00:00
00:00
Newgrounds Background Image Theme

renatocfrancisco just joined the crew!

We need you on the team, too.

Support Newgrounds and get tons of perks for just $2.99!

Create a Free Account and then..

Become a Supporter!

New Users Lounge (read First Mods)

1,233 Views | 24 Replies

This is the New Users Lounge, aka the Noob Crew. This is based off of two topics that were deleted because they weren't started properly. This thread is a place where new users to the bbs can hang out and get to know each other, similar to the elitist hangouts The C&C Regulars Lounge in the Clubs & Crews Forum, and The Regulars Lounge Thread in the Politics Forum. Together just these two threads have gathered over 100,000 posts that are people just chatting for pages and pages with no sense of purpose. It is my belief that newer users should be allowed to have a similar thread right here, where we can talk about the bbs, things on Newgrounds that are common knowledge amongst the regulars, and to help new users get to know other users that they can talk with in the General Forum. I think that at least half of the users on NG that "troll" the forums are people who weren't given the opportunity to get to know other users, and were simply flamed by the regulars for being a noob. Given the chance to meet other users and learn to enjoy the bbs, a lot of these users would have become regular users and could have been pretty useful people to have here. As a lounge thread, it's hard to regulate exactly what people talk about here, but I have determined that there are 3 guidelines that every user must follow in this thread or they will be reported. They are as follows.

NEW USERS LOUNGE GUIDELINES - READ THESE AT A MINIMUM

1. SPAM - Spam is the number one thing that is going to get this thread in trouble. Granted as a lounge thread, the discussion has a wide variety of directions that it can go, but posting one or two word posts, or by saying something completely irrelevant to what anyone is saying to try and get your post count up or just to be an asshole will NOT be tolerated. Just talk to each other and learn yourselves some shit.

2. REQUIREMENTS FOR POSTING - There are similar threads that have failed because of the requirements for posting or lack thereof. A good example is the "Welcome to NG" Crew!. This crew was based on the idea of older users "welcoming" new users to NG in a thread where they could teach them about the way the bbs works. This is pointless, as it encourages new users to override the rules and listen to people in that thread instead. Not that it matters, because the thread simply became yet another elitist hang out, with only 1 new user posting in it in its whole two pages. This thread is designed on the belief that it is for new users BY new users. The requirements for posting are that the user MUST BE BELOW LEVEL 15 AND HAVE LESS THAN 2000 POSTS TO POST IN THIS THREAD. The level is that high because there are people at decently high levels that don't have much experience in the forums, and the posts are that high, because even though you may know the way of the bbs at 1500 posts, you probably don't have many friends on here, or a club/crew that you can hang out with people in. This is first and foremost a place to meet new users like yourselves and make some friends. As such I will ask that if you do not meet these requirements, unless you are a mod, DO NOT POST IN THIS THREAD.

3. BE RESPECTFUL - As a lot of the users on here are relatively new, they are bound to make mistakes and say dumb things. That doesn't mean that it is OK for you to "flame" them over it. This is a place where mistakes can be made without looking like an idiot. If someone says something stupid, don't taunt them relentlessly over it, because it's only a matter of time until YOU do something stupid, and they're going to get you back. This is a place to make friends not enemies. If you make an ass out of yourself here, you will be reported.

TL;DR - This is just a place where new users can hang out and get to know each other, similar to the elitist lounges in each of the forums. It is legit, and it is also fair. New users should have the right to have a thread all their own to talk to each other in without some cocky regular giving everyone shit. I will regulate this thread very strictly until I know everyone here can act like adults and not be complete retards about this. This is a privilege for us if this goes through and it could be very beneficial for all of us, so PLEEEASE don't fuck it up!

ENJOY THE THREAD AND READ THE GUIDELINES FOR POSTING. ALSO HALO IS A PRETTY COOL GUY. EH KILLS ALEINS AND DOESN'T AFRAID OF ANYTHING. HAPPY POSTING!

NEW USERS. There is a thread where you can hang out with other new users and get to know some people and some more about the BBS. Feel free to post. The Noob Club And Lounge

BBS Signature

Response to New Users Lounge (read First Mods) 2009-08-03 17:02:04

At 8/3/09 04:13 PM, Purples wrote: This is the New Users Lounge, aka the Noob Crew.
elitist hangouts The C&C Regulars Lounge

I wouldn't say they're elitist, maybe the poli or other lounges are but the C&C one isn't. Just because there's a small group of us posting doesn't mean we actively shun everyone else and refuse to acknowledge their existence or whatever.

