New Topic Respond to this Topic
UVSoaked
UVSoaked
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 23
Artist
Response to Stop buying computers! Jul. 30th, 2009 @ 11:35 AM Reply

At 7/30/09 11:25 AM, Grubby wrote: I would never build a a laptop.

Laptops are meant to be sleek, portable, well polished, compact, and feature rich for a small size, something that's very hard to achieve by trying to squeeze all the parts magically together in a laptop kit.

Exactly.

BBS Signature
Idocreating
Idocreating
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 31
Gamer
Response to Stop buying computers! Jul. 30th, 2009 @ 12:31 PM Reply

Companies that sell pre-built computers exist much like the way car companies exist.

Many people do not have the time, skill or patience to build a machine from the ground up. How many people do you know built a kit car?

Zanuha
Zanuha
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 07
Blank Slate
Response to Stop buying computers! Jul. 30th, 2009 @ 12:36 PM Reply

At 7/30/09 09:59 AM, Frank-The-Hedgehog wrote: Too lazy, buying is faster.

go to the shop, buy a crappy computer, go home.
go to the shop, buy awesome parts for the same price as the crappy computer, go home, spend an hour or two building it, play crysis on max settings. worth it?

Sig made by SuspiciousPenguin

BBS Signature
TacoFreak
TacoFreak
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 39
Blank Slate
Response to Stop buying computers! Jul. 30th, 2009 @ 12:44 PM Reply

At 7/30/09 12:31 PM, Idocreating wrote: Companies that sell pre-built computers exist much like the way car companies exist.

Many people do not have the time, skill or patience to build a machine from the ground up. How many people do you know built a kit car?

Are you a retard or something? When I was building a computer for the first timeit took me a couple of hours. Also it was a fun experience.

citricsquid
citricsquid
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 23
Blank Slate
Response to Stop buying computers! Jul. 30th, 2009 @ 12:46 PM Reply

At 7/30/09 12:36 PM, Darth-Zanuha wrote: go to the shop, buy a crappy computer, go home.
go to the shop, buy awesome parts for the same price as the crappy computer, go home, spend an hour or two building it, play crysis on max settings. worth it?

you assume people only use computers for crysis.

Alfie
Alfie
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 46
Gamer
Response to Stop buying computers! Jul. 30th, 2009 @ 12:50 PM Reply

I prefer store-buying computers, then adding alot of stuff from my old computer (EG, my old harddrive + an empty new one = win)

sushi13
sushi13
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 46
Gamer
Response to Stop buying computers! Jul. 30th, 2009 @ 12:52 PM Reply

I'm planning to build a top-of-the-line PC in the next few months. Fuck buying pre-made ones. I may have plenty of money but I'm not gonna waste it.

ThoseSneakyFrench
ThoseSneakyFrench
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 21
Blank Slate
Response to Stop buying computers! Jul. 30th, 2009 @ 12:55 PM Reply

You people are idiots. This isn't about other people or laptops or cars. This is about YOU and DESKTOP computers. In YOUR situation, would you rather go out and buy a more expensive, lower quality product just to get some instant gratification, or spend a day or two on newegg and google to order something you can do yourself, be proud of, and make cheaper?

For the record, building a car is a TERRIBLE comparison to building a desktop. Building a computer requires a screwdriver and some knowledge. Home brewing a vehicle takes tools and years of mechanic experience. Show me where you can learn to build a car in two days? In reality, there isn't even that much to be known about assembling a computer. The sum is maybe 3 or 4 articles about the same size as my OP. If you took the time to read that, why the hell can't you build a computer?

Zanuha
Zanuha
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 07
Blank Slate
Response to Stop buying computers! Jul. 30th, 2009 @ 06:09 PM Reply

At 7/30/09 12:46 PM, citricsquid wrote:
At 7/30/09 12:36 PM, Darth-Zanuha wrote: go to the shop, buy a crappy computer, go home.
you assume people only use computers for crysis.

