Be a Supporter!

The ignorance of some

  • 1,945 Views
  • 77 Replies
New Topic Respond to this Topic
D2Kvirus
D2Kvirus
  • Member since: Jan. 31, 2001
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Member
Level 38
Filmmaker
Response to The ignorance of some Feb. 5th, 2004 @ 10:58 AM Reply

At 2/5/04 12:36 AM, BWS wrote:
At 2/4/04 10:10 AM, D2KVirus wrote: How many times do I have to say it - Rational American Thinking.
Yes, because all Americans are irrational, and the rest of the world is rational.
Great logic there buddy.

Do they have sarcasm in America??? Or irony (without "quotation marks")?

Wait, wrong site...


Propaganda is to a Democracy what violence is to a Dictatorship
Never underestimate the significance of "significant."
NG Politics Discussion 101

BBS Signature
BWS
BWS
  • Member since: Jun. 5, 2003
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Member
Level 24
Blank Slate
Response to The ignorance of some Feb. 5th, 2004 @ 11:06 AM Reply

At 2/5/04 10:58 AM, D2KVirus wrote: Do they have sarcasm in America??? Or irony (without "quotation marks")?

Yes, of course we do. The problem is that you seem to seriously believe this little saying of yours, and I dont believe that you mean it in a sarcastic way.

D2Kvirus
D2Kvirus
  • Member since: Jan. 31, 2001
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Member
Level 38
Filmmaker
Response to The ignorance of some Feb. 5th, 2004 @ 11:11 AM Reply

At 2/5/04 11:06 AM, BWS wrote:
At 2/5/04 10:58 AM, D2KVirus wrote: Do they have sarcasm in America??? Or irony (without "quotation marks")?
Yes, of course we do. The problem is that you seem to seriously believe this little saying of yours, and I dont believe that you mean it in a sarcastic way.

I'll remember that next time the main way any Pro-Bush/USA/Anyone But Them automoton writes to a newspaper to attack someone that is disagreeing with them. Using immature crap as a means of discourse, regardless of the original statment/article.

The problem is, I hit the nail on the head. With a sledgehammer. It's currently something like 35% sarcasm, 65% truth.


Propaganda is to a Democracy what violence is to a Dictatorship
Never underestimate the significance of "significant."
NG Politics Discussion 101

BBS Signature
BWS
BWS
  • Member since: Jun. 5, 2003
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Member
Level 24
Blank Slate
Response to The ignorance of some Feb. 5th, 2004 @ 11:17 AM Reply

At 2/5/04 11:11 AM, D2KVirus wrote: The problem is, I hit the nail on the head. With a sledgehammer. It's currently something like 35% sarcasm, 65% truth.

I dont give a fuck about the political stance taken. Its just that im sick of people bashing America and thinking that they are all slackjaw inbreeds. You seem to do this quite often, and in my opinion it makes you come off as a sanctimonious asshole.

NEMESiSZ
NEMESiSZ
  • Member since: Apr. 13, 2001
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Member
Level 45
Blank Slate
Response to The ignorance of some Feb. 5th, 2004 @ 11:22 AM Reply

Are you sure it wasn't just a low-quality movie? Lots of times people vote low for those...

bumcheekcity
bumcheekcity
  • Member since: Jan. 19, 2003
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Member
Level 27
Blank Slate
Response to The ignorance of some Feb. 5th, 2004 @ 11:33 AM Reply

At 2/5/04 02:51 AM, DeathSimian wrote: That would explain the one with Howard Dean's head exploding. That was utter shit. I don't care which side of the politics you're on, I can't understand why someone would like something so unoriginal and low-quality.

yEs, it would. If i facy seeing a video of him speaking, i'd just have watched the video. The other one on was rather amusing though.

DeathSimian
DeathSimian
  • Member since: Aug. 20, 2003
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Member
Level 08
Blank Slate
Response to The ignorance of some Feb. 5th, 2004 @ 06:25 PM Reply

At 2/5/04 11:33 AM, bumcheekcity wrote:
yEs, it would. If i facy seeing a video of him speaking, i'd just have watched the video. The other one on was rather amusing though.

Yeah, the other one was creative, original, and funny. The one with his head exploding was none of those.

