New Topic Respond to this Topic
Seatbeltnazi
Seatbeltnazi
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 06
Blank Slate
'Real' News sources vs Daily Show 2009-08-06 13:25:57 Reply

How many of you get your news from 'real' news sources as opposed to The Daily Show and The Colbert Report. I find the 'fake' news shows much more unbiased, as well as getting to the point and giving me as much news as they can and also a laugh within a half hour segment.

So I find the 'fake' news more reliable then the 'real' news.

Is marijuana addictive? Yes, in the sense that most of the really pleasant things in life are worth endlessly repeating.

hansari
hansari
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 17
Blank Slate
Response to 'Real' News sources vs Daily Show 2009-08-06 14:17:25 Reply

At 8/6/09 01:25 PM, Seatbeltnazi wrote: So I find the 'fake' news more reliable then the 'real' news.

As much as I enjoy The Daily Show, its nothing but entertainment...not news...

TDS does do any research in the field. They get all their info from other news sources, then put a funny spin on it. Thats the secret formula you praise in your first paragraph!
~~~~~
I prefer sites like factcheck.org to help get some insight into healthcare and other stuff...

I also like reuters.com... they even have an "oddly enough news" section that I'm sure TDS or the Colbert Report would just love to use...

http://www.reuters.com/article/oddlyEnou ghNews/idUSTRE5754O620090806

hansari
hansari
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 17
Blank Slate
Response to 'Real' News sources vs Daily Show 2009-08-06 14:18:31 Reply

At 8/6/09 02:17 PM, hansari wrote: TDS does do any research in the field.

stupid no edit button... TDS *doesn't do any research...

Prinzy2
Prinzy2
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 15
Melancholy
Response to 'Real' News sources vs Daily Show 2009-08-06 14:31:48 Reply

The only mainstream I really watch is CNN, and I find some reporters, like Lou Dobbs, are incredibly biased and wouldn't budge on an issue even if the world was falling apart around them. For the most part I find reporters like Wolf Blitzer or Anderson Cooper are fairly unbiased and are more concerned about reporting what's happening rather than bashing ideas with their opinions.

I'm sure the Daily Show is more credible than Fox though lol.

Sig by triplenoob

BBS Signature
Glides
Glides
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 06
Blank Slate
Response to 'Real' News sources vs Daily Show 2009-08-06 14:39:09 Reply

Ok, real news is full of idiots who are convinced that if anyone contradicts them, that means the hate America, and the Daily Show and the Colbert Report are THE best places to look for news. Not only are the shows entertaining (and hilarious), but also much more informative then the biased opinions of normal news networks like CNN and Fox News. So go Jon Stewart and Stephen Colbert.

Glides is done with his post.

BBS Signature
Ericho
Ericho
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 44
Movie Buff
Response to 'Real' News sources vs Daily Show 2009-08-06 14:50:55 Reply

My brother claims that stuff like "The Daily Show" is so dumb, and it annoys me so much, as he watches FOX news all the time. Maybe he should look up TDS on the IMDB and compare it's score to that of the O'Reilly Factor.

You know the world's gone crazy when the best rapper's a white guy and the best golfer's a black guy - Chris Rock

Warforger
Warforger
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 06
Blank Slate
Response to 'Real' News sources vs Daily Show 2009-08-06 14:52:47 Reply

Exactly, my head hurt so much after I saw a CNN show, the reporter was talking to one of the few guys allowed to speak from Iran, the guy didn't agree with what the reporter was saying and he himself said everything was back to normal, the text box on the bottom right was singling out sentences that made him sound anti-American and called him a "Pro Government Conservative" when he openly stated he was a loud critic of the Presidents policies

I consider my local news station, above CNN, there unbiased and only report the story no mashing there opinion on there

"If you don't mind smelling like peanut butter for two or three days, peanut butter is darn good shaving cream.
