phrozonfire
phrozonfire
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 18
Gamer
Response to Videa Game Regulars Lounge. 2012-11-20 10:26:36 Reply

Persona 4, oh my god.

I have barely touched my Xbox in comparison to my PS2, the ratio is like 4:1.
I've never felt this way about an RPG in my life. Everything just feels so perfect, all the elements just meld together so well.

It's so damn good, I'm considering getting a Vita JUST FOR P4 Golden. An entire console for 1 game.

/end orgasm

"I think it passing odd that I am loved by one for a kindness I never did, and reviled by so many for my finest act." ~ Jaime Lannister

BBS Signature
Dean
Dean
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 47
Gamer
Response to Videa Game Regulars Lounge. 2012-11-20 10:33:09 Reply

At 11/20/12 10:26 AM, phrozonfire wrote: It's so damn good, I'm considering getting a Vita JUST FOR P4 Golden. An entire console for 1 game.

I thought that was just a remake of Persona 4? I can't really comment because I know almost nothing about the Persona games. Although I have been trying to expand my JRPG collection recently and this one is getting added to my list of stuff to buy because of your post!

BBS + Chat Moderator - Feel free to send me a PM if you have a problem!
Want to instant message me? [ Skype - DeanNewgrounds ]

BBS Signature
phrozonfire
phrozonfire
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 18
Gamer
Response to Videa Game Regulars Lounge. 2012-11-20 10:57:22 Reply

At 11/20/12 10:33 AM, Dean wrote: I thought that was just a remake of Persona 4?

It adds a shitload of content, at least 20 hours worth.

:I can't really comment because I know almost nothing about the Persona games.

Not surprising really, for some odd reason P4 came on on the PS2, in 2008/2009. Completely bypassed most people's radars.

:Although I have been trying to expand my JRPG collection recently and this one is getting added to my list of stuff to buy because of your post!

It's just so damn good, And I get bored of every single JRPG after about 10 hours or so, and this is the first time I actually care about any of the characters.

I'm not really good at selling games to people, but the best way I can describe it is immersive. This review does it more justice.

"I think it passing odd that I am loved by one for a kindness I never did, and reviled by so many for my finest act." ~ Jaime Lannister

BBS Signature
Dean
Dean
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 47
Gamer
Response to Videa Game Regulars Lounge. 2012-11-20 11:18:59 Reply

At 11/20/12 10:57 AM, phrozonfire wrote: I'm not really good at selling games to people, but the best way I can describe it is immersive. This review does it more justice.

Yea, I watched a few video reviews after your previous post. Definitely keeping my eye out for a copy although failing to pick up a used copy cheap there are plenty sealed copies going for £12 on eBay anyway.

By the way, if anyone has recommendations of RPGs (for most systems) please let me know. I'm not so interested in recommendations of RPGs that absolutely everyone already knows about, but if you know of any RPGs that never quite made it mainstream and have a cult following, I'll look into them and most likely put them on my list of games to look out for.

BBS Signature
Auz
Auz
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 57
Movie Buff
Response to Videa Game Regulars Lounge. 2012-11-20 19:26:29 Reply

At 11/20/12 11:18 AM, Dean wrote: By the way, if anyone has recommendations of RPGs (for most systems) please let me know. I'm not so interested in recommendations of RPGs that absolutely everyone already knows about, but if you know of any RPGs that never quite made it mainstream and have a cult following, I'll look into them and most likely put them on my list of games to look out for.

Maybe Baten Kaitos for the Gamecube if you can pick it up cheaply (talking <10 bucks). I don't think it has a cult following, but it's definitely not a mainstream JRPG game despite having gotten good reviews overall.

It's not the best RPG I've ever played, but it has a battle system which you might find interesting. It is turn-based, but basically you're selecting cards as quickly as you can to build up a combo and when you get attacked you also select cards to defend yourself. There's no equipment if I remember correctly, you're just trying to create a good deck for all your characters and that will make you more powerful.

The best things about the game in my opinion is one of the plot twists about half-way in, but I shouldn't spoil that.

I do have to warn you about the voice-acting by the way. As with most JRPG's the English voice-acting is occasionally pretty bad.

