 2nd or 3rd favorite in the series. Abilities learned through equips was refreshingly simple after VIII's junction system (I was young, so shit was complex yo) although the card game Terramaster was a huge step back from Triple Triad. The music is absolutely god tier, Uematsu was at the top of his game with that OST seriously. The world is varied and the locales really feel alive beyond the player's presence. (Lindblum and Treno come to mind) It brought back the auction house from VI which was fun to mess with. Lots of secrets (Excalibur II anyone?) and the story progression had excellent pacing. Some people give Kuja a lot of criticism for being so androgynous, but I thought he still maintained an ominous presence and later in the game really exposes his vulnerability as a person.

Did I mention this is in the top three best looking ps1 games? Not even opinion, straight up fact. Some of the CGI cutscenes rivaled PS2 graphics.

Really, IX just hearkens back to the old days and really pulls on the heart strings of nostalgia fags like myself, which is one of the reasons why I love it so much.

It's hard for me to give too detailed of an analysis or opinions about certain aspects without getting into the major spoilers region so hopefully that at least helps a bit with initial perceptions. I'll finish by saying that they're all worth playing through even if you're having a struggle at the start of the game.

My ranking for Final Fantasy:
VI=Tactics>IX>IV=VII>V>X>XII>VIII>I>XIII>III>II

I place FFII last, however, it DID introduce Chocobos, Cid and Airships so keep that in mind. The characters and battle/lvl up mechanics were just an abortion waiting to happen though. I'll save that for another day.

Tally Ho!

BBS Signature
Auz
Auz
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 57
Movie Buff
Response to Videa Game Regulars Lounge. 2013-06-17 07:04:36 Reply

At 6/17/13 06:23 AM, Elixur wrote: First- SPOILERS

The junction system is where everybody's complaints lie (atleast one half of my issues with the game) and rightfully so. I understand what Square was trying to accomplish with enemies leveling up along with your character, it's all about game balance. The fundamental problem however is that it is unintentionally IN-balanced, due to the fact that enemies level according to SQUALL and only him, with the addition that stat gain modifiers hinder at higher levels. It is much more beneficial to learn and adapt the junction system and equip adjacent spells to the stats that receive the highest boost, rather than XP grind. Disc one all by itself you can become overpowered to the point to where you can beat the game by abusing your GF refining abilities=>magic and junctioning properly and this is poor design.

Agreed. Once you get familiar with the Junctioning system and know how to get the good spells easily the game becomes a piece of cake.

If you really want the game to be no challenge at all, you should focus on learning the Str+1, Mag+1, etc. on level up-skills as early as possible and have those junctioned to your characters. You can easily get maximum stats on everyone that way.

But yeah, the system was a bit imbalanced. Also, it rendered magic useless because you didn't want to use the powerful spells.

Also, weapon upgrading is extremely useless in stat gained by doing so and the items required to forge are often out of the way or difficult to get your hands on. The only person I would even suggest upgrading their weapon is Squall because he receives new limit breaks upon doing so, it's worth noting Selphie gains a significant accuracy boost also.

I believe the difference between everyone's base weapon and everyone's ultimate weapon is pretty significant though, so getting at least the final upgrade is worth the trouble. Especially since (semi-)permanent stat boosts are hard to come by.

DISC ONE WAS FUCKING PERFECT
but then it goes downhill

I wouldn't say completely perfect, but I agree that it was definitely the best disc of the four. At least the plot still made some sense.

The beginning of disc 2 was all right as well as far as I remember. Then it goes downhill fast.

In short:
Pros- Badass as FUCK music score, insane graphics for it's time, triple triad kicks all sorts of asses, disc one storyline is god damn cinematic and breath-taking, tons of secret optional GFs and areas to explore
(staple to a great FF game)

I think the music is probably the best thing about the game.

Cons- Junction system is broken, characters are hit and miss as to their likability with Squall being extremely infamous, narrative completely falls apart and tramples on itself after disc one

Yep.

