New Topic Respond to this Topic
Dean
Dean
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 47
Gamer
Response to Videa Game Regulars Lounge. 2013-04-30 15:24:45 Reply

At 4/30/13 12:19 PM, Auz wrote: I was secretly hoping I would find something like Tales of Symphonia or Paper Mario for a few bucks

I think you have to get there really early if you want to make those kinds of finds, and even then it might be too late. Most flea market type set-ups tend to let sellers in before buyers. As a result, video game re-sellers will set up their stall, walk around all the other stalls, buy up and good games they see and then put them on sale at their stall for stupidly high prices.

So yeah, flea markets are neat.

I agree, seeing as I have managed to make some decent finds in the past. I think there should be fairly decent sized one happening in my town this weekend (missed the last one) so I'm hopefully going to go for a rummage around.

BBS + Chat Moderator - Feel free to send me a PM if you have a problem!
Want to instant message me? [ Skype - DeanNewgrounds ]

BBS Signature
Auz
Auz
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 57
Movie Buff
Response to Videa Game Regulars Lounge. 2013-05-01 20:38:06 Reply

At 4/30/13 03:24 PM, Dean wrote:
At 4/30/13 12:19 PM, Auz wrote: I was secretly hoping I would find something like Tales of Symphonia or Paper Mario for a few bucks
I think you have to get there really early if you want to make those kinds of finds, and even then it might be too late. Most flea market type set-ups tend to let sellers in before buyers. As a result, video game re-sellers will set up their stall, walk around all the other stalls, buy up and good games they see and then put them on sale at their stall for stupidly high prices.

Yeah, you're probably right about that. We got there at about 10:30 in the morning, but we overheard this salesman who said he already sold most of his good stuff. I also ran into a colleague of mine who was selling and she said she'd been there since 2:30 AM because otherwise she wouldn't have a good spot.

I'm not that familiar with flea markets so I was kind of surprised people get up so early for it. Next year I should probably get out of bed much earlier too.

[Forum, Portal and Icon Mod]
Wi/Ht? #36 // Steam: Auz
The Top 100 Reviewers List (Last updated: 16 November 2014)

BBS Signature
The-Great-One
The-Great-One
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 30
Writer
Response to Videa Game Regulars Lounge. 2013-05-04 22:25:54 Reply

I have recently gotten a hold of The 7th Saga for the Super Nintendo. I have heard about this little JRPG, but never heard it as being heralded among the other JRPG's on the Super Nintendo. What about it can any of you tell me about it?

Dean
Dean
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 47
Gamer
Response to Videa Game Regulars Lounge. 2013-05-05 04:48:07 Reply

At 5/4/13 10:25 PM, The-Great-One wrote: What about it can any of you tell me about it?

Might be mistaken, since SNES isn't really a console I'm all that familiar with, but isn't that game meant to be really fucking hard?

It's definitely not a game I've heard much about which would usually grab my interest, especially seeing as it's an RPG. RPGs always seem like a worthy additions to the collection if you're able to get them at a decent price.

Let us know how it is once you spent some time playing it.

BBS Signature
DannyIsOnFire
DannyIsOnFire
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 21
Movie Buff
Response to Videa Game Regulars Lounge. 2013-05-05 05:27:51 Reply

Got my last three PS2 games. Meaning I'll either be investing in another shelf soon or not buying anything for a while. Paid a little more for them than I wanted (think the only games that cost more were ICO and Shadow Of The Colossus) but I couldn't stop myself from "completing the collection".

As a bonus, all three are pretty much in perfect condition.

Videa Game Regulars Lounge.

|| Portfolio || Facebook || Twitter ||

BBS Signature
Jackho
Jackho
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 31
Gamer
Response to Videa Game Regulars Lounge. 2013-05-05 12:32:25 Reply

At 5/5/13 05:27 AM, DannyIsOnFire wrote: Got my last three PS2 games.

Is it just me or is ape escape using the rock band font

"I don't like facts. They get in the way of my opinions" -Kanye West
last.fm / letterboxd / backloggery / mal

BBS Signature
Jercurpac
Jercurpac
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 32
Melancholy
Response to Videa Game Regulars Lounge. 2013-05-08 00:44:18 Reply

At 5/4/13 10:25 PM, The-Great-One wrote: I have recently gotten a hold of The 7th Saga for the Super Nintendo. I have heard about this little JRPG, but never heard it as being heralded among the other JRPG's on the Super Nintendo. What about it can any of you tell me about it?

I never played it, but I've heard it's balls-hard in a very old-school kind of way. Apparently part of the premise is that there's another group of heroes who move around the world and are vying with you to be the ones to save the world, which is an amazing concept and I have no idea why noone's stolen it yet for a modern take.

