New Topic Respond to this Topic
butsbutsbutsbutsbuts
butsbutsbutsbutsbuts
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 16
Blank Slate
Moderate Conservatism is best. 2009-08-04 07:21:54 Reply

What's with all these people who think only an extreme ideology is the way forward? People are flawed, not only does this mean all these misty distant utopias are impossible to achieve but also that it is unlikely anyone will ever devise one that takes this into account, no one is ever going to have the answer to all our problems.

A practical political philosophy therefore must take into account the fact that the people using it are fallible and will make mistakes, but this is not enough. Someone who never knows when they are right will err and flip flop constantly as circumstances change, to solve this problem we need to take a look at scientific method which is also based on fallibility, just as a scientist must be willing to listen to new ideas but only accepts them once they have been rigorously tested it should be the same for politics. This is still not enough however, what I have done thus far is exactly the same as all the commies and fascists before me, create a rule book and expect people to follow it, I need to accept the fact that the people I need to make this work aren't going to stick to empty platitudes, they will only stick to what they know.

People are familiar enough with moderation and conservatism, therefore this is the best political philosophy to support.

I think Halo is a pretty cool guy. eh kills aleins and doesnt afraid of anything. Way didnt sye pik cell it is a good fighter!howwouldImake a thingmovewiththearrowsorsomething

Drakim
Drakim
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 07
Blank Slate
Response to Moderate Conservatism is best. 2009-08-04 07:30:51 Reply

At 8/4/09 07:21 AM, butsbutsbutsbutsbuts wrote: People are familiar enough with moderation and conservatism, therefore this is the best political philosophy to support.

Aren't people familiar enough with moderation and liberalism too? Surely you must have a better argument for why picking that exact position than simply saying "well, people know about it, that's it".

http://drakim.net - My exploits for those interested

Ericho
Ericho
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 44
Movie Buff
Response to Moderate Conservatism is best. 2009-08-04 12:35:11 Reply

Moderation of anything is good. We can look at the "yin" and the "yang" of everything by noticing all of its good and bad points.

You know the world's gone crazy when the best rapper's a white guy and the best golfer's a black guy - Chris Rock

RP207
RP207
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 13
Blank Slate
Response to Moderate Conservatism is best. 2009-08-04 13:46:21 Reply

Your views on politics remind me of Popper's 'Poverty of historicism'. He also presented arguments against social constructivism towards an utopistic goal (and some very good ones at that).

The irony of it is, what you seem to call moderate conservativism is what we in Europe refer to as liberalism. Provided I understood you correctly, you would qualify as a center or slightly right wing liberal in our political setting.

But really, little to argue about the idea of moderation being a good thing. Add a healthy dose of skepticism about human nature and turn it into a system and you have liberal democracy: 'The worst but only acceptable political system.'

Riech
Riech
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 02
Blank Slate
Response to Moderate Conservatism is best. 2009-08-05 00:25:00 Reply

This is why Britain must be destroyed!

poxpower
poxpower
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 60
Blank Slate
Response to Moderate Conservatism is best. 2009-08-05 00:39:53 Reply

I don't see the point of stating what politics should be in broad general terms that are pretty meaningless.

"let's not be extreme!". Wow that means nothing.
Apply that to an actual law like "should there be a maximal interest rate for a credit card?". Where's your "let's do it in moderation" philosophy now?

It's crap. Doesn't help you.

BBS Signature
RP207
RP207
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 13
Blank Slate
Response to Moderate Conservatism is best. 2009-08-06 06:18:59 Reply

At 8/5/09 12:39 AM, poxpower wrote: I don't see the point of stating what politics should be in broad general terms that are pretty meaningless.

It's what ideologies do. The OP just presents his own.

"let's not be extreme!". Wow that means nothing.
Apply that to an actual law like "should there be a maximal interest rate for a credit card?". Where's your "let's do it in moderation" philosophy now?

The 'let's not be extreme!' is a possible strawman fallacy. I believe what the OP advocates is a kind of slow/careful controlled change aproach. While the problem as you pointed out are often the cases when there is a lack of middle ground, still its an approach liberal democracy is based. Assuming humans are rational creatures that can discuss their different oppinions and take a reasonable approach in the end... wether it actually works is another question entirely.

It's crap. Doesn't help you.

Might not be the sollution everytime, but crap?There is much less at stake than with the extreme ideologies.

Tomsan
Tomsan
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 21
Movie Buff
Response to Moderate Conservatism is best. 2009-08-06 06:25:25 Reply

At 8/4/09 07:21 AM, butsbutsbutsbutsbuts wrote:

:People are flawed, not only does this mean all these misty distant utopias are impossible to achieve but also that it is unlikely anyone will ever devise one that takes this into account, no one is ever going to have the answer to all our problems.

hence defining an utopia; impossible reality

God invented evolution 'cause he couldn't do it all by himself! Awesome Tees!

BBS Signature
hornedude867
hornedude867
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 04
Blank Slate
Response to Moderate Conservatism is best. 2009-08-08 12:40:18 Reply

At 8/4/09 07:21 AM, butsbutsbutsbutsbuts wrote: What's with all these people who think only an extreme ideology is the way forward?
People are familiar enough with moderation and conservatism, therefore this is the best political philosophy to support.

"Is it a third party we need, or is it a new and revitalized second party, raising a banner of no pale pastels, but bold colors which make it unmistakably clear where we stand on all of the issues troubling the people?

I may be abit Rayndian about this whole matter, but there is black & there is white & there is nothing in between. Moderate conservatives stand for nothing, & there is no such thing as a moderate liberal. The entire concept of moderate liberalism is oxymoronic. There can be no pastels, only bold colors. If the Republicans continue to be "moderate" there will be no clear distinction between the parties.

Buffalow
Buffalow
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 08
Blank Slate
Response to Moderate Conservatism is best. 2009-08-09 09:50:42 Reply

I agree. The political spectrum has often led to serious deviding issues, therefore the middle stance I feel is that moderate conservatism is a very successful way at looking at politics.

Well-a Everybody's Heard About the Word, Tha-Tha-Tha Word-Word-Word the Word is the.....

BBS Signature
gumOnShoe
gumOnShoe
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 15
Blank Slate
Response to Moderate Conservatism is best. 2009-08-09 10:45:05 Reply

Amazingly what you are talking about is kind of the way the U.S. government works. The government was built in such a way that it would be extremely hard to ever change anything, and its made itself more that way as its gone along.

However, beneath the system, which I agree should be slow to change except in the most dire of circumstances, there needs to be freedom for the people themselves to move and try new things. Even if they are wrong or horrible, you need that movement or you stagnate. If the people themselves become part of the "slow changing" system, then what happens is you stop changing and you can't meet new opportunities or change when you should, so there is no "best" political party to be in, excepting the one that's right for you and your beliefs. Then, hopefully society can continue to be stable and move forward and the better ideas are accepted, not by individuals, but by the majority and the system over time.

The problem with this and you idea is whether inherently, the majority of people can be correct always. I think you'll find several examples through out history where the majority have simply been wrong. And for this reason, I don't buy into what you are saying completely, though I do agree that for a mode of government its better than some instable flip floppy machine that goes haywire when it sees a pebble on the side of a mountain.

Newgrounds Anthology? 20,000 Word Max. [Submit]

Music? Click Sig:

BBS Signature