New Topic Respond to this Topic
Elixur
Elixur
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 31
Gamer
Response to Videa Game Regulars Lounge. 2013-06-03 09:17:32 Reply

At 5/4/13 10:25 PM, The-Great-One wrote: I have recently gotten a hold of The 7th Saga for the Super Nintendo. I have heard about this little JRPG, but never heard it as being heralded among the other JRPG's on the Super Nintendo. What about it can any of you tell me about it?

I've actually made a topic about this game that garnered to little attention, as I suspected.

Anyway, I really enjoy this game a great deal. It's difficult reputation is probably caused by Enix re-coding the stat gain modifiers for leveling up when they translated and ported it to the U.S. It was received in Japan to mediocre praise and one of the complaints was how piss easy it was, so you could say they stuck it to us good.

The premise begins extremely simple and honestly is one that I would agree needs to be stolen and have a little more money thrown at. You are one of 7 warriors granted with a crystal ball by the King and told to go forth, explore the world and bring back the true runes for ULTIMATE POWER haha. The music, enemy designs, architecture, everything in the game gives me a strange alien vibe. it's an odd mix between medieval and futuristic. The world map is barren and dark, giving me the impression that the world is really empty except for myself, the other warriors and all these dangerous creatures roaming around. I really liked the crystal ball system they tried, where you could see enemy encounters and they could run into you without even moving.

The game does require grinding, which can and often does be seen as a negative aspect, however I enjoy the challenge of doing low lvl runs. There are a few key tips I can tell you to make the game MUCH easier, so if you want to enjoy the game blind as it was intended do not read ahead.

~Spoilers~

~

~

Powerup items in this game are EXTREMELY useful, which is peculiar because they usually suck in rpgs. B Power, B Agility etc use them and abuse them. (B i think stands for bottle) Also DEFEND then attack, you take way less damage and do more damage for some reason. These two tips make the game 4923579357 times easier.

You have the option of gaining an ally (any of the other 6) and it is this unique combination that allows replay-ability. There are a few different pivotal moments you can acquire them, but there is a point that you no longer can. Since exp is shared in the game and they join at the same lvl it is best to grind (if youre going to) BEFORE gaining the ally to cut the time in half. (btw Valsu is the best character hands down, later he gets a broken as shit spell called conveniently enough Elixir that restores all hp/mp and can be used on himself) I'd suggest not using Valsu at all for a first run, if you're even still thinking of playing it. Some characters are more cost efficient than others as well, the human players requiring much more armor $$$ than say the alien/robot who require no weps/armor.

One last thing I'd like to bring up is that about the midpoint through the game you start getting into some heavy plot elements that involve time travel and it gets all sorts of fucked. Don't be embarrassed if you don't understand, nobody does. You can easily look up a plot summary though.

BBS Signature
Elixur
Elixur
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 31
Gamer
Response to Videa Game Regulars Lounge. 2013-06-03 09:28:35 Reply

At 5/8/13 12:44 AM, Jercurpac wrote:
I've been in an NES mood lately and I finally got around to beating Ninja Gaiden, which had been kicking my ass for years. I moved on the the original Super Mario Bros. which is actually really damn hard. Mostly because of the limited lives and lack of continues, that force you to really master the game and seek out secret coin stashes and extra lives. I've always wondered how many people have actually beaten it outright?

Ninja Gaiden 6-2 (I think it's been about a year) was just outright poorly designed. You should NOT have to do 6-2 and 6-3 again when you die to the boss, who has like three fucking forms. The random element to enemy patterns and placement when entering a map didn't do it any good either.

When it comes to Super Mario Bros. you always have to indicate if you're referring to not using the warp pipes or if you are, since it is kind of the clear difference among runs. I personally have completed the game with and without multiple times, I couldn't pretend to know the exact number, but atleast four times. The Lost Levels or Super Mario Bros. 2 as I call it is significantly harder. Many jumps are barely possible, sequences in the castles are sometimes confusing to figure out, enemy placement is obnoxious, etc.

BBS Signature
kidd25
kidd25
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 19
Blank Slate
Response to Videa Game Regulars Lounge. 2013-06-03 15:45:04 Reply

At 6/3/13 01:22 AM, TheSporkLord wrote:
At 6/3/13 01:20 AM, kidd25 wrote:
on a good/depressing note, Guess who beat their first run of dark soul. will I start a second run?
Indeed you shall.

I believe I'm on NG+16 now. I've stopped playing for a long while now.

... well then. Power to the flame.