I've been in an NES mood lately and I finally got around to beating Ninja Gaiden, which had been kicking my ass for years. I moved on the the original Super Mario Bros. which is actually really damn hard. Mostly because of the limited lives and lack of continues, that force you to really master the game and seek out secret coin stashes and extra lives. I've always wondered how many people have actually beaten it outright?

Happy with what you have to be happy with
you have to be happy with what you have
to be happy with you have to be happy with what you have

BBS Signature
The-Great-One
The-Great-One
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 30
Writer
Response to Videa Game Regulars Lounge. 2013-05-08 00:57:58 Reply

At 5/8/13 12:44 AM, Jercurpac wrote: I never played it, but I've heard it's balls-hard in a very old-school kind of way. Apparently part of the premise is that there's another group of heroes who move around the world and are vying with you to be the ones to save the world, which is an amazing concept and I have no idea why noone's stolen it yet for a modern take.

Played it. Very basic in its story and gameplay. Kind of like playing the old-school Dragon Warrior on the NES (a.k.a Dragon Quest). However where Dragon Warrior worked on the NES, with the Super Nintendo and the wide variety of RPGs on the system, you would expect better.

I've been in an NES mood lately and I finally got around to beating Ninja Gaiden, which had been kicking my ass for years. I moved on the the original Super Mario Bros. which is actually really damn hard. Mostly because of the limited lives and lack of continues, that force you to really master the game and seek out secret coin stashes and extra lives. I've always wondered how many people have actually beaten it outright?

I have beaten Super Mario Bros. once.

Jackho
Jackho
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 31
Gamer
Response to Videa Game Regulars Lounge. 2013-05-08 17:45:31 Reply

At 5/8/13 12:44 AM, Jercurpac wrote: I've always wondered how many people have actually beaten it outright?

Got my NES at the beginning of january this year and I've been trying SMB on and off. I'll be determined to beat it, then get to 8-3 and rage hard. I got to 8-4 once.

You can hold down A when you press start and it'll start you at the beginning of the last world you died in, but fuck that, if I ever beat this game it wont be in pussy mode.

The cannons are the most frustrating part by far, they don't seem to have any pattern or predictability. 8-3 is pretty much just luck.

BBS Signature
Oolaph
Oolaph
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 21
Audiophile
Response to Videa Game Regulars Lounge. 2013-05-08 19:58:04 Reply

At 5/8/13 12:44 AM, Jercurpac wrote: I've always wondered how many people have actually beaten it outright?

I used to be able to speedrun SMB in about 7 minutes, but I highly doubt I'd be able to now. I should give it another try sometime soon and see if I can even finish it any more.

BBS Signature
Jercurpac
Jercurpac
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 32
Melancholy
Response to Videa Game Regulars Lounge. 2013-05-08 23:00:44 Reply

Woo, just beat it. I always knew it was a great game, but I never realized how excellently designed it was. The levels are set up to lead you towards certain secrets so you begin to understand the logic behind how they hide the goodies that you need to get through the levels, but at the same time it's also intentionally teaching you bad habits to hide the best secrets. I finally discovered how devious the starman power up is. The feeling of plowing through enemies is so satisfying that I never realized until now that they always put it in a spot where you'll run past one ups and beanstalks to the bonus areas.

I was recording a few on my last runs through it for shits and giggles, but I'm not sure if I want to do anything with the footage.

At 5/8/13 05:45 PM, Jackho wrote: You can hold down A when you press start and it'll start you at the beginning of the last world you died in, but fuck that, if I ever beat this game it wont be in pussy mode.

Same here. I beat the remake on Game Boy Color forever ago, but that saves your progress and I always knew that I didn't really beat Super Mario Bros. Stick with it, finally besting a game that's been kicking your ass is a great feeling. I could give you some tips, but if you're like me you want to get through on your skill alone.

Happy with what you have to be happy with
you have to be happy with what you have
to be happy with you have to be happy with what you have

BBS Signature
Sense-Offender
Sense-Offender
  • Online!
Forum Stats
Level 30
Movie Buff
Response to Videa Game Regulars Lounge. 2013-05-08 23:43:48 Reply

At 5/5/13 05:27 AM, DannyIsOnFire wrote: As a bonus, all three are pretty much in perfect condition.

Psychonauts is one of the best PS2 games ever made. I vaguely recall playing a demo for Castlevania: Lords of Shadow and thinking "meh".

one of the four horsemen of the Metal Hell

BBS Signature
Auz
Auz
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 57
Movie Buff
Response to Videa Game Regulars Lounge. 2013-05-09 16:04:32 Reply

At 5/8/13 11:00 PM, Jercurpac wrote: Stick with it, finally besting a game that's been kicking your ass is a great feeling. I could give you some tips, but if you're like me you want to get through on your skill alone.