" - Barry Goldwater.

BBS Signature
K-RadPie
K-RadPie
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 09
Blank Slate
Response to 'Real' News sources vs Daily Show 2009-08-06 15:08:51 Reply

Well, they were definitely more reliable than CNN during the weeks following Michael Jackson's death...

Seriously, CNN and probably most other major news sources were just unwatchable.

OMG MICHAEL JACKSON'S STILL DEAD WTF LOL WE TOTALLY HAVE NOTHING ELSE TO TALK ABOUT
RandomParadoX
RandomParadoX
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 08
Blank Slate
Response to 'Real' News sources vs Daily Show 2009-08-06 15:18:11 Reply

Honestly, if you find the Daily Show and Colbert Report funny, you must be getting your news elsewhere. Why? Because in order to find those shows funny, you have to know whats going on in the world. I would go on long streaks of not getting any news from any real sources, and just watched the DS and CR. Eventually, I found myself not laughing because I had gone too long without real news so I had no idea what Jon Stewart and Stephen Colbert were talking about.

ThePretenders
ThePretenders
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 24
Blank Slate
Response to 'Real' News sources vs Daily Show 2009-08-06 17:07:26 Reply

I remember saying that I prefer the Daily Show to 'real news' sources like Fox News and this fucking moron wrote this:

At 10/28/08 04:05 AM, I wrote: If I watch American 'news', I watch John Stewart. That show is more factual than (CNN, Fox, and NBC, the channels I have). The same applies to other 'news' sources from other countries.

Shows like the Daily Show or Colbert Report intentionally edit clips to make politicians(or there supporters) look bad. You know, because they're supposed to be FUNNY. Not news. FUNNY.

You know what? Let me just put it like this:
THE DAILY SHOW IS NOT A NEWS PROGRAM YOU FUCKING IDIOT

I responded:

You fucking moron. Don't you think I know that? That's why I said 'news' you fucking illiterate bastard.

P.S. the quotation marks means that it really isn't news.

What the fuck is taught in American schools when a dipshit with a doke brain can't tell the difference between words with quotation marks and words without them. No wonder educational standards are slipping in the industrial world, if idiots aren't taught punctation. Who's in the wrong me, or that fucking idiot?

P.S. I want that moron to respond.

Link to article.

BBS Signature
ThePretenders
ThePretenders
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 24
Blank Slate
Response to 'Real' News sources vs Daily Show 2009-08-06 17:25:33 Reply

The person in question between "Shows like the Daily Show" and the insult - TehChahlesh.

BBS Signature
KeithHybrid
KeithHybrid
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 03
Blank Slate
Response to 'Real' News sources vs Daily Show 2009-08-06 17:39:04 Reply

At 8/6/09 02:17 PM, hansari wrote: As much as I enjoy The Daily Show, its nothing but entertainment...not news...

How is that any different from the likes of, say MSNBC or Fox News?

When all else fails, blame the casuals!

BBS Signature
Bongun
Bongun
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 11
Blank Slate
Response to 'Real' News sources vs Daily Show 2009-08-06 17:49:51 Reply

I watch the Daily Show and the Colbert Report, however I tend to get my news via the internet. CNN at times, but I've found that after listening to all their Micheal Jackson stories I grew bored of them.

However, I strongly believe, and I'm sure people will agree with me, that Fox news is a joke.

Respect, it's what I do...Then again, so is UberCream's job.

BBS Signature
adrshepard
adrshepard
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 07
Blank Slate
Response to 'Real' News sources vs Daily Show 2009-08-06 18:03:03 Reply

The Daily Show and The Colbert Report are about as informative news sources as the monologues from the Late Show or Tonight Show. They each mention a current event, then put a humorous spin on it. I used to enjoy the Daily Show until I noticed it becoming unashamedly liberal. Stewart's lines seemed less like satire and more like propaganda, and it shows even in the parts where he is supposedly giving the basic event.

