New Topic Respond to this Topic
Dean
Dean
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 46
Gamer
Response to Videa Game Regulars Lounge. Nov. 30th, 2012 @ 11:11 AM Reply

I think it was JonTron who described EarthBound as a crap game but a fun experience.

I've not played much of EarthBound. I don't even recall getting far enough to try out the combat. The only thing that really struck me about it was the graphics. They are quite nice to look at and I like that style. I wouldn't be willing to pay the ridiculous price to get a copy. It's not rare and it doesn't seem to be anything too great in terms of a video game. It's just an over prices, sought after collectable item as far as I'm concerned.

BBS + Chat Moderator - Feel free to send me a PM if you have a problem!
Want to instant message me? [ Skype - DeanNewgrounds ]

BBS Signature
The-Great-One
The-Great-One
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 30
Writer
Response to Videa Game Regulars Lounge. Nov. 30th, 2012 @ 01:52 PM Reply

At 11/30/12 09:35 AM, MrSaint wrote: Earthbound is very unique and one of a kind. I find it pretty easy to get into a FF game, but Earthbound on the other hand.

I really like the overworld, it's so cutesy and nice. And the dialogue of course, it's brilliant and very often hilarious. But when I reached Scaraba, the battle system started wearing on me. It was just boring me out. I may come back to it at some point, because it seems to me that I've almost completed the game.

Yeah that is one thing about EarthBound that does get old and it is the combat. I find that it starts to wear on for quite a while. That is until you get Jeff, then it starts to pick up some.

At 11/30/12 11:11 AM, Dean wrote: I think it was JonTron who described EarthBound as a crap game but a fun experience.

I've not played much of EarthBound. I don't even recall getting far enough to try out the combat. The only thing that really struck me about it was the graphics. They are quite nice to look at and I like that style. I wouldn't be willing to pay the ridiculous price to get a copy. It's not rare and it doesn't seem to be anything too great in terms of a video game. It's just an over prices, sought after collectable item as far as I'm concerned.

Yeah as far as the genre goes, EarthBound doesn't do anything fantastic. The story and set-up are both brilliant, but the combat is very simple. It takes a backseat to everything else in the game. The reason why the high price though is because of the cult aspect behind it. That game shouldn't be worth that much money.

| The Interviewer | Review Terms 3.0 | [This Space For Rent ] | Club Stoic |

BBS Signature
Auz
Auz
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 56
Movie Buff
Response to Videa Game Regulars Lounge. Nov. 30th, 2012 @ 02:52 PM Reply

At 11/30/12 09:35 AM, MrSaint wrote:
At 11/26/12 12:48 PM, The-Great-One wrote: Yeah I actually had to start over because the cartridge froze and erased my data. It happens sometimes. I know that RPGs take some time to get into. I have been a fan of Final Fantasy for years.
Earthbound is very unique and one of a kind. I find it pretty easy to get into a FF game, but Earthbound on the other hand.

I really like the overworld, it's so cutesy and nice. And the dialogue of course, it's brilliant and very often hilarious. But when I reached Scaraba, the battle system started wearing on me. It was just boring me out. I may come back to it at some point, because it seems to me that I've almost completed the game.

I agree with what The-Great-One said, the battle system seems to take a back seat to the rest of the game. Personally I didn't mind at all though. The other aspects of the game were interesting enough to keep me playing.

At 11/30/12 11:11 AM, Dean wrote: I think it was JonTron who described EarthBound as a crap game but a fun experience.

If you're talking about that top 10 SNES games video, I didn't think he said it was a crap game. I think he hit the nail on the head by saying that it's one of those games that's more of an experience than anything.

Anyway, I know they can ask fairly outrageous prices for the game and the fact that it never came out in Europe probably doesn't help you either. Still, I think it's worth picking up, but I can imagine not everyone would feel that way.

[Forum, Portal and Icon Mod]
Wi/Ht? #36 // Steam: Auz
The Top 100 Reviewers List (Last updated: 10 August 2014)

BBS Signature
twistex
twistex
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 11
Gamer
Response to Videa Game Regulars Lounge. Dec. 2nd, 2012 @ 06:29 AM Reply

I have been playing Catherine for the past few days, picked it up for $20. I am hooked onto it and would go as far to say it's in my top 10 favourite games. If you haven't played Catherine I seriously recommend you try it out if you are into puzzlers, or sex.