I still liked Squall better than Cloud though.

Overall the game is a 7/10 -where 5 is average-

I'd give it 7/10-ish too. Maybe 6.5/10.

BBS Signature
Elixur
Elixur
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 31
Gamer
Response to Videa Game Regulars Lounge. 2013-06-17 07:24:42 Reply

At 6/14/13 09:36 PM, VoidForce wrote: So my copy of Jade Cocoon 2 arrived a few days back and I've started playing Jade Cocoon again so I can finish it before starting 2. It's a bit of a grindfest at the moment so I've started playing a few other games too so it's not so monotonous.

Fantastic dude! I kind of wish I could go back and suggest you Iso the game first as a test run before laying down any cold hard cash, but I have faith you at least enjoy the game enough to not break my arm over the price. I remember grinding being completely optional for additional monster fusions, but not necessary to clear the plot. Either way it shouldn't drag on too long or be that painful.

I'm not sure if you'll agree with me or not, but Jade Cocoon had this distinct air about it. The town, the character's strange fashion (Native American influenced I'd wager) and the atmosphere once everyone is turned to stone, create this sensation I find difficult to describe. No other game is like Jade Cocoon and only once you've played it can you understand that statement. Jade II improves in many departments of gameplay, voice acting, graphics, etc but be warned it doesn't contain that same sense of dire urgency the original game had. One boy set out to brave the unknown forests of monsters to save his village, it's extremely poetic.

One of these games happens to be the first Metal Gear Solid which I've never finished. I'm currently at the bit where Snake gets tortured and it's been excellent for the badly done fight with Sniper Wolf. I'm determined to finish it as I played my friend's copy very briefly when I was about eight or so and up to the Vulcan Raven fight when I first bought my copy about a year ago.

Metal Gear Solid (ps1) is easily my favorite of the series, it still stands strong today. It revolutionized the industry (for better or worse) and was mind blowing for when it was released, breaking new ground in multiple ways. I do not wish to spoil the experience for you, however, there is one particular boss that is quite unfair unless you're aware of "external factors" you other guys will know what I'm referring to. I'll leave you guys to battle about whether we spoil the secret technique or not for him. Waiting until he's died several times and comes crawling for help may be the way to go as well. :P

Anyways,
~
Re-living Vagrant Story this week, finally decided to purchase it from the PSN store and downloading as I type this. Like saying hello to a friend you haven't spoken to in years, I'm sure it will be awkward at first, but in time we will sing and dance the night away.

I recall the story being mysterious in nature with plot twists, but honestly the details escape me. Mechanics wise, an action rpg at heart and has a surprising amount of depth. Art style speaks for itself; Matsuno's vision is humbly bleak at times while braving the depths of the game's dungeons, yet upon being released to the world reminds the player of it's intense colorful bounty.

After I clear the game, I may summarize my thoughts, and give a full overview.

BBS Signature
Dean
Dean
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 47
Gamer
Response to Videa Game Regulars Lounge. 2013-06-17 07:43:57 Reply

At 6/17/13 07:24 AM, Elixur wrote: Metal Gear Solid (ps1) is easily my favorite of the series

Woo, someone who shares my opinion. Most people seem to give MGS3 more love but I liked the first a lot more. I thought the boss battles were more interesting and memorable. Especially the battle with Psycho Mantis. I just thought that one was so great and I'd never played any other game that did something like that.

One of the other reasons that I don't like the sequels as much as the original is because they gradually got more and more complex. MGS2 added the ability to drop down from platforms and then MGS3 added the camo thing. Sure, they're nice features and as sequels, you'd expect them to add something new but for me they just felt like features that the original game did fine without. I just liked the overall simplicity of the original. For people who started MGS on the PS2, it's worthwhile going back and playing the original if you're even slightly interested in it. I love that game.

BBS Signature