New Topic Respond to this Topic
mrpopenfresh
mrpopenfresh
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 25
Blank Slate
overpopulation; solution anyone? 2004-02-04 22:03:17 Reply

I've been pondering this for a while; whats going to happen when the world gets so populated that wer'e gonna be missing room to put everyone in. Its scary, really. Just think at all the people we have now, then think at how many children they're gonna have, and how many children thir childre are gonna have. With the more and more humans living, the faster and faster the multiplication of the species. So what are we going to have to do? Go soylent green on the world's ass? I hope not.

If I use the DA view for an instant, wars have really ehlped keep the population down. Think about it, if lets say, 50% less battles have been fought during humanitys lifetime, that would transfer in an extra couple billion humans living right now. So, maybe so called "monsters like Stalin and Hitler are actually doing us a favor by regulating the worlds population. So whadda you guys think? Am I fucked up in the head for thinking like this?

FUNKbrs
FUNKbrs
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 10
Blank Slate
Response to overpopulation; solution anyone? 2004-02-04 22:05:52 Reply

coupla points...:

1: floating farms. Plant crops on boats with water purifiers run by solar power.

2: same concept, only for living quarters, preferably in the shallows under said farms.

My band Sin City ScoundrelsOur song Vixen of Doom
HATE.
Because 2,000 years of "For God so loved the world" doesn't trump 1.2 million years of "Survival of the Fittest."

<deleted>
Response to overpopulation; solution anyone? 2004-02-04 22:11:01 Reply

In my opinion, over-population is a problem as far as pollution and destruction of the earth goes but the fact that 20% of the world controls 80% of its natural resources.

I mean, which countries are the most populated and which countries are the most influential? It simply doesn't add up.

mrpopenfresh
mrpopenfresh
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 25
Blank Slate
Response to overpopulation; solution anyone? 2004-02-04 22:16:11 Reply

At 2/4/04 10:11 PM, punk_hippy wrote: In my opinion, over-population is a problem as far as pollution and destruction of the earth goes but the fact that 20% of the world controls 80% of its natural resources.

Yeah, thats another big problem. Some countries just have too much damm territory for their own damm good, like Canada. And then you look at someone like Japan wich is jam packed to the closest cubic inch. Equal repartition of the population would solve alot of problems, but created a whole new set of them at the same time.

MuiKat
MuiKat
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 14
Blank Slate
Response to overpopulation; solution anyone? 2004-02-04 22:23:55 Reply

eugenics almost sounds good sometimes...

JoS
JoS
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 04
Blank Slate
Response to overpopulation; solution anyone? 2004-02-04 22:24:43 Reply

I see only two options. The first and most vioable option is to introduce legislation in every country of the world of the mandidtory permanent retirement age. Say about age 75 you must be killed. Not only will it help control the populations it will decrease medical costs and strain on the medical world and it will save money we dont have to put into longer pensions. The second would be to start a massive war between India and China. Since 1/3 of the worlds population lives in those two countries a massive war between the two is sure to bring about the dath of say 500-750 million people. They wont use nukes cause they know they would both be totally destroyed if they did.

Bellum omnium contra omnes

BBS Signature
beaucoup-yeux
beaucoup-yeux
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 10
Blank Slate
Response to overpopulation; solution anyone? 2004-02-04 22:32:40 Reply

At 2/4/04 10:24 PM, RugbyMacDaddy wrote: They wont use nukes cause they know they would both be totally destroyed if they did.

touche macdaddy

i personally feel that if bush is elected this time, than his administration will take care of at least 15% of the population if not more

soylent green anyone?

JoS
JoS
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 04
Blank Slate
Response to overpopulation; solution anyone? 2004-02-04 22:46:21 Reply

Drastic times call for drastic measures

overpopulation; solution anyone?

BBS Signature
ReddSky
ReddSky
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 04
Blank Slate
Response to overpopulation; solution anyone? 2004-02-04 23:12:33 Reply

West coast countries havent seen the meaning of overpopulation. Places like China with overpopulation and Japan with limited land space have found ways around it. Im not sure about the details but they're turning out find im sure.

Theyre alot more efficient with space, especially the Japanese.

No one should ever have to be killed for the population, by the time its nessisary, we'd probably be able to send people to mars or something.

TheShrike
TheShrike
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 39
Gamer
Response to overpopulation; solution anyone? 2004-02-04 23:14:30 Reply

Euthanasia.

NOW GO KILL YOURSELF!!!