DeathSimian
DeathSimian
  • Member since: Aug. 20, 2003
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Member
Level 08
Blank Slate
Response to The ignorance of some Feb. 5th, 2004 @ 06:28 PM Reply

At 2/5/04 11:22 AM, NEMESiSZ wrote: Are you sure it wasn't just a low-quality movie? Lots of times people vote low for those...

What movie are you talking about? If you're talking about mine, I never once complained about how it was being voted on. I'm really happy with the score I got.

Ellov
Ellov
  • Member since: Jul. 18, 2002
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Member
Level 07
Blank Slate
Response to The ignorance of some Feb. 5th, 2004 @ 06:54 PM Reply

Stop blamming Bush/Kerry and all that. That gets no where.

D2Kvirus
D2Kvirus
  • Member since: Jan. 31, 2001
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Member
Level 38
Filmmaker
Response to The ignorance of some Feb. 6th, 2004 @ 11:55 AM Reply

At 2/5/04 11:17 AM, BWS wrote:
I dont give a fuck about the political stance taken. Its just that im sick of people bashing America and thinking that they are all slackjaw inbreeds. You seem to do this quite often, and in my opinion it makes you come off as a sanctimonious asshole.

Thank you for backing up the main part of it - the notion of "You're wrong, asshole", as if that somehow enhances your position regardless of how little you back it up with F-A-C-T-S. Oh, and throwing out random unsubstantiated claims. Just call me racist...


Propaganda is to a Democracy what violence is to a Dictatorship
Never underestimate the significance of "significant."
NG Politics Discussion 101

BBS Signature
BWS
BWS
  • Member since: Jun. 5, 2003
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Member
Level 24
Blank Slate
Response to The ignorance of some Feb. 6th, 2004 @ 02:17 PM Reply

At 2/6/04 11:55 AM, D2KVirus wrote:
At 2/5/04 11:17 AM, BWS wrote:
I dont give a fuck about the political stance taken. Its just that im sick of people bashing America and thinking that they are all slackjaw inbreeds. You seem to do this quite often, and in my opinion it makes you come off as a sanctimonious asshole.
Thank you for backing up the main part of it - the notion of "You're wrong, asshole", as if that somehow enhances your position regardless of how little you back it up with F-A-C-T-S. Oh, and throwing out random unsubstantiated claims. Just call me racist...

Youre one to speak! Look, work on your reading comprehension a bit and realize that what Ive said is an opinion; why would "F-A-C-T-S" be necessary when its an opinion? Youre being a hypocrite as well because instead of hearing me out, you go into attack mode here and then accuse me of it! Im not some ignorant little prick, so dont assume that I am by implying that I simply throw around "random unsubstatiated claims"...Im the person that actually bitches about that all the time. Bottom line, you seem to think that the entire United States is full of uneducated rednecks; youve given me no reason to think otherwise. Now, how about adressing the issue instead of writing me off and looking like a hypocrite?

beaucoup-yeux
beaucoup-yeux
  • Member since: Feb. 20, 2003
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Member
Level 10
Blank Slate
Response to The ignorance of some Feb. 6th, 2004 @ 04:03 PM Reply

the scary part isnt the ignorance of americans but those that are aware of whats going on and dont give a fuck. I mentioned to someone that weve killed thousands of civillians, and that all of saddams crimes stopped after the gulf war (first one). He didnt care, still felt bush was great.

By the way, i remember that movie, voted five when i saw it. Except for that line about going to church on easter, that movie was wonderful. keep on cranking out pro-freedom flash

bumcheekcity
bumcheekcity
  • Member since: Jan. 19, 2003
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Member
Level 27
Blank Slate
Response to The ignorance of some Feb. 6th, 2004 @ 04:07 PM Reply

At 2/6/04 04:03 PM, kada wrote: He didnt care, still felt bush was great.

Undenied, blind support for a President... Scary...

D2Kvirus
D2Kvirus
  • Member since: Jan. 31, 2001
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Member
Level 38
Filmmaker
Response to The ignorance of some Feb. 7th, 2004 @ 10:21 AM Reply

At 2/6/04 02:17 PM, BWS wrote:

Youre one to speak! Look, work on your reading comprehension a bit and realize that what Ive said is an opinion; why would "F-A-C-T-S" be necessary when its an opinion? Youre being a hypocrite as well because instead of hearing me out, you go into attack mode here and then accuse me of it! Im not some ignorant little prick, so dont assume that I am by implying that I simply throw around "random unsubstatiated claims"...Im the person that actually bitches about that all the time. Bottom line, you seem to think that the entire United States is full of uneducated rednecks; youve given me no reason to think otherwise. Now, how about adressing the issue instead of writing me off and looking like a hypocrite?

