00:00
00:00
Newgrounds Background Image Theme

Fkkkkkkkkk123 just joined the crew!

We need you on the team, too.

Support Newgrounds and get tons of perks for just $2.99!

Create a Free Account and then..

Become a Supporter!

Clay Creations

4,333 Views | 38 Replies
New Topic Respond to this Topic

Clay Creations 2009-08-02 11:20:13

This thread is a place to post your creations from clay!
Here you can also ask and give other people advice on clay art. This can include techniques, types of clay, useful tricks, but also paint as you can paint your sculptures.
If you show a creation, it is preferable to mention the scale. For instance the sculpture below, I made after a game character, is 11 cm in height; an average male is about 180 cm in height, so the scale is approximately 1:16.

Clay Creations

BBS Signature

Response to Clay Creations 2009-08-02 11:20:57

i like it

(but runescape sux)

Drink tea and fuck bitches.

Response to Clay Creations 2009-08-02 11:22:22

Nice work. Ill be sure to make and post some soon.

I ran. I ran until my muscles burned, and my veins pumped battery acid. Then I ran some more.

BBS Signature

Response to Clay Creations 2009-08-02 11:37:24

ewww runescape

pretty cool tho

Response to Clay Creations 2009-08-02 11:52:10

At 8/2/09 11:20 AM, Keramikon wrote: This thread is a place to post your creations from clay!

Actually this thread is a place to post your creations from clay...

NEVER LOOSE FAITH IN MANCUNT

BBS Signature

Response to Clay Creations 2009-08-02 12:10:40

At 8/2/09 11:52 AM, J-qb wrote: Actually this thread is a place to post your creations from clay...

That thread looks more like a personal clay art thread from Frakenbourrough. The title is 'clay beasties', those are the things he makes, and it suggests that the thread excepts other types of sculptures like miniature houses or people. He also starts his thread with talking about himself; the first four sentences all begin with 'I'. Of course he later adds that others are free to post their own stuff, but still I don't think it is a good start of a thread.

At 8/2/09 11:20 AM, fishboy121 wrote: i like it
(but runescape sux)

Thanks, and however I don't play Runescape myself, I don't think it sucks. I made the character as a practice, for later I may be making figurines of game characters of some other people. I made this RS account quickly for it, you can see it because of it's beginner's equipment. I will practice some more with making Runescape figurines, I'm now working on an NPC called General Graardor, see the image below. It's the leader of the goblins in the game.

Clay Creations

BBS Signature

Response to Clay Creations 2009-08-02 16:39:20

Cool topic, I hope it picks up. Keramikon, what kind of paint did you use? I like how it shines for the metal.

------

I made this over a year ago. I haven't painted it. He stands about 2.5 inches tall from the nose, and is about 4 inches from the end point of tail to nose (where the shadow would fall, if it was extended straight, it would be longer). It's not based on any lizard in particular, so I'm not sure what the size ratio would be.

I have another small sculpture that I'm currently painting, but I'm not happy with it; it's very simple and not very eye catching. Nevertheless, if anyone's interested, I'll post it.

Clay Creations

Response to Clay Creations 2009-08-02 19:40:29

At 8/2/09 04:39 PM, Temariix wrote: what kind of paint did you use? I like how it shines for the metal.

I used Citadel Paint. It's the paint used for Warhammer figures. I don't have Warhammer myself but I just bought the paint because I thought it was good. It is much more expensive than regular acrylics, but I found it necessary, because regular acrylics easily flake off the smooth surface of the clay. Citadel Paint also looks more brilliant.
There is also another paint about similar to Citadel paint, called Vallejo paint, I never used it but some say it's better. I think the tubes of Vallejo are handier, because they can squirt out the paint directly, and with Citadel you have to get it out of the pots with your brush, then first wash off the paint from your brush before taking another color to mix with the first one, because you don't want to pollute the other pot, then you loose paint for nothing.
The citadel paints also have some metal colors, they are with metal particles which shine, then it looks a bit like metal. On that sculpture I painted, I used thinned metal paint as an undercoat and painted the highlights with lighter paint.

I made this over a year ago. I haven't painted it. He stands about 2.5 inches tall from the nose, and is about 4 inches from the end point of tail to nose
I have another small sculpture that I'm currently painting, but I'm not happy with it; it's very simple and not very eye catching. Nevertheless, if anyone's interested, I'll post it.

Your dinosaur/lizard looks very cool! I like the orange, it reminds me of a game called Tekken I played at a friend's years ago. I always chose the character called 'Gon', which is also an orange lizard. What was the clay you used? Did you bake it or is it clay that stays soft?
And I am interested in your current project, we can give some criticism.