NEW USERS LOUNGE GUIDELINES - READ THESE AT A MINIMUM
2. REQUIREMENTS FOR POSTING - There are similar threads that have failed because of the requirements for posting or lack thereof.

It's failed in that it hasn't fulfilled its purpose, however, that doesn't mean that a thread with a different starting post is going to do any better. There's nothing wrong with the Welcome to NG crew other than the fact that most newbies don't go to C&C, and if they do, they're not going to be drawn to a three page thread amongst a page of hundred page threads, all about specific things. You're only going to be able to get a thread like this or the Welcome to NG Crew popular by advertising in general. There was nothing majorly wrong with the Welcome thread that this thread doesn't share.

you may know the way of the bbs at 1500 posts, you probably don't have many friends on here, or a club/crew that you can hang out with people in.

But the thing about C&C is you can just find a club or crew relevant to your interests and join it. That's the whole point. I know people with under 1.5k posts who have plenty of friends, because they've found a thread and posted lots in it and got to know the others that posted there... you don't need a specific thread when there are already hundreds of threads that will happily welcome new members.

This is a to make some friends. if you do not meet these requirements DO NOT POST IN THIS THREAD.

How do you expect this to be a lounge if people are kicked out when they get to a certain point? :\ Lounges thrive on continued discussion and strengthening of ties and all that, which come over time, with plenty of posts. :\

TL;DR - This is just a place where new users can hang out and get to know each other, similar to the elitist lounges in each of the forums. It is legit, and it is also fair. New users should have the right to have a thread all their own to talk to each other in without some cocky regular giving everyone shit.

I'd like to see an example of a cocky regular giving everyone shit in C&C lounge or whatever. :\

The point is, this thread hasn't, I feel, cleared up any of the issues that were there with the other thread, mainly the fact that people aren't going to be able to see it. In the second page of that thread, around nine people would have been eligible to post in this thread, according to your guidelines, yet you say it was a failure?

BBS Signature

Response to New Users Lounge (read First Mods) 2009-08-03 17:06:46

At 8/3/09 04:13 PM, Purples wrote:
TL;DR - This is just a place where new users can hang out and get to know each other, similar to the elitist lounges in each of the forums. It is legit, and it is also fair. New users should have the right to have a thread all their own to talk to each other in without some cocky regular giving everyone shit.

way to try to segregate people into "us" and "them"...

Wakka wakka

Response to New Users Lounge (read First Mods) 2009-08-03 18:24:11

At 8/3/09 05:02 PM, BananaBreadMuffin wrote: I wouldn't say they're elitist, maybe the poli or other lounges are but the C&C one isn't. Just because there's a small group of us posting doesn't mean we actively shun everyone else and refuse to acknowledge their existence or whatever.

I know they don't shun other people out, but the fact remains that they're aimed at regulars. New users don't really have a place that's aimed at them. I just think it'd be cool if there was a place where JUST new users could post, hang out, and get to know each other.

It's failed in that it hasn't fulfilled its purpose, however, that doesn't mean that a thread with a different starting post is going to do any better. There's nothing wrong with the Welcome to NG crew other than the fact that most newbies don't go to C&C, and if they do, they're not going to be drawn to a three page thread amongst a page of hundred page threads, all about specific things. You're only going to be able to get a thread like this or the Welcome to NG Crew popular by advertising in general. There was nothing majorly wrong with the Welcome thread that this thread doesn't share.

Word spread pretty fast about the last version of this, the Noob Club. I pmed users that fit the bill as noobs and told them about the place. The thread got almost 80 posts in the first day with people that seemed genuinely excited about the idea, but was deleted after that with no explanation. i'm assuming it was a mod who has seen a million half ass attempts at a "noob club" and just deleted it without checking, as i'm sure happens. Not a big deal. I know i wouldn't want to sift through all the bullshit some people put up on here. The fact remains that a lot of new users were really excited by the idea of just having a place to hang out.

But the thing about C&C is you can just find a club or crew relevant to your interests and join it. That's the whole point. I know people with under 1.5k posts who have plenty of friends, because they've found a thread and posted lots in it and got to know the others that posted there... you don't need a specific thread when there are already hundreds of threads that will happily welcome new members.