I am lovin' me some Retro Haze .

BBS Signature
Dean
Dean
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 46
Gamer
Response to Videa Game Regulars Lounge. Dec. 2nd, 2012 @ 02:13 PM Reply

So, once tomorrow is over and done with I'll be on my Christmas holidays and only have to attend uni on 3 days to sit exams. That finally means I get to play something. I always said that I was going to prioritise Deadly Premonition but now I'm not so sure. I sort of want to either go back and try to finish Final Fantasy VII or start on Final Fantasy IX now. That's the downside to having loads of games that I've still not played properly. I can't decide what to play when I finally get the chance to play something.

BBS Signature
Sense-Offender
Sense-Offender
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 29
Movie Buff
Response to Videa Game Regulars Lounge. Dec. 7th, 2012 @ 12:05 AM Reply

This page is awesome.

one of the four horsemen of the Metal Hell
sig by Jay11

BBS Signature
Sectus
Sectus
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 26
Artist
Response to Videa Game Regulars Lounge. Dec. 7th, 2012 @ 12:20 AM Reply

I'm supposed to be getting a new computer for Christmas, so I'm saving up all of my money for new games. Does anyone have any game suggestions for me that I can attain through steam?

Cootie
Cootie
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 43
Movie Buff
Response to Videa Game Regulars Lounge. Dec. 7th, 2012 @ 12:56 AM Reply

Wanting to get Far Cry 3 and Forza Horizon for Christmas. And this thread reminded me that I need to start working on my SNES collection. I have a Supaboy with about a dozen of the real classics, and it is fun stuff.

For I am and forever shall be... a master ruseman.

BBS Signature
Urban-Champion
Urban-Champion
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 11
Gamer
Response to Videa Game Regulars Lounge. Dec. 7th, 2012 @ 01:38 AM Reply

At 11/30/12 02:52 PM, Auz wrote:
I agree with what The-Great-One said, the battle system seems to take a back seat to the rest of the game. Personally I didn't mind at all though. The other aspects of the game were interesting enough to keep me playing.

That's why i like the third a bit more than the second game. The battles are very shallow indeed and they try to address that issue with the arguably simple but well appreciated combo system, giving more tactile input to the fights and adding a degree of depth to them as well. I found that just because of one small addition to the gameplay that I wasn't nearly as bored grinding through the game as I was with EB. And the story is just as good, if not better than the second.

Step
Step
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 25
Musician
Response to Videa Game Regulars Lounge. Dec. 9th, 2012 @ 02:44 PM Reply

Surely there are some Metroid fans around here?

Just wanted to link to this Metroid remix album, called Harmony of a Hunter. It's an absolutely fantastic album (in actuality it's two albums; the original album and the larger expansion album called Harmony of a Hunter: 101% Run) with lots of music artists involved in it and hours and hours of high-quality Metroid remixes across all of the games, from Metroid 1 to Metroid Other M and even Metroid Pinball. Some Newgrounds artists even contributed to it, me included.

I'd advise that you first watch this YouTube preview showcasing some of the music from 101% Run.

But yeah, probably one of the best Metroid remix albums out there, if not the best.

Review Request Club | PLEASE GIVE ME FEEDBACK ON THIS I BEG YOU | Formerly Supersteph54
I'm an Audio Moderator. PM me for any Audio Portal-related help.

BBS Signature
Dean
Dean
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 46
Gamer
Response to Videa Game Regulars Lounge. Dec. 11th, 2012 @ 12:40 PM Reply

Well, Steam have released their native Linux Steam Client for download and I've got it installed. There's obviously a lack of Linux supported games (31) but to my surprise, TF2 is one of the supported games. I probably should have expected that but still, I thought they'd have gone with something a little smaller to start with. Got it downloading now and I'll test it out in a bit. My PC isn't all that great so I'll have it running on low settings and I wouldn't be surprised if it still runs like shit.

Steam on Linux guyz!