"A witty quote proves nothing."
~Voltaire

BBS Signature
NEMESiSZ
NEMESiSZ
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 45
Blank Slate
Response to overpopulation; solution anyone? 2004-02-05 01:29:10 Reply

It won't be an issue for a long time, overpopulation isn't quite the problem many people seem to think it is. India and other areas are certainly overpopulated, but when spread evenly, the world is capable of sustaining well over ten billion people.

..and hey, if it ever gets REALLY bad in the USA, we could just let the Dems pass their socialized medicine plan, that's sure to thin out the numbers.

TimScheff
TimScheff
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 40
Blank Slate
Response to overpopulation; solution anyone? 2004-02-05 01:32:36 Reply

Overpopulation is already occurring, at least when you view overpop as occurring when one species pushes others out of their natural environment or when you view it on a local level where there are places on earth incapable of supporting their population locally.

In terms of overpopulation reaching levels where humans will die off (and that won't happen until we consume all other edible life). There are two ways of preventing it from happening. First, is not to kill the old but assure the life of the young. Infant and child mortality rates in the thrid world are still high, thus to ensure the sucess of the family many births are required. Stopping these deaths along with a program of birth control would reduce these numbers drastically.

The second means of stopping population is for religions to stop encouraging large families. In the first world this is the major cause of large families and population growth. Manifest Destiny by birth is not a good policy. "Be fruitful and multiplying" should be kept to the smallest factor.

Finally, if the earth does become hopelessly overpopulated, I would think technology would allow for life to exist, provided people abandon a consumptionist lifestyle.

TimScheff
TimScheff
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 40
Blank Slate
Response to overpopulation; solution anyone? 2004-02-05 01:34:05 Reply

At 2/5/04 01:29 AM, NEMESiSZ wrote:
..and hey, if it ever gets REALLY bad in the USA, we could just let the Dems pass their socialized medicine plan, that's sure to thin out the numbers.

Yeah, 'cause that whole system of people with no health insurance and profit seeking HMOs works soooo much better.

NEMESiSZ
NEMESiSZ
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 45
Blank Slate
Response to overpopulation; solution anyone? 2004-02-05 01:34:21 Reply

What amazes me is, you support Dennis Kucinich, and yet you can write a coherent paragraph. I salute you.

True-Lies
True-Lies
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 07
Blank Slate
Response to overpopulation; solution anyone? 2004-02-05 01:41:30 Reply

Everyone needs to go queer, that would solve our population problem. Sure, there would be uncomfortable and downright disturbing moments to cope with, but it's for the planet!

Well, that's plan A. Plan B is that we take every 3rd male born and sterilize him.

TimScheff
TimScheff
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 40
Blank Slate
Response to overpopulation; solution anyone? 2004-02-05 02:02:24 Reply

At 2/5/04 01:34 AM, NEMESiSZ wrote: What amazes me is, you support Dennis Kucinich, and yet you can write a coherent paragraph. I salute you.

He's the only candidate I've seen evoke philosophers to support his positions (and Jesus doesn't count, especially considering the broad range of interpretation that is subject to). I'd also prefer a candidate that has the integrity to vote in a manner that confroms to his stated principles regardless of political cost (against the Iraq war and Patriot Act).

Besides, the best thing that can happen to small business is taking the health care burden off of employers. Our society's need for a moblie and flexible work force means that health insurance and pensions can't be tied to the employer. We're mostly there on pensions. Heath insurance is a mess in meeting the needs of the economy. Plus the for-profit system results in similar procedures costing vastly different amounts depending on the insurance status of the treated. A for-proft system needs to function as a free market, something its failing to do.

mentalis
mentalis
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 55
Blank Slate
Response to overpopulation; solution anyone? 2004-02-05 10:16:49 Reply

Who says the Earth is overpopulated?
more than one third of the population is in two countries, China and India. Everywhere else there is an abundance of space.

In places where there is food shortages, the cause is not the lack of food but but government corruption and war.

bumcheekcity
bumcheekcity
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 27
Blank Slate
Response to overpopulation; solution anyone? 2004-02-05 11:40:26 Reply

We'll have blown ourselves up LONG before the world getys overpopulated, dont worry about that. Have you seen russia? It seems like the place is empty, sometimes.

NEMESiSZ
NEMESiSZ
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 45
Blank Slate
Response to overpopulation; solution anyone? 2004-02-05 11:49:28 Reply

At 2/5/04 10:16 AM, mentalis wrote: Who says the Earth is overpopulated?
more than one third of the population is in two countries, China and India. Everywhere else there is an abundance of space.

In places where there is food shortages, the cause is not the lack of food but but government corruption and war.