Crysis is by far and to my knowledge one of, if not THE most CPU/graphics intensive game out there. i generally use it to refer to high performance computers.

nub.

BBS Signature
citricsquid
citricsquid
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 23
Blank Slate
Response to Stop buying computers! Jul. 30th, 2009 @ 06:12 PM Reply

At 7/30/09 06:09 PM, Darth-Zanuha wrote: Crysis is by far and to my knowledge one of, if not THE most CPU/graphics intensive game out there. i generally use it to refer to high performance computers.
nub.

I know that, nub. What if I want my computer for posting on the bbs and word processing, or what if I just want to make pictures in paint? Not everyone wants to play games, that was my point. dick.

Zanuha
Zanuha
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 07
Blank Slate
Response to Stop buying computers! Jul. 30th, 2009 @ 06:16 PM Reply

At 7/30/09 12:55 PM, ThoseSneakyFrench wrote: For the record, building a car is a TERRIBLE comparison to building a desktop. Building a computer requires a screwdriver and some knowledge. Home brewing a vehicle takes tools and years of mechanic experience. Show me where you can learn to build a car in two days? In reality, there isn't even that much to be known about assembling a computer. The sum is maybe 3 or 4 articles about the same size as my OP. If you took the time to read that, why the hell can't you build a computer?

agreed. most computer parts are snap-on, maybe connect a wire or two to the power supply, if not talking about the motherboard or the power supply itself. seriously, anyone can search computer upgrade on google and there is a page that teaches you how to upgrade and replace computer parts in less than two hours. combine with an hour of google and forums, cash, an hour in the computer store and an antistatic wristband, and you know and have everything you need to get a pwnzor computer.

BBS Signature
sirevil
sirevil
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 21
Artist
Response to Stop buying computers! Jul. 30th, 2009 @ 06:21 PM Reply

i have a mac, i got it in 2000, i still work on photoshop and video with it, and i can do a bit of 3D with it (not a lot i can do in 3D but some). but my plan is to get a high end mac pro tower next year that will also last me a good long time

McZero
McZero
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 12
Audiophile
Response to Stop buying computers! Jul. 30th, 2009 @ 11:11 PM Reply

Thank you for providing me the inforation I need to build my own computer. Im going to a local computer shop to look for parts and cases. Is there anything you reccomend over other thaings? Like AMD or Intel, etc. I can take stuff apart, and rebuild it easily, all I need are some pointers. I am looking for something that can handle Oblivion on Very High with a bunch of mods. Among that I want to make sure that I wont have to update my PC for a while(2-4 years). My dad says all we need to do is fix our Dell XPS which we bought 2 years ago. Can I salvage any parts?

ThoseSneakyFrench
ThoseSneakyFrench
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 21
Blank Slate
Response to Stop buying computers! Jul. 30th, 2009 @ 11:23 PM Reply

At 7/30/09 11:11 PM, McZero wrote: Thank you for providing me the inforation I need to build my own computer. Im going to a local computer shop to look for parts and cases.

I wish I had a local computer shop where I lived. You could probably get some great prices on cases, not having to pay shipping.

Like AMD or Intel, etc.

It depends on your budget.

I can take stuff apart, and rebuild it easily, all I need are some pointers.

That's a very good ability to have for something like this. Compatibility is self explanatory for the most part, and everything fits where it looks like it does. You'll have no problem.

If you ever need help putting together a cart, you can feel free to PM me or ask in the computer construction crew. I would suggest doing the latter, as my opinion isn't perfect, and having more input is never a bad thing.

Hoeloe
Hoeloe
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 37
Game Developer
Response to Stop buying computers! Aug. 11th, 2009 @ 08:57 AM Reply

My computer's a custom build. I get all the pieces from my uncle. Most of the time he puts it together, but I had to do it for mine.