BBS Signature
Dean
Dean
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 46
Gamer
Response to Videa Game Regulars Lounge. 2013-06-03 20:43:08 Reply

Just beat The Walking Dead game today. Definitely up there as one of my favourite games of all time. Sure, the gameplay itself wasn't anything exciting and I still consider it more of an interactive story than a game but I thought the plot was great. Also, no other game has made me feel so pressured when it comes to making decision. No game has even come close. So many times that I struggled to decide what I wanted to do and then ended up wishing I'd made a different choice. I liked that.

BBS + Chat Moderator - Feel free to send me a PM if you have a problem!
Want to instant message me? [ Skype - DeanNewgrounds ]

BBS Signature
Cootie
Cootie
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 43
Movie Buff
Response to Videa Game Regulars Lounge. 2013-06-04 08:27:52 Reply

Have any of you played Waves on Steam? It is a cheap little indie game that you can pick up for $10. It is basically an improved version of geometry wars, and it has a plethora of game modes.

Videa Game Regulars Lounge.

For I am and forever shall be... a master ruseman.

BBS Signature
Jackho
Jackho
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 31
Gamer
Response to Videa Game Regulars Lounge. 2013-06-04 17:54:20 Reply

Beat Walking Dead. Mixed feelings, sucked as a game but it's pretty much the only one to make decisions feel important. Annoying amounts of plot convenience.

last.fm / letterboxd / backloggery / mal / follow me if you think you can handle it

BBS Signature
Halberd
Halberd
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 30
Movie Buff
Response to Videa Game Regulars Lounge. 2013-06-05 04:07:25 Reply

At 6/4/13 05:54 PM, Jackho wrote: Beat Walking Dead. Mixed feelings, sucked as a game but it's pretty much the only one to make decisions feel important. Annoying amounts of plot convenience.

I really enjoyed it and I look forward to more of these interactive type of games but I think its a little overrated.

Heavy Rain was basically the same thing but done a whole lot better (more interactive gameplay, bigger consequences, more interesting storyline and etc.)

I think TWD is more appreciated because its not just exclusive to the PS3 and its on STEAM and the Xbox 360 so it has a much more wider audience and more people are seeing this sort of the game for the first time.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NguTypiXqqY
ILLEGAL MARIJUANA RELATED ACTIVITIES
The hand I killed your children with masturbates to the memory of it

Jackho
Jackho
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 31
Gamer
Response to Videa Game Regulars Lounge. 2013-06-05 10:01:16 Reply

At 6/5/13 04:07 AM, Halberd wrote: I think TWD is more appreciated because its not just exclusive to the PS3 and its on STEAM and the Xbox 360 so it has a much more wider audience and more people are seeing this sort of the game for the first time.

Definitely. I don't think I know anyone IRL who has actually played Heavy Rain. It helps that TWD is part of an already hugely popular franchise too. Looking forward to season 2 anyway.

Also played Dear Esther. It's alright but I'm glad I didn't pay the 8 euro asking price.

last.fm / letterboxd / backloggery / mal / follow me if you think you can handle it

BBS Signature
Sense-Offender
Sense-Offender
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 29
Movie Buff
Response to Videa Game Regulars Lounge. 2013-06-05 12:21:26 Reply

At 6/5/13 10:01 AM, Jackho wrote: Definitely. I don't think I know anyone IRL who has actually played Heavy Rain.

My sister's friends were just telling me about Heavy Rain the a couple of days ago. The one friend insisted that it's amazing, which is believable considering how good Indigo Prophecy was (despite the ending).

one of the four horsemen of the Metal Hell

BBS Signature
TheSporkLord
TheSporkLord
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 10
Musician
Response to Videa Game Regulars Lounge. 2013-06-05 14:05:00 Reply

So has anyone played Kingdoms of Amalur? I'm stuck between Dragon Age 2 and Reckoning. But I at least feel like I know what I would be getting into with DA2 since I loved the first one. But I've also heard that DA2 isn't as good as the first.

Bah

" Let the metal flow " - Chuck Schuldiner
GUITARISTS Awesome sig by Tateos.

BBS Signature
Sense-Offender
Sense-Offender
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 29
Movie Buff
Response to Videa Game Regulars Lounge. 2013-06-05 14:34:42 Reply

At 6/5/13 02:05 PM, TheSporkLord wrote: So has anyone played Kingdoms of Amalur?

I played the demo. It seems cool, and it's super cheap now. Then again, the demo for DA 2 also gave me a good impression and the fans of the first one were disappointed. I wonder why that was. Something to do with the plot, maybe?