BBS Signature

Response to Clay Creations 2009-08-02 22:59:01

well tekken obviously OBVIOUSLY

Lordadon is your Lord

Response to Clay Creations 2009-08-03 17:09:56

At 8/3/09 02:58 PM, threadwood wrote: Also, for smoothing your creations, rather that using your fingers you should buy ziploc bags and cut them into strips, place it on the surface of your piece and use one of the tools to smooth out the bumps and dents.

Thanks for the tip, I usually do it directly with a tool. So pieces of ziploc bags between it would work better?

I usually use big end of the tool farthest to the right in this picture for that.

Me too! I believe I have 2 more tools from those, but I never use those, I use only the one on the right, and then especially the rhombus-shaped end on the bottom. It happens to be the best shape for sculpting for me.

Here is a sculpture I just finished, it's 12 cm in height(I said it's preferable to add the scale, but just the size is also ok. It's just because you can't really see the size of it on photos)
It's General Graardor from Runescape, I'll add pictures of him from the game in the next post.
The base is white because in the game he stands on ice.

Clay Creations

BBS Signature

Response to Clay Creations 2009-08-03 17:13:42

So here is how General Graardor looks in the game:

Clay Creations

BBS Signature

Response to Clay Creations 2009-08-03 17:55:03

thoes are really really good you should mabe try doing a caracter with one of the barrow sets of full bandos? i think that would look pretty cool

Response to Clay Creations 2009-08-03 19:55:08

Those clay sculpters look like dental instruments

Response to Clay Creations 2009-08-03 20:58:51

AWSOME.Great clay.Also Runescape is great no matter what you'll say.

X-tra Large Human

Please see MY Threadand please post a comment

Gamertag: XLH nWo Steam ID: XLH2000

BBS Signature

Response to Clay Creations 2009-08-04 07:58:33

At 8/3/09 05:55 PM, 333tiger wrote: thoes are really really good you should mabe try doing a caracter with one of the barrow sets of full bandos? i think that would look pretty cool

thanks
Yes, I could do that

I just saw I forgot the darker rings on the print of it's skirt
And I think I did a bad job on his scottish kilt towel thing, don't you think?

BBS Signature

Response to Clay Creations 2009-08-05 07:20:00

At 8/4/09 12:03 PM, threadwood wrote:
At 8/3/09 05:13 PM, Keramikon wrote: So here is how General Graardor looks in the game:
Cool! What kind of clay do you use? Here's a guy I sculpted one time:

That is good! You did a good job on the expression. I saw him before, in the art portal. Did you use plasticine? Was it for a claymation?
I use polymer baking clay for my models, FIMO. I never used other polymer clays, but I heard that Sculpey III and Kato clay were good; since you have a lot of eperience with clay, do you know which of these(or another one) you would recommend me?

BBS Signature

Response to Clay Creations 2009-08-05 07:25:37

PS:
How did you get those eyes??
And if you made that man for a claymation, how did you move the eyes?

BBS Signature

Response to Clay Creations 2009-08-06 12:29:01

At 8/5/09 10:16 AM, threadwood wrote: Yeah he was for animation. I used a clay called Caran D'ache. It's the best, but it's hard to get. My boss had to import it from Sweden. The other clay I use, which is easier to get is Van Aken. But the colors rub off on each other very easily, and it doesn't smooth as well.

And that when some years ago I wanted to get Van Aken clay but never succeeded! I wanted to order it from America, but I found it wasn't orderable. So getting that caran d'ache clay will be about impossible for me to get. But thanks for the information, I'll remember the name.
Yes you have answered my questions, but now I have some more questions(sorry). Because of your job I got interested in working in the claymation business aswell. Do you like your job? Would you recommend it to me? How did you get it?
thanks

BBS Signature

Response to Clay Creations 2009-08-06 14:24:29

At 8/6/09 12:29 PM, Keramikon wrote: And that when some years ago I wanted to get Van Aken clay but never succeeded! I wanted to order it from America, but I found it wasn't orderable. So getting that caran d'ache clay will be about impossible for me to get. But thanks for the information, I'll remember the name.
Yes you have answered my questions, but now I have some more questions(sorry). Because of your job I got interested in working in the claymation business aswell. Do you like your job? Would you recommend it to me? How did you get it?
thanks

Id think youd be able to get it somewhere in amsterdam? I havent been able to find anything in my quick hasty web search, carandache materials are quite abundantly available in the netherlands... otherwise it is just 1500 km to the original carandache factory in switzerland.

NEVER LOOSE FAITH IN MANCUNT

BBS Signature

Response to Clay Creations 2009-08-09 15:14:50

hate crappy cameras.
Need to add some fabrics and let the moss grow to cover the whole base

Clay Creations

|_| |_| |_| |_| |_| |_| |_| |_| |_| |_| |_| |_| |_| |_| |_| |_| |_| |_| |_| |_| |_| |_| |_| |_| |_| |_| |_| |_| |_| |_| |_| |_|

Response to Clay Creations 2009-08-09 15:18:07

At 8/3/09 05:13 PM, Keramikon wrote: So here is how General Graardor looks in the game:

Ha. It's sort of pathetic when a clay statue of a character looks better than the in game depiction.