BBS Signature
Sense-Offender
Sense-Offender
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 29
Movie Buff
Response to Videa Game Regulars Lounge. Dec. 13th, 2012 @ 12:28 AM Reply

Did anybody else here used to play this game in the arcades back in the day?

sig by Jay11

BBS Signature
ryoukai
ryoukai
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 01
Blank Slate
Response to Videa Game Regulars Lounge. Dec. 13th, 2012 @ 06:26 AM Reply

At 12/2/12 06:29 AM, twistex wrote: I have been playing Catherine for the past few days, picked it up for $20. I am hooked onto it and would go as far to say it's in my top 10 favourite games. If you haven't played Catherine I seriously recommend you try it out if you are into puzzlers, or sex.

Where'd you get it for 20 bucks? The art style looks great, I've contemplated buying it for a while now.

Seamonky
Seamonky
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 43
Gamer
Response to Videa Game Regulars Lounge. Dec. 14th, 2012 @ 07:32 AM Reply

At 12/2/12 06:29 AM, twistex wrote: I have been playing Catherine for the past few days, picked it up for $20. I am hooked onto it and would go as far to say it's in my top 10 favourite games. If you haven't played Catherine I seriously recommend you try it out if you are into puzzlers, or sex.

I saw my friend play that game and it's got one hell of a great storyline to it. Definitely kept me awake when I was feeling tired since not many games can do that anymore. It's also got some catchy music as well.

Guinness Book of World Record holder for the game Blur on Xbox 360, NG's Legendary Member.
Click my sig to see the best Newgrounds flash EVA! Give it a review as well. ;)

BBS Signature
Dean
Dean
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 46
Gamer
Response to Videa Game Regulars Lounge. Dec. 15th, 2012 @ 07:01 AM Reply

Well, the Linux Steam client still seems to have issues, which was to be expected this early on. I didn't even get the chance to see how well TF2 ran because I get an error upon launching the game :(

In other news, I've been playing The Legend of Zelda: Wind Waker and it's pretty good. Still not sure if I prefer it over Ocarina of Time but I do like the art style. I'm just still undecided on whether or not I like the whole sailing element of the game. It makes exploration kinda fun but at the same times there's a fair bit of just sailing from point A to point B. Although I've not gained the ability to fast travel from Cyclos yet.

Really enjoying Zelda just now though. A GameCube copy of Twilight Princess that I ordered just arrived this morning so I'll be moving onto that once I beat Wind Waker. I get the feeling that Twilight Princess will be more my thing but we'll see. Still, that's two pretty decent additions made to my GameCube collection. I think the next games on my wishlist to tick off will be Tales of Symphonia and Skies of Arcadia, assuming I can bring myself to pay their high prices.

BBS Signature
Seamonky
Seamonky
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 43
Gamer
Response to Videa Game Regulars Lounge. Dec. 15th, 2012 @ 08:21 AM Reply

At 12/15/12 07:01 AM, Dean wrote: I think the next games on my wishlist to tick off will be Tales of Symphonia and Skies of Arcadia, assuming I can bring myself to pay their high prices.

I've never played Skies of Arcadia but I've played Tales of Symphonia and that is one hell of an RPG. To be hnest, I bought that game not knowing anything about it. Great storyline, great music, great practically everything.

Guinness Book of World Record holder for the game Blur on Xbox 360, NG's Legendary Member.
Click my sig to see the best Newgrounds flash EVA! Give it a review as well. ;)

BBS Signature
Dean
Dean
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 46
Gamer
Response to Videa Game Regulars Lounge. Dec. 19th, 2012 @ 05:36 AM Reply

I ordered copies of Persona 3 FES and Persona 4 a few days ago and they arrived in the mail today. Both brand new and factory sealed. There's something nice about getting a sealed PS2 game. Probably just because I never encounter them any more but there seems to be no shortage of sealed copies of these games and they cost the same as used copies. It seems a shame to open them but oh well.

Not actually sure when I'll get around to playing these though. I'm still not done with Wind Waker and I started on Star Ocean: The Last Hope yesterday too. Usually I won't play two games at the same time but I'm finding it actually helps me stay motivated. If I get bored of one I just take a time out and play the other. Definitely seems like the best plan when it comes to some of these lengthy RPGs.

There's also three games on the Mega Drive that I'm considering buying but they're like £10 each which is more than I'd usually spend on a Mega Drive game but I'm wanting to beef up my collection a bit. I still don't think I've bought any games since I got the system but it did come with over ten. Knowing me, I'll probably order them. That'll be another £30 gone.