[Forum, Portal and Icon Mod]
Wi/Ht? #36 // Steam: Auz
The Top 100 Reviewers List (Last updated: 16 November 2014)

BBS Signature
Dean
Dean
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 47
Gamer
Response to Videa Game Regulars Lounge. 2012-11-21 05:35:44 Reply

At 11/20/12 07:26 PM, Auz wrote: Maybe Baten Kaitos for the Gamecube if you can pick it up cheaply (talking <10 bucks). I don't think it has a cult following, but it's definitely not a mainstream JRPG game despite having gotten good reviews overall.

Living in the UK sucks as far as JRPGs are concerned. It's bad enough that GameCube gamers are so expensive here, but JRPGs on the GameCube are never cheap. $10 would be a steal if I was able to get it at that price.

I have heard of this game before though and watched some reviews on it a while back. I'm not someone who's too fussy about voice acting. It's one of those games that I'd like to give a shot but I'm not sure if I'm prepared to pay the price for it. I'll try to keep an eye out for any copies going cheap.

BBS Signature
Mr-Anderson
Mr-Anderson
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 22
Blank Slate
Response to Videa Game Regulars Lounge. 2012-11-23 05:01:03 Reply

Anyone in here get their hands on Crashmo (PAL Fallblox)? It looks fucking killer. Pushmo was so fantastic, and Crashmo is an expanded sequel that was put out yesterday.

If you have QR codes of levels you created, oh my god, post them.

[image provided is just a hint at what it is if you're unaware, also provided a link]

Videa Game Regulars Lounge.

Giantbomb, duder! Steamy.
Hotel Dusk, Ace Attorney, and Metal Gear Solid. I'm set.

Dean
Dean
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 47
Gamer
Response to Videa Game Regulars Lounge. 2012-11-23 06:21:46 Reply

So today the postman brought me my Sinclair ZX Spectrum 128k +2. I reckon that in all the time I've been collecting video games and consoles/systems, this is probably the best deal I've gotten. 99 pence (plus postage) was an absolute steal for this thing. It was a bit dusty and doesn't look like it has been used since the late 80's but I've cleaned it up and it's in pretty good condition.

Unfortunately, the joy stick took a bit of a bump in the post and bit of the plastic has been cracked off the corner but it's only cosmetic damage. I might try and glue it back on but I'm not sure. It came with the user manual too and it's in pretty good shape compared to most of the old computer manuals I've seen. It also came with a cassette tape, which wasn't listed in the auction. It's a game called Cookie.

Really pleased with this. It feels like a nicer computer than my Commodore 64 and having the built in tape deck saves a lot of hassle. Once I get some coursework out the way I'm going to have to give some of my many Spectrum games a shot, seeing as I've never had the ability to play them until now.

BBS Signature
Sense-Offender
Sense-Offender
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 30
Movie Buff
Response to Videa Game Regulars Lounge. 2012-11-23 14:53:10 Reply

At 11/20/12 11:18 AM, Dean wrote: By the way, if anyone has recommendations of RPGs (for most systems) please let me know.

Arc the Lad 1 and 2 are pretty underrated, I think. I haven't played the rest of them. And it might be pretty well known, but I think Dark Cloud deserved more attention. And I'm not sure if Threads of Fate counts, but if so, that one was a bit overlooked.

one of the four horsemen of the Metal Hell

BBS Signature
Dean
Dean
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 47
Gamer
Response to Videa Game Regulars Lounge. 2012-11-23 15:07:44 Reply

At 11/23/12 02:53 PM, Sense-Offender wrote: Arc the Lad 1 and 2 are pretty underrated, I think. I haven't played the rest of them. And it might be pretty well known, but I think Dark Cloud deserved more attention. And I'm not sure if Threads of Fate counts, but if so, that one was a bit overlooked.

I think only the first Arc the Lad saw a PAL release. I was actually looking that up on eBay a few days back.

Dark Cloud is a game that I'm not sure I'd like. I don't know too much about it, but am I right in thinking it has some element of city building in it? I'm not really into stuff like that, so when I found out I was a little put off. It's also a more expensive than average PS2 game here as well.