I have nothing to say that is at all relevant.

BBS Signature

Response to Clay Creations 2009-08-09 22:06:34

At 8/2/09 07:40 PM, Keramikon wrote: Your dinosaur/lizard looks very cool! I like the orange, it reminds me of a game called Tekken I played at a friend's years ago. I always chose the character called 'Gon', which is also an orange lizard. What was the clay you used? Did you bake it or is it clay that stays soft?
And I am interested in your current project, we can give some criticism.

I think I used Sculpey III, but that was formed from the remains of another project, so it may have been FIMO (but probably Sculpey). I had to bake it to harden it, I've never tried using air drying clays.

I once used Crayola Model Magic, but I was very young, so I don't recall how it felt to create it. The end result is very light weight though, kind of like a very stale marshmallow. This may be just me, but I like it when sculptures have weight to them so that they feel dense. To me, the weight makes me think that it's a more quality item rather than some lightweight plastic (for any item really). I dunno, that's just me.

I've almost finished my other sculpture. I painted the second coat the other day and all I have left is it's one eye. The left eye came out perfect the first time and looks great, but that other one.... I kept trying to make it better, but in the process, only made it worse, so since the paint was still wet I just scraped it off and let it dry. I think what I'm going to do once the eye is finished is paint over both eyes with a clear glossy finish that I got at A.C. Moore on clearance. It's called Treasure Crystal Cote and I've never used it before, so if anyone else has, I'd like to know if it's any good. It says it's highly flammable, so that's a plus ;D It even says not to use if pregnant or considering becoming pregnant... sounds like some serious stuff lol

Sorry for the week long response...

Response to Clay Creations 2009-08-11 10:19:20

At 8/9/09 03:14 PM, Fleshlight wrote: hate crappy cameras.
Need to add some fabrics and let the moss grow to cover the whole base

Wow it looks good! I was stunned when I saw because I thought it was lifesize, because of the garden, but then I saw it was on a table in your garden. Or isn't it?
From what did you make it?
and who is it, or is it just a character.

At 8/9/09 10:06 PM, Temariix wrote: To me, the weight makes me think that it's a more quality item rather than some lightweight plastic (for any item really). I dunno, that's just me.

me too but still I make my objects more lightweight than they could be, because I make their inside with aluminum. But that is only to save expensive clay.

It's called Treasure Crystal Cote and I've never used it before, so if anyone else has, I'd like to know if it's any good. It says it's highly flammable, so that's a plus ;D It even says not to use if pregnant or considering becoming pregnant... sounds like some serious stuff lol

If it's very liquid it's probably good but I would test it on some paper first.
Succes on the eye, don't forget to post an image if you're finished!

BBS Signature

Response to Clay Creations 2009-08-11 15:26:02

I'm starting an unofficial clay NGR cast.

BBS Signature

Response to Clay Creations 2009-08-12 06:30:35

At 8/11/09 03:26 PM, PikaRobo wrote: I'm starting an unofficial clay NGR cast.

What is NGR? Newgrounds Robots? But you also made alien hominid and that's not a robot.
You could try to make the Audiobot.

BBS Signature

Response to Clay Creations 2009-08-12 08:23:57

This is a wedding cake topper I made for people who married. The man is turkish and he is a surgeon, he is in his job's clothes. The woman is studying psychology so she is lying in a Sigmund Freud pose on a sofa. They already have a little girl, I made her too.

BBS Signature

Response to Clay Creations 2009-08-12 08:24:59

I forgot the file, here it is:

Clay Creations

BBS Signature

Response to Clay Creations 2009-08-13 00:13:40

At 8/12/09 08:24 AM, Keramikon wrote: I forgot the file, here it is:

thats awesome dude way cool

keep ur friggen eyelids down

BBS Signature

Response to Clay Creations 2009-08-14 20:26:14

Okay, so I used this really basic ProArt acrylic paint set to paint my baby griffon sculpture, but it's still kind of sticky even though it's been dry for about a week. I'm thinking that if I stick it in the toaster oven for a little bit it might harden it, but I'm not sure. What would you guys recommend, any ideas?

(btw, all that's left to do is take pictures. I used the gloss - which smells like rubber cement times twenty - and it turned out great; they look like real, glossy eyes)

Response to Clay Creations 2009-08-14 23:25:59

The gloss finish made the eyes look amazing. It still needs about a day to fully cure, but it should have the same effect. The little feller is about 3 inches tall and about 2 inches wide both ways.

So I present to you, baby griffin. Any critique would be lovely.

Not the best quality pictures in the world... also not the best lighting, which hindered the picture quality...

Clay Creations