BBS Signature
RiseKujikawa
RiseKujikawa
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 01
Melancholy
Response to Videa Game Regulars Lounge. Dec. 19th, 2012 @ 06:09 AM Reply

At 12/19/12 05:36 AM, Dean wrote: I ordered copies of Persona 3 FES and Persona 4 a few days ago and they arrived in the mail today. Both brand new and factory sealed. There's something nice about getting a sealed PS2 game. Probably just because I never encounter them any more but there seems to be no shortage of sealed copies of these games and they cost the same as used copies. It seems a shame to open them but oh well.

I just love the smell after opening 'em.

You can't go wrong with either Persona 3 or 4. Both are very fun. They are the only JRPGs I've played in the last year or two that I didn't get bored with after 15-20 hours of gameplay.

The only games from the series I haven't played are one and two and I'd really like to try them. I've heard various good and bad things about them though. With them being PSX games they haven't really aged too well when compared to the more recent iterations of Persona games. To top it off, they are supposedly very different from both Persona 3 and 4. I guess Atlus took a gamble and took the series in a different direction when it came to developing Persona 3 and it paid off. Has anyone here played them? Any good words to say for either?

I recently ordered Persona 4 Golden because fuck waiting. I really hate living on the European continent sometimes.

You struck its weak-point, senpai!

Dean
Dean
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 46
Gamer
Response to Videa Game Regulars Lounge. Dec. 19th, 2012 @ 06:23 AM Reply

At 12/19/12 06:09 AM, RiseKujikawa wrote: I just love the smell after opening 'em.

Nothing like that new game smell!

You can't go wrong with either Persona 3 or 4. Both are very fun. They are the only JRPGs I've played in the last year or two that I didn't get bored with after 15-20 hours of gameplay.

I've actually heard a few people tell me this now, so that's a good sign. Especially considering the apparently length of these games. They're meant to be about 70+ hours are they not? Persona 3 FES advertises that all the content will take about 100 hours to beat on the back of their box, if you play through the extra content too. RPGs should only be that long if they're actually entertaining, which I've been led to believe Persona 3 and 4 are.

Also, one of the Mega Drive games I was considering buying last night, Super Hydlide, just appeared on eBay this morning at a lower price than I was about to pay for it last night. Pleased that I waited. I hear mixed things about it. A lot of people claim it's awful and then there's the people who claim that it's actually a pretty decent RPG. I wouldn't be surprised if a lot of the negativity comes from people who've seen AVGN's review of the first Hydlide that was released on NES. Still, I've seen a few gameplay videos of this game and I think it seemed worth the money I spent on it.

BBS Signature
Dean
Dean
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 46
Gamer
Response to Videa Game Regulars Lounge. Dec. 19th, 2012 @ 02:03 PM Reply

Just ordered the other two Mega Drive games. I was debating whether or not I'd go ahead with it but they both look fun and I need more Mega Drive games. I'd never actually heard of either game until yesterday when I came across someone's list of "hidden gems" for the Mega Drive / Genesis. The games are called StarFlight and Buck Rogers: Countdown to Doomsday. Both are space exploration / RPGs. StarFlight seems more focused on the exploration element and Buck Rogers seems like it's main focus is the turn based combat.

I think they both look like they'll be interesting games. They were a bit over my usual price range for Mega Drive games but it seems to be getting harder to get any of the good games at a reasonable price now.

Also, just beat Wind Waker!

BBS Signature
Dean
Dean
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 46
Gamer
Response to Videa Game Regulars Lounge. Dec. 20th, 2012 @ 08:53 AM Reply

Triple post.

The handy little gadget that you see pictured below arrived in the mail today. A USB SNES controller. I've never used a SNES controller so I can't really compare this with the actual thing, but it's not a bad controller. It has a nice D-pad, the ABXY buttons are as I'd expect and the start and select buttons are actually rubber. Not bad for some cheap made in China controller. The L and R buttons are fine too but I can't imagine the original controllers made as loud a clicking sound when they were pressed. Still, this thing does what I want it to. Just plugged it into my PC and it worked like a charm.