Very few of these threads get new posts on a regular basis, and some require criteria that new users don't meet. But i will agree that the C&C scene does a good bit to get users together and match up peoples interests, and that there are people with under 1500 posts that are comfortable on the bbs, however i'm sure that a good majority of them would like to be involved with this thread if it can stay somewhat mature and a nice place to talk with people.

How do you expect this to be a lounge if people are kicked out when they get to a certain point? :\ Lounges thrive on continued discussion and strengthening of ties and all that, which come over time, with plenty of posts. :\

2000 posts is a pretty long time to talk. Those ties and continued discussions can be carried over into general, just so long has people have the opportunity to build the INITIAL ties here. And as the older users move out, the newer users move in. Besides, it's gonna be kind of awkward for a new user to come in here for the first time and see a bunch of people involved in a complex discussion thats been going on for 15 pages. This is just kind of a "Hi, I'm such and such. I enjoy this. Oh really? Me too!" and then learning a little about each other type of thing

I'd like to see an example of a cocky regular giving everyone shit in C&C lounge or whatever. :\

I'm not generalizing regulars as a bunch of assholes, because usually after a certain point, the power trip kind of goes away if it was there at all like you said. But you don't have to dig very deep to find a post like "stfu noob," and i know 13 year olds react to that by getting all butt hurt and "trolling" the forums. This is just a place where that shouldn't be an issue.

The point is, this thread hasn't, I feel, cleared up any of the issues that were there with the other thread, mainly the fact that people aren't going to be able to see it. In the second page of that thread, around nine people would have been eligible to post in this thread, according to your guidelines, yet you say it was a failure?

There was at least a 9:1 ratio of "greeters" to new users. It was kind of pointless to me as I read through the thread. As far as exposure, like I said, the other thread got 80 posts in only a few hours. I had a link in my sig, and i PMed users who i thought would take advantage of this thread. If you guys agree that this thread is a decent idea, then i can take care of getting the new users here. To me, the issue is more towards the fact that if people start coming here regularly, and as some of the users who aren't serious about NG start to make worse quality posts that this place is gonna degenerate into a massive clusterfuck, but i suppose that's the same adversity every club faces.

And Rucklo, I'm not trying to segregate it (although looking back on the post it definitely comes off that way) merely just giving new users the OPTION to post here as an addition to the General forum, not as a replacement, just to give new users a stress free place to post that's stricter on flame wars and that type of thing.

NEW USERS. There is a thread where you can hang out with other new users and get to know some people and some more about the BBS. Feel free to post. The Noob Club And Lounge

BBS Signature

Response to New Users Lounge (read First Mods) 2009-08-03 20:16:37

Levels don't matter, one can be high, like davidzx, but can act,type,sound, and look like a dumb-shit.

Response to New Users Lounge (read First Mods) 2009-08-03 20:29:19

At 8/3/09 08:16 PM, McZero wrote: Levels don't matter, one can be high, like davidzx, but can act,type,sound, and look like a dumb-shit.

yeah, and people like you can not read the thread whatsoever and think they know what's going on. :) this is just a lounge for new users to chill in. and since it's still alive, i'm gonna assume it's open for business. so guys, don't get all childish and shit, but lets start lounging it up. haha. did anybody else see the x games this weekend? travis pastrana almost stuck a 720. that shit is RIDICULOUS.

BBS Signature

Response to New Users Lounge (read First Mods) 2009-08-03 20:37:56

hey,

how's everyong doing?

WORKERS OF THE WORLD UNITE, ALL YOU HAVE TO LOSE IS YOUR CHAINS!!!!

BBS Signature

Response to New Users Lounge (read First Mods) 2009-08-03 20:44:56

At 8/3/09 08:37 PM, mathmos182 wrote: hey,

how's everyong doing?

not too bad. i saw that you're from london. that's sweet man! i've always wanted to go to europe. i've spent my whole life in the U.S. and canada. so sheltered. :( you like it over there?

BBS Signature

Response to New Users Lounge (read First Mods) 2009-08-03 20:46:47

I will join I guess I don't know what to discuss though.

BBS Signature

Response to New Users Lounge (read First Mods) 2009-08-03 20:55:23

At 8/3/09 08:46 PM, UCanCallMeJesus wrote: I will join I guess I don't know what to discuss though.

if europe or the x games doesn't float your boat just bring something up. haha. what do you do for fun?