Why should I "hear you out" when you're going straight into defensive mode, calling me a "sanctimonious bastard" and promptly expending as much effort as possible to paint me as an asshole? Didn't you look around and notice that's what the whole concept of RAT is?

By the way - I spot an unsubstantiated claim being thrown around randomly in your rhetoric there - that's what hypocrisy is.

Then there's the way you take it on as some kind of personal attack on you, as apparently "America" represents YOU. Damn, I guess I wasn't at that meeting.


Propaganda is to a Democracy what violence is to a Dictatorship
Never underestimate the significance of "significant."
NG Politics Discussion 101

BBS Signature
A-Carrot-By-Dr-Riot
A-Carrot-By-Dr-Riot
  • Member since: Dec. 11, 2002
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Member
Level 12
Blank Slate
Response to The ignorance of some Feb. 7th, 2004 @ 02:04 PM Reply

At 2/6/04 04:03 PM, kada wrote: the scary part isnt the ignorance of americans but those that are aware of whats going on and dont give a fuck. I mentioned to someone that weve killed thousands of civillians, and that all of saddams crimes stopped after the gulf war (first one). He didnt care, still felt bush was great.

Whoa, you mean when you presented him with a bunch of skewed propaganda and subjective data he refused to change his opinion. What is this country coming to. Maybe you should call him a racist, that might help.

DeathSimian
DeathSimian
  • Member since: Aug. 20, 2003
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Member
Level 08
Blank Slate
Response to The ignorance of some Feb. 7th, 2004 @ 04:22 PM Reply

As some of you may know, the Washington state caucuses began today.

I live in an extremely conservative community. All across my city, you'll see signs saying "Support Our President", etc. Basically, if you live in my town, you're considered conservative until proven otherwise.

I had no faith in my community until today. At the caucus, MANY republicans showed up, not to protest, but to show their support for the democratic candidates. Even though they couldn't vote, these people showed up to let people know that even as republicans, they will vote for whoever the democrats choose to run against Bush, just because they can't take another 4 years of him!

That, to me, really shows how bad our Bush situation is getting. I'm very proud of all of them for sticking their heads out like this.

bumcheekcity
bumcheekcity
  • Member since: Jan. 19, 2003
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Member
Level 27
Blank Slate
Response to The ignorance of some Feb. 7th, 2004 @ 05:34 PM Reply

At 2/7/04 04:22 PM, DeathSimian wrote: That, to me, really shows how bad our Bush situation is getting. I'm very proud of all of them for sticking their heads out like this.

Thanks for writing that. You actually put a smile on my face, and i've been reading diazepam's posts, so that's hard.

DeathSimian
DeathSimian
  • Member since: Aug. 20, 2003
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Member
Level 08
Blank Slate
Response to The ignorance of some Feb. 7th, 2004 @ 11:53 PM Reply

At 2/7/04 05:34 PM, bumcheekcity wrote:
At 2/7/04 04:22 PM, DeathSimian wrote: That, to me, really shows how bad our Bush situation is getting. I'm very proud of all of them for sticking their heads out like this.
Thanks for writing that. You actually put a smile on my face, and i've been reading diazepam's posts, so that's hard.

Hehe, listening to that guy for an hour straight would probably convince me to kill myself for lack of any hope in all the human race.

BWS
BWS
  • Member since: Jun. 5, 2003
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Member
Level 24
Blank Slate
Response to The ignorance of some Feb. 8th, 2004 @ 03:24 AM Reply

At 2/7/04 10:21 AM, D2KVirus wrote: Why should I "hear you out" when you're going straight into defensive mode, calling me a "sanctimonious bastard" and promptly expending as much effort as possible to paint me as an asshole? Didn't you look around and notice that's what the whole concept of RAT is?

This is obviously going nowhere fast because there is a lack of communication going on here. Look, what im saying is that your saying is extremely biased and untrue; and yes, since im an American and youre implying that we are all like this, I do have a reason to state otherwise; I dont have to be the entirety, because youre basing this on all Americans. Also, I can pick up sarcasm very well, but it seems to be very clear from most of your posts that you really do view most Americans in this way. So, what im getting at is that I dont feel it is right to label all Americans this way.