Just a shame SNES collecting is so expensive in PAL regions. This will have to do me for now.

Videa Game Regulars Lounge.

BBS Signature
iMini
iMini
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 17
Movie Buff
Response to Videa Game Regulars Lounge. Dec. 20th, 2012 @ 09:11 AM Reply

Dean, why didn't you just get a wired Xbox 360 controller? It already supports a shitload of PC games, and I can't imagine configuring it for whatever SNES game your playing would be difficult. Also, you talked about Persona 1 & 2 not having aged well, and then I saw you beat Wind Waker (my favourite Zelda), and that is a game that has aged really well.

I just got Borderlands 2, I had some fun with the first but I got bored of it, apparently it's a lot more fun if you're playing with others though, so I'm taking it online, assuming there isn't a online pass feature. I played an hour of Gears of War 3 last night with a friend and had a blast for the short duration he stayed, but I don't find it good enough to enjoy by myself. I got 2 achievements though for 95GS after 5 minutes of gameplay though, so I was quite chuffed.

illicit makes a damn good signature.

BBS Signature
Dean
Dean
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 46
Gamer
Response to Videa Game Regulars Lounge. Dec. 20th, 2012 @ 09:46 AM Reply

At 12/20/12 09:11 AM, iMini wrote: Dean, why didn't you just get a wired Xbox 360 controller?

I have one but part of the reason I dlslike emulation is because I'm not using the controller that the games were designed for. This was my way of getting around that and it was only six quid. I'd much rather have the actual console and games though. I'm not such a fan of emulating as a whole but there have been some SNES games I wanted to play recently and this seemed like the best way to do it.

Also, the D-pad on Xbox 360 controllers is awful for this kind of thing, in my opinion. And using the analogue stick wouldn't feel right.

Also, you talked about Persona 1 & 2 not having aged well, and then I saw you beat Wind Waker (my favourite Zelda), and that is a game that has aged really well.

I'm just assuming Persona 1 & 2 haven't aged well because nobody talks about them. There are PSP re-releases available, which might be better. But yea, Wind Walker definitely still looked nice because of the cell shading. As a game though, I preferred OoT. The sailing in Wind Walker got a bit boring for me after a while. Sailing aside though, pretty good game.

I just got Borderlands 2

Never played either of those but I'd like to give them a shot some time. Problem is that they are meant for online play and I've not had Xbox Live for over half a year now. I just don't use my Xbox at all any more since my mate moved away and is never on it either.

BBS Signature
Auz
Auz
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 56
Movie Buff
Response to Videa Game Regulars Lounge. Dec. 20th, 2012 @ 11:18 AM Reply

At 12/20/12 09:46 AM, Dean wrote: I'm just assuming Persona 1 & 2 haven't aged well because nobody talks about them.

I've started playing the first Persona game last year or so and still haven't gotten to beating it yet. I've taken long breaks from it, because towards the end you get these two to three hours long dungeons with no save points or anything. It's not that you die easily, but when I boot it up now I know I'm it's likely I'm going to have to play for two hours or so to proceed in the game which is time I don't often have.

As for whether it has aged well or not; Some of the graphics do look a bit outdated and weird. Especially the world map and the menu screen. It's not that bad though and I think the game is still very playable apart from the lack of save points issue.

I don't know about Persona 2, but I imagine it to be somewhat better.

[Forum, Portal and Icon Mod]
Wi/Ht? #36 // Steam: Auz
The Top 100 Reviewers List (Last updated: 10 August 2014)

BBS Signature
phrozonfire
phrozonfire
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 18
Gamer
Response to Videa Game Regulars Lounge. Dec. 20th, 2012 @ 01:09 PM Reply

Persona 1 & 2 have aged horrendously. I tried them for 2 hours each and it was unbearable.
3 I really should have tried before 4, but I'll probably tackle that at a later date.

I'm trying to get back into Lost Odyssey, but it's really, REALLY hard to jump straight back into an RPG you've taken a long hiatus on playing. I don't remember any of the mechanics.