I remember him showing a clip of Tony Snow "contradicting" himself in a press conference about the district attorney firings. The transcript of the conference showed how it was taken entirely out of context.

He also celebrated John Bolton's last day as UN ambassador, even though the only personal criticism leveled against him (rather than disagreement in ideology) was that he had yelled at some staffers at some point.

Yet he finds it necessary to chastise the "Mad Money" guy for being a bad journalist.

hansari
hansari
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 17
Blank Slate
Response to 'Real' News sources vs Daily Show 2009-08-06 19:49:52 Reply

At 8/6/09 05:39 PM, KeithHybrid wrote:
At 8/6/09 02:17 PM, hansari wrote: As much as I enjoy The Daily Show, its nothing but entertainment...not news...
How is that any different from the likes of, say MSNBC or Fox News?

It isn't...

which is why, if you kept reading, you would see I go to REUTERS for news...

HandsomePete
HandsomePete
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 54
Filmmaker
Response to 'Real' News sources vs Daily Show 2009-08-06 19:56:58 Reply

At 8/6/09 02:17 PM, hansari wrote:
As much as I enjoy The Daily Show, its nothing but entertainment...not news...

I go to "real" news all the time. I work for the "real" news.
But the OP does have a point to some extent. The Daily Show and Colbert Report DO tend to get through some of the natural hurdles put upon the mainstream media.
But neither should be considered your "be-all-end-all" source, because yes, they're entertainment. Same with Limbaugh, Beck, and O'Reilly.
If anything, you should be fully up to speed on the news, and then watch one of the other shows I just mentioned to GET the jokes, rather than take the jokes as the news.

BBS Signature
hongkongexpress
hongkongexpress
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 37
Blank Slate
Response to 'Real' News sources vs Daily Show 2009-08-06 21:17:13 Reply

Real news doesn't have the God machine beep booop beeep booooop beeep beeep boooppppp.

At 4/22/09 12:38 AM, MultiCanimefan wrote: Raped by hongkong. NEXT.

Yeah, that was one champion of a post, wasn't it? -Zerok

hansari
hansari
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 17
Blank Slate
Response to 'Real' News sources vs Daily Show 2009-08-06 22:16:37 Reply

At 8/6/09 07:56 PM, HandsomePete wrote: I go to "real" news all the time. I work for the "real" news.

Really?

So you can tell us what we missed during that 2 week solid Michael Jackson love fest?

Seatbeltnazi
Seatbeltnazi
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 06
Blank Slate
Response to 'Real' News sources vs Daily Show 2009-08-06 22:16:54 Reply

I would watch the news more, but I dont know of any sources on TV that wont be completely biased, and will just give me the news.

Is marijuana addictive? Yes, in the sense that most of the really pleasant things in life are worth endlessly repeating.

HandsomePete
HandsomePete
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 54
Filmmaker
Response to 'Real' News sources vs Daily Show 2009-08-07 01:06:14 Reply

At 8/6/09 10:16 PM, hansari wrote:
At 8/6/09 07:56 PM, HandsomePete wrote: I go to "real" news all the time. I work for the "real" news.
Really?

So you can tell us what we missed during that 2 week solid Michael Jackson love fest?

I could, but I tend to block that out.

BBS Signature
p4c
p4c
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 06
Blank Slate
Response to 'Real' News sources vs Daily Show 2009-08-07 02:38:39 Reply

news companies have won the right to lie about the news.

and we all know news companies pander to corporate interests and ratings. thankfully, ppl like jon stewart, colbert, bill maher, etc actually get to say what they believe, and understanding that, i believe them 2000x more than any news station. and yes, they do do their research, and its often pretty impressive how much more they do than the shit thats spewed out of "real" news stations.

i mean, it doesnt take very long to see. with michael jackson taking over all teh news stations just for ratings, and fox news cutting off political opponents with "BREAKING NEWS!! DISCOVERY CHANNEL SHARK WEEK!", i've lost all faith in the "real" news industry.

baumgd
baumgd
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 14
Gamer
Response to 'Real' News sources vs Daily Show 2009-08-07 02:48:26 Reply