D2Kvirus
D2Kvirus
  • Member since: Jan. 31, 2001
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Member
Level 38
Filmmaker
Response to The ignorance of some Feb. 11th, 2004 @ 10:55 AM Reply

At 2/8/04 03:24 AM, BWS wrote:
This is obviously going nowhere fast because there is a lack of communication going on here. Look, what im saying is that your saying is extremely biased and untrue; and yes, since im an American and youre implying that we are all like this, I do have a reason to state otherwise; I dont have to be the entirety, because youre basing this on all Americans. Also, I can pick up sarcasm very well, but it seems to be very clear from most of your posts that you really do view most Americans in this way. So, what im getting at is that I dont feel it is right to label all Americans this way.

Would the lack of communication stem from when you go haring off, claiming I'm a sanctimonious bastard?

You seem to forget the easiest and best way to get to a statment is through experience. Now, I could rattle off a list of names that all subscribe to this theory BY THE LETTER, but I assume that you can take a rough guess and name a good five or six of them without breaking a sweat. Or I could mention that I used to use the IMDb boards until I got sick and fucking tired of the self-appointed moral crusaders (no, not Mods - just predictible blockers) shooting down anything that doesn't subscribe to their rhetorical bullshit and trying to anchor debate if it goes in a direction they don't like. Or ones that start flame wars as a defence mechanism to deflect attention. Or just say "Jimsween."

I'm sure there's an intelligent American out there, that formulates their own opinions and debates rationally. It's just the small issue of finding one (yes, it feels this way so bloody often...) that gets in the way.

It's not a handful, it's not even dozens - try hundreds that have shown these traits. BBS posters, journalists, Dixie Chicks fans, right up to the Government.

Yes, every nation has a variation of this theme, but most of the time it is looked upon as a sick joke (Rational British Thinking only seems to apply to OAPs and football hooligans, for example) - and doesn't dominate the daily discourse.


Propaganda is to a Democracy what violence is to a Dictatorship
Never underestimate the significance of "significant."
NG Politics Discussion 101

BBS Signature
BWS
BWS
  • Member since: Jun. 5, 2003
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Member
Level 24
Blank Slate
Response to The ignorance of some Feb. 11th, 2004 @ 04:26 PM Reply

At 2/11/04 10:55 AM, D2KVirus wrote: Would the lack of communication stem from when you go haring off, claiming I'm a sanctimonious bastard?

Or maybe it comes from where I say that your attitude and arguments make you come off as such. Or maybe it comes from the fact that you classify all Americans in such a way regardless of any other variable involved. Your views are very superficial on this subject, and unless youre being sarcastic, youre acting like an asshole.


You seem to forget the easiest and best way to get to a statment is through experience. Now, I could rattle off a list of names that all subscribe to this theory BY THE LETTER, but I assume that you can take a rough guess and name a good five or six of them without breaking a sweat.

How many people do you associate with, face to face, on a regular basis, that are from the United States? And I would love to hear this theory as well.

Or I could mention [...] shooting down anything that doesn't subscribe to their rhetorical bullshit and trying to anchor debate if it goes in a direction they don't like.

And that is different from this forum? I could say the same about you regarding the issue of "shooting down anything that doesnt subscribe to [your] 'rhetorical bullshit'." A lot of the people on here are the same way except that they probably share a lot of your political views. So, let me guess: if you disagree, its "rhetorical bullshit," and if you agree it is perfect and airtight logic, right?

I'm sure there's an intelligent American out there, that formulates their own opinions and debates rationally. It's just the small issue of finding one (yes, it feels this way so bloody often...) that gets in the way.

Yes, there is, and im one of them. But im sure that youll probably disregard everything that I say because, heavens no! my political views differ from yours. Does that imply that im obviously wrong, irrational, and brainwashed thus nothing I say logical? Im curious about something, so let me ask: did you go to college? Where, and for what?

Yes, every nation has a variation of this theme [...].

Of course they do; its called a stereotype. You cannot classify the whole by the actions/opinions of a few. You ought to stop being so superficial.

__________________________________________________________________________
Take for example the picture below. Now, should I assume that you are ignorant because you do not know what it means? Should I furthermore insist that you are illogical because you do not know what this is used for? It is logical, quite logical. Most people have no idea what this is, so does that imply that most people are illogical and ignorant?