"I think it passing odd that I am loved by one for a kindness I never did, and reviled by so many for my finest act." ~ Jaime Lannister

BBS Signature
Dean
Dean
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 46
Gamer
Response to Videa Game Regulars Lounge. Dec. 20th, 2012 @ 02:03 PM Reply

At 12/20/12 11:18 AM, Auz wrote: As for whether it has aged well or not; Some of the graphics do look a bit outdated and weird. Especially the world map and the menu screen. It's not that bad though and I think the game is still very playable apart from the lack of save points issue.

Dated graphics don't usually bother me if the gameplay is decent. Only reason that I'm not too interested in getting the first two Persona games right now is because they seem more obscure which means they'll sell for me. I don't think it was until Persona 3 was released that the series was introduced to more people. Plus, am I right in thinking that there's no real continuation from one game to the next? Persona 3 and 4 looked pretty similar and I hear they're good games, that's the only reason I bought them both. Well, that and because they're not too expensive.

At 12/20/12 01:09 PM, phrozonfire wrote: I'm trying to get back into Lost Odyssey, but it's really, REALLY hard to jump straight back into an RPG you've taken a long hiatus on playing. I don't remember any of the mechanics.

Yea, I think I'm at the end of disc three (or maybe two) but it has probably been over a year since I last played it, so if I were to go back to that game, I'd probably want a fresh start. I can't actually remember much of the game at all either, so it would probably be best to start over in my case. I have no intention of revisiting it for a long time though. Decent enough game, but I've got too many sitting around that I'd rather play.

BBS Signature
orangebomb
orangebomb
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 19
Gamer
Response to Videa Game Regulars Lounge. Dec. 20th, 2012 @ 08:50 PM Reply

Quick question here, a lot of my friends suggested that I should pick up Persona 4: Arena, even though I have virtually no knowledge of the games or the franchise itself. Considering that I'm a big fan of fighting games, I wouldn't mind getting this game, but because I haven't played the Persona games before, I would pretty much be a fish out of water if I do get it.

Simply put, Do I pick up this game, even though I haven't played the other games before?

Just stop worrying, and love the bomb.

BBS Signature
Sense-Offender
Sense-Offender
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 29
Movie Buff
Response to Videa Game Regulars Lounge. Dec. 20th, 2012 @ 11:02 PM Reply

I vaguely remember the first Persona. I played it when I was a kid. I remember really liking it, but I didn't beat it. I've never played any of the others.

So, nobody remembers Lucky & Wild? That was one of the funnest games to play in the arcade with a friend back in the day.

Videa Game Regulars Lounge.

sig by Jay11

BBS Signature
phrozonfire
phrozonfire
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 18
Gamer
Response to Videa Game Regulars Lounge. Dec. 21st, 2012 @ 12:26 AM Reply

At 12/20/12 02:03 PM, Dean wrote: Plus, am I right in thinking that there's no real continuation from one game to the next? Persona 3 and 4 looked pretty similar and I hear they're good games, that's the only reason I bought them both. Well, that and because they're not too expensive.

From what I know they're only connected thematically by the fact that they both focus on high school kids, but no more than that. Apparently there are some minor references in P4 but nothing major.

it would probably be best to start over in my case. I have no intention of revisiting it for a long time though. Decent enough game, but I've got too many sitting around that I'd rather play.

The thought of re-starting a lengthy RPG makes me want to weep. All those hours gone.

"I think it passing odd that I am loved by one for a kindness I never did, and reviled by so many for my finest act." ~ Jaime Lannister

BBS Signature
RiseKujikawa
RiseKujikawa
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 01
Melancholy
Response to Videa Game Regulars Lounge. Dec. 21st, 2012 @ 03:37 AM Reply

At 12/21/12 12:26 AM, phrozonfire wrote:
At 12/20/12 02:03 PM, Dean wrote: Plus, am I right in thinking that there's no real continuation from one game to the next? Persona 3 and 4 looked pretty similar and I hear they're good games, that's the only reason I bought them both. Well, that and because they're not too expensive.
From what I know they're only connected thematically by the fact that they both focus on high school kids, but no more than that. Apparently there are some minor references in P4 but nothing major.

Pretty much this. Persona 4 is set in the same universe but the game is set roughly a year after the events of Persona 3. There are a couple of references to Persona 3, many of them aren't easy to catch and most of them are really minor to begin with. Except for one which requires you to go through a NG+ and beat a certain someone.

You struck its weak-point, senpai!