BBS Signature
Shade
Shade
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 14
Voice Actor
Response to Videa Game Regulars Lounge. 2012-11-23 15:23:34 Reply

Can anyone name a game more depressing than The Walking Dead?

Klobb17
Klobb17
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 09
Gamer
Response to Videa Game Regulars Lounge. 2012-11-23 15:28:34 Reply

At 11/23/12 03:23 PM, Shade wrote: Can anyone name a game more depressing than The Walking Dead?

Spec Ops: The Line?

Mr-Anderson
Mr-Anderson
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 22
Blank Slate
Response to Videa Game Regulars Lounge. 2012-11-23 15:30:30 Reply

At 11/23/12 03:23 PM, Shade wrote: Can anyone name a game more depressing than The Walking Dead?

Metal Gear Solid 4.

Solid Snake is just abused and shoved to the side in that game.

I'll just leave an image of encouragement for the ol' guy.

Videa Game Regulars Lounge.

MrSaint
MrSaint
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 11
Melancholy
Response to Videa Game Regulars Lounge. 2012-11-23 16:55:51 Reply

Dudes who have Steam - I've got two DOTA 2 invites to give away, tell me who wants one.

All of the DOTA 2 players got a shitload of these. And all of my friends already have the game, so I want to to present them to you, guises.

Sense-Offender
Sense-Offender
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 30
Movie Buff
Response to Videa Game Regulars Lounge. 2012-11-24 10:54:13 Reply

At 11/23/12 03:07 PM, Dean wrote: I think only the first Arc the Lad saw a PAL release. I was actually looking that up on eBay a few days back.

Damn, that's too bad. They're both great games.

am I right in thinking it has some element of city building in it?

That's only a small part of it, and there's really nothing to it. It's kind of neat, though. The main part of it is fighting through the levels. The one and only complaint I have about the whole game is that you have to keep drinking water, which is just dumb. It's still a fantastic game, though.

Also, Alundra has a bit of RPG flair to it. It's an awesome game. I've been meaning to finally buy it.

BBS Signature
Sense-Offender
Sense-Offender
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 30
Movie Buff
Response to Videa Game Regulars Lounge. 2012-11-24 13:27:17 Reply

lolwut

BBS Signature
The-Great-One
The-Great-One
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 30
Writer
Response to Videa Game Regulars Lounge. 2012-11-25 14:54:35 Reply

Was trading in games at my local retro video game store. Came across quite the gem. In my possession now is a copy of EarthBound.

Been playing that.

Auz
Auz
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 57
Movie Buff
Response to Videa Game Regulars Lounge. 2012-11-25 16:50:02 Reply

At 11/21/12 05:35 AM, Dean wrote:
At 11/20/12 07:26 PM, Auz wrote: Maybe Baten Kaitos for the Gamecube if you can pick it up cheaply (talking <10 bucks). I don't think it has a cult following, but it's definitely not a mainstream JRPG game despite having gotten good reviews overall.
Living in the UK sucks as far as JRPGs are concerned. It's bad enough that GameCube gamers are so expensive here, but JRPGs on the GameCube are never cheap. $10 would be a steal if I was able to get it at that price.

I don't think the game is all that rare or anything, but I could be mistaken. I see it's being sold for 23.50 euros at an online store here, but that's probably a new(er) version.

At 11/25/12 02:54 PM, The-Great-One wrote: Was trading in games at my local retro video game store. Came across quite the gem. In my possession now is a copy of EarthBound.

Been playing that.

Awesome!

Up until the first two dungeons it might not be all that great yet, but keep on playing. It becomes better and better as you progress (in my opinion at least).

[Forum, Portal and Icon Mod]
Wi/Ht? #36 // Steam: Auz
The Top 100 Reviewers List (Last updated: 16 November 2014)

BBS Signature
The-Great-One
The-Great-One
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 30
Writer
Response to Videa Game Regulars Lounge. 2012-11-26 12:48:16 Reply

At 11/25/12 04:50 PM, Auz wrote: Awesome!

Up until the first two dungeons it might not be all that great yet, but keep on playing. It becomes better and better as you progress (in my opinion at least).