BBS Signature
Ceratisa
Ceratisa
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 07
Gamer
Response to Videa Game Regulars Lounge. 2013-06-05 15:22:47 Reply

At 6/5/13 02:34 PM, Sense-Offender wrote:
At 6/5/13 02:05 PM, TheSporkLord wrote: So has anyone played Kingdoms of Amalur?
I played the demo. It seems cool, and it's super cheap now. Then again, the demo for DA 2 also gave me a good impression and the fans of the first one were disappointed. I wonder why that was. Something to do with the plot, maybe?

The plat, the dumbing down of combat, etc. The setting was confined to pretty much one city and its outskirts. Much less in terms of meaningful choices.
It basically feels like it was made for console. IF you do get it play it on the hardest to even get combat back to where it was.

On a side note, combat is ADD kind of fun, 20k crits on my rogue.

Sense-Offender
Sense-Offender
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 29
Movie Buff
Response to Videa Game Regulars Lounge. 2013-06-05 16:01:29 Reply

Oh, I didn't realize they changed the combat. I'm still at least interested in the first one. I'll probably get it some day. But still, the demo made DA 2 seem pretty cool to me, but having choices make less of a difference makes me reconsider.

BBS Signature
TheSporkLord
TheSporkLord
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 10
Musician
Response to Videa Game Regulars Lounge. 2013-06-05 16:05:35 Reply

At 6/5/13 04:01 PM, Sense-Offender wrote: Oh, I didn't realize they changed the combat. I'm still at least interested in the first one. I'll probably get it some day. But still, the demo made DA 2 seem pretty cool to me, but having choices make less of a difference makes me reconsider.

The first one is amazing. Get the ultimate edition, its only like $ 20 or something like that. Totally worth it

" Let the metal flow " - Chuck Schuldiner
GUITARISTS Awesome sig by Tateos.

BBS Signature
Jackho
Jackho
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 31
Gamer
Response to Videa Game Regulars Lounge. 2013-06-05 17:39:59 Reply

At 6/5/13 04:01 PM, Sense-Offender wrote: Oh, I didn't realize they changed the combat. I'm still at least interested in the first one. I'll probably get it some day. But still, the demo made DA 2 seem pretty cool to me, but having choices make less of a difference makes me reconsider.

I'm sure if you played the first one you'd see why people were so unhappy with the second. It's a massive step back in every way.

BBS Signature
Sense-Offender
Sense-Offender
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 29
Movie Buff
Response to Videa Game Regulars Lounge. 2013-06-05 18:44:44 Reply

At 6/5/13 04:05 PM, TheSporkLord wrote: The first one is amazing. Get the ultimate edition, its only like $ 20 or something like that. Totally worth it

I definitely want to at some point.

BBS Signature
Ceratisa
Ceratisa
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 07
Gamer
Response to Videa Game Regulars Lounge. 2013-06-05 23:13:45 Reply

I'm sure if you played the first one you'd see why people were so unhappy with the second. It's a massive step back in every way.

It really is, the original felt like an classic RPG updated.

Elixur
Elixur
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 31
Gamer
Response to Videa Game Regulars Lounge. 2013-06-07 09:01:05 Reply

I'm going to do a marathon run of the three Quintet SNES games this weekend. (Soul Blazer, Illusion of Gaia, Terranigma)

Haven't played through these gems in a very long time, so I'm pretty excited to be revisiting them. I really miss this developer, their games had a very distinct style and vibe to them and each game transcended to the next, you could feel the similarities. All three titles were smack in the middle of the golden era of gaming, where going in one of four directions was plenty. Backgrounds scrolled in parallaxes and something as simple as transparency could bedazzle even the most cynical gamer. The 16 bit era was truly a renaissance for creative ideas and these three titles are a clear and prime example of this.

Many beloved franchises and companies during this era had gone on to do other great things and prosper, but Quintet is an exclusion to this. I often wander what they could have shown us had they not gone belly up. Many developers and publishers took chances, some of which paid off big, changing what was merely a fad into an implosion of world-encapsulating mega industry, an outlet for developers to express themselves artistically. YOU JUST DON'T SEE THIS AS MUCH ANYMORE.

It's no surprise giving the impact this generation had, that it's constantly referred to and brought up in topics among many gaming niches, to some degree is discussed even more than the current generation. Something about the 16 bit era just keeps gamers talking and debating. Even titles that were considered obscure during the heyday have now gone on to become classics held aloft by the endless support of devoted fans and new fans attracted by the hyperbole of their elders.