That's true. I still gave up on Super Mario World eventually though. I was about three-quarters in, but it got so frustrating redoing the same courses over and over again that I didn't feel like I was even having fun with the game anymore.

I'll probably get back to it someday though.

[Forum, Portal and Icon Mod]
Wi/Ht? #36 // Steam: Auz
The Top 100 Reviewers List (Last updated: 16 November 2014)

BBS Signature
darkjam
darkjam
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 01
Gamer
Response to Videa Game Regulars Lounge. 2013-05-09 16:23:00 Reply

Can somebody help me out with World of Warcraft? The combat looks really confusing, is it turn by turn, or like i choose an attack then there? I want to be a hunter but not sure which species to play it with, I heard different species have different powers and whatnot. Also, is PVP just kill them then there? If anybody can send me a link to a tutorial about this stuff then thanks, or if you would tell me then that would be great as well.

I got Tom to make a sig, bow down to me.

BBS Signature
Lionelion
Lionelion
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 15
Gamer
Response to Videa Game Regulars Lounge. 2013-05-10 03:41:56 Reply

At 5/9/13 04:04 PM, Auz wrote:
At 5/8/13 11:00 PM, Jercurpac wrote: Stick with it, finally besting a game that's been kicking your ass is a great feeling. I could give you some tips, but if you're like me you want to get through on your skill alone.
That's true. I still gave up on Super Mario World eventually though. I was about three-quarters in, but it got so frustrating redoing the same courses over and over again that I didn't feel like I was even having fun with the game anymore.

I'll probably get back to it someday though.

You better. That game is amazing, and finding all the secrets in it is just so much fun.I can pretty much speed run that game nowadays, since it was the first game i ever played. Still is one of my favorites to this day. Even bought it on virtual console on my wiiu just so I could play it again.

Yoshiii343
Yoshiii343
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 17
Audiophile
Response to Videa Game Regulars Lounge. 2013-05-10 04:29:01 Reply

So...I'm thinking of getting MGS3 for the PS2...
Tell me, how is the game? I've heard quite some good things about it.

Dean
Dean
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 47
Gamer
Response to Videa Game Regulars Lounge. 2013-05-10 06:03:53 Reply

At 5/10/13 04:29 AM, Yoshiii343 wrote: So...I'm thinking of getting MGS3 for the PS2...

I played through the first three Metal Gear Solid games last summer and they were great. If I had to rate them, I think it'd be MGS > MGS3 > MGS2. MGS3 is well worth getting though, especially given how cheap it probably is on PS2. I'm sure most people would argue that it's the best of the first three games as well.

BBS Signature
Jackho
Jackho
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 31
Gamer
Response to Videa Game Regulars Lounge. 2013-05-10 13:30:10 Reply

At 5/10/13 04:29 AM, Yoshiii343 wrote: So...I'm thinking of getting MGS3 for the PS2...

It's amazing, but you need to play 1 and 2 first.

BBS Signature
warshark
warshark
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 48
Gamer
Response to Videa Game Regulars Lounge. 2013-05-10 15:55:52 Reply

Out of interest does anyone know if Dragons Dogma has been patched yet to stop that save corrupting patch which was brought out at the start of May? Can't find any information on this and I want to start playing the game but don't want to lose any save files when I come back to the game later.

Sig made by simon <3
360 Gamertag - Warshark NG
PSN ID - xI_Warshark_Ix

BBS Signature
Yoshiii343
Yoshiii343
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 17
Audiophile
Response to Videa Game Regulars Lounge. 2013-05-11 04:42:19 Reply

At 5/10/13 01:30 PM, Jackho wrote: It's amazing, but you need to play 1 and 2 first.
At 5/10/13 06:03 AM, Dean wrote: I played through the first three Metal Gear Solid games last summer and they were great. If I had to rate them, I think it'd be MGS > MGS3 > MGS2. MGS3 is well worth getting though, especially given how cheap it probably is on PS2. I'm sure most people would argue that it's the best of the first three games as well.

welp i got a bit trigger happy and got the game
and let me tell you something
how the hell do you pull yourself up after hanging on a ledge

darkjam
darkjam
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 01
Gamer
Response to Videa Game Regulars Lounge. 2013-05-11 06:20:17 Reply

So anybody got Battleront 2 on steam or pc? I feel lonely playing by myself, and I'm shit at it. I need to play it more.

I got Tom to make a sig, bow down to me.

BBS Signature
NekoMika
NekoMika
  • Online!
Forum Stats
Level 45
Musician
Response to Videa Game Regulars Lounge. 2013-05-16 17:44:09 Reply

Not truly a regular here but I thought people would be interested reading these blogs written by one of the four or so people who created Action 52.