BBS Signature

Response to New Users Lounge (read First Mods) 2009-08-03 21:01:11

Useless shit

Go YUKON!

BBS Signature

Response to New Users Lounge (read First Mods) 2009-08-03 21:53:39

I'm back yall.

BBS Signature

Response to New Users Lounge (read First Mods) 2009-08-03 21:56:34

I sure won't mind joining I've got nothing else after my college class during the day.

Response to New Users Lounge (read First Mods) 2009-08-03 22:08:13

At 8/3/09 09:56 PM, RazorTimeLordPenguin wrote: I sure won't mind joining I've got nothing else after my college class during the day.

I would like to join to. Great name by the way

I love life but life has a boyfriend.

BBS Signature

Response to New Users Lounge (read First Mods) 2009-08-03 22:10:44

At 8/3/09 10:08 PM, SorgensKammer wrote:
At 8/3/09 09:56 PM, RazorTimeLordPenguin wrote: I sure won't mind joining I've got nothing else after my college class during the day.
I would like to join to. Great name by the way

Thanks dude. It took me a long time to come up with it especially with youtube and google swallowing up any and every name. It was a nightmare.

Response to New Users Lounge (read First Mods) 2009-08-03 22:17:26

At 8/3/09 10:10 PM, RazorTimeLordPenguin wrote:
At 8/3/09 09:56 PM, RazorTimeLordPenguin wrote:
Thanks dude. It took me a long time to come up with it especially with youtube and google swallowing up any and every name. It was a nightmare.

God that would make such a good band name lol

BBS Signature

Response to New Users Lounge (read First Mods) 2009-08-03 22:31:19

At 8/3/09 10:17 PM, SorgensKammer wrote:
At 8/3/09 10:10 PM, RazorTimeLordPenguin wrote:
At 8/3/09 09:56 PM, RazorTimeLordPenguin wrote:
God that would make such a good band name lol

I guess. lol. If I was making a good band name I would call them the Black Razor Snakes or something like that. They have some good band name generators in google that I use all the time for interesting combos. Or you can use blaze or blade to make it sound slick and such. I guess it depends on the band.

Response to New Users Lounge (read First Mods) 2009-08-03 22:56:11

At 8/3/09 10:31 PM, RazorTimeLordPenguin wrote: I guess. lol. If I was making a good band name I would call them the Black Razor Snakes or something like that.

I was in a band called "Shadow Sun Assassination Syndicate"

BBS Signature

Response to New Users Lounge (read First Mods) 2009-08-03 23:01:52

At 8/3/09 10:56 PM, SorgensKammer wrote:
At 8/3/09 10:31 PM, RazorTimeLordPenguin wrote: I guess. lol. If I was making a good band name I would call them the Black Razor Snakes or something like that.
I was in a band called "Shadow Sun Assassination Syndicate"

That's cool. I've never been in a band myself, I just like to come up with stuff. Funny enough this name came from watching the penguins of madagascar and I simply thought what clever name could work with penguins. It was either this name or the BladeTimeMasterPenguin. Either one would have been enough.

Response to New Users Lounge (read First Mods) 2009-08-03 23:03:20

Another good one that would have worked would be Admiral Wolverine Thunder Lightningbolt lol

BBS Signature

Response to New Users Lounge (read First Mods) 2009-08-03 23:05:34

At 8/3/09 11:03 PM, SorgensKammer wrote: Another good one that would have worked would be Admiral Wolverine Thunder Lightningbolt lol

Nice.

Response to New Users Lounge (read First Mods) 2009-08-04 00:35:07

My left arm is fat to the point of stretch marks and my right are is really muscular.

Is this a good topic?

BBS Signature

Response to New Users Lounge (read First Mods) 2009-08-04 01:51:18

At 8/3/09 08:16 PM, McZero wrote: Levels don't matter, one can be high, like AniMetal, but can act,type,sound, and look like a dumb-shit.

One can be low like Luis and be godly.

Also, fixed your post champ. :P

Make war, not love.

BBS Signature

Response to New Users Lounge (read First Mods) 2009-08-04 05:16:38

Mod decision is to lock this thread due to it not felt to be neccessary.

If people wish to discuss this lock please feel free to PM me. Anyone who does this in an abusive manner will be ignored however.