Personally, I use Reuters. They're very good at leaving out bias and not fluffing stories.

My exception is that for science news I like to use brightsurf.com. It's a bit dry but you find science news there before anywhere else.

Just because you have the power to create flash doesn't mean you should.

p4c
p4c
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 06
Blank Slate
Response to 'Real' News sources vs Daily Show 2009-08-07 12:13:13 Reply

i think the wise thing to do is to just use multiple sources and work it out, not any singular source--even if you consider them biased or unbiased, like reuters.

Ericho
Ericho
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 44
Movie Buff
Response to 'Real' News sources vs Daily Show 2009-08-07 12:36:00 Reply

You can still learn about the news, just adding a humorous twist. There's no statistical evidence to suggest that people who watch satire over the real stuff are any less smarter. I learn about news simply from the clips they show from real news shows.

You know the world's gone crazy when the best rapper's a white guy and the best golfer's a black guy - Chris Rock

baumgd
baumgd
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 14
Gamer
Response to 'Real' News sources vs Daily Show 2009-08-07 17:48:40 Reply

At 8/7/09 12:13 PM, p4c wrote: i think the wise thing to do is to just use multiple sources and work it out, not any singular source--even if you consider them biased or unbiased, like reuters.

Yeah I agree to some extent. Reuters is a great resource but you've got to find some obscure databases and government websites if you want to get down to the really technical stuff.

For casual news-getting one site's enough though.

hansari
hansari
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 17
Blank Slate
Response to 'Real' News sources vs Daily Show 2009-08-07 18:52:00 Reply

At 8/7/09 05:48 PM, baumgd wrote: Yeah I agree to some extent. Reuters is a great resource but you've got to find some obscure databases and government websites if you want to get down to the really technical stuff.

obscure? not unless factcheck.org is obscure all of a sudden...

baumgd
baumgd
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 14
Gamer
Response to 'Real' News sources vs Daily Show 2009-08-07 19:00:08 Reply

At 8/7/09 06:52 PM, hansari wrote:
At 8/7/09 05:48 PM, baumgd wrote: Yeah I agree to some extent. Reuters is a great resource but you've got to find some obscure databases and government websites if you want to get down to the really technical stuff.
obscure? not unless factcheck.org is obscure all of a sudden...

factcheck.org is great for checking whether information you already have is accurate or not mostly. When you really want to dig into information that they don't report on (usually it's too "dry" for the public) you need to dig a bit deeper than factcheck.

All-American-Badass
All-American-Badass
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 31
Blank Slate
Response to 'Real' News sources vs Daily Show 2009-08-07 20:26:02 Reply

At 8/7/09 02:38 AM, p4c wrote: i mean, it doesnt take very long to see. with michael jackson taking over all teh news stations just for ratings, and fox news cutting off political opponents with "BREAKING NEWS!! DISCOVERY CHANNEL SHARK WEEK!", i've lost all faith in the "real" news industry.

i lost all faith back in september '08 when all they talked about was the economy crashing and the election. then fast forward to december they still talked about the economy crashing. i stopped watching the news

Pixmintro
Pixmintro
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 29
Animator
Response to 'Real' News sources vs Daily Show 2009-08-08 01:26:37 Reply

I watch Keith Olbermann, both for entertainment purposes but also because I agree with a lot of his views. He's a cool guy in my opinion B).

But I hate Bill O' Reilly and Glenn Beck, ughghghgh

BBS Signature
Ericho
Ericho
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 44
Movie Buff
Response to 'Real' News sources vs Daily Show 2009-08-08 12:04:13 Reply

At 8/8/09 01:26 AM, ixintro wrote: I watch Keith Olbermann, both for entertainment purposes but also because I agree with a lot of his views. He's a cool guy in my opinion B).

Me too, although I do wish he was a little less angry.