In fact, it was a miracle that installing a new motherboard worked perfectly without any problems, particularly one running windows.

Song of the Firefly is on Steam Greenlight and Facebook. Give them a look and support the project!
------------------------------

BBS Signature
Wolfos
Wolfos
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 25
Game Developer
Response to Stop buying computers! Aug. 11th, 2009 @ 09:40 AM Reply

I have a custom made one, but he didnt say the graphics card was ASUS

Matt1010
Matt1010
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 07
Blank Slate
Response to Stop buying computers! Aug. 11th, 2009 @ 10:01 AM Reply

At 7/29/09 03:53 PM, ThoseSneakyFrench wrote: Here's a low-end Dell computer. The most I would use this computer for is email and word processing, maybe playing some flash games.

Building a PC isn't always going to 100% save you money. I bought a tower from futureshop which came with a Q6600 Processor and a 24" Monitor. Basically if I ordered those two online at the time it would of run me about the same price, so I than took the Q6600 out and kept the monitor, built my own PC, got a P5Q motherboard, 8800 GTS and about 8 Gigs of ram. Than used the old tower and rebuilt a PC for my brother, just swapped his Dual Core into it.

Zanuha
Zanuha
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 07
Blank Slate
Response to Stop buying computers! Aug. 14th, 2009 @ 06:26 AM Reply

At 7/30/09 06:12 PM, citricsquid wrote:
At 7/30/09 06:09 PM, Darth-Zanuha wrote: Crysis is by far and to my knowledge one of, if not THE most CPU/graphics intensive game out there. i generally use it to refer to high performance computers.
nub.
I know that, nub. What if I want my computer for posting on the bbs and word processing, or what if I just want to make pictures in paint? Not everyone wants to play games, that was my point. dick.

400 dollars minimum for a low-end computer prepacked. you can get a low-end mobo for ~50 bucks, a CD/DVD drive for 10-20 bucks, 150 gig hard drive about 50 bucks, a 300W power supply for 20 bucks, nameless RAM for 10 bucks, a graphics card for some 40 bucks, a case for 20 buck, ubuntu for free and avast for free. $200.

BBS Signature
citricsquid
citricsquid
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 23
Blank Slate
Response to Stop buying computers! Aug. 14th, 2009 @ 06:45 AM Reply

At 8/14/09 06:26 AM, Darth-Zanuha wrote: 400 dollars minimum for a low-end computer prepacked. you can get a low-end mobo for ~50 bucks, a CD/DVD drive for 10-20 bucks, 150 gig hard drive about 50 bucks, a 300W power supply for 20 bucks, nameless RAM for 10 bucks, a graphics card for some 40 bucks, a case for 20 buck, ubuntu for free and avast for free. $200.

So you're suggesting that someone who only wants to use a computer for a few hours a week who doesn't necessarily understand how anything in a computer works goes out and buys all the stuff separately and then builds it themselves? What a fucking awful suggestion.

Icnatspeel
Icnatspeel
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 01
Blank Slate
Response to Stop buying computers! Aug. 14th, 2009 @ 07:39 AM Reply

I got my computer from a store and so far it works pretty good. I would have built it myself, but it was just easier for me to pay for it to be built. It didn't cost that much extra either. Plus it came with 30 days of free antivirus software. The only gay part is vista...

CogSpin
CogSpin
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 16
Blank Slate
Response to Stop buying computers! Aug. 14th, 2009 @ 08:09 AM Reply

The one thing I've noticed is that it's your operating system that is slowing down your computer most fo the time.

If you install Puppy Linux onto a memory stick and run that on your computer, every application opens and runs instantly.

cogspin

Igotaname13
Igotaname13
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 13
Blank Slate
Response to Stop buying computers! Aug. 14th, 2009 @ 08:16 AM Reply

related?