Yeah I actually had to start over because the cartridge froze and erased my data. It happens sometimes. I know that RPGs take some time to get into. I have been a fan of Final Fantasy for years.

Oolaph
Oolaph
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 21
Audiophile
Response to Videa Game Regulars Lounge. 2012-11-26 15:17:02 Reply

At 11/25/12 02:54 PM, The-Great-One wrote: Was trading in games at my local retro video game store. Came across quite the gem. In my possession now is a copy of EarthBound.

Been playing that.

Did you get a good deal on it? The price of that game can get pretty ridiculous.

BBS Signature
Luke
Luke
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 33
Gamer
Response to Videa Game Regulars Lounge. 2012-11-26 16:38:10 Reply

Not sure if anybody is interested in the PS2 anymore, I did notice the Persona discussion though, I played a few hours of that game and really enjoyed it, it's one I want to buy.

I got Resident Evil 4, and Resident Evil: Code Veronica for PS2 this weekend, a friend who no longer has the console gave me them after a concert, and I thought I would go and play CV first, so I might end up popping that one in and taking a swing at it tonight.

Yeah, whatever.
PSN ID: REDSiN66

phrozonfire
phrozonfire
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 18
Gamer
Response to Videa Game Regulars Lounge. 2012-11-26 17:23:09 Reply

At 11/26/12 04:38 PM, Luke wrote: Not sure if anybody is interested in the PS2 anymore, I did notice the Persona discussion though, I played a few hours of that game and really enjoyed it, it's one I want to buy.

Heh, when a friend introduced it to me, I was like "wtf is this weaboo shit?" Suddenly, I am engrossed in the most enjoyable RPG I've ever played in my life.

Just got past the second dungeon, and everything's gelling together nicely. It has some legitimately funny moments, too.

BBS Signature
Dean
Dean
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 47
Gamer
Response to Videa Game Regulars Lounge. 2012-11-27 05:45:11 Reply

At 11/25/12 04:50 PM, Auz wrote: I don't think the game is all that rare or anything, but I could be mistaken. I see it's being sold for 23.50 euros at an online store here, but that's probably a new(er) version.

GameCube games in general are pretty expensive here though. In fact, most games for Nintendo systems that were released prior to the Wii seem to sell for a fair bit more than games on the equivalent Sony or Sega systems. That's the reason that I've never added a NES or SNES to my collection. Master System and Mega Drive games are far more common here and are sold at a more reasonable price.

At 11/26/12 05:23 PM, phrozonfire wrote: Heh, when a friend introduced it to me, I was like "wtf is this weaboo shit?" Suddenly, I am engrossed in the most enjoyable RPG I've ever played in my life.

I guess it's kinda strange for me to look back a few years and remember that the JRPG genre was one of my least favourite. Now, for the most part, they're pretty much all I want to play. I always dismissed them for their obvious over the top Japanese style and in some cases their very childish visuals. Not really sure what changed over the years but now for whatever reason I seem to appreciate them a lot more. Where as I once thought they looked stupid, I now love the style and appreciate the games as a whole a lot more.

Still not gotten myself a copy of Persona 3 and 4 unfortunately. I want to get a copy of both but I've gotten really cheap when it comes to buying games. I think I might have mentioned that in this thread not too long ago. I typically don't like spending much more than £5 on a game (including postage), unless it's rarer or more sought after game. I'm not sure why I've put that mental price limit into my head. It's a bad system that doesn't really work, because I end up buying games that I see going cheap that I didn't particularly want. Thing is though, for every 4 of those games that I've bought I could have put the money towards a game that's higher on my wishlist which costs more.

BBS Signature
phrozonfire
phrozonfire
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 18
Gamer
Response to Videa Game Regulars Lounge. 2012-11-27 09:15:24 Reply

At 11/27/12 05:45 AM, Dean wrote: I typically don't like spending much more than Ã'£5 on a game (including postage), unless it's rarer or more sought after game. I'm not sure why I've put that mental price limit into my head.

£10 or so for Persona 4 is pretty fair, considering it came out in the UK in 2009.