Everyone is not a Political Science Major, okay? Many of the people you meet on these forums have no clue about some of the things they talk about once you really get into it. A lot of the things said here are views and opinions, and on top of that, a lot of these views are very superficial because the issues are much more complex than people realize.

The ignorance of some

BWS
BWS
  • Member since: Jun. 5, 2003
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Member
Level 24
Blank Slate
Response to The ignorance of some Feb. 11th, 2004 @ 04:29 PM Reply

Its a bit arbitrary, but im going to post the image again in hopes thats it doesnt look like complete shit!

The ignorance of some

bumcheekcity
bumcheekcity
  • Member since: Jan. 19, 2003
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Member
Level 27
Blank Slate
Response to The ignorance of some Feb. 11th, 2004 @ 04:42 PM Reply

At 2/11/04 04:29 PM, BWS wrote: Its a bit arbitrary, but im going to post the image again in hopes thats it doesnt look like complete shit!

Sorry, it does. But I understand what you're saying anyway., It's readable if you have aa clue about maths.

BWS
BWS
  • Member since: Jun. 5, 2003
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Member
Level 24
Blank Slate
Response to The ignorance of some Feb. 11th, 2004 @ 04:54 PM Reply

At 2/11/04 04:42 PM, bumcheekcity wrote: Sorry, it does. But I understand what you're saying anyway., It's readable if you have aa clue about maths.

I know! Resaved it and put it in paint, and it looks fine...I cant imagine why it is screwed up. Its readable to an extent I suppose.

What it says is:
f(x)= 1/2*(a sub zero) + {Sigma[a sub n][cos(nx)]n=1...infinity} + {Sigma[b sub n][sin(nx)]n=1...infinity}

Blah. Im going off on a tangent (pun not intended).

RedSkunk
RedSkunk
  • Member since: Sep. 13, 2003
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Member
Level 32
Blank Slate
Response to The ignorance of some Feb. 11th, 2004 @ 05:58 PM Reply

If you highlight it it's much more readable


The one thing force produces is resistance.

BBS Signature
mrpopenfresh
mrpopenfresh
  • Member since: Jul. 17, 2001
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Member
Level 25
Blank Slate
Response to The ignorance of some Feb. 11th, 2004 @ 06:04 PM Reply

What is that anyways?

bumcheekcity
bumcheekcity
  • Member since: Jan. 19, 2003
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Member
Level 27
Blank Slate
Response to The ignorance of some Feb. 11th, 2004 @ 06:04 PM Reply

At 2/11/04 04:54 PM, BWS wrote: What it says is:
f(x)= 1/2*(a sub zero) + {Sigma[a sub n][cos(nx)]n=1...infinity} + {Sigma[b sub n][sin(nx)]n=1...infinity}

Purely out of interest, what does this equasion tell us?

BWS
BWS
  • Member since: Jun. 5, 2003
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Member
Level 24
Blank Slate
Response to The ignorance of some Feb. 12th, 2004 @ 01:19 AM Reply

Okay,
What it is:
There are also formulas needed in order to get the a_0, a_n, and b_n and they are based on integrals of the formula at hand. It is called a Fourier Series.
What it means:
There are many applications for this. It deals with harmonic functions such a trigonometric functions and what have you. It represents a function by turning it into a series. This series cranks out polynomial estimations and the amount needed depends on your interval of convergence. The closer you want to represent the function, the more you crank out; thats why is becomes exact as it heads towards infinity.

As crazy as it sounds, I really cant explain it better than this.

RedSkunk
RedSkunk
  • Member since: Sep. 13, 2003
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Member
Level 32
Blank Slate
Response to The ignorance of some Feb. 12th, 2004 @ 01:22 AM Reply

god, math blows. I refuse to take any math courses. Enviro-sci are interesting and count.

The formula looks so familiar, I used it acouple years ago in some math class..


The one thing force produces is resistance.

BBS Signature
TheShrike
TheShrike
  • Member since: Jan. 5, 2001
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Member
Level 39
Gamer
Response to The ignorance of some Feb. 12th, 2004 @ 01:24 AM Reply

BWS, I want you to have my children.


"A witty quote proves nothing."
~Voltaire

BBS Signature