"We will hang the Capitalist with the rope they sell us!"
-Joseph Stalin

iscrulz
iscrulz
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Supporter
Level 60
Movie Buff
Response to Stop buying computers! Aug. 14th, 2009 @ 08:19 AM Reply

I am going for my next desktop get ripped off and buy a do it yourself bundle computer from best buy I will save lots of cash without the labor and services.

£5 man slut for hire. Inquire within

Wi/Ht? #45

BBS Signature
urbn
urbn
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 18
Programmer
Response to Stop buying computers! Aug. 14th, 2009 @ 08:21 AM Reply

At 7/29/09 03:57 PM, Attacknun wrote: 50 gigs of ROM.

LOL.

At 7/29/09 03:59 PM, Acid wrote: You need to buy an OS too when you build pcs

Last time I checked 90% of Linux distros were free, or you pay like £10 for a CD/DVD and a manual.
(And he did say Ubuntu was a good way of saving money).

BBS Signature
Zanuha
Zanuha
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 07
Blank Slate
Response to Stop buying computers! Aug. 15th, 2009 @ 05:32 AM Reply

At 8/14/09 06:45 AM, citricsquid wrote:
At 8/14/09 06:26 AM, Darth-Zanuha wrote: 400 dollars minimum for a low-end computer prepacked.
So you're suggesting that someone who only wants to use a computer for a few hours a week who doesn't necessarily understand how anything in a computer works goes out and buys all the stuff separately and then builds it themselves? What a fucking awful suggestion.

Most internet computers stores also have the option to have someone build the computer for them for a small fee.

BBS Signature
ThoseSneakyFrench
ThoseSneakyFrench
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 21
Blank Slate
Response to Stop buying computers! Sep. 5th, 2009 @ 08:38 AM Reply

As an addition to this little PSA, I'd like to truly show you how easy it is to build a computer. Newegg has provided us with excellent video guides that demonstrate every step start to finish. PART 1 PART 2

It really is no ordeal. Yesterday I built a computer for a family friend and made $50 off of it. From when I started unpacking parts to when windows was fully running, took a little under 2 hours. It was fun, too. That's the full extent of being in the know about computers. Profit.

On the other end of the spectrum is ignorance. My friend's stepdad, who I was going to build a computer for, instead decided to get his iMAC G3 fixed for $190. The G3 is a computer from the late 90s that wouldn't sell for 1/3 as much as he spent. Stupidity is the businessman's boon, and when you can't make an educated buy you WILL waste money.

1Tyla1
1Tyla1
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 03
Musician
Response to Stop buying computers! Sep. 5th, 2009 @ 08:51 AM Reply

Jesus. I think I might try this out when I get the money to shift my pile-of-crap Desktop. You sure you're 14?

Tott
Tott
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 31
Gamer
Response to Stop buying computers! Sep. 5th, 2009 @ 08:55 AM Reply

I have never bought a computer, I have parents >:)

BLITZ MY CHAKRAS.

BBS Signature
tsdeath1
tsdeath1
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 05
Blank Slate
Response to Stop buying computers! Sep. 5th, 2009 @ 10:11 AM Reply

At 7/29/09 03:56 PM, Ejit wrote: No

I require like £20 per hour of work, and am fairly retarded, so buying computers prebuilt is cheaper for me.

I don't have to pay delivery for each single part.

I can buy in bulk.

I'm happy to pay employers to build a computer for me, it would be cheaper to make paper myself but that doesn't mean I'm going to do it.

i dont see how it could take you over an hour to build a computer.

BBS Signature
RollLip
RollLip
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 19
Blank Slate
Response to Stop buying computers! Sep. 5th, 2009 @ 11:32 AM Reply

At 7/29/09 03:56 PM, Calintz wrote: Shity economy, cheap computers now is the time to buy, buy, buy!

i found a site where you can choose the parts you wanna buy then the people there will assemble it for you. its not a rip-off but assembling your computer yourself is a bit better

"A Disgrace to the Human Race" -the kind words of box-killa