One such a series that slipped under the radar at release that has now amassed quite a large fandom, focuses on death and reincarnation, directed by a company called Quintet. Founded by two former members of Falcom, they loosely knit together a franchise. They were already responsible for Enix's hit Actraiser(one of the best SNES launch games) and didn't disappoint with their next title, SoulBlazer. This title would set the precedent with the death and resurrection themed tone that would later be amplified in the sequels. It was received to fairly good reviews and decent attention, so they shortly after began work on the next title in the quad/trilogy. In 93 when Illusion of Gaia was released they really received a break and was greeted with good reviews around the board, really bringing them into the spotlight. Shortly after they began working on Terranigma (Also called The Creation of Heaven and Earth) and was released in Japan and the PAL regions in 95. (Sadly the U.S. did not receive this title) It's worth noting there is actually a fourth game in the series named Granstream Saga on PS1, but was not recognized mostly due to not having Enix's name on it.

I'm going to give a brief summary of what each game is about, for anyone interested.

SoulBlazer
A difficult game to describe, at first glance your typical over the head action rpg. Your character, a pseudo deity of sort is sent down from the heavens and tasked with regaining the souls of the world and rebuilding/creating the world anew after it's destruction at the hands of demons. The world is divided into six different sections each having a town and several attached dungeons adjacent.
Illusion of Gaia
Definitely the oddball to the series, where the other games have fairly patterned gameplay focusing on elemental towns this game is extremely linear, straightforward flowing adventure that has a defined beginning and end. Rather than focusing on the gimmick of resurrecting people or places, Gaia focuses more on action elements, making it a deeper, smoother, more engaging experience than the previous title.

Terranigma
For most people this is where the series comes to a conclusion. This game represents the engine brought forward by SoulBlazer coming full circle, returning to the style of the first game bringing the resurrection theme back in full force while still retaining the solid representational aspects introduced by Gaia. In many ways combines the best of both worlds and is still one of the most talked about and sought after 16 bit games. Unfortunately it was released in the waning twilight of the SNES lifespan, so was mostly overlooked in favor of new tech. Many religious and alcoholic references were kept in tact surprisingly remaining uncensored. Easily my favorite in the series. Before I move on I would like to leave you a piece of the game's ost, this haunting melody reigning supreme in my mind. Which reminds me that I haven't even talked about the trilogy's OST, being one of the most unique and down right magical I have ever heard. From a lovely little waltz, very homely and quaint to hip and jazzy tunes to represent peace in places like Crystal village.

The puzzles to each game are tricky enough to vex you, while not being impossible enough to solve without a guide. They really struck a perfect balance here. The graphics are top tier for the time that each game were released, with character designs being particularly impressive (maybe not in SoulBlazer though) I would say though some npcs repeat their designs and this is quite noticable, but in all not that distracting. Enemy diversity is there, although there is a good deal of palette swapping as well. Dungeon design is pretty standard for it's time. Sound effects are well placed and fit their use quite well, although nothing really memorable here. Where the games truly shine though are the cutscenes (especially Gaia and Terra) containing some of the most mouth watering visuals seen for it's day. I imagine they were painstakingly detailed and rendered, resulting in a beautiful display of emotions.

So, I feel like I've rambled on enough. If anyone here has played any of these games and feels like discussing them I'm more than willing. I'm the type of guy who is quiet all night, but if you find the right topic that really strikes a chord with me you just can't shut me up. If anyone is curious and wants to know more about any of these titles I can go into further detail discussing the mechanics and the like. Also if anyone could suggest other action adventure titles that are in some ways similar to this quad/trilogy I'd be extremely grateful. I intend to emulate, but I have purchased on the games in the past, so I feel it is justified.

Tally-Ho!

I apologize to myself for any grammatical or spelling errors, my proof reading isn't the best.

BBS Signature
GhostwiththeToast
GhostwiththeToast
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 01
Animator
Response to Videa Game Regulars Lounge. 2013-06-07 13:22:54 Reply

http://www.kickstarter.com/projects/1949537745/armikrog

Not sure If you guys have seen this but

holy moly this is amazing

VoidForce
VoidForce
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 18
Game Developer
Response to Videa Game Regulars Lounge. 2013-06-07 21:02:59 Reply

At 6/7/13 01:22 PM, GhostwiththeToast wrote: http://www.kickstarter.com/projects/1949537745/armikrog

Not sure If you guys have seen this but

holy moly this is amazing

That looks so full of potential, I hope it does well.

