00:00
00:00
Newgrounds Background Image Theme

LFXrd just joined the crew!

We need you on the team, too.

Support Newgrounds and get tons of perks for just $2.99!

Create a Free Account and then..

Become a Supporter!

Creating a noise gate

1,032 Views | 7 Replies
New Topic Respond to this Topic

Creating a noise gate 2009-08-04 23:55:31

With my FPC, I want to create a kind of level based noise gate, where when a sound plays, that sound is cut off shortly after by the noise gate. But I don't want to apply it to every sound. With the fpc, the first half of the bar will play normally and then the second half will be noise gated whenever a drum part is played . Does anyone know how to do this kind of thing or am I just dreaming?

I'm using FL.

Strychnine and cyanide. A healthy part of this complete breakfast.

Response to Creating a noise gate 2009-08-05 00:49:43

Hey, what's that? Over there? I think it's the thread this should go in.

Response to Creating a noise gate 2009-08-05 01:17:54

Hey, what's that? I think that's the sound of ignorance.

I'm looking for help on creating an effect, not using FL specifically to create an effect. Assurably, there is probably a VST I don't know about that can do this, which can be applied to many other programs.

Response to Creating a noise gate 2009-08-05 01:23:44

At 8/4/09 11:55 PM, Mystery-Moon-Pie-Aud wrote: With my FPC, I want to create a kind of level based noise gate, where when a sound plays, that sound is cut off shortly after by the noise gate. But I don't want to apply it to every sound. With the fpc, the first half of the bar will play normally and then the second half will be noise gated whenever a drum part is played . Does anyone know how to do this kind of thing or am I just dreaming?

I'm using FL.

I honestly have no idea what you're trying to do. Something about applying noise to a sound once it's been played a certain amount of time?

Could you use an illustrated example?

Response to Creating a noise gate 2009-08-05 02:47:47

I could kind of create a similar one, but I can't do it now.

Okay, you know how gates occur when you either specify them to, like on a certain beat as a pattern or a preset one? Well, as opposed to that, the gate will occur when a sound is played, and either a certain time after or when the sound hits a certain db, the gate will "gate" and turn the sound down. The gate only occurs when a sound plays. Kind of like cutting a sound short.

Response to Creating a noise gate 2009-08-05 04:24:51

I don't know if that would work for you, but there are quite good noise gate effects, free ones.
The Fish Fillets - channel insert package - contains:
BLOCKFISH - a versatile compressor with countless ways to shape the incoming audio.
SPITFISH - a dead-easy to use de-esser, aimed mainly at mono or stereo vocal tracks.
THIS IS THE BEST DE-ESSER I EVER TRIED !!! and I tried Waves plugins also that have 2 de-essers and several compressors that can make the job, but SPITFISH is much better than all plugins I've tried.
FLOORFISH is a simple expander / gate device.
Available for PC/Win & Mac OS hosts.

Free Plugin Collection from Wurr Audio Plugins
(Little) Tube Booster - stereo tube preamp
Wurr Audio Reverb - a small and handy VST reverb
Wurr Audio Filtertüte - 2 band, full parametric, Hi-shelf, Lo-shelf, Eq filter
Green Gate - for all who use other guitar amp sims and miss the "smooth" noise gate
Green Wah - little usefull plugin for guitar players

You should really check the Best Free Vst Effects thread, those are just two examples, there are more gates and compressors that you can put as gates.

Response to Creating a noise gate 2009-08-05 04:58:13

I'll check them out when I wake up. Thanks for the advice.

Response to Creating a noise gate 2009-08-05 05:57:23

At 8/5/09 02:47 AM, Mystery-Moon-Pie-Aud wrote: I could kind of create a similar one, but I can't do it now.

Okay, you know how gates occur when you either specify them to, like on a certain beat as a pattern or a preset one? Well, as opposed to that, the gate will occur when a sound is played, and either a certain time after or when the sound hits a certain db, the gate will "gate" and turn the sound down. The gate only occurs when a sound plays. Kind of like cutting a sound short.

I know it is possible with Pro-Tools, basically you do what is called "triggering" the plug-in/vst. It is far more commonly done with drums, and in a slightly different way. Normally what you see triggering done for is when a drummer wants live drums recorded, but with a cleaner digital sound. (Such as Dimmu Borgir did on their latest album In Sorte Diaboli) That way you get the live drum feel, with the crispness of perfectly cut and EQ'd/compressed samples. It is a far better way to record drums than real live drums, because typically the samples are recorded from the drum set the drummer is using. They are just already cut and edited to perfection, which saves so much time when editing later.

Basically what you do when working with drums is you mic up the drums. Then you set each channel you have a drum mic'd up to with a midi channel (Or whatever plug-in/vst/etc you want to insert instead of the real recorded drum audio.) And lets say for instance we are working with a snare at the moment. You link the midi/sample snare you want to replace the real snare to the channel in which you are recording the "snare" sound into. (I hope I didn't lose you with that sentence.) And then basically tell Pro-Tools every time the snare drum is hit during recording that it is simply to replace that audio with the sample instead.

You can do this with anything really, not just drums and instruments recorded from outside your DAW. Anything, and I mean anything in Pro-Tools can be linked to anything and everything else in one way or another. It is just figuring out how. I used to be able to trigger instruments/plug-ins/effects/etc, because I actually practiced it while at Ohio U. But I haven't had Pro-Tools on my screen in over a year and a half since I graduated. So I simply am not confident to walk you through the process. However, I have given you the label for what you are trying to do, which is not entirely useless.

I suggest going online and doing some research on triggering effects/channels/midis/etc until you find what you are looking for. I know, it is kinda like looking for a needle in a haystack, but now that you know what you are looking for maybe the needle will be a little easier to find.

Btw, I have no idea if this is possible on any other DAWs. So you might need to actually have Pro-Tools to do it.

Sorry I couldn't be more help here.

-Gravey-

BBS Signature