BBS Signature
The-Great-One
The-Great-One
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 30
Writer
Response to Videa Game Regulars Lounge. 2012-11-27 09:17:00 Reply

At 11/26/12 03:17 PM, Oolaph wrote: Did you get a good deal on it? The price of that game can get pretty ridiculous.

Yeah I did. Got it for $120.

Dean
Dean
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 47
Gamer
Response to Videa Game Regulars Lounge. 2012-11-27 09:40:41 Reply

At 11/27/12 09:15 AM, phrozonfire wrote: Ã'£10 or so for Persona 4 is pretty fair, considering it came out in the UK in 2009.

Persona 3 and 4 seem to sell for about £11-13 each on eBay, although those are new, factory sealed copies. Doesn't seem to be all that common for a pre-owned copy to show up and when they do they pretty much sell for the same price as the new copies that are on offer, which is odd.

BBS Signature
phrozonfire
phrozonfire
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 18
Gamer
Response to Videa Game Regulars Lounge. 2012-11-27 12:49:16 Reply

At 11/27/12 09:40 AM, Dean wrote: Persona 3 and 4 seem to sell for about Ã'£11-13 each on eBay, although those are new, factory sealed copies. Doesn't seem to be all that common for a pre-owned copy to show up and when they do they pretty much sell for the same price as the new copies that are on offer, which is odd.

I'm not sure why, but for some reason Atlus games seem to stay in some time capsule where the price of their games stays the same. I think they had a limited release in the UK.

I remember not being able to not find Persona 4 anywhere in the shops and just settling for buying a factory sealed copy from ebay.

Also worth noting is that Persona 3 FES is a superior version of P3 with more content, though I'm not sure what since I'm still in deep in P4. From what I hear P3 is much darker than P4, but that's all I know.

BBS Signature
Dean
Dean
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 47
Gamer
Response to Videa Game Regulars Lounge. 2012-11-27 13:17:35 Reply

At 11/27/12 12:49 PM, phrozonfire wrote: Also worth noting is that Persona 3 FES is a superior version of P3 with more content,

From what I can gather, Persona 3 FES is Persona 3 with some story tweaks and some kind of sequel added on to the end. I didn't read up on it much but I come across a thread on some forum where people were talking about it they didn't seem to impressed with the extra part that is added on in FES. They basically described the extra content as a load of grinding.

I'd go for FES anyway, just because there's more in it. I'm assuming that it sold a lot better in the UK too because the regular edition of Persona 3 seems to sell for more are there aren't as many copies on eBay.

BBS Signature
Mr-Anderson
Mr-Anderson
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 22
Blank Slate
Response to Videa Game Regulars Lounge. 2012-11-27 19:18:42 Reply

At 11/26/12 04:38 PM, Luke wrote: Not sure if anybody is interested in the PS2 anymore, I did notice the Persona discussion though, I played a few hours of that game and really enjoyed it, it's one I want to buy.

I got Resident Evil 4, and Resident Evil: Code Veronica for PS2 this weekend, a friend who no longer has the console gave me them after a concert, and I thought I would go and play CV first, so I might end up popping that one in and taking a swing at it tonight.

Oh fuck yeah, Resident Evil 4 is great. I think the PS2 version comes with two additional mini-campaigns as well, starring a different character.

MrSaint
MrSaint
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 11
Melancholy
Response to Videa Game Regulars Lounge. 2012-11-30 09:35:11 Reply

At 11/26/12 12:48 PM, The-Great-One wrote:
At 11/25/12 04:50 PM, Auz wrote: Awesome!

Yeah I actually had to start over because the cartridge froze and erased my data. It happens sometimes. I know that RPGs take some time to get into. I have been a fan of Final Fantasy for years.

Earthbound is very unique and one of a kind. I find it pretty easy to get into a FF game, but Earthbound on the other hand.

I really like the overworld, it's so cutesy and nice. And the dialogue of course, it's brilliant and very often hilarious. But when I reached Scaraba, the battle system started wearing on me. It was just boring me out. I may come back to it at some point, because it seems to me that I've almost completed the game.

Currently I'm replaying Donkey Kong Country for the SNES. I like dis shiet