Request Reviews // #9 Reviewer // #3 Audio Reviewer

BBS Signature
Oolaph
Oolaph
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 21
Audiophile
Response to Videa Game Regulars Lounge. 2013-05-16 21:09:46 Reply

At 5/11/13 04:42 AM, Yoshiii343 wrote: welp i got a bit trigger happy and got the game
and let me tell you something
how the hell do you pull yourself up after hanging on a ledge

Don't you just press triangle again? Or hold up on the joystick? I can't remember, it's something natural like that. Try looking in the manual or Googling it.

But yeah, I think MGS3 is the best in the series by far.I've beaten it something like nine times now and it never gets old. It's absolutely fantastic, probably one of my favourite games ever. I should really get around to playing MGS1 again, I've only gone through it once while I've played through all the others plenty of times. I'm not sure why that is either, I really enjoyed it when I played it for the first time.

I also want to give the original MSX games a try at some point. I don't really want to play it on the HD Collection, I'd much rather play the real thing. Unfortunately MSX 2s are hard to find, and when you do find them they're incredibly expensive. Guess I'll have to give MSX emulation a shot or suck it up and play with a controller on the PS3.

BBS Signature
Jackho
Jackho
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 31
Gamer
Response to Videa Game Regulars Lounge. 2013-05-17 13:05:41 Reply

At 5/16/13 09:09 PM, Oolaph wrote: Unfortunately MSX 2s are hard to find, and when you do find them they're incredibly expensive.

Not to mention the games themselves are extremely rare, with english versions being virtually non-existent

BBS Signature
Oolaph
Oolaph
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 21
Audiophile
Response to Videa Game Regulars Lounge. 2013-05-19 22:05:10 Reply

I bought Chrono Trigger the other day at a local record/movie/game store the other day for $4. Not a bad deal, considering it goes for $75+ online.

Could've gotten Tengen Tetris for a dollar today as well, but I decided to pass on it because it was in pretty rough condition.

BBS Signature
VoidForce
VoidForce
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 18
Game Developer
Response to Videa Game Regulars Lounge. 2013-06-03 00:04:58 Reply

Finally purchased Silent Hill 2 and Resident Evil Code: Veronica X. I bought these because after playing through RE5 again with one of my friends in co-op I felt pretty fed up with what the series has become. I know CVX is similar in style to the main PSX games and I'm not sure what to expect. Silent Hill in the other hand I bought just to see if it could make me scared of video games again. I haven't played any of them before and I'm hoping it lives up to the hype.

While I wait for these to arrive sometime during the week has anybody got any thoughts on either of these games?

TheSporkLord
TheSporkLord
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 10
Musician
Response to Videa Game Regulars Lounge. 2013-06-03 01:06:32 Reply

I got Dragon's Dogma Dark Arisen and I'm actually pretty happy with it. Reminds me of the good old RPGs I played.

I'd say my only gripe about it is that the end game and NG+ weren't really worked out as well as they could have been. I mean I beat the game and the DLC and got the strongest weapons only to find out that NG+ isn't any harder so I'm basically just running around completing quests in like 5 minutes each time. Not fun.
But the ride up until that point, twas damn fine.

" Let the metal flow " - Chuck Schuldiner
GUITARISTS Awesome sig by Tateos.

BBS Signature
kidd25
kidd25
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 19
Blank Slate
Response to Videa Game Regulars Lounge. 2013-06-03 01:20:00 Reply

Dear esther, Capsized, Thomas was alone, Little Inferno, Proteus. Maybe hotline Miami. Humble bundle of course, Since this is the gamer regular lounge. I was gonna give these out, but so just people have a chance to get one. Send me a message, and I'll respond with the steam key. The first person who ask does not get it, but I'll just look at their forum messages, steam account and then flip a coin. so it just boils down to the coin. so send me a message however you please, just mention one of the game and heads or tails.

on a good/depressing note, Guess who beat their first run of dark soul. will I start a second run?

Videa Game Regulars Lounge.

BBS Signature
TheSporkLord
TheSporkLord
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 10
Musician
Response to Videa Game Regulars Lounge. 2013-06-03 01:22:30 Reply

At 6/3/13 01:20 AM, kidd25 wrote:
on a good/depressing note, Guess who beat their first run of dark soul. will I start a second run?

Indeed you shall.

I believe I'm on NG+16 now. I've stopped playing for a long while now.

" Let the metal flow " - Chuck Schuldiner
GUITARISTS Awesome sig by Tateos.

BBS Signature
Jackho
Jackho
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 31
Gamer
Response to Videa Game Regulars Lounge. 2013-06-03 08:41:45 Reply

At 6/3/13 12:04 AM, VoidForce wrote: I know CVX is similar in style to the main PSX games and I'm not sure what to expect.

Expect the best plot you've ever seen in your life.

BBS Signature