Yoshiii343
Yoshiii343
  • Online!
Forum Stats
Level 17
Audiophile
Response to Videa Game Regulars Lounge. 2013-06-08 12:00:34 Reply

I've got to The Sorrow boss fight in MGS3: Snake Eater, and he fucking scares me.
At least, I didn't kill too many people before to boss fight...

darkjam
darkjam
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 01
Gamer
Response to Videa Game Regulars Lounge. 2013-06-08 13:56:45 Reply

Nobody wants to help me, but I'll give it one more go. Should I get Left 4 dead 2 or Counter Strike Source and Garrys mod instead?

*Kicks your bedroom door open at 4:20am*
*karate chops your TV*
"Dude, it was just a prank. Come on"

BBS Signature
iMini
iMini
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 17
Movie Buff
Response to Videa Game Regulars Lounge. 2013-06-08 14:15:23 Reply

At 6/8/13 01:56 PM, darkjam wrote: Nobody wants to help me, but I'll give it one more go. Should I get Left 4 dead 2 or Counter Strike Source and Garrys mod instead?

Depends on what you're into. GMod is like Minecraft, if you like one, you'll like the other. CS:S if you have the patience, L4D2 if you want some straight up fun.

illicit makes a damn good signature.

BBS Signature
Kunera
Kunera
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 44
Gamer
Response to Videa Game Regulars Lounge. 2013-06-08 15:48:05 Reply

At 6/8/13 01:56 PM, darkjam wrote: Nobody wants to help me, but I'll give it one more go. Should I get Left 4 dead 2 or Counter Strike Source and Garrys mod instead?

I guess it really depends on what you want more. Shooting zombies with friends, or fucking around with physics/CS? Both are good fun, it just depends on your mood.

Hey guys, you should totally check out my YouTube channel.
Also, dat Steam

BBS Signature
ZJ
ZJ
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 45
Gamer
Response to Videa Game Regulars Lounge. 2013-06-09 01:40:19 Reply

Went to a local arcade today. Got to beat the Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles and Alien vs. Predator arcade games while I was there. Pretty badass. I'd definitely like to go again.

Any of you guys been to an arcade recently? Play any cool games there? Ever tried the two games I mentioned?

Sig by Some Guy - AMA
Formerly PuddinN64 - Portal, BBS, Icon, and Chat Mod
"Your friends love you anyway" - Check out WhatTheDo & Guinea Something Good!

BBS Signature
Dean
Dean
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 46
Gamer
Response to Videa Game Regulars Lounge. 2013-06-09 07:08:54 Reply

At 6/9/13 01:40 AM, ZJ wrote: Any of you guys been to an arcade recently?

No arcades around here and even if there were they'd be expensive as hell. How much are you having to pay per play on an arcade cabinet? Like, when you get a game over what does it cost to continue?

Only games I used to play in the arcades was House of the Dead and Time Crisis. Could never beat them.

BBS + Chat Moderator - Feel free to send me a PM if you have a problem!
Want to instant message me? [ Skype - DeanNewgrounds ]

BBS Signature
Jackho
Jackho
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 31
Gamer
Response to Videa Game Regulars Lounge. 2013-06-09 11:03:32 Reply

Plants vs Zombies 2 is only coming to iOS devices. EA have gone too far.

BBS Signature
Yoshiii343
Yoshiii343
  • Online!
Forum Stats
Level 17
Audiophile
Response to Videa Game Regulars Lounge. 2013-06-09 11:16:12 Reply

Just finished MGS3: Snake Eater after confronting my fears of The Sorrow. And by that I mean, intentionally drowning myself and taking the revive pill. Felt the game was a bit short for some reason (ignoring the fact it took me well over 8 hours to beat it).

I should definitely replay it again, and not skip all the cutscenes like a twit.

Ketzelkab
Ketzelkab
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 02
Musician
Response to Videa Game Regulars Lounge. 2013-06-09 14:49:22 Reply

At 6/9/13 11:16 AM, Yoshiii343 wrote:
I should definitely replay it again, and not skip all the cutscenes like a twit.

Playing MGS without the cutscenes is just... Wrong. =[

Twitter | Soundcloud | Follow me?
Let's stalk each other on the interwebs!

iMini
iMini
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 17
Movie Buff
Response to Videa Game Regulars Lounge. 2013-06-09 15:09:42 Reply

At 6/9/13 11:03 AM, Jackho wrote: Plants vs Zombies 2 is only coming to iOS devices. EA have gone too far.

PvZ2 will be a F2P title. I think we all know that that means "Freemium".

illicit makes a damn good signature.

BBS Signature