You're exactly right in a lot of ways. Everyone wants to assume overpopulation is an imminent threat..it really boggles the scientific community as to why.

Reverend-Kyle
Reverend-Kyle
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 12
Blank Slate
Response to overpopulation; solution anyone? 2004-02-05 12:30:45 Reply

Canada is a very large place, but, dare I say, the majority of Canadians live on the edges of the country (Pacific coast, Atlantic coast, around the Canada/USA border). There's plenty of room, especially to the north, so until we stop being so picky about the climate we live in, stop crying about certain areas being over-populated. THERE'S LOTS OF ROOM LEFT!

As for a solution, I'll have to agree with some of the others, it probably won't be much of an issue when/if the time comes. That's a bit too optimistic... science better not let me down.

<deleted>
Response to overpopulation; solution anyone? 2004-02-05 12:32:52 Reply

If everyone is spread out in places where there isn't a large population wouldn't that result in the urbanization of rural areas and the total destruction of nature as we know it?

EvilGovernmentAgents
EvilGovernmentAgents
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 08
Blank Slate
Response to overpopulation; solution anyone? 2004-02-05 15:11:34 Reply

At 2/5/04 12:32 PM, punk_hippy wrote: If everyone is spread out in places where there isn't a large population wouldn't that result in the urbanization of rural areas and the total destruction of nature as we know it?

So our choices are limited to either space exploration and explotation, or just sitting our asses down on earth. Even if we begin putting people in rural areas, has anyone forgot global warming? The melting of the polar caps means more water in the sea, so that certain areas in the world, like China and India and Japan are going to have possible flooding of their cities. We can't just keep running around in circles on this planet if we want to survive.

mrpopenfresh
mrpopenfresh
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 25
Blank Slate
Response to overpopulation; solution anyone? 2004-02-05 17:18:15 Reply

Alot of you people are saying things along the lines of "well, if you spread the population over the world equally, then there's lots of space" Well, I hate to break it to ya, but you CAN'T spread the world's population equally around the world. Places like India and China will alway be a hotspot of overpopulation, and that is a problem. And then there's the envoronment. Aw PH pointed out, if you eventually urbanize the more natural parts of the world, then you can kiss good bye to the beauty of nature and a number of animal species wich already live there. Fact is; we humans don't own the planet earth, we share it with animal and plants, and taking it over without comsidering our fellow living beings is just plain old wrong. Besides, we need some space to grow crops.

GooieGreen
GooieGreen
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 28
Blank Slate
Response to overpopulation; solution anyone? 2004-02-05 17:23:58 Reply

Have another big, senseless war over the span of 4 to 7 years. Population will drop. Case closed.

Wait, did you want this solved in a good, peaceful way? Hmm, that's hard. I don't think it's helping that there are families that have 3+ kids nowadays. It's an ever growing harmful trend. I can't think of a constitutional way to solve it.

JoS
JoS
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 04
Blank Slate
Response to overpopulation; solution anyone? 2004-02-05 17:35:20 Reply

At 2/5/04 05:23 PM, Gooie wrote: don't think it's helping that there are families that have 3+ kids nowadays. It's an ever growing harmful trend.

Hence the Agent Orange drink with Donald duck on the front to lure kids in. (see above pic)

BBS Signature
diazepim
diazepim
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 05
Blank Slate
Response to overpopulation; solution anyone? 2004-02-05 17:39:02 Reply

Look dummies... what overpopulation? What problem do we face???

I still have a lot of space here... and I don't think there are enough women on Earth, because I don't have a girlfriend.

MORE PEOPLE!!! WE NEED MORE PEOPLE!!! I think overall we should all convert to catholicism and have like 7-12 kids per couple.... I don't think there are enough people... I DON"T see anybody starving.... I don't even see that many people around me....

THERE"S still PLENTY OF SPACE on earth... There's like MONTANA and WYOMING and CANADA that could easily accommodate like 12 BILLION on their own... and there's still PLENTY OF FOOD in the OCEAN And on FARM and in the WILD... look at all those pigeon...

I've NEVER BEEN TO A MCDONALD"S OR WENDY"S and they say something like I'm sorry but we ran out of food... EVERY KROGER and MARSH and WALMART and CUTTERS and 7/11 always have plenty of hot dogs and donuts and enough food and beverage!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I don't even know why people think there is a problem of overpopulation...

IF anything... EARTH IS UNDERPOPULATED!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

IF there WAS any OVER POPULATION... we'd never run out of food because we could recycle people into Spam... leaving out brain and spinal cord... from MAD PEOPLE Disease... and if all fails...

there's something like an thermonuclear explosive device... which can obliterate a billion or two people in one afternoon...

THERE IS NO OVERPOPULATION OR PROBLEM WITH OVERPOPULATION.

Dumbass and poor ass india africa and china just have to stop fucking each other until they can support families.. it's not a problem of overpopulation... so let them suffer for having bastards without being responsible... hell all of my friends have parents that buy them cars and pay off their credit cards... y the hell aren't theirs... BASTARDS!!! making responsible parents look bad.

mrpopenfresh
mrpopenfresh
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 25
Blank Slate
Response to overpopulation; solution anyone? 2004-02-05 17:47:07 Reply

At 2/5/04 05:39 PM, diazepim wrote:
I still have a lot of space here... and I don't think there are enough women on Earth, because I don't have a girlfriend.

FUN FACT: there are more women in the world than men.

MORE PEOPLE!!! WE NEED MORE PEOPLE!!! I think overall we should all convert to catholicism and have like 7-12 kids per couple.... I don't think there are enough people... I DON"T see anybody starving.... I don't even see that many people around me....

Thats because your'e foryunate enough to live in aan indusrtialised country.

THERE"S still PLENTY OF SPACE on earth... There's like MONTANA and WYOMING and CANADA that could easily accommodate like 12 BILLION on their own... and there's still PLENTY OF FOOD in the OCEAN And on FARM and in the WILD... look at all those pigeon...

Pigeons do look mighty tasty... but thats not the point. Remeber alot of the places your'e talking about are mostly unhabitable land.

I've NEVER BEEN TO A MCDONALD"S OR WENDY"S and they say something like I'm sorry but we ran out of food... EVERY KROGER and MARSH and WALMART and CUTTERS and 7/11 always have plenty of hot dogs and donuts and enough food and beverage!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Again, you live in america, its never gonna run out of food.

IF anything... EARTH IS UNDERPOPULATED!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

You can never have not enough humans, hell, wer'e polluting the world enough as it is, think what will happen when there's gonna be double the population.

IF there WAS any OVER POPULATION... we'd never run out of food because we could recycle people into Spam... leaving out brain and spinal cord... from MAD PEOPLE Disease... and if all fails...

Soylent green. Good movie.

Dumbass and poor ass india africa and china just have to stop fucking each other until they can support families.. it's not a problem of overpopulation... so let them suffer for having bastards without being responsible... hell all of my friends have parents that buy them cars and pay off their credit cards... y the hell aren't theirs... BASTARDS!!! making responsible parents look bad.

BIGOT!! BIGOT!!! Maybe it should be your culture who should stop reproducing. Why not?

bombkangaroo
bombkangaroo
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 03
Blank Slate
Response to overpopulation; solution anyone? 2004-02-05 18:25:25 Reply

china is already sorting out the problem of overpopulation by infecting blood donors with HIV by reusing infected needles.

diazepim
diazepim
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 05
Blank Slate
Response to overpopulation; solution anyone? 2004-02-05 18:46:41 Reply

At 2/5/04 05:47 PM, mrpopenfresh wrote:
At 2/5/04 05:39 PM, diazepim wrote:
FUN FACT: there are more women in the world than men.

FAT and UGLY girls DO NOT COUNT... and GIRLS over age 50 are FAT if NOT UGLY... so they don't count either.

Funner FACT: WRONG. There are equal number of men and women... MORE Births are MALE... because MALE sperms are lighter because they have XY vs XX and the extra chromosome weight weighs them down... the percentage last I've heard is like 54% male births.... BUT women live a lot longer because they sit on their lazy ass and have MEN DO ALL THE WORK... while WANTING ALL THE RIGHTS OF MEN... LAZY RETARDED BIACHES!!!!!

JUST STAY HOME AND LOOK SKINNY and PRETTY. And quit getting FAT. Nobody likes a FAT girl. ESPECIALLY if you're FAT AND UGLY... LOOK AT Jessica Simpson... she's NOT FAT NOR UGLY.

Proteas
Proteas
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 30
Blank Slate
Response to overpopulation; solution anyone? 2004-02-05 18:55:39 Reply

The problem with "spreading out the world's population" is available arable(sic) land. i.e.; usable land. Although the country of China is very large as far as size goes, portions of it are very remote, and even then would you want to live there?

Same thing in africa, portions of it are just desert and very arid regions. Not a whole lot of development, and even then, not to many natural resources.

South America; Mountainous regions. It would be very difficult to build housing (much less cities) on the side of a mountain that has a 45 degree incline.

Russia; Arctic tundra. Think Chicago in the winter, only